Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Against oneself

Sayed Modarresi Slams The Tattoo Wearing Dudes

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yes people, including you and I, unless the opinion is derived from scholars.

(wasalam)

Indeed, then its their Islam.

^Idk why you're so negative towards the scholars and their conclusions honestly. As if you're above them and your ability to extract the truth of divine will from ahadith is greater.

There is much more to the religion than just tightrope walking on the borders of halaal and haraam.

That is the whole point that many people in this thread have been missing out on. Even if it not haram, tattooing is definitely reprehensible. 

I believe we Muslims should tke our guidance not from the haram / halal chart only but also from the reprehensible / commendable table. 

I honestly think moderassi's slam on tattos has something to do with our very own sayed ammar nakshawani recently getting tatted up....just guessing.

He did what? That's really surprising. 

Unless he's trying to get street cred to go do dawa to the rougher street corners of London.

^Idk why you're so negative towards the scholars and their conclusions honestly. As if you're above them and your ability to extract the truth of divine will from ahadith is greater.

I just said, what I know is that tattoos are permissible, and I know that because you can read it anywhere you want on any website for our scholars.

No need to be attacking me like that.

(Bismillah)

I just said, what I know is that tattoos are permissible, and I know that because you can read it anywhere you want on any website for our scholars.

No need to be attacking me like that.

(Salam)

Since you are a new member, your posts take a while to become active (before they appear to other members). Yours was, unfortunately enough, placed above my post which was directed at Ruq. I wasn't attacking you. I wasn't addressing you :).

(Wasalam)

^^ I am not trying to create fitna by saying its not photoshopped and I would not say it unless I am 100% sure. Otherwise like you, I would have also asummed its photoshopped because people have nothing better to do than create fitna and trash others. 

^^ I am not trying to create fitna by saying its not photoshopped and I would not say it unless I am 100% sure. Otherwise like you, I would have also asummed its photoshopped because people have nothing better to do than create fitna and trash others. 

You didn't answer my question, though. What's your basis for certainty? Note, I'm not trying to confront you about this, but it's just people often say they "know" something when it's 3rd or 4th hand friend of a friend of a ...

Speaking more generally, though, to everyone here, I would remind people about out duty to "assume the best" (husn adh-dhaan), and to recall what I said before about people who had tattoos already before becoming more serious about the faith. I don't know much about Nakhshawani's background, childhood, etc, but if this tattoo business is true, maybe it's a relic left over from some time in his life when he wasn't so serious, wasn't such a public figure or role model. Revealing it now could be sort of a message to similar youth; if you get serious and turn your thoughts toward higher ends, look what more you can accomplish.

Though if it is true and he is flashing this so openly in public, he really needs to get in front of this and manage the PR aspect of it.

Edited by kadhim

You didn't answer my question, though. What's your basis for certainty? Note, I'm not trying to confront you about this, but it's just people often say they "know" something when it's 3rd or 4th hand friend of a friend of a ...

Speaking more generally, though, to everyone here, I would remind people about out duty to "assume the best" (husn adh-dhaan), and to recall what I said before about people who had tattoos already before becoming more serious about the faith. I don't know much about Nakhshawani's background, childhood, etc, but if this tattoo business is true, maybe it's a relic left over from some time in his life when he wasn't so serious, wasn't such a public figure or role model. Revealing it now could be sort of a message to similar youth; if you get serious and turn your thoughts toward higher ends, look what more you can accomplish.

Though if it is true and he is flashing this so openly in public, he really needs to get in front of this and manage the PR aspect of it.

Assuming the best only applies when something is haram in the first place. Is having a tattoo haram? No its not, so lets not try to look for reasons to bash one of our best shia scholars. The reason I believe that photo is not photoshopped is because there are pics posted on several social media where again, his tattoos are obvious (not as obvious as the one on this thread, but still shows) and they have been posted by several different people so its not possible that all those pics are photoshopped. And these pics are appearing recently so maybe he decided he doesnt need to hide them (and why should he?, nothing wrong with it!!). I also personally know the realible sources who have seen him with the tattoos. 

I don't understand why Mr SAN will go around publicly showing Tattoos to the world?

Is he trying to attract attention to himself or is he trying to attract the youth so that they will go out and buy his latest book?

I used to respect and defend this man but after seeing many pics of SAN with Tattos it really makes me look down on him, this is so wrong! It makes him look like a thug that has just come out from the streets of Brixton not like an educated man who speaks about Islam publicly...seriously it seems like we have reached the end of times in this world!

Is SAN losing his mind..?!

Its very unfortunate that ammar has decided to xcercise his personal choice that effects and influences others in terms of this tatto business!

Edited by Mommin

So if Sayed Ammar Nakshawani gets a tattoo it means other scholars can criticise him in public, and make him "The Talk". It is sad that each time many scholars like to "The Talk" out of some Shia scholars or icons in the Muslim community. I'm not sure if its out of boredom or what. Sheikh Al Waeli, Sayed Fadlallah, Sheikh Yaacoubi, Sayed Kamal Haydari, and now its exclusive Sayed Ammar Nakshawani.

If you people have a problem with this then u should go up to him personally or email him an ask him. Maybe, as brother kadhim mentionesd, he got the tattoos before becoming religious or maybe he has other reasons we are not aware of. 

Sayed Ammar has never had this Tattoos before only recently it seems he got them done, I don't know the reasons why?

I know that he's moved to the States to further his study so maybe he's hanging around with the wrong type of crowd or people..!

bruv momin ... ammar has always been into pop culture and been into stuff like it. i dont know what wrong with u people!!! this tattoo business is bad ..... but why fuss now???? oh as if his tight tight sexy pants and low cut top were not bad enough. his speakin about briteny, kim and madonna wasnt enough!!! the dude has ALWAYS beeeen like this!!! our dear alim is like this. its no good!!!!

Bismillah

Salaam,

Lol, so one of the best english speaking lecturers ends up getting a tattoo - which looks pretty damn ugly imo and i'm guessing the quote on his arm is Sayyeda Zainab's (sa) 'all i see/saw is beauty' but it looks misquoted??

Man he must have been very high getting all that done - it doesnt even look nice!

I agree with most here, haram/halal/mubah/makruh isn't the problem here - it's the principal - he's always been on the edge yes, pushing boundaries, if he had a tattoo done and kept it private then that would have been better. He is in a position of authority. If our politicians were all walking around with tattoos what would our perception of them be? Or our primary/secondary teachers/doctors/nurses? Its not the 'act' as such thats the issue its having/maintaining the image/principal of having a certain persona/personality in public amongst the youth.

Not that it matters to him but i am rather amused and disappointed. And think whats getting to me more is that it's ugly!

Sorry for the rant.

Ws

Ps. I saw the pic that was posted here on page 2 - instagram link - just to say i haven't seen it in person - has anyone?

Edit: spelling mistakes

Edited by Ya Mahdi Madad

And you say that based on what? First hand witness? Or no? Hundreds of people would have seen him like that at that conference. 

It was seen by many, a few people on facebook have pictures with him and themselves showing his tattoo and even a smaller one his right hand (which looks better than the big one covering his left). People have even claimed to see one close to his neck. I've seen enough pictures and heard from enough people to believe it is true. The guy who uploaded the picture is also a known photographer who takes pictures of things related to Islam and Muslims (usually people - mainly hijabis - from what i've seen), he wouldn't upload a photoshopped pic with himself in it for no reason. 

Bismillah

Salaam,

Lol, so one of the best english speaking lecturers ends up getting a tattoo - which looks pretty damn ugly imo and i'm guessing the quote on his arm is Sayyeda Zainab's (sa) 'all i see/saw is beauty' but it looks misquoted??

It's not misquoted (it might even be more accurate if you consider word for word translations), it's just seems to have been tattooed on to him by Shakespeare. 

'Naught saw I, but beauty'. 

I still don't agree with SAN having these Tattos it just looks bad on him and ruins his image of a great speaker like that....what exactly went through his mind when he got them? Only Allah knows.

But I hope he's not trying to copy these crazy celebrities such as Beckam and Cheryl cole with their obsession with Tattos!

SAN should go and get laser treatment to remove them.