Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sayed Modarresi Slams The Tattoo Wearing Dudes

Rate this topic

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(salam) Since most fuqaha today don't consider it haraam (although from what I recall, some of the Qudama did consider it to be so), we have to look at what they mean and imply in the 'urf and see wh

Doing whatever makes you happy is an atheistic way of thinking that is the cause of many problems we see in societies today. A Muslim should be trying to do what makes Allah happy, not themselves, and

Salam,    First those tats look fresh (not fresh like cool, but fresh as in they are probably recent). They don't look photo shopped.  It is probably him. We have no right to condemn someone for somet

Q: Is it prohibited to mark the skin with tattoo? 

A: The tattoo is not prohibited by itself, whether, for the man or for the woman. However, if the tattoo is considered an ornament that draws the attention, then, it is prohibited for the woman to mark it on her body parts (face, hands, and feet) which is not obligatory for her to cover. Also, the tattoo is prohibited in case it is marked on these parts with a thick material that covers the surface of the skin and thus, prevents water from passing on to the skin and makes the Wudhu, Ghusul, and prayer void. Anyway, it is better for the pious man/woman to leave such things because they do not fit our Islamic traditions and cultures.

http://english.bayynat.org/Istiftaat/istiftaa_tattoo.htm#.U4h58Si6ASU

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Brother Against,

I know who the speaker is too. But, please don't make this a gossip thread, TMZ style. We know Imam Mahdi is going to come and take care of a lot of those with black and white turbans or those not wearing turbans. Before there was a thread made about him because of his choice of clothing and now people are looking at what ink he has on his body. All you can do is pray for his hidaya. What good or benefit does it come out of talking about him?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla
  • Advanced Member

what good does it do??? let me tell you. i will tell you!!! he only does this stupidity cause he gets away with it!!! if no one condemns him .... he will keep dressin like travolta on a saturday night. if the average dudes pressure him .... he will stop. what the point???? i will tell u!! this aint how our deen figures shuld present their bodies. pressure and awareness is the good my friend. my dear dear friend.

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Then Sayyid Moddaressi, should approach him privately and talk to him. We seriously have more severe problems in this ummah then to worry about his tattoes. You can also send him a message via email and tell him your point of view, without stirring more unnecessary attention.

• Veteran Member

Q: Is it prohibited to mark the skin with tattoo? 

A: The tattoo is not prohibited by itself, whether, for the man or for the woman. However, if the tattoo is considered an ornament that draws the attention, then, it is prohibited for the woman to mark it on her body parts (face, hands, and feet) which is not obligatory for her to cover. Also, the tattoo is prohibited in case it is marked on these parts with a thick material that covers the surface of the skin and thus, prevents water from passing on to the skin and makes the Wudhu, Ghusul, and prayer void. Anyway, it is better for the pious man/woman to leave such things because they do not fit our Islamic traditions and cultures.

http://english.bayynat.org/Istiftaat/istiftaa_tattoo.htm#.U4h58Si6ASU

That website is wrong

"The prophet did La'nah on a woman who gets a tattoo" (Bihar al Anwar, v 100, p 257)

• Veteran Member

i have a tattoo....... not of imams name just a nice pattern i like so does my wife.... sayed modaressi has an opinion an quite frankly i am not too sure about Iraqis opinion they have betrayed the greatest imams...... but i do  like the Sadr family they have a lot authority and honour.... ask madressi is 6pack haraam coz it attracts women or is he too busy charging £500 per hour or leasing the land Kerbala  

did you just really compare exercising over permanently staining your God given body? o_O

• Veteran Member

"The prophet did La'nah on a woman who gets a tattoo" (Bihar al Anwar, v 100, p 257)

Makes a lot of sense.  

There are two major problems with tattooing your body,and I believe Islam abhors both of those reasons:-

• Affliliation with a decadent life style
  • Too much attention to the body, which is not required
Edited by IloveImamHussain
  • Veteran Member

at the end of day my body...... modrassi should worry about his monthly payments

i have 6 pack is that too much attention??????

Brother, you do realize everyone can do what ever they want. This is not the point the sayed is making. He is saying according to Islam, tattoos are detestable and the prophet sends Laan on women who do have them. It is clearly not the sunnah of Muhammad A.S. That being said, do what you want.

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

Q12) What is your ruling on having permanent or temporary tattoos?

A12) Tattoos are permissible irrespective of whether they are permanent or temporary.

Grand Ayatullah Sistani r.a

http://www.alulbayt.com/rulings/15.htm

Ayat.Sistani asked re tattooing ImamAli's name: follow him with piety so you'd honor him, not be a disgrace for him: http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0760/

Ayat. Sistani: While tattoos are permitted in principle, they are detestable & narrations of Ahlulbayt condemn them: http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0760/

:)

• Veteran Member

Affiliation with a decadent lifestyle

You shouldn't be judgmental. Tattoos are practiced by tons of people from different cultures for a variety of reasons for thousands of years and they can be of practically anything, decadent or not. You shouldn't automatically associate it with decadence in such a way as it just makes you look ignorant and stuck up. If a woman gets the name of her child tattoo'd on her body, I don't see how that's "decadent"

Too much attention to the body, which is not required

Attention in and of itself is not an issue.

• Veteran Member

Tattoos are practiced by tons of people from different cultures for a variety of reasons for thousands of years and they can be of practically anything, decadent or not.

In the part of the world I live in and I believe in most other places that I am familiar with, the  vast majority of those who show fondness for tattoos show it for reasons that Islam will not approve of.

Attention in and of itself is not an issue.

In Islam it is. 

• Veteran Member

In the part of the world I live in and I believe in most other places that I am familiar with, the  vast majority of those who show fondness for tattoos show it for reasons that Islam will not approve of.

And those are?

In Islam it is. 

No it isn't. There are different kinds of attention, not all of which are haram. Don't be stupid.

Ayat.Sistani asked re tattooing ImamAli's name: follow him with piety so you'd honor him, not be a disgrace for him: http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0760/

Ayat. Sistani: While tattoos are permitted in principle, they are detestable & narrations of Ahlulbayt condemn them: http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0760/

:)

Fair point

• Veteran Member

Fastidious fascination for the body

And you have the right to make this judgement call because...? Sounds to me more like you're projecting and probably have never asked anyone why they've gotten their tattoo.

In my Islam, it is

The truth is, no it isn't. Again, there are different kinds of attention. A woman for example has to get the attention of someone in a grocery store if she needs help. A man who speaks before a crowd has to get their attention. You need to clarify what you mean by ambiguous terms before saying this or that is not Islamic.

Attention in and of itself is not haram, but there are haram kinds of attention and there is nothing about a tattoo that precipitates a haram kind of attention in and of itself.

Islam requires people to speak with respect to one another, strangers or not.

Me telling you to not be stupid is polite advice.

did you just really compare exercising over permanently staining your God given body? o_O

Bad logic if you ask me. Since when does a religion that circumcises children and teenagers care about "permanently staining our God given bodies?"

If tattoos are haram, the reasoning for it can't be because they permanently alter the body because Islam has no issue with this by itself(btw tattoos are probably less permanent than losing your foreskin).

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Veteran Member

The truth is, no it isn't. 

I told you I was talking about my Islam. I don't wish to interfere with yours.

Me telling you to not be stupid is polite advice.

If that is your understanding of Islam,  it truly is very different from mine.

So long, stupid 

Edited by IloveImamHussain
  • Veteran Member

I told you I was talking about my Islam. I don't wish to interfere with yours.

Wow, way to completely ignore the argument.

So long, stupid 

Funny, I didn't actually call you stupid. Guess your Islam promotes insulting people who try to engage your opinion, huh?

• Veteran Member

Bad logic if you ask me. Since when does a religion that circumcises children and teenagers care about "permanently staining our God given bodies?"

If tattoos are haram, the reasoning for it can't be because they permanently alter the body because Islam has no issue with this by itself(btw tattoos are probably less permanent than losing your foreskin).

Nope, because, circumcision is by divine decree. It is also a part of the body that is inherently nijis. Again, I never said it is haram. My logic was not intended for saying it is haram, but for respecting this body Allah has endowed you with, to keep it just the way Allah has given it to you.

• Veteran Member

Nope, because, circumcision is by divine decree. It is also a part of the body that is inherently nijis. Again, I never said it is haram. My logic was not intended for saying it is haram, but for respecting this body Allah has endowed you with, to keep it just the way Allah has given it to you.

These two statements are completely in contradiction to one another. I agree that circumcision is by divine decree but the nature of circumcision is precisely to alter the body as Allah has given it to you so when I see people on this site saying tattoos are haram or just detestable because they alter the body, it comes across as ignorant because divine decree tells us to alter our bodies so as to make them better in Allah's sight because how they've been given to us is not sufficient. In that sense, a person who gets a tattoo, like one who gets a circumcision, or even like a bodybuilder, is trying to alter their body to fit a certain ideal. It's important to keep perspective here.

• Veteran Member

i have a tattoo....... not of imams name just a nice pattern i like so does my wife.... sayed modaressi has an opinion an quite frankly i am not too sure about Iraqis opinion they have betrayed the greatest imams...... but i do  like the Sadr family they have a lot authority and honour.... ask madressi is 6pack haraam coz it attracts women or is he too busy charging £500 per hour or leasing the land Kerbala  

are you just completley ignorant or what? please have some respect

betrayed the Imams? I am Iraqi, do you think I have betrayed the Imams?

may Allah guide you

Edited by Ali-F
  • Veteran Member

These two statements are completely in contradiction to one another. I agree that circumcision is by divine decree but the nature of circumcision is precisely to alter the body as Allah has given it to you so when I see people on this site saying tattoos are haram or just detestable because they alter the body, it comes across as ignorant because divine decree tells us to alter our bodies so as to make them better in Allah's sight because how they've been given to us is not sufficient. In that sense, a person who gets a tattoo, like one who gets a circumcision, or even like a bodybuilder, is trying to alter their body to fit a certain ideal. It's important to keep perspective here.

come on brother, you seriously did not understand what I meant? Or are you trying to find faults in what i am saying. I dont mean literally how Allah has given it to us, since clearly our body evolves. But in the sense of non-natural forces of alterations.

• Veteran Member

come on brother, you seriously did not understand what I meant? Or are you trying to find faults in what i am saying. I dont mean literally how Allah has given it to us, since clearly our body evolves. But in the sense of non-natural forces of alterations.

How is cutting off foreskin with a flint or metal knife any more "natural" than a tattoo administered through an ink soaked metal needle? How are we using the word "natural" here?

• Veteran Member

How is cutting off foreskin with a flint or metal knife any more "natural" than a tattoo administered through an ink soaked metal needle? How are we using the word "natural" here?

Brother, you still do not get it do you? The fact that Allah commands it overrides such reasoning. Same as eating haram to save ones life. Except, this topic is not pertaining to halal and haram but it being detestable or not.. Although, honestly I see such a discussion pointless, for it is quite clear, tatoos were prevalent in the time of our prophets and imams. If we have no records of them or their companions male or female having them, why should we? If we are truly following their path holistically (same goes with smoking). Not to mention one of the most knowledgeable marja's have spoken on such an issue and given an answer to it. If you and I call ourselves a follower of theirs, and support them and understand their answers come from none other than quran and sunnah, then this matter is solved. If not, and you have your own opinion, well, so be it.

Edited by PureEthics
  • Advanced Member

Then Sayyid Moddaressi, should approach him privately and talk to him. We seriously have more severe problems in this ummah then to worry about his tattoes. You can also send him a message via email and tell him your point of view, without stirring more unnecessary attention.

erm bro this isnt about tattoos. even if it was .... dont belittle any sin. bro it aint about tattoos lol. its about letting people know to not take this guy as a role model. bro dont u get it? the most famous speaker dresses in a sexy way. bro this is about ... much bigger things. if ammar sinned in private ... then tell him in private. if he sins in public then tell people ITS NOT OK! u dont want people searing sexy clothes jus cause he did it. u dont want people losing respect for lecturers ..... cause ammar made them. u dont want indecent people as leaders!!!! this aint about tattoos dude!!!!!

• Veteran Member

The fact that Allah commands it overrides such reasoning. 

Allah issues his commands in truth, not just to command them. If Allah has decreed something to be done, there is a clear meaning and reasoning behind it. We may not always understand that reasoning or perceive the inner meaning, but it is there. The point I was trying to make is that circumcision's being a command implies that our bodies as they are born is not sufficient in Allah's sight and so some of these naturalistic arguments against tattoos contradict fundamental Islamic ideas on the human body and nature.

If we are going to argue against tattoos, either that is haram or halal yet reprehensible, we need a better reasoning. I'm not necessarily arguing that tattoos aren't reprehensible according to Ahlul Bayt, I'm just being honest and saying the reasoning by which some try to explain why often stinks and is unconvincing.

Although, honestly I see such a discussion pointless, for it is quite clear, tatoos were prevalent in the time of our prophets and imams. If we have no records of them or their companions male or female having them, why should we? If we are truly following their path holistically (same goes with smoking). 

Simply because something cannot be proven to be sunna, in regards to the Prophet's personal habits, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it though. Every scholar worth his salt understands this. Otherwise, they'd be telling us to stop using computers and television because they "aren't sunnah." So, again to say "well, the ahlul bayt and their companions didn't do it as far as we can tell, therefore we shouldn't do it," is not a very good line of reasoning either, because there are many things we do both in religion and in the more secular areas of life that aren't part of the Prophetic sunnah, but which nonetheless are in conformity with the principles. For example, we use computers for communication or perhaps a humble means of entertainment or stimulation, which is perfectly Islamic as long as these acts don't transgress the core ethics of the religion.

All I'm saying is that if you agree that tattoos in and of themselves were reprehensible to Ahlul Bayt based on certain hadith and the rulings of certain scholars who base their judgement on those hadith, then that's okay, I can respect that. I just don't like it when people bring faulty lines of reasoning to defend such a stand. Either have a better line of a reasoning to defend it or accept that you don't understand the reasoning behind the ruling but accept it anyway because you believe it is legitimately a sacred tradition.

Not to mention one of the most knowledgeable marja's have spoken on such an issue and given an answer to it. If you and I call ourselves a follower of theirs, and support them and understand their answers come from none other than quran and sunnah, then this matter is solved. If not, and you have your own opinion, well, so be it.

Well, I don't follow Sistani in all matters, although I respect his learning.

My own view on tattoos is that those tattoos which are not necessarily religious are okay. Like for example, somebody getting their child's name, or their spouse's name or of flowers or animals. With regards to religious tattoos I'm skeptical because if you have the word "Allah" "Muhammad" or "Hussain" etc. tattooed on you, there's a question of when your body is narjis while these things are on your body. For example, if you go to the bathroom, and you have such a permanent tattoo on you, are you not unintentionally defiling the name that's been written on you since your body is unclean afterwards? So with those tattoos of specific names or verses of a religious character, I tend to be more against, but generic tattoos, from what I've been told at least, there is nothing reprehensible in and of itself.

• Veteran Member

Allah issues his commands in truth, not just to command them. If Allah has decreed something to be done, there is a clear meaning and reasoning behind it. We may not always understand that reasoning or perceive the inner meaning, but it is there. The point I was trying to make is that circumcision's being a command implies that our bodies as they are born is not sufficient in Allah's sight and so some of these naturalistic arguments against tattoos contradict fundamental Islamic ideas on the human body and nature.

If we are going to argue against tattoos, either that is haram or halal yet reprehensible, we need a better reasoning. I'm not necessarily arguing that tattoos aren't reprehensible according to Ahlul Bayt, I'm just being honest and saying the reasoning by which some try to explain why often stinks and is unconvincing.

Simply because something cannot be proven to be sunna, in regards to the Prophet's personal habits, doesn't mean we shouldn't do it though. Every scholar worth his salt understands this. Otherwise, they'd be telling us to stop using computers and television because they "aren't sunnah." So, again to say "well, the ahlul bayt and their companions didn't do it as far as we can tell, therefore we shouldn't do it," is not a very good line of reasoning either, because there are many things we do both in religion and in the more secular areas of life that aren't part of the Prophetic sunnah, but which nonetheless are in conformity with the principles. For example, we use computers for communication or perhaps a humble means of entertainment or stimulation, which is perfectly Islamic as long as these acts don't transgress the core ethics of the religion.

All I'm saying is that if you agree that tattoos in and of themselves were reprehensible to Ahlul Bayt based on certain hadith and the rulings of certain scholars who base their judgement on those hadith, then that's okay, I can respect that. I just don't like it when people bring faulty lines of reasoning to defend such a stand. Either have a better line of a reasoning to defend it or accept that you don't understand the reasoning behind the ruling but accept it anyway because you believe it is legitimately a sacred tradition.

Well, I don't follow Sistani in all matters, although I respect his learning.

My own view on tattoos is that those tattoos which are not necessarily religious are okay. Like for example, somebody getting their child's name, or their spouse's name or of flowers or animals. With regards to religious tattoos I'm skeptical because if you have the word "Allah" "Muhammad" or "Hussain" etc. tattooed on you, there's a question of when your body is narjis while these things are on your body. For example, if you go to the bathroom, and you have such a permanent tattoo on you, are you not unintentionally defiling the name that's been written on you since your body is unclean afterwards? So with those tattoos of specific names or verses of a religious character, I tend to be more against, but generic tattoos, from what I've been told at least, there is nothing reprehensible in and of itself.

Again, brother I think that reason alone is sufficient. For one, it is through hadiths that such a scholar has given such an answer. Two, I agree with you on the reasoning of just because it isnt in sunnah doesnt mean it is not allowed. But, the point is, tatoos existed in their culture and in their time, and it is because of that reason, and the fact that none of them had a tatoo makes it detestable. Again, no scholar, not even sistani said it is haram. But, your second point with having religious names and such on tatoos should be a definitely no, for that reason alone, I agree as well.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

The only thing I think he should do is make a distinction between someone who is already a Muslim going out and getting a tattoo, and someone who is not currently a Muslim, but has tattoos. Want to make sure someone doesn't feel unwelcome because of something that is already done and can't readily be changed.

It's an important point, because tattoos have become immensely popular in the West. It's maybe becoming a majority thing. A lot of people who would potentially be converts someday would have tattoos. So you don't want them to get the impression Islam hates them for something they did in the past. It's halal but a Muslim shouldn't go out and get one and someone that has them shouldn't run out to get more.