Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Repentant

Need Help, Losing Some Belief.

Rate this topic

Sallam Alykum.

I have been losing some belief recently and need help with that. I still consider myself Muslim and I still pray and fast though not as much as I should be doing.

Why do most people follow the religion they follow? It is because they grew up with it and followed their parents footsteps. This applies to me as well. Only reason I am Muslim is because my parents made me Muslim. I think thats a pathetic reason for following a religion. We could have just as easily grown up in a Christian, Hindu, atheist, etc. family and been devout in those beliefs or non-beliefs . This is why I respect converts so much, they actually research the various beliefs then follow it after much thinking and knowledge searching.

I want to be Muslim but I want to do it by having a heart and mind that has put work into knowing and researching the religion. I don't know where to begin with this though. There are thousands if not millions of books and I am limited to only English ones and then limited to only English ones available online for free. Where do I begin to finding the right books to help me in my quest in discovering Islam? 

(Bismillah)

(Salam)

If theology is the area which you primarily doubt, then you can watch lectures on the scientific proofs... If you wish to become more spiritually aware...

http://www.al-islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-khomeini/preface-allamah-muhammad-husayn-tabatabai

If it is some other aspect of Islam that is currently unconvincing or you would like to research more into, then please specify because I don't know what you feel unsatisfied with unless you make me aware.

"Although most people are preoccupied with earning their livelihood and pay little attention to spiritual matters, yet every man has an inherent desire to know the absolute truth. When this dormant power comes to surface and is awakened in some people, they gain a number of spiritual perceptions.

Despite the claim of the sophists and the atheists that every truth is an illusion, everybody believes in the existence of one eternal truth. When man with a pure heart and a pure spirit looks at the permanent factuality of the universe and at the same time observes the instability and transience of its various parts, he realizes that this world and its manifestations are a mirror which reflects the existence of one eternal truth. With this realization his joy knows no bounds and he is so elated that in his eyes everything else becomes insignificant and worthless.

This spectacle forms the basis of that impulse of the gnostics which draws the attention of the godly people to a world beyond perception and cultivates the love of Allah in their hearts. The pull which they feel towards this spectacle makes them forget everything and removes many desires from their hearts. This pull leads man to the worship of the Invisible Being who is more manifest than all that is visible or audible. It is this pull which gave birth to many a religion based on Allah's worship. The real gnostic is he who worships Allah not, because he hopes for any reward or is afraid of any punishment, but only because he knows Him and loves Him.

It is clear from the above that gnosis is not a religion like other religions. It is to be regarded as the central and the most vital part of all religions. Gnosis is a perfect way of worship, based on love, not on fear or hope. It is a way of understanding the inner facts of religion instead of being contented with its outward and perceptible form. Among the followers of all revealed religions, even among those who believe in idol-worship there are individuals who follow the path of gnosis. The gnostics are found among the followers of polytheistic religions as well as among the Jews, Christians, Zoroastrians and Muslims."

May Allah help us all in knowing Him.

(Wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

If theology is the area which you primarily doubt, then you can watch lectures on the scientific proofs... If you wish to become more spiritually aware...

http://www.al-islam.org/light-within-me-mutahhari-tabatabai-khomeini/preface-allamah-muhammad-husayn-tabatabai

May Allah help us all in knowing Him.

(wasalam)

Thanks for the response, I am also not sure which area I am unsatisfied with but I will read the book you suggested and hopefully it will help. thanks again.

First read the Quran. Than read Hadith books of Prophet Mujammad as well as the Nahjul Balagha

Thank you, unfortunately I can't read in arabic which is utterly pathetic of me considering I am Arab but I will read the English translation I have. As for hadeeth, how would I know what is true or false? Or is this something I shouldn't worry about for now? 

Because every human being needs a role model or they have a certain affinity toward someone or something and we believe we have the best role models hence we follow their ways. Thats just part of it.

Salaam Brother, I highly suggest start by watching any and all of Hassanain Rajabali's lectures on youtube. Then go and just read articles on your spare time on Al-Islam.org and IslamQuest.net/en . They are honestly easy and understandable to read. But watching Hassanain Rajabali / Ammar / Modarassi / Qazwini and so forth was a walk up call to me, made me question my faith truly. Reading the quran in english was amazing as well. Truly eye opening. It was as if Allah was talking directly to me. Truly a miraculous book. Maybe start with the existence of Allah and tawheed and go usool by usool and challenge Islam brick by brick? Oh and you dont have to do any in particular order. Read the quran, watch videos, and read articles all at the same time. It worked for me ^_^ particularly cause my head is all over the place.

(wasalam)

http://youtu.be/o7kPNhLi3tM

Edited by PureEthics

Sallam Alykum.

I have been losing some belief recently and need help with that. I still consider myself Muslim and I still pray and fast though not as much as I should be doing.

Why do most people follow the religion they follow? It is because they grew up with it and followed their parents footsteps. This applies to me as well. Only reason I am Muslim is because my parents made me Muslim. I think thats a pathetic reason for following a religion. We could have just as easily grown up in a Christian, Hindu, atheist, etc. family and been devout in those beliefs or non-beliefs . This is why I respect converts so much, they actually research the various beliefs then follow it after much thinking and knowledge searching.

I want to be Muslim but I want to do it by having a heart and mind that has put work into knowing and researching the religion. I don't know where to begin with this though. There are thousands if not millions of books and I am limited to only English ones and then limited to only English ones available online for free. Where do I begin to finding the right books to help me in my quest in discovering Islam? 

This line of thinking is called the "genetic fallacy". 

Being born knowing something does not mean it is either right or wrong. 

So refrain from thinking like this. 

This line of thinking is called the "genetic fallacy". 

Being born knowing something does not mean it is either right or wrong. 

So refrain from thinking like this. 

It is wrong when it comes to religion. Billions of people have been born into thousands of different religions. Only one religion is the right religion. Vast majority of people have had bad luck being born in the wrong religion. The ones born in the right one don't even know it except for the few who research. 

following Islam means following truth and your natural created state, it is truth and if you decide to not follow it and instead follow your evil desires(whatever it may be) it will destroy you

there is not other way to go 

you cant just step outside of the consequence and kingdom of God and find your own path as if you can break away from God's control 

you have two options follow God and be happy or follow evil and end up in the worst darkness that you cannot even imagine 

if you decide that your going to follow your evil desires, go ahead but i guarantee you that it wil lead you to such misery that you wont have no choice but to return back to God, only problem is that you will need to go through the purification of the hell fire even if it maybe in this world and this life 

Edited by herenow477

Reading the quran in english was amazing as well. Truly eye opening. It was as if Allah was talking directly to me. Truly a miraculous book. 

Of course, but there are many verses which cannot be taken literally.   And that is the danger for someone who is trying to find faith.

I don't know where to begin with this though. 

You could begin with

letter no 45 in the Nahjul Balagha, written by Imam Ali to his governor in Basra

letter no 53 in the Nahjul Balagha, written by Imam Ali to Malikay Ashtar, governor designate to Egypt.

I believe these should give you an idea of the Islamic mind set.

Look at it this way- at the end of the day our actions matter the most. And on this almost all religions promote good and forbid evil. Since you are born into a Muslim family then you are most likely to do best with Islam. That is unless you find flaws in Islam with certainty and find a rather desirable alternative.

Sallam Alykum.

Personally, I think that there are...multiple kinds of Islams being taught in the world.  Multiple interpretations rather.  If you have difficulty believing in one type of Islam, perhaps you should look into another kind.

I know everyone will say, oh Islam is one.  Well yes it is one, however, there are vastly different interpretations on all different concepts.  So, if you have difficulty believing in one interpretation, see what you think of others.

Also, doubt is a part of true faith.  You almost have to have doubt in Islam, if you are a true follower of Islam. So its nothing to be calling out for help on. It is just something that comes with being a true muslim.