Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruq

Favourite Word Of The Day

Rate this topic

Word of the day: irredentism

"Irredentism is any position of a state advocating annexation of territories administered by another state on the grounds of common ethnicity or prior historical possession, actual or alleged. It is often advocated by pan-nationalist movements and has been a feature of identity politics, cultural and political geography."

From wiki.

Bedraggled

A joke goes that on a monsoon day as it started to pour, a young Indian girl in excitement said to her male friend, "Hey let's get bedraggled." The guy smiled meaningfully and winked. Next thing, the girl slapped him on the face.

It doesn't meant what desis think.

Sammelband : old Amerikan English (before WW1) from the German/Deutsche meaning, "an omnibus volume"  or collection of a class of writings, a digest

got it from Antique Roadshow which I have on for some noise.

Edited by hasanhh

Sammelband : old Amerikan English (before WW1) from the German/Deutsche meaning, "an omnibus volume"  or collection of a class of writings, a digest

Something like a 'chrestomathy?'

Marbles ref to 42,

There is little relation between the two words. Sammelband is a digest, a condensed reference or a condensed information source; while Chrestomathy is a teaching aid for languages (excluding mathematical language).

Ambergris: A solid, waxy solid found in the intestine of sperm whale, it has been used over the centuries in perfumes and potions, or as a spice *pukes*

Edited by Durr-e-Najjaf

Queer - a word I'm fixated with because I can never pronounce it properly even after listening to its pronunciation multiple times on Merriam-Webster. Kew-er or kew-eer or kuweer or kuwee-er? :wacko:

It is pronounced exactly as it is spelled, one syllable, "kweer". I just realized the Q u combination serves no real purpose in English.

I have at least two doppelgangers.

My word of the day is discombobulate.

Okay, today I heard a person confuse petulance with pestilence.

Ordinarily, Pakis confuse ordinance and ordnance. Once I read the wrong word in a newspaper of note!

There, we have four words for the day.

(Do I need to give their definitions to SCers? I don't think so)