Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

Rate this topic

(salam)

There is a question that is looming over my head for quite some time.  :wacko:

Now, with regards to verifying a hadith's authenticity, what is the process in which I, as a layman, can know the grading of the hadith (i.e. sahih, da'eef, etc.). Apart from consulting a scholar, is checking the reliability of transmitters and, perhaps, pondering on the "mitn" (content) of the hadith, the only way to verifying what a hadith's grading is?

I suspect there is a book where hadith numbers from certain books are listed side by side with the grading of the respective hadith, although I could be in error.

Could anyone pave the way for me. Thanks.

(wasalam)

(salam)

There is a question that is looming over my head for quite some time.  :wacko:

Now, with regards to verifying a hadith's authenticity, what is the process in which I, as a layman, can know the grading of the hadith (i.e. sahih, da'eef, etc.). Apart from consulting a scholar, is checking the reliability of transmitters and, perhaps, pondering on the "mitn" (content) of the hadith, the only way to verifying what a hadith's grading is?

I suspect there is a book where hadith numbers from certain books are listed side by side with the grading of the respective hadith, although I could be in error.

Could anyone pave the way for me. Thanks.

(wasalam)

Depends which book, who's authority (which scholar - although usually roughly the same). Me, I've got a document with Allamah al Majlisi and Allamah Bahbudi's gradings for al Kafi, so if it is from al Kafi I'll be happy to help.

Edit: Sorry, you meant doing it yourself. I know virtually nothing except for the narrators need to be reliable and the chain can't have breaks (amongst other things).

Edited by Haidar :)

S/A

The only thing you could do as an "layman" is read up the opinions of Maraji' regarding the individuals mentioned in the chain of narration, or checking the grading of the hadith itself. Trying to decode rijaal yourself would be a dangerous path as without formal studies/a teacher, going down the wrong path is very possible.

Edited by Syed al-Qummi

S/A brothers. Thanks for the quick replies.

With regards to the Al-Kafi book with grading, is there a way to get hold of it in a pdf format, Arabic or English is fine.

What more books are available containing sahih hadiths from Al-Bihar or Al-Kafi for example?

By the way, which of the maraji' can I refer to presently, online contacting preferably, in order to get the hadith's grading? Is it fine to just throw off a question at the site of Ayatollah Sistani for instance. :D

Wa`alaykum AsSalam

Try and get a hold of the Diraayat al-Nur software, it will help you find the gradings according to the methods of different rijaalists. Very few of the maraaje' today have any rijjali works and many seem to not have personal opinions in the study, rather they depend on works written by previous scholars. If you can't get the software, then the rjjal books of the `ulamaa' are available online, including the mu`jam al-rijaal of Sayyid al-Khoei (ra).

Some current day maraaje' have mentioned their own view or the one they abide by in the bahth al-khaarij section of their website.

All that being said, knowing the narrators and proving the acceptability of the chain is different to proving the authenticity of the report. That requires detailed studies and shoul not be undertaken without the correct guidance of a reliable source.

So in essence the chain of the narration is only plays a part in how we deal with the narration, how we understand it and then go on further to use it is something which depends on more than the chain.

S/A brothers. Thanks for the quick replies.

With regards to the Al-Kafi book with grading, is there a way to get hold of it in a pdf format, Arabic or English is fine.

What more books are available containing sahih hadiths from Al-Bihar or Al-Kafi for example?

By the way, which of the maraji' can I refer to presently, online contacting preferably, in order to get the hadith's grading? Is it fine to just throw off a question at the site of Ayatollah Sistani for instance. :D

Ayatollah Shobeyri Zanjani is of the top rijaalists of this epoch, definitely check him out if you have time.