Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Is The Most Beautiful Sounding Language

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(salam) Shadow_of_Light,

I'm glad you retorted my comment because now I needed to look some things up. Neither of us, so far, has won any Accuracy Awards.

Here's what I found in the American Heritage Dictionary:

The adjective for "tone" is "tonal"

The adverb is "tonally"

tonic n. 1. Anything that invigorates, refreshes or restores. 2. Music The primary tone of a diatonic scale.

---adjective. 1. Producing or stimulating physical or mental vigor. 2. Music Pertaining to or based on the tonic.

from the greek tonos a stretching, tone.

diatonic is the eight notes of a Western musical scale.

So, "tonal' language is what we should have written. Mandarin has 4+1(the soft particle), Cantonese has 9 tones.(So I was told in Mandarin class.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Arabic - When spoken by someone who doesn't sound like they are trying to cough up a porcupine  Farsi - Mainly because it is a language that you can thoroughly express yourself in. Which is also the r

While we are at it, here is the list of the 3 most ugly languages i know of:   1. Vietnamese - I seriously want to choke someone when i hear someone speak this language 2. German - Although a strong l

Silence

• Advanced Member

And 'g' as in 'game', hard 'd', hard 't',

Such a great language and so poor in consonants.

Is this also true that native Arabic speakers have a hard time learning English because Arabic is a Semitic language and as such has very different phonology than those who natively speak Indo-European languages like Farsi and Urdu?

Officially yes, those sounds - 'g', hard 'd', hard 't' are not found in Arabic however people who have learnt English a bit and can speak a little of it can pronounce those sounds as well. 

What I found funny is that some native Arabs replace 'J' with a 'G'. So, if someone named Jabir will be called out as Gabir. Or Jabal (mountain) will be said as 'Gabal'...

One of my friends in Bahrain mentioned that the Shias there pronounce 'jeem' as it is (so Jabir will be called out as Jabir) however the non-Shias pronounce it with a 'G'. So, even whilst holding a normal conversation, one can discern which sect a person is affiliated to.

Some of the people I've come across do have a lot of trouble picking up English. Even the simplest of words can sometimes be a tongue twister for these folks. It's been two years I'm trying to teach somebody correctly say the word 'Congratulations' - he has said it in all possible ways but the correct one!

• Veteran Member

Salam

Tonic has other meanings too:

- pertaining to  tone or accent in speech

- using differences in tone or pitch to distinguish between words that are otherwise phonemically identical.

The first time I saw the term "tonic accent" in a book by Ladefoged.

• Veteran Member

Most beautiful? I don't know. Most fun/interesting are German, Urdu/Hindi, and English, and probably other hybrid awkwardly mixed languages that I haven't learned about yet.

Urdu-influenced common Hindi is acceptable but literary Hindi which derives its advanced vocabulary from Sanskrit and Prakrit is as awful as when you put lots of consonants in a wrong order without enough vowels, and ignorantly insist it's the right way to pronounce words :dry:

• Veteran Member

^ what I meant like Urdu accent that westernized. guys and girls speak. Obviously Urdu has a accent but I probably meant not of bombiya or very thick Karachi accent. Abbay yar mar wa diya. You will get from sentence what I meant.

I meant spoken by 'westernized' guys and girls. I like that. I don't like thick Karachi accent. Abbay yar mar-wa diya. You will get from this sentence what I meant. Again apologize for it. I am punjabi and and I hate punjabi most. Just to clear things up.

Ps posting from mobile

I get it. That thick Karachi accent is street lingo, a mixture of different Urdu dialects/speaking styles influenced by several other languages. In more.. umm cultured circles you'll find a better "pure" accent. Move up a notch (and this group is fast diminishing) you'll find Urdu Zia Mohyeddin style.

• Moderators

Urdu-influenced common Hindi is acceptable but literary Hindi which derives its advanced vocabulary from Sanskrit and Prakrit is as awful as when you put lots of consonants in a wrong order without enough vowels, and ignorantly insist it's the right way to pronounce words :dry:

I am only familiar with Hindi which sounds identical to Urdu. What I find interesting is that the vocabulary and structure comes from a variety of sources.

• Advanced Member

Silence

^^ Haha , i agree but sometimes not always from gold.

im in surprise that no one said Portuguese , its

so soft & beautiful. thats number 1 most

beautiful for me ;) (just listen to the Disney songs in Portuguese & u will love it!)

also Farsi , Spanish , german (sometimes) , Arabic , & Greek is lovely too. I find mostly Medditeranean languages r beautiful but not Turkish its sounds too strong. Chinese is super annoying though Lol.

Edited by Mlle. Advice
  • Advanced Member

Bismillah

Salam

Comparison between Arabic and Hebrew by two Palestinian Christians:

(they switch in the middle of it to make it more objective)

Arabic sounds more beautiful to my ears.  And there's no comparison the beauty of the Quran to anything else:

Edited by ImamAliLover