Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sher-e-Khuda

Why Be A Shia?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

:) :) Salam Muslim Brothers and Sisters. I wonder sometimes when I see somewhere Sunnis and Shias fighting about "I am right"... This is a Shia forum so I will ask Shias... What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect?? and what are the good things and purities in Shia Sect which are not in Sunni Sect??.... and are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect also?? I shall appreciate separate answers to each questions. I pray and hope that Allah Help us all find the right path.. Amen.

(salam) brother. Brother Qa'im hit the nail. I dont have much to add except this article Why is Shia the best religion? and a few rational reasons of why Shia Islam is the true path to take (which means the opposite notion of these are what I have an issue with in sunni Islam).

1. Allah is always guiding, therefore there must be a representative of His on earth at all times. This is where the imams come into play.
  2. Allah's system is perfect, therefore those whom represent His religion and brought His religion must be perfect (infallible), the prophets, messengers, and imams. http://www.al-islam.org/articles/taharah-ismah-masumeen-dr-hatem-abu-shahba#translator%E2%80%99s-preface
  3. Because Allah's system is perfect, and there must be a guide at all times. God's religion cannot be left at the hands of a shura or self election. We beings have no authority from God, nor are we infallible. If the religion falls into our hands, doubt and error falls upon the system of God. It is inevitable. Not only that, but the world is always changing, we need rules and principles regarding our everyday lives. We need a divinely appointed source for such rulings.
  4. Imam's purpose is to guide mankind, protect the deen of Allah and the sunnah of Muhammad A.S. They are to lead us. They are proofs and witnesses of God. Without imams, the sunnah of Muhammad A.S falls into doubt due to the fact that those whom are in charge of representing his sunnah, are imperfect and have no authority from God, thus, their claims are questionable. Not only that, but the Quran needs to be interpreted. We have no jurisdiction to interpret the word of God with our own opinions. We need authorities chosen by God to explain it.
  5. Allah is just, therefore, there is no such thing as total predestination or total free will. It is in between. We have limited free will, and are responsible for our own actions of doing good and forbidding evil.
  6. Therefore, just because there are companions of the prophet doesnt make them special, or they are protected from evil. No, they sin as well, and can commit grave actions. Thus, as Allah says in the quran, we must enjoin good and forbid evil. We must not take any being who does evil and goes against the religion of Allah as a role model. We must make a distinction and call out their incorrect actions so that man does not fall astray. "....and obey not from among them a sinner or an ungrateful one." (Quran 76:24) Therefore we must take the righteous as role models only.

That is all for now. If I think of more reasons, ill post. Check out my signature for links of other lecture videos and articles on Shia Imami Islam.

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

Salam :)  Qaim and Pure Ethics.. You have told me about your views about being Shia is the best etc... My questions were specific.. 3 questions.. First of all, let me try clear your concept... Shia is no religion... The religion is Islam itself... Shia and Sunni are the two Sectoins of this Religion... to declare Shiaism as a new religion... or to say that "Shia Islam" is a religion... it is not appropriate, infact this is kind of rebellion against Islam to add things which improvise the concept of sects, if there was such a thing as "Shia Islam", then our Prophet Muhammad (SALLAH-U-ALAIH-I-WA-AALIHI-WASALLAM) would have told us... Great Muhammad only told us about Islam... he did not use any other word with Islam like "Shia Islam"... Now, I know who Shias are and who Sunnis are. Infact I am a descendent of Imam Ali (A.S.) as well (Alhamdulillah)... About these two sects of Islam (Sunnism and Shiasm) there remain arguments about who is right.. and to think that Sunnis dont believe on the existence of Imams, this is your misunderstanding, I have seen so many Muslims who are Sunnism followers and they believe in Imams.. Infact Sunni scholors believe in Imams. My questions were mainly that:

1. What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

2. What are the good things and purities in Shia Sect of Religion Islam which are not in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

3. Are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect of Religion Islam also??

"Shi`a Islam" is not a religion. Some may use the term to specify what sect they belong to, but "verily, the religion with Allah is al-Islam" (إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِندَ اللَّهِ الإِسْلَـمُ). Shi`a in Arabic means "the party" or "the followers", Shi`at `Ali are the party of `Ali. The title refers to a group, a community, and a movement. We hope and pray to Allah that He honours us with this title, but most of us are unworthy.

Sunnism and Shiism are two methodologies set to obtain the religion of Allah and His Messenger (pbuh). Meaning, the Sunni school and the Shi`a school have set different criteria and principles in seeking the truth. Both schools have systems in place that lead to the Qur'an and Sunna. From the mechanical differences in the sects' methodologies, we get differences of `aqeeda, fiqh, tafsir, historical narrative, and eschatology. So to know the truth, you must research the methodologies of these two sects. You must read and understand how and why the two schools developed. And, in our view, the purest Islam is from the twelve Imams of Ahl al-Bayt.

As for your questions, I will allow someone else to answer them.

Edited by Qa'im

1. What are the problems and bad things/impurities in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

Majority of the Sunnis (who do taqleed of the four imams) have ceased ijtehad on many issues. This has resulted in the creation of new sub sects within the four schools like among the followers of Imam Abu Hanifa we see two sect Barelvia & Deobandiya in the sub-continent. Many issues relating to the fiqh are left unanswered or with unsatisfactory results. The Salafis in the Arab region however have continued ijtehad & criticized the strict taqleed of the four imams for which they have been counter criticized especially by the Hanafis. This hostility towards other members in the Sunni clan has weakened the whole sect & it continues to create further division.

2. What are the good things and purities in Shia Sect of Religion Islam which are not in Sunni Sect of Religion Islam??

As per my research the only edge which Shia Islam has over Sunni Islam is the conduct of Ijtehad (whether right or wrong) by its scholars.

3. Are there any bad things and impurities and Shia Sect of Religion Islam also??

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

Edited by Invoker

Majority of the Sunnis (who do taqleed of the four imams) have ceased ijtehad on many issues. This has resulted in the creation of new sub sects within the four schools like among the followers of Imam Abu Hanifa we see two sect Barelvia & Deobandiya in the sub-continent. Many issues relating to the fiqh are left unanswered or with unsatisfactory results. The Salafis in the Arab region however have continued ijtehad & criticized the strict taqleed of the four imams for which they have been counter criticized especially by the Hanafis. This hostility towards other members in the Sunni clan has weakened the whole sect & it continues to create further division.

As per my research the only edge which Shia Islam has over Sunni Islam is the conduct of Ijtehad (whether right or wrong) by its scholars.

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

Those who follow four Imams does not believe in rest eight Imams?? Thats bad... and about, Ijtehad, there must be scholars who perform Ijtehad to guide the rest of te nation.. and to cease Ijtehad is I think act of limited approach... also, among Shias,  Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent.... these are severe things that are supposed to be taken care of... when u see these bad things in these sects, they sure seem incomplete and impure at all!!! so why and how come one can be content while following once of these sects??? It is a matter of great confusion and worry..

(salam) brother. I think it is very unfair of you to spread misinformation.

The majority of Shias do not believe in Tahreef of the Quran. In fact, ask the shias on this site and they will give you an answer. How many times have you and a few others brought this issue on this site, and almost every single time, we shias proved to you we do not believe in tahrif. Not only that but ask any of our marjas who are our authorities in our school of thought and they will tell you the same. The quran we have today, is perfect and infallible.

Here are articles from a site representing the Imami Shia Position of the Quran. If it is as you say, that we believe in tahreef why is there not one article on it?

Belief of Shi’a in the Completeness of Qur’an

Beliefs: Do the Shi'ah Believe in a Different Quran

Authenticity of the Quran

Understanding the Uniqueness of the Quran

Tahrif al-Qur'an: A Study of Misconceptions Regarding Corruption of the Qur'anic Text

There is no such thing as a belief in Shia Islam that we must give takfir on sunni scholars or sahaba. We Shias also do follow specific sahaba, so your generalization is wrong. What we do is we make a distinction between the righteous and wrong, and we call out an wrongdoers actions. Here are some articles on our position in this matter:

A Shi’ite View of the Companions

Are Munafiqeen counted among Sahabah?

Why do Shias curse the Sahabah and khalifahs?

Who has the authority to say Muhammad A.S was married to an adulterer? Astagfirullah! No Shia marja or top ulema EVER claimed such a thing. Can we look at the face of Muhammad A.S on judgement day and believe in such a lie? What we shias do is call this idea out from your own hadith books. Its sad that you have attributed such a lie to shias, yet never understood why we shias always bring forth and argue against such a lie from your own books. Anyway here are articles in relation to Aisha and you can see for yourself that we dare not accuse the wife of Muhammad A.S of such a thing:

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 5

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 6

Who Are Ahlul-Bayt? Part 7

We Shias believe Mutah was never made forbidden by Muhammad A.S. Simple as that. Nor did Allah ever forbid it in the quran. How can something be allowed before and then all of a sudden made haram? Makes no sense. If you want to understand why we believe in such a notion please check these articles out:

Muta', Temporary Marriage in Islamic Law

Question 18: What is meant by “temporary marriage” {mut‘ah} and why do the Shi‘ah regard it as lawful?

Does the verse "فما استمتعتم به منهّن فاتوهن اجورهنّ فریضة" imply temporary marriage?

Why do the Shia consider temporary marriage (sighah/mut’ah) permissible?

What are the conditions of Mut'ah (fixed –time marriage)?

We Shias believe in the concept of Taqiyya because it is allowed and presented by Allah in the holy quran. Taqiyya is simply, hiding ones faith when your life is in danger. Simple and rational. It is not lying against sunnis or what other lies people spread to bring hatred against shia islam. If you want to understand our position on taqiyya much clearer check these articles out:

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 1

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 2

Al-Taqiyya, Dissimulation Part 3

Tatbir is not a core principle in our faith. In fact it isnt even part of our faith, and no marja says so. Because it is not part of our religion, it cannot be considered bid'ha, whether people choose to do it or not. Anyway mourning for our prophets/imams/and awliya is a recommended act and you can read more to understand our position on this issue:

The History and Philosophy of Aza’ of Imam Husayn Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã

Crying while Mourning for Imam al-Husayn

Some Traditions on Imam al-Husayn (as)

Where and when did mourning for Imam Hussein (A.S.) start first?

What is the importance and philosophy of mourning for Imam Hussein (a.s.)?

For the cease of "attack" unless the representative of Allah allows it makes perfect logical sense. That way, there is no room for tactical errors and other mis-actions. However, for defending ones self, there is no need for the fatwa of an imam.

I find it always funny that wahabis and salafis claim shias are "worshiping" graves. IF we worshiped graves we wouldnt be Muslims or claim to be muslims would we? We consider anyone who worships anything besides Allah, outside the realm of Al Islam. If you are talking about the pilgrimage to visit the holy shrines of prophets and imams, there is NOTHING against that in Islam. In fact, major scholars and companions in sunni islam have shrines and I have seen one in Iraq. When we visit the Kaaba are we worshiping it? Do we pray to a big rock dome? Clearly it is far from the case. Besides, no shia prays in the direction of the graves in the shrines. If you have been to any shia imam shrine you will see, we pray towards the qibla there. It would be bid'ha and senseless to do otherwise. Anyway here are some articles that corrects your misinformation and misunderstands:

Visitation (Ziyarat) of Graves of Believers From The View-Point of The Holy Qur’an And Sunnah

Is the prayer performed in the Imams' shrine right? Though the grave is in the direction of the prayer?

I hope I cleared up all this misinformation. Please research and study any misunderstandings you might have with sources from our school of thought. Just as you would learn math from a mathmatician. Learn Imami Shia Islam from imam shia scholars and sources. Check out my links for sources regarding Imami Shia Islam.

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

.Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir,  Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

(salam)

Wrong!!!

Have some respect brother, I thought at least you guys learned about us until now, but no. Ignorance is like stubborn stains for you people.

Firstly, How many times do we have to tell you people that we only believe in the Quran that we have in hand now, but the only difference is we say that the Quran is not in chronological order as it was compiled by Amirul Momineen Ali  (as).

Some narrations might be in our books that says that the Quran is (God forbid) incomplete, but it doesn't mean it's authentic and it doesn't mean we believe in it.

How many narrations can I bring you from one of your SAHIH books which says that there is tahreef in the Quran? 

I know it exists, but if you say that you don't believe it, then fine I'm not gonna keep on accusing you that you believe it. 

Secondly, takfeer of sahabas and scholars. For sahaba's it is quite known in history and authentic narrations that they did wrong, so there is no reason to say Shias accuse them of falsehood for no reason. As for scholars, some of it may be true, because some of them might have been nasibis.

Thirdly, Not every Shia does that. There might be a minority which they are wrong. Shia's do disagree with the fact that she was not the best wife of the prophet  (pbuh) and she did wage war against the imam of her time and shot arrows at our second Imam's dead body ( according to us), but we still respect her by not using curse words only because she was the wife of the messenger of Allah.

Fourthly, Mutah. There is plenty of evidence for Mutah as it has been proven in other threads. It is based on a verse of the Quran and you cannot deny the permissibility of it. 

Fifth, Taqiyah. You've gotta be kidding me. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì also states in the Quran that you can hide your faith because of fear of getting killed.

Sixth, Cease of Jihad till the Qaim  (as) returns. I am not sure about this part, I hope other members can shed some light Inshaallah.

Seventh, Tatbir. There is difference of opinion even between Shia's, so I am cannot give an explanation for that.

Finally, Worshipping of graves? huh? use your own brain. 

Edited by The Light

Those who follow four Imams does not believe in rest eight Imams?? Thats bad... 

Those four Imams are not from the twelve imams akhi. They are Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Malik, Imam Shafi & Imam Ahmed bin Hanbal. The concept of twelve imams is different. Sunnis DONT consider their four imams to be infallible unlike the shi'ites.

(salam)

Tahreef in Quran, Takfir of sahabas & many sunni scholars, Accusing the wife of the Holy prophet saw of adultery, Muta, Taqqiya, Tatbir, Cease of Jihad till the Qaim returns, Worshipping the graves of sacred personalities & some other biddahs which are very commonly seen in the sub continent....

You know that shia Islam as a whole doesn't believe in tahref, you could if you wanted to, hold a poll on SC and find this out yourself but you would rather quote some ambiguous opinion of some shia scholar and try to pass that off as a general shia belief. However, you and I both know that two can play at that game.

Takfir of sahabas? Sorry if we choose to call out some sahabas on their evil deeds; you do it too! Would you argue that the Sahaba that fought abu bakr were not apostates? However , you just hate it when we call out certain Sahaba that you highly favor, that's the problem! You know shia Islam has reverence for some Sahaba; but again like the tahref issue you have convinced yourself, however erroneously, and will go on to preach this to your fellow sunni/salafi's. Allah (swt) is the judge.

Give me an opinion of one ayatollah/marajae today (this doesn't include yassir habib) that holds the opinion/belief that aisha (ra) committed adultery? That is your wishful thinking, my friend.

Mutah, taqiyyah, tatbir? Tatbir, seriously? How long have you been on SC? You still haven't read up on the consensus opinion of the shia marajae on tatbir? No? Well in that case I dear not go into the other two issues you raised, read up son.

Worshipping the graves of certain personalities? Really? You think shiaism, as a whole worship graves, granted there is always a confused minority in every sect that may have given you that impression but you're (should be) smarter than that. Ever read up on what happened/occurred during ibn taimiyahs funeral? After all, if I am not mistaken, he too also has a shrine ;)

(wasalam)

Edited by kbsquare

Edit

(salam)

You know that shia Islam as a whole doesn't believe in tahref, you could if you wanted to, hold a poll on SC and find this out yourself but you would rather quote some ambiguous opinion of some shia scholar and try to pass that off as a general shia belief. However, you and I both know that two can play at that game.

Takfir of sahabas? Sorry if we choose to call out some sahabas on their evil deeds; you do it too! Would you argue that the Sahaba that fought abu bakr were not apostates? However , you just hate it when we call out certain Sahaba that you highly favor, that's the problem! You know shia Islam has reverence for some Sahaba; but again like the tahref issue you have convinced yourself, however erroneously, and will go on to preach this to your fellow sunni/salafi's. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì is the judge.

Give me an opinion of one ayatollah/marajae today (this doesn't include yassir habib) that holds the opinion/belief that aisha (ra) committed adultery? That is your wishful thinking, my friend.

Mutah, taqiyyah, tatbir? Tatbir, seriously? How long have you been on SC? You still haven't read up on the consensus opinion of the shia marajae on tatbir? No? Well in that case I dear not go into the other two issues you raised, read up son.

Worshipping the graves of certain personalities? Really? You think shiaism, as a whole worship graves, granted there is always a confused minority in every sect that may have given you that impression but you're (should be) smarter than that. Ever read up on what happened/occurred during ibn taimiyahs funeral? After all, if I am not mistaken, he too also has a shrine ;)

(wasalam)

- Consensus against Tatbeer? Nonsense. Don't believe Tatbir.org on everything, they didn't put the true opinion of Sayyed al-Khu'i (r.a), and Sayyed Alee' al-Seestani (h.a). Also, what about the maraja' who view it halaal' today? Sayyed Saadiq al-Sheerazi (h.a), Sayyed Saadiq al-Rouhanee' (h.a) and others. Not to mention that many of the older scholars such as Shaykh al-Naa'eeni (h.a) believed in its permissiblity.

Secondly, "A'isha" (r.a)!? Why would you say "May Allaah (s.w.t) Be pleased with her?! Are you Shee'ah? How can you respect someone the Imaams didn't?

Edited by DaBeast313

(salam)

The two of you are a piece of work. The two of you are deviating the topic of the thread. First show me something authentic where the imams said they have no respect for a particular wife. Second, whether I choose to or not to put (ra) behind someone's name (in this case one of the wives of the nabi (saw)), is not a prerequisite to being a shia. Please, spare me the preaching. Just to remind you, don't deviate the topic, thank you.

(wasalam)

(salam)

The two of you are a piece of work. The two of you are deviating the topic of the thread. First show me something authentic where the imams said they have no respect for a particular wife. Second, whether I choose to or not to put (ra) behind someone's name (in this case one of the wives of the nabi (saw)), is not a prerequisite to being a shia. Please, spare me the preaching. Just to remind you, don't deviate the topic, thank you.

(wasalam)

1 - Refer to al-Kaafee', Volume 3, Page 342

2 - Yes it is prerequisite, because it is forbidden to show honour to one who is an enemy of Allaah (s.w.t)