Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

Rate this topic

(salam)

I was woundering that how come the quran comands women in surah Al Ahzab verse 59 to wear Jilbab, but the ma'rij say it is nlt mandatory. I understand that a long dress can subsitute it. From my understand women can not dress in pants infront of non-mahram men. Is this true? Also, does your body type effect how much you should cover, or the type of clothing you should wear? :wacko:

Also, does your body type effect how much you should cover, or the type of clothing you should wear? :wacko:

(salam)

I was woundering that how come the quran comands women in surah Al Ahzab verse 59 to wear Jilbab, but the ma'rij say it is nlt mandatory. I understand that a long dress can subsitute it. From my understand women can not dress in pants infront of non-mahram men. Is this true? Also, does your body type effect how much you should cover, or the type of clothing you should wear? :wacko:

Glad you brought this up.  I *think* the pants thing is more cultural.  Because what I read is that as long as your awrah is covered you can pray.  

There is a sister at my masjid who sells palazzo pants, inside the masjid, every Friday and weekend. And sisters are praying in them.  They look OK if you are skinny. It doesn't even look like you have on pants. The fabric is so loose it really does look like you are wearing a skirt.......IF you are skinny.  If you are curvy, those pants hit every curve! I would not wear them inside the masjid.

Edited by Night_Inshallah

salam)

I was speaking to an Iraqi scholar about this and its all about understanding the context of the time. The 'jilbab' was used to describe a non-form fitting garment and is a little bit different to the abaya we have today but the principles are similar.The women of ranking at the time used to wear outer garments but it used to be left open in the manner of a jacket. They used to cover their hair too but the head dress used to go behind their ear, thus the neck and bosom were revealed.  The combined verses of An-nur and Al Ahzab do not make wearing a jilbab mandatory which is why the scholars do not universally prescribe wearing the jilbab. They instead insist on covering the ears and bosoms (in addition to the other parts) and ensuring your outer garments are loose which can be done in the form of a loose jilbab or other clothing. It's about wearing loose clothes not the jilbaab itself as in countries ie UAE where the purpose of wearing jilbab is fashion not hijab, they can be very tight and form fitting which defeats the whole purpose. Similarly there are other cultures in the world where wearing the jilbab isn't the norm yet hijab is maintained quite well through loose clothing. 

Body type is of course an influencing factor as material clings to curves so you have to take precautions according to your own body.You can't put everyone under the same umbrella. I think wearing pants would come under this as it depends on how loose it is (ie palazzo pants are literally skirts), the material and the body type. Of course, niyah is important too. 

Hijab is not just a muslim thing. The most modest of Christian and Jews wear a head scarf and clothing to match.

Correction: Modesty is not a Muslim thing. Hijab is. 

Edited by *Sayyeda*