Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Favourite Word Of The Day

Rate this topic

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few days from now the only satisfying word will be 'food'.

(Salam) A cool blog for intresting words --> http://wordstuck.co.vu This one is interesting (Up until today I thought I was the only one who saw this :P): ____________________________ ____________

For this month, my favorite word is Iftar.

Posted Images

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

dreamt = dreamed

creamt = creamed

I did not say that there is no other word in English with the same meaning as "dreamt."

So pointing out that "dreamed" has the same meaning was not very useful.

And there is no such word as "creamt."

Not in English.

So your second line is also meaningless.

The word "dreamt" is the only word in the ENTIRE language that ends in the letters "mt."

It is an established fact.

Established NOT by me but by the greats of the language. 

Edited by baqar
  • Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

@baqar l heared "creamt" when l was little back in the 50s. People used "t" endings for the past tense a lot more back then.

Like built, wrought, writ, burnt and "creamt" was used around the old dairy farms.

Sorry, but "creamt" is not a word in the English language. 

Remember, my friend, slangs do not always make it to the dictionary.

Some are extremely local while some others die an early death.

Edited by baqar
  • Veteran Member
5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

@baqar l heared "creamt" when l was little back in the 50s. People used "t" endings for the past tense a lot more back then.

Like built, wrought, writ, burnt and "creamt" was used around the old dairy farms.

Now l have to admit that l never heard the combination "creamt soup" before, but as l remembar, in relation to milk out of a cow, it was creamt after it was churned a while. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=creamt 

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

So you have found a dictionary that seemingly caters to slang words of a bygone era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Dictionary

According to the above article, the Urban dictionary is a crowd-sourced dictionary of slang words and phrases.

It does not have the stature of the two pillars of the English language - Oxford and Cambridge, neither of which accepts the word as standard English.

Nor does any other standard dictionary. 

Don't forget that my original claim that "dreamt" was the only word that ended in "mt" came from Readers Digest.

It is hardly plausible that Readers Digest would make such a grave mistake.

Edited by baqar
  • Veteran Member
8 hours ago, baqar said:

...Don't forget that my original claim that "dreamt" was the only word that ended in "mt" came from Readers Digest.

It is hardly plausible that Readers Digest would make such a grave mistake.

When l was in college, Reader's Digest was/is not an authoratative source and any citations/footnotes to it were a failing manuever.

Besides, R.D. is wrong. 0ther "dreamt" words include "indreamt" and "redreamt". So for R.D. to declare that dreamt is the only word that ends in "mt" is obviously something R.D. dreamt up. 

Meanwhile . . . as Steven Colbert says . . . the fresh milk has stood for a day now and the cream has risen to the top of the milk can, so the milk is now creamt.   :tongueangry:

Where is Carls'two, there one what ever? She was fun to argue with.

• Veteran Member

Well, my last word on the subject is as follows:-

1) The English language clearly distinguishes between a slang and a word.

2) And in fact, so do many other languages. 

3) The Reader's Digest may not be the accepted standard for the English language, but the Oxford English dictionary is. 

4) It is the undisputed king.

5) The only dictionary that lists the word "creamt" is the Urban dictionary, which by its own admission, was set up specifically to include slangs.

6) This newbie in the world of dictionaries is barely 21.

And that is the most anyone would be required to know on the subject.

The rest is all poppycock.  

Farewell to all who have watched this exquisite drama with the word (ops - I mean slang) "creamt."

B Y E

• Veteran Member
27 minutes ago, baqar said:

5) The only dictionary that lists the word "creamt" is the Urban dictionary, which by its own admission, was set up specifically to include slangs.

lf l heared it before there was a slang dictionary, then "creamt"'s inclusion signifies that the word existed. 

You didn't didn't address what was "undreamt" of.

:blabla:"lt was a normal word, and it still exists if only as slang."

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
Posted (edited)

@baqar@hasanhh You guys got me laughing out loud over how passionately you were debating 'dreamt' vs 'crempt' :hahaha: !

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
  • 1 month later...
  • Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

"Anthropodermic Bibliopegy" -the 18th and 19th Centuries' practice of book binding with human skin.

ln a 2006 article l found, the trial records and accounts of "murder trials were bound in the killer's skin."

Similarly, anatomy books were bound in the skin of dissected cadavers.

While the article is about a 300 year-old book found in Leeds which appears to possibly be stolen, the article also notes that this was common during the French Revolution.

Story by AP with this web address: http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/section-item.asp?sid=12&lid=2240

EDIT: that link is not working . . . BUT  :  https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/4756851.stm 

Edited by hasanhh
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Veteran Member
On 12/17/2017 at 7:52 PM, hasanhh said:

kufrstani --1] unbelievers;  2] stupicidal nutcases that bomb and shoot innocent and unsuspecting people, usually resulting in their own self-destructing deaths

l posted earlier this morning about the suicide bombing of a Shi'a school in Kabul; at which time l thought of a new word:

bombscum  --bomb + scum; which is a mid-word alliteration to the word bombsquad