Sign in to follow this  
Repentant

Need Opinions: Ereader Or Not?

Rate this topic

I want to get into reading again and was contemplating buying an ereader (one of those $60ish ones, can't justify anything higher). I do have a notebook laptop with an 11in screen, should I use that as an ereader instead?

Or should I stick to hard-copy books even though that will be more expensive in the long run?

I want to get into reading again and was contemplating buying an ereader (one of those $60ish ones, can't justify anything higher). I do have a notebook laptop with an 11in screen, should I use that as an ereader instead?

Or should I stick to hard-copy books even though that will be more expensive in the long run?

In my personal experience, an e-reader doesn't replace proper books; however, I have friends for whom it has proven to be an effective replacement. An e-reader is indeed cheaper in the long run, as there are many, many free ebooks available online. 

I would personally advise getting one if it's for a good price. I picked mine up for about £30 ($50ish?), and I have put books on it that I'm unlikely to ever buy, but would like to read. Just make sure that you get one that isn't a tablet. The good thing about e-readers is that they're gentle on the eyes, allowing you to spend outs reading from their screens - unlike a tablet or laptop screen. 

The thing I hate about a lot of these devices is that they often don't tell you what page you're on. I don't care about having read 62% of the book, I want to know the page number I'm on.

I think it depends on whether you can stand to read on a screen or not. I can never concentrate on any reading, be it a textbook chapter or a novel, if I'm reading on an electronic device. For the price it's pretty good, and it saves you the trouble of having stacks and stacks of books.

So please tell me any android e-reader [not tablet] that works PDF and other formats?

I love reading from the actual book and don't like reading from the screen but I have not tried a gentle-on-the-eyes e-reader, only computer screen.

All we have available here are tablets. E-readers, if they are in the market, I don't know where to get. But I can try if I know what I'm looking at.

Any suggestions?

So please tell me any android e-reader [not tablet] that works PDF and other formats?

I love reading from the actual book and don't like reading from the screen but I have not tried a gentle-on-the-eyes e-reader, only computer screen.

All we have available here are tablets. E-readers, if they are in the market, I don't know where to get. But I can try if I know what I'm looking at.

Any suggestions?

ereaders have the same affect on the eyes as paper. you can read an ereader for hours and it won't hurt your eyes.

ereaders have the same affect on the eyes as paper. you can read an ereader for hours and it won't hurt your eyes.

That depends on the reader. LCD screens, like tablets for example, will strain your eyes. This can be reduced by decreasing the brightness.

I have an old LibrePro text only black and white ereader. Other than having no wifi and occasional difficulty with some PDF files, I like it very much. I also have a kindle fire tablet. The tablet usually gets used as a video viewer by my children. I don't even bother trying to take it back from them anymore.

Any suggestions?

Most android e-readers double as tablets. I don't know of any that don't.

You can find them here:

http://www.rizshopping.com.pk/barns-nobles/3688-nook-wi-fi-by-barnes-noble-in-pakistan.html

http://homeshopping.pk/products/Deals-Nook-Touch-in-Pakistan.html

http://homeshopping.pk/products/Kindle-Paperwhite-in-Pakistan.html 

Your best bet is to head to your local electronics market to get a close up view. There are several Chinese e-readers available too, though I don't know if they are of the same quality or not.

E-readers are inexpensive and the books cheaper (or free, if you know where to look for them). In Desiland however an e-reader is going to put a big big dent in my wallet.

Edited by Brained

Most android e-readers double as tablets. I don't know of any that don't.

You can find them here:

Cheers. Guess I'll have to get one of those Nook ones. I am wary of unwalleting more than PKR 10,000 for such a thing. I can buy 15 foreign printed books for that price :donno:

I want to hold and touch and see the thing before I commit to buy. Where I live this is not a possibility. Probably I should visit some big city to check out if those e-readers are sold in electronics shops someplace. I haven't seen one in Lahore so far. Maybe it's just an online thing.

Edited by Marbles

Cheers. Guess I'll have to get one of those Nook ones. I am wary of unwalleting more than PKR 10,000 for such a thing. I can buy 15 foreign printed books for that price :donno:

I want to hold and touch and see the thing before I commit to buy. Where I live this is not a possibility. Probably I should visit some big city to check out if those e-readers are sold in electronics shops someplace. I haven't seen one in Lahore so far. Maybe it's just an online thing.

Half of my post went missing for some reason  :donno:.

I don't know if your city has a big electronics market but Lahore should have one. 

E-readers are somewhat of a niche device here, only the tech-savvy have one. The thing is, if you know where to source your books from, it'll be cheaper in the long run. Many (though not all) of those expensive foreign printed books can be downloaded for free, and that's where you'll find an e-reader handy.

(salam)

I guess because I am older I have a different opinion. For me it is the contrast and other readability issues. So I do not like them.

Another point is that pages must be a certain size to be enjoyable -because sometimes I just scan over a writing looking for interesting points- and a page must be smaller than a certain size or I lose focus.

Half of my post went missing for some reason  :donno:.

I don't know if your city has a big electronics market but Lahore should have one. 

E-readers are somewhat of a niche device here, only the tech-savvy have one. The thing is, if you know where to source your books from, it'll be cheaper in the long run. Many (though not all) of those expensive foreign printed books can be downloaded for free, and that's where you'll find an e-reader handy.

I'd like to try a handy reader and find a way to load some books on it (my most preferred file extension if PDF and any other android-friendly file). My aim at the moment is to experiment and see if the experience is as bad as reading a whole book on an endless computer screen with pained and liquid eyes, or is in any better. That's why I am looking for a cheap thing, but then getting a cheap thing might well ruin the experience and make me entrenched in my opinion against the e-readers.

Life is so tricky.

Also, I hear Kindle is wonderful and it's also being sold in Pakistan, but since Amazon forbids its e-book sales in Pakistan, I wonder what those people who have it do with their Kindles?

I had one of these things a while ago. (maybe 3 or 4 years)

It was an Amazon kindle. I got it as a gift. I had a lot of PDF books I wanted to read but found it hard to read them on the computer so I thought a kindle would be a useful tool.

But it wasn't. When you have hundreds of books at your disposal in the palm of your hand, it's hard to buckle down and commit to one of them to the end. Also, navigating through pages was a pain.

So based on my own experience, I would not recommend it. But everyone is different. I am sure there are many people who are perfectly capable of reading books using one of these devices. I am not one of them, however.

Also, I hear Kindle is wonderful and it's also being sold in Pakistan, but since Amazon forbids its e-book sales in Pakistan, I wonder what those people who have it do with their Kindles?

They download ebooks for free, from not-so-legal sources. 

They download ebooks for free, from not-so-legal sources. 

Guide me, apart from literature classics and a few very famous books of which you can find illegal copies, how else do they find the books listed on Amazon Kindle store?

Even literature classics are sold free of cost on Amazon itself. All you need is a West-based postal address which you use to register your kindle, prove that address (tricky part), and download the books in public domain. I played with Kindle for PC and used my ex-UK address to register and download Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. But anything else I couldn't download.

Guide me, apart from literature classics and a few very famous books of which you can find illegal copies, how else do they find the books listed on Amazon Kindle store?

Even literature classics are sold free of cost on Amazon itself. All you need is a West-based postal address which you use to register your kindle, prove that address (tricky part), and download the books in public domain. I played with Kindle for PC and used my ex-UK address to register and download Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. But anything else I couldn't download.

There are various blogs that post a huge selection of books. You can also find lots of books on Torrent sites.

(Salam)

You can download most books nowadays illegally (especially fiction novels). The book doesn't have to be that famous but it should be at least "out there". I remember when Rowling released "The Casual Vacancy"... the book could be found in PDF only a few days later even when it wasnt yet available in most bookstores.