Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sher-e-Khuda

Why Be A Shia?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

:) :) Salam Muslim Brothers and Sisters. I wonder sometimes when I see somewhere Sunnis and Shias fighting about "I am right"... This is a Shia forum so I will ask Shias... What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect?? and what are the good things and purities in Shia Sect which are not in Sunni Sect??.... and are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect also?? I shall appreciate separate answers to each questions. I pray and hope that Allah Help us all find the right path.. Amen.

as-salaam `alaykum.

Sunnis are Muslims; and in our school, Sunnis enjoy all of the rights of Muslims. They are to be protected, their meat is halal (if it fits under Qur'anic guidelines), marriage to Sunnis is acceptable, etc. In truth, the name "Sunni" is a beautiful title - it refers to one who follows the Sunna of Allah's Messenger (pbuh). Likewise, the name "Shi`a" is a beautiful title - it refers to one who devotes himself or herself to Muhammad (pbuh) and his family (as). We are Muslims who aspire to be followers of the Book of Allah and the Sunna of His Messenger, and we are Muslims who aspire to be the lovers, supporters, and devotees to the Ahl al-Bayt (as).

It is first relevant to look at who the Qur'an tells us to obey and receive our knowledge from. "...Ask the People of the Reminder if you know not" (16:43) We believe that the People of the Reminder are the Ahl al-Bayt (as). It is upon us to ask them about religious issues.

Allah speaks about the Qur'an and its use of fundamental and allegorical verses. He says, "He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah and those who are firmly grounded in knowledge..." (3:7) This group described at the end of the verse, who Allah describes as a group that is delved into knowledge, consists of Muhammad (pbuh) and the Ahl al-Bayt (as).

Allah commanded full obedience to the Ahl al-Bayt when He revealed, "O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; and if ye have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if ye are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more seemly in the end." (4:59) We see that the Qur'an uses the same "obey" for the Messenger and those in authority, meaning the obedience we give to both are identical. Just as we obey Muhammad (pbuh) in all matters, we are to obey the latter figures in a similar way. These are the Imams (as) of Ahl al-Bayt, who Allah has positioned to rule over the Muslims and interpret Islam to us.

Furthermore, we are to return our matters to the Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as) as per the following ayah: "And if any tidings, whether of safety or fear, come unto them, they noise it abroad, whereas if they had referred it to the messenger and such of them as are in authority, those among them who are able to think out the matter would have known it. If it had not been for the grace of Allah and His mercy ye would have followed Satan, save a few (of you). (4:83)

The identification of `Ali (as) as the first Caliph, as selected by Allah through His Prophet (pbuh), occurred at the Farewell Pilgrimage (Hajj). The announcement was made at Ghadir Khumm and was witnessed by thousands of people. The hadith was transmitted through many authentic chains, and in our view, Allah commanded the Prophet to make this announcement in Surat al-Ma'ida: "O Messenger! Make known that which hath been revealed unto thee from thy Lord (about Ali), for if thou do it not, thou will not have conveyed His message. Allah will protect thee from mankind. Lo! Allah guideth not the disbelieving folk." (5:67) The wilaya (guardianship) of Imam `Ali was the last Islamic obligation made by the Prophet. The hadith can be found below:

O people, Allah the Most Kind the Omniscient has told me that no apostle lives to more than half the age of him who had preceded him. I think I am about to be called (die) and thus I must respond. I am responsible and you are responsible, then what do you say?’ They said, ‘We witness that you have informed, advised and striven. May Allah bless you.’ He said, ‘Do you not bear witness that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and Apostle, and that His Heaven is true, His Hell is true, death is true, the Resurrection after death is true, that there is no doubt that the Day of Judgment will come, and that Allah will resurrect the dead from their graves?’ They said, ‘Yes, we bear witness’. He said, ‘O Allah, bear witness.’ Then he said, ‘O people, Allah is my Lord and I am the lord of the believers. I am worthier of believers than themselves. Of whomsoever I had been Master (Mawla), Ali here is to be his Master. O Allah, be a supporter of whoever supports him (Ali) and an enemy of whoever opposes him.

The significance of this hadith is that the Prophet identified that his mastership extends over the selves of the believers; and that his mastership extends to `Ali. This means, `Ali is the master of all believing men and women in the same way the Prophet is. They both represent the mastership of God on earth.

Furthermore, we find ahadith that support the Imamate of the 12 Imams. The Prophet said: "The (Islamic) religion will continue until the Hour (day of resurrection), having twelve Caliphs for you, all of them will be from Quraysh." These cannot be the Sunni Caliphs, as there have been many dozens and the Hour has not passed. Rather, it is the 12th Imam, and we await the return of the 12th. The Prophet also guaranteed that there would always be a Caliph among the Muslims, and nothing can change that. But who is the Caliph today? For us Shi`a, it is the Mahdi. "It has been narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: The Caliphate will remain among the Quraish even if only two persons are left (on the earth)".

The Prophet told us to hold onto two things (thaqalayn). The Sunnis popularly know this as the Qur'an and Sunna, however, this formula is not found in a single authentic narration. Rather, many authentic hadiths say that the two are the Qur'an and Ahl al-Bayt. "The Messenger of Allah - may Allah bestow peace and benedictions upon him and his Progeny - said: "Verily, I am leaving behind two precious things (thaqalayn) among you: the Book of God and my kindred (`itrah), my household (Ahl al­Bayt), for indeed, the two will never separate until they come back to me by the Pond" The significance of this hadith is the guarantee that the Qur'an and Ahl al-Bayt are not only the two sources of Islam, but that the two are one and the same. You cannot understand the Qur'an without Ahl al-Bayt, and you cannot understand Ahl al-Bayt without the Qur'an. The two compliment each other and are held onto.

Lastly, the recognition of the Imam is wajib. The Imam is our leader in the political and spiritual spheres, and he is the protector and surveyor of the Qur'an and the Sunna. The Prophet said: "Whoso dies and does not recognize the Imam of his time has died the death of jahaliyya" (Ahmad b. Hanbal, al-Musnad, p. 96.)

------

Here are some resources for yu:

Misconceptions of Shi`a Islam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTp1XPNMmQ

Usool al-Kafi in English: Selections from the Books of Intellect and Ignorance, Virtue of Knowledge, Monotheism, and Divine Authority: http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/usul-kafi

The Peak of Eloquence (collection of sermons, letters, and sayings of `Ali b. Abi Talib (as)): http://www.al-islam.org/nahj

Sahifa Sajjadiyya (the earliest book of supplications in Islam, a collection of du`a's of the 4th Imam (as)) http://www.duas.org/sajjadiya/sajjadiya.htm

Risalat al-Huquq (rights in Islam, written by the 4th Imam): http://www.al-islam.org/treatise-rights-risalat-al-huquq-imam-zain-ul-abideen

Edited by Qa'im

(salam) brother. Brother Qa'im hit the nail. I dont have much to add except this article Why is Shia the best religion? and a few rational reasons of why Shia Islam is the true path to take (which means the opposite notion of these are what I have an issue with in sunni Islam).

1. Allah is always guiding, therefore there must be a representative of His on earth at all times. This is where the imams come into play.
  2. Allah's system is perfect, therefore those whom represent His religion and brought His religion must be perfect (infallible), the prophets, messengers, and imams. http://www.al-islam.org/articles/taharah-ismah-masumeen-dr-hatem-abu-shahba#translator%E2%80%99s-preface
  3. Because Allah's system is perfect, and there must be a guide at all times. God's religion cannot be left at the hands of a shura or self election. We beings have no authority from God, nor are we infallible. If the religion falls into our hands, doubt and error falls upon the system of God. It is inevitable. Not only that, but the world is always changing, we need rules and principles regarding our everyday lives. We need a divinely appointed source for such rulings.
  4. Imam's purpose is to guide mankind, protect the deen of Allah and the sunnah of Muhammad A.S. They are to lead us. They are proofs and witnesses of God. Without imams, the sunnah of Muhammad A.S falls into doubt due to the fact that those whom are in charge of representing his sunnah, are imperfect and have no authority from God, thus, their claims are questionable. Not only that, but the Quran needs to be interpreted. We have no jurisdiction to interpret the word of God with our own opinions. We need authorities chosen by God to explain it.
  5. Allah is just, therefore, there is no such thing as total predestination or total free will. It is in between. We have limited free will, and are responsible for our own actions of doing good and forbidding evil.
  6. Therefore, just because there are companions of the prophet doesnt make them special, or they are protected from evil. No, they sin as well, and can commit grave actions. Thus, as Allah says in the quran, we must enjoin good and forbid evil. We must not take any being who does evil and goes against the religion of Allah as a role model. We must make a distinction and call out their incorrect actions so that man does not fall astray. "....and obey not from among them a sinner or an ungrateful one." (Quran 76:24) Therefore we must take the righteous as role models only.

That is all for now. If I think of more reasons, ill post. Check out my signature for links of other lecture videos and articles on Shia Imami Islam.

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

Salam :)  Qaim and Pure Ethics.. You have told me about your views about being Shia is the best etc... My questions were specific.. 3 questions.. First of all, let me try clear your concept... Shia is no religion... The religion is Islam itself... Shia and Sunni are the two Sectoins of this Religion... to declare Shiaism as a new religion... or to say that "Shia Islam" is a religion... it is not appropriate, infact this is kind of rebellion against Islam to add things which improvise the concept of sects, if there was such a thing as "Shia Islam", then our Prophet Muhammad (SALLAH-U-ALAIH-I-WA-AALIHI-WASALLAM) would have told us... Great Muhammad only told us about Islam... he did not use any other word with Islam like "Shia Islam"... Now, I know who Shias are and who Sunnis are. Infact I am a descendent of Imam Ali (A.S.) as well (Alhamdulillah)... About these two sects of Islam (Sunnism and Shiasm) there remain arguments about who is right.. and to think that Sunnis dont believe on the existence of Imams, this is your misunderstanding, I have seen so many Muslims who are Sunnism followers and they believe in Imams.. Infact Sunni scholors believe in Imams. My questions were mainly that:

1. What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

2. What are the good things and purities in Shia Sect of Religion Islam which are not in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

3. Are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect of Religion Islam also??

"Shi`a Islam" is not a religion. Some may use the term to specify what sect they belong to, but "verily, the religion with Allah is al-Islam" (إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِندَ اللَّهِ الإِسْلَـمُ). Shi`a in Arabic means "the party" or "the followers", Shi`at `Ali are the party of `Ali. The title refers to a group, a community, and a movement. We hope and pray to Allah that He honours us with this title, but most of us are unworthy.

Sunnism and Shiism are two methodologies set to obtain the religion of Allah and His Messenger (pbuh). Meaning, the Sunni school and the Shi`a school have set different criteria and principles in seeking the truth. Both schools have systems in place that lead to the Qur'an and Sunna. From the mechanical differences in the sects' methodologies, we get differences of `aqeeda, fiqh, tafsir, historical narrative, and eschatology. So to know the truth, you must research the methodologies of these two sects. You must read and understand how and why the two schools developed. And, in our view, the purest Islam is from the twelve Imams of Ahl al-Bayt.

As for your questions, I will allow someone else to answer them.

Edited by Qa'im

1. What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

Majority of the Sunnis (who do taqleed of the four imams) have ceased ijtehad on many issues. This has resulted in the creation of new sub sects within the four schools like among the followers of Imam Abu Hanifa we see two sect Barelvia & Deobandiya in the sub-continent. Many issues relating to the fiqh are left unanswered or with unsatisfactory results. The Salafis in the Arab region however have continued ijtehad & criticized the strict taqleed of the four imams for which they have been counter criticized especially by the Hanafis. This hostility towards other members in the Sunni clan has weakened the whole sect & it continues to create further division.

2. What are the good things and purities in Shia Sect of Religion Islam which are not in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

As per my research the only edge which Shia Islam has over Sunni Islam is the conduct of Ijtehad (whether right or wrong) by its scholars.

3. Are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect of Religion Islam also??

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

Edited by Invoker

Majority of the Sunnis (who do taqleed of the four imams) have ceased ijtehad on many issues. This has resulted in the creation of new sub sects within the four schools like among the followers of Imam Abu Hanifa we see two sect Barelvia & Deobandiya in the sub-continent. Many issues relating to the fiqh are left unanswered or with unsatisfactory results. The Salafis in the Arab region however have continued ijtehad & criticized the strict taqleed of the four imams for which they have been counter criticized especially by the Hanafis. This hostility towards other members in the Sunni clan has weakened the whole sect & it continues to create further division.

As per my research the only edge which Shia Islam has over Sunni Islam is the conduct of Ijtehad (whether right or wrong) by its scholars.

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

Those who follow four Imams does not believe in rest eight Imams?? Thats bad... and about, Ijtehad, there must be scholars who perform Ijtehad to guide the rest of te nation.. and to cease Ijtehad is I think act of limited approach... also, among Shias,  Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent.... these are severe things that are supposed to be taken care of... when u see these bad things in these sects, they sure seem incomplete and impure at all!!! so why and how come one can be content while following once of these sects??? It is a matter of great confusion and worry..

(salam) brother. I think it is very unfair of you to spread misinformation.

The majority of Shias do not believe in Tahreef of the Quran. In fact, ask the shias on this site and they will give you an answer. How many times have you and a few others brought this issue on this site, and almost every single time, we shias proved to you we do not believe in tahrif. Not only that but ask any of our marjas who are our authorities in our school of thought and they will tell you the same. The quran we have today, is perfect and infallible.

Here are articles from a site representing the Imami Shia Position of the Quran. If it is as you say, that we believe in tahreef why is there not one article on it?

Belief of Shi’a in the Completeness of Qur’an

Beliefs: Do the Shi'ah Believe in a Different Quran

Authenticity of the Quran

Understanding the Uniqueness of the Quran

Tahrif al-Qur'an: A Study of Misconceptions Regarding Corruption of the Qur'anic Text

There is no such thing as a belief in Shia Islam that we must give takfir on sunni scholars or sahaba. We Shias also do follow specific sahaba, so your generalization is wrong. What we do is we make a distinction between the righteous and wrong, and we call out an wrongdoers actions. Here are some articles on our position in this matter:

A Shi’ite View of the Companions

Are Munafiqeen counted among Sahabah?

Why do Shias curse the Sahabah and khalifahs?

Who has the authority to say Muhammad A.S was married to an adulterer? Astagfirullah! No Shia marja or top ulema EVER claimed such a thing. Can we look at the face of Muhammad A.S on judgement day and believe in such a lie? What we shias do is call this idea out from your own hadith books. Its sad that you have attributed such a lie to shias, yet never understood why we shias always bring forth and argue against such a lie from your own books. Anyway here are articles in relation to Aisha and you can see for yourself that we dare not accuse the wife of Muhammad A.S of such a thing:

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 5

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 6

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 7

We Shias believe Mutah was never made forbidden by Muhammad A.S. Simple as that. Nor did Allah ever forbid it in the quran. How can something be allowed before and then all of a sudden made haram? Makes no sense. If you want to understand why we believe in such a notion please check these articles out:

Muta', Temporary Marriage in Islamic Law

Question 18: What is meant by “temporary marriage” {mut‘ah} and why do the Shi‘ah regard it as lawful?

Does the verse "فما استمتعتم به منهّن فاتوهن اجورهنّ فریضة" imply temporary marriage?

Why do the Shia consider temporary marriage (sighah/mut’ah) permissible?

What are the conditions of Mut'ah (fixed –time marriage)?

We Shias believe in the concept of Taqiyya because it is allowed and presented by Allah in the holy quran. Taqiyya is simply, hiding ones faith when your life is in danger. Simple and rational. It is not lying against sunnis or what other lies people spread to bring hatred against shia islam. If you want to understand our position on taqiyya much clearer check these articles out:

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 1

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 2

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 3

Tatbir is not a core principle in our faith. In fact it isnt even part of our faith, and no marja says so. Because it is not part of our religion, it cannot be considered bid'ha, whether people choose to do it or not. Anyway mourning for our prophets/imams/and awliya is a recommended act and you can read more to understand our position on this issue:

The History and Philosophy of Aza’ of Imam Husayn Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã

Crying while Mourning for Imam al-Husayn

Some Traditions on Imam al-Husayn (as)

Where and when did mourning for Imam Hussein (A.S.) start first?

What is the importance and philosophy of mourning for Imam Hussein (a.s.)?

For the cease of "attack" unless the representative of Allah allows it makes perfect logical sense. That way, there is no room for tactical errors and other mis-actions. However, for defending ones self, there is no need for the fatwa of an imam.

I find it always funny that wahabis and salafis claim shias are "worshiping" graves. IF we worshiped graves we wouldnt be Muslims or claim to be muslims would we? We consider anyone who worships anything besides Allah, outside the realm of Al Islam. If you are talking about the pilgrimage to visit the holy shrines of prophets and imams, there is NOTHING against that in Islam. In fact, major scholars and companions in sunni islam have shrines and I have seen one in Iraq. When we visit the Kaaba are we worshiping it? Do we pray to a big rock dome? Clearly it is far from the case. Besides, no shia prays in the direction of the graves in the shrines. If you have been to any shia imam shrine you will see, we pray towards the qibla there. It would be bid'ha and senseless to do otherwise. Anyway here are some articles that corrects your misinformation and misunderstands:

Visitation (Ziyarat) of Graves of Believers From The View-Point of The Holy Qur’an And Sunnah

Is the prayer performed in the Imams' shrine right? Though the grave is in the direction of the prayer?

I hope I cleared up all this misinformation. Please research and study any misunderstandings you might have with sources from our school of thought. Just as you would learn math from a mathmatician. Learn Imami Shia Islam from imam shia scholars and sources. Check out my links for sources regarding Imami Shia Islam.

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

.Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

(salam)

Wrong!!!

Have some respect brother, I thought at least you guys learned about us until now, but no. Ignorance is like stubborn stains for you people.

Firstly, How many times do we have to tell you people that we only believe in the Quran that we have in hand now, but the only difference is we say that the Quran is not in chronological order as it was compiled by Amirul Momineen Ali  (as).

Some narrations might be in our books that says that the Quran is (God forbid) incomplete, but it doesn't mean it's authentic and it doesn't mean we believe in it.

How many narrations can I bring you from one of your SAHIH books which says that there is tahreef in the Quran? 

I know it exists, but if you say that you don't believe it, then fine I'm not gonna keep on accusing you that you believe it. 

Secondly, takfeer of sahabas and scholars. For sahaba's it is quite known in history and authentic narrations that they did wrong, so there is no reason to say Shias accuse them of falsehood for no reason. As for scholars, some of it may be true, because some of them might have been nasibis.

Thirdly, Not every Shia does that. There might be a minority which they are wrong. Shia's do disagree with the fact that she was not the best wife of the prophet  (pbuh) and she did wage war against the imam of her time and shot arrows at our second Imam's dead body ( according to us), but we still respect her by not using curse words only because she was the wife of the messenger of Allah.

Fourthly, Mutah. There is plenty of evidence for Mutah as it has been proven in other threads. It is based on a verse of the Quran and you cannot deny the permissibility of it. 

Fifth, Taqiyah. You've gotta be kidding me. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì also states in the Quran that you can hide your faith because of fear of getting killed.

Sixth, Cease of Jihad till the Qaim  (as) returns. I am not sure about this part, I hope other members can shed some light Inshaallah.

Seventh, Tatbir. There is difference of opinion even between Shia's, so I am cannot give an explanation for that.

Finally, Worshipping of graves? huh? use your own brain. 

Edited by The Light

Those who follow four Imams does not believe in rest eight Imams?? Thats bad... 

Those four Imams are not from the twelve imams akhi. They are Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik, Imam Shafi & Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal. The concept of twelve imams is different. Sunnis DONT consider their four imams to be infallible unlike the shi'ites.

(bismillah)

الحمد لله رب العالمين وصلى الله على محمد وآله أجمعين والعن أعدائم إلى يوم الدين

What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

1 - Tajseem

It is the main opinion of the various schools of theology amongst the Sunni school. Tajseem refers to the belief that Allah, The Most High, has a body. Some go as far and say he has a body described with hand, feet, arms, running, sitting, etc أعوذ بالله من ذلك and this would amount to tashbeeh as well, giving the attributes of the creation to Allah [swt]. Some try and clarify that He has a body that is “unlike all bodies,” but a body by definition means something finite and limited. Allah is above all these limited and finite, All Glory and Majesty is His.

The only non-Shi`a that I am aware of that do not regard this theology are the Mu`tazila, but the vast majority of Sunnis do not consider them as a part of their sect - in fact many of the proto-Sunni scholars considered them Kuffar for various reasons, such as denying the Qur’an being uncreated. The Mu`tazila have by and large vanished from being existence. The tradition died early on and any individual carrying their theology today would be considered a Neo-Mu`tazilite.

2 - Claim of Love for the Ahl al-Bayt, the `Itra عليهم السلام

On the end of the Sunni spectrum of Islam there is a lot of lip service given to the Ahl al-Bayt عليهم السلام but they are in practice - in reality - ignored. The height of their love and adoration gets is mentioning some nice qualities about them (but always seemingly down playing them in order to favor and boast a few other personalities) and give them a nice taraddi رضي الله عنه when they are mentioned. Their teachings, their fiqh, they ahadeeth are grossly overlooked and ignored. There may be some scattered things here and there attributed to them int he books of Sunnism, but few things go through them, especially the later Imams عليهم السلام like al-`Askari and al-Hadi عليهما السلام whom are recognized as Rawafidh by many. Many things attributed to our Imams in their literature are also highly suspicious. For example, why are 90% of the traditions attributed to `Ali b. al-Husayn Zayn al-`Abideen عليهما السلام in the Six Collections disparaging tales about his ancestors and family? 

Why is Mu`awiya b. Abi Sufyan praised? What was said by the Prophet ص about the killers of `Ammar b. Yasir? Who killed Aba al-Zharr al-Ghaffari? `A’isha caused a massive war with the Khalifa of her Time, caused the deaths of 10, 000 muslims - more than all the expeditions during the life of the Prophet ص - and she’s all good and trustworthy? She lied to the Prophet ص and schemed against him (sura al-Tahreem)! So “repented” then did what she did again? So we should keep accepting her “repentence” which have proven to be less than trustworthy?

Why is it that those that rebelled against Abu Bakr are declared as apostates while those who rebelled against Imam `Ali عليه السلام are all mistaken [sometimes] mujtahids and all “may Allah be pleased with them?”

Why didn’t Imam `Ali [as] give immediate bay`ah to Abi Bakr? Why was the house of Sayyid Zahra عليها أفضل الصلاة والسلام threatened by `Umar? Why is it that when other companions fight it’s just a mistake in ijtihad, while the issue of Fadak between Sayyid Zahra عليها السلام and Abi Bakr, it is said she was being greedy and dunyawi?! أعوذ بالله  Why is Yazid defended about the slaughter and massacre of the children of Fatima عليه السلام on the 10th of Muharram? Why did Yazid send his forces to Madina where the women of Sahaba [or children of Sahaba] and Tabi`een were raped resulting in numerous illegitimate births that year?

Why are were all of our Imams عليهم السلام oppressed and murdered so far? Why is it that they were imprisoned, tortured, put under house arrest, etc?

This leads to point #3.

3 - A Blind Eye to History

I do not believe I have to elaborate too much on this too much as many of the things have been presented to you above. The majority of the ugly events in history regarding the Sahaba and Tabi`een are over looked by Sunnism as if it has nothing to do with the formulation of their “sect” and its doctrines and leanings; why it takes the particular stances it takes. It is clear to anyone with a quarter of a brain when looking at the history and events surrounding the character Mu`awiya b. Abi Sufyan that he was an evil person and his intentions were for worldly power. 

This leads us to point #4:

4 - Invalidity of the concept of Righteousness of All Companions and concept of Consensus

If one pays close attention to the foundations of this matter, it will be very clear. Mu`awiya b. Abi Sufyan is large proof of the invalidity of this concept. Even Abu Hurayra was considered a liar by the people of Iraq - he mentions this himself in a narration. The problem, acc. to a Sunni worldview, is that once you open the door to criticism about a companion, it opens the door to all companions and thus they become no different than any other generation of narrators. The actions of many of the Sahaba is proof against their `adalah, and they have given so many excuses that rational people would not accept (refer back to the list of questions) and only work after one accepts the world view. It is also said that this concept of righteousness of all companions came up in reaction to the Imami Shia who attribute `isma [“infallbility”], like the Prophet is ma`sum, to their Imams عليهم السلام. It is inconceivable that the same 10 People supposed “promised paradise” are going to be killing each other in a war but they’re all still righteous and “May Allah be pleased with all of them.”

Khalid b. Walid, the so called Sword of Allah, killed a man unjustly and then raped his wife. History reports this very clearly, and other reports recount him killing women and children in wars and expeditions.

Huzhayfa al-Yaman [ra] - the keeper the secret of the munafiqeen who attacked the Prophet after Tabuk - reports when `Abdullah b. Mas`ud [ra] and Abu Musa al-Ash`ari entered the mosque (both companions), he said “One of these two is a munafiq.” Then he went on to praise `Abdullah b. Mas`ud. I think it is pretty clear who he means now [by the way, this “companion” features as a main narrator in many Sunni hadith that are “saheeh”].The fact that there were munafiqeen amongst the Prophet’s companions means they were not all righteous and that being around his holy personality does not magically make you unable to lie upon him. If you are fasiq and evil person, you can justify anything. `Umar b. Sa`d and companion [sons of companions and tabi`een] justified it to themselves to murder the Prophet’s Grandson ص. 

As for the concept of Consensus, then there is no way to establish this in practice and often ends up being something anachronistically applied to past generations. Ahmad b. Hanbal said there had not been an ijma` on really anything. The Tabi`een and even the companions disagreed on… everything. From the attributes of Allah عز وجل, how to pray, how to fast, how to get married, how to buy and sell, all the way to who is the Imam of the Muslims and then some. The only thing, I dare say, the group called “Ahl al-Sunna wal-Jama`ah” agree on is not being Shia. Even then, why are we sidelining the hundreds of thousands of Tabi`een and early Muslims who were Shia and even Rafidha? Heck, even some companions were famous rawafidh (Abu Tufayl `Aamir b. Wathla, accused for this “extreme” tashayyu`). But that’s just ignored for whatever reason or poorly explained away to try and keep up the facade of all the companions agreeing on “non-shiism.” 

The concept of consensus, as is claimed to be infallible, is even urged by grand quranic muafassir Fakhr al-Razi when he goes through the ayah “Obey Allah and Obey the Messenger and those of Authority among you…” ياأيها الذين آمنوا أطيعوا الله وأطيعوا الرسول وأولي الأمر منكم He tries to say it can’t be a select few or group of the Umma because “it is impossible for us to benefit from their knowledge” but then at the end of his little explanation (which is clearly him trying to down Imami Shiism) says it is the people of the covenant and knowledge from the Ummah. From the Ummah? That means a part of it. Not the whole. It just goes back to what he was trying to nullify in the first place.

I digress. Aside from the fact that a bunch of fallible, normal people agreeing upon something can never amount to the verdict of a Ma`sum, this fabled ijma` just never happens. There is never any agreement.

This leads us to point #5:

5 - The Extreme amount of Ikhtilaf and the basis of most rulings being Ra’i [Personal Opinion] and Qiyas [Analogical Ruling Comparison]

Salaah is the pillar of the religion and it is said it is the first thing we will be asked about. So, as a Sunni, how will I pray? The 4 mathahib disagree on, like, 100 different things in Salaah. Do I leave my hands at my side like Malik? Or do I fold them like the other three? Okay, if I fold them, do I put them on under my navel, on the chest, between the two? When I give my wife a kiss on the cheek, does it break my wudu? Do I even have to recite Sura al-Fatiha in my prayer? Abu Hanifa said I don’t need to. Hey, is the Basmala a part of Surah al-Fatiha? They all differ on this. Do I have to recite when I recite Fatiha in salaah, assuming fatiha is even necessary? Malikis don’t even think it’s part of the Surah, but others do. Isn’t this Tahreef? Abu Hanifa said I have to shorten my prayers when traveling, the others say I do not! Are the prayers that accompany the daily prayers that are usually referred to as “Sunna prayers” are they musthaabb or are they wajib? Is there a difference between wajib and fardh? Can women lead men in prayer? Some of the Sunni scholars actually said yes to this, among them was Ibn Taymiyya and Tabari.

How about within one school on non-Fiqhi issues. The narrations on tashbeeh: Ibn al-Jawzi said they were metaphorical, Ibn Taymiyya said they were mostly literal… Salafis tend to say things like they’re all literal. Now that is quite scary. Then you have this whole mess with the Ash`ariyya, Maturidiyya, Athariyya, etc. It only adds to the ikhtilaf. 

Now, one might say, “But the mujtahideen of the Imami Shi`ah also have ikhtilaf.” Correct. However, our ikhtilaf does not stretch into the insane amount it does between the mathahib. The other reason, which I think is far more important, is because the ijtihad of our `ulema is ijtihad based on the nass [text/legal proof]. Not based on Ra’i and Qiyas. Ra’i is one’s own personal view and opinion on the matter - that has no place in the religion. Qiyas is analogical comparison of two things and finding a similarity and then transferring the ruling of one to another. This does not work and can be applied and misapplied to anything. And because the sunni hadith corpus is extremely lacking in the area of ahkam and often very unclear, they have to resort to these things, in addition to istihsaan which is another can of worms, very often. 

Our scholars continue to do ijtihad, but they are not doing ijtihad by 1 - Blindly following the usool of the ancient Fuqaha 2 - their ijtihad is based upon text and a highly developed `ilm al-Usool, which the Sunni world has altogether abandoned ijtihad in. I dare say some try to call it an innovation (probably Salafis). Even the dispute between the Akhbariyya and Usuliyya that came up around the era of the Safavids, this was an usuli dispute. Even then, their conclusions in fatwa were still mostly the same, especially in al-ahkaam al-iltizamiyya [wajib, haram, batil, saheeh, etc].

The Hanbali school originally didn’t involve themselves in Qiyas and such, at least Ahmad b. Hanbal didn’t, as far as I know. But after him, his students and successors found that what they have from the ahadeeth is insufficient and they all ended up adopting al-Shafi`i’s procedural qiyas.

These are just some of the few flaws I see to the Sunni interpretation of Islam.

في أمان الله

Edited by Dar'ul_Islam

(salam)

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir, Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

You know that shia Islam as a whole doesn't believe in tahref, you could if you wanted to, hold a poll on SC and find this out yourself but you would rather quote some ambiguous opinion of some shia scholar and try to pass that off as a general shia belief. However, you and I both know that two can play at that game.

Takfir of sahabas? Sorry if we choose to call out some sahabas on their evil deeds; you do it too! Would you argue that the Sahaba that fought abu bakr were not apostates? However , you just hate it when we call out certain Sahaba that you highly favor, that's the problem! You know shia Islam has reverence for some Sahaba; but again like the tahref issue you have convinced yourself, however erroneously, and will go on to preach this to your fellow sunni/salafi's. Allah (swt) is the judge.

Give me an opinion of one ayatollah/marajae today (this doesn't include yassir habib) that holds the opinion/belief that aisha (ra) committed adultery? That is your wishful thinking, my friend.

Mutah, taqiyyah, tatbir? Tatbir, seriously? How long have you been on SC? You still haven't read up on the consensus opinion of the shia marajae on tatbir? No? Well in that case I dear not go into the other two issues you raised, read up son.

Worshipping the graves of certain personalities? Really? You think shiaism, as a whole worship graves, granted there is always a confused minority in every sect that may have given you that impression but you're (should be) smarter than that. Ever read up on what happened/occurred during ibn taimiyahs funeral? After all, if I am not mistaken, he too also has a shrine ;)

(wasalam)

Edited by kbsquare

Edit

(salam)

You know that shia Islam as a whole doesn't believe in tahref, you could if you wanted to, hold a poll on SC and find this out yourself but you would rather quote some ambiguous opinion of some shia scholar and try to pass that off as a general shia belief. However, you and I both know that two can play at that game.

Takfir of sahabas? Sorry if we choose to call out some sahabas on their evil deeds; you do it too! Would you argue that the Sahaba that fought abu bakr were not apostates? However , you just hate it when we call out certain Sahaba that you highly favor, that's the problem! You know shia Islam has reverence for some Sahaba; but again like the tahref issue you have convinced yourself, however erroneously, and will go on to preach this to your fellow sunni/salafi's. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì is the judge.

Give me an opinion of one ayatollah/marajae today (this doesn't include yassir habib) that holds the opinion/belief that aisha (ra) committed adultery? That is your wishful thinking, my friend.

Mutah, taqiyyah, tatbir? Tatbir, seriously? How long have you been on SC? You still haven't read up on the consensus opinion of the shia marajae on tatbir? No? Well in that case I dear not go into the other two issues you raised, read up son.

Worshipping the graves of certain personalities? Really? You think shiaism, as a whole worship graves, granted there is always a confused minority in every sect that may have given you that impression but you're (should be) smarter than that. Ever read up on what happened/occurred during ibn taimiyahs funeral? After all, if I am not mistaken, he too also has a shrine ;)

(wasalam)

- Consensus against Tatbeer? Nonsense. Don't believe Tatbir.org on everything, they didn't put the true opinion of Sayyed al-Khu'i (r.a), and Sayyed Alee' al-Seestani (h.a). Also, what about the maraja' who view it halaal' today? Sayyed Saadiq al-Sheerazi (h.a), Sayyed Saadiq al-Rouhanee' (h.a) and others. Not to mention that many of the older scholars such as Shaykh al-Naa'eeni (h.a) believed in its permissiblity.

Secondly, "A'isha" (r.a)!? Why would you say "May Allaah (s.w.t) Be pleased with her?! Are you Shee'ah? How can you respect someone the Imaams didn't?

Edited by DaBeast313