Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

My Views May Be Sexist, Help!

Rate this topic

Sallam sisters

Thanks to a few people it has hit me that my views may be sexist, I hope its not true but if it is please help.

Can you kind sisters give me some important facts, teachings, Ayat or hadeeth which compliment women and which would increase my respect for them.

Apart from the fact that my mother is a women.

Unfortunately, The people around me often make sexist jokes, which I don't find funny or true.

Although I can't see where I am going wrong I hope an increased respect for them will make me a better person.

So tell me anything which is helpful for sexist men in changing their views.

Thank you

• Veteran Member

Salams,

Do you really need ahadith to do this? if you recognise that you sometimes think of women in ways that are unfair, judgemental or derogatory, you already know what you need to do - argue against the plainiff. What ever judgement youre making, list the evidence that contradicts that proposition. If a hadith says 'women are this or that' its not going to resonate much anyway unless you see it in the world around you. Look for the evidence everywhere.

• Advanced Member

"In the event that Ali would not have been created, there would have been no one worthy to be Fatimah’s (s.a..) spouse."

Musnad of Ahmad bin Hanbal, vol.5 p.36, Majma’ az-Zawa’id, 6 p.101, Ar-Riyadh an-Nadhirah, vol.2 p.194.

Notice how it didn't say "if :Fatima (as) were not created, there would be no one worthy to marry :Ali (as)."

The Sixth Imam said: Whoever has three daughters or three sisters should go to Heaven. [ibid]

The Prophet (Pbuh) said: God the Glorious, and the Almighty is kinder to girls than He is to boys. On the Day of Judgment God will please one who pleases his daughters. [Vasa'il, v.20, p.364]

The Prophet (Pbuh) has said the following regarding the value of having a daughter: Your best children are your daughters. [bihar al-Anwar, v.104, p.91]

The Prophet (Pbuh) said: One who is the guardian of three daughters or sisters shall certainly go to Heaven. They asked him what if one takes care of just two? He replied yes. They asked him what if he takes care of just one daughter or one sister? Again he replied yes.[Vasa'il, v.21, p.368]

The Prophet (Pbuh) said: One who goes to the market and buys something and brings it home for his wife and children is similar to one who supports the needy. It is better to give a priority to daughters in gifts. In fact, whoever pleases his daughter gets the reward of having freed one of the slaves from the line of Islamel.[bihar alAnwar, v.104, p.69]

There is another :Hadith that I dont know where is, but it said having a daughter is a gift and having a son is a responsibility. It should be in this PDF, where I got most these :hadiths:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=IyWDU56GDPKzsQT34YHwDw&url=http://www.islamicentre.org/Tarbiyaat/articles/girl.pdf&cd=4&ved=0CDAQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNHsrnpx7r8dud5gwD2pBqDLgvPqrQ&sig2=kYBf2gYaCLHD4NKKNGctcg

These are just to teach you the value of women. Having three sons in it of itself will not get you to heaven as far as Im aware.

Edited by :Ruffles

When you have views about Women in general, apply them to Fatima a.s Lady Khadija , Lady Zainab, and ask yourself - would you have the same views for these women too?

Salams,

Do you really need ahadith to do this? if you recognise that you sometimes think of women in ways that are unfair, judgemental or derogatory, you already know what you need to do - argue against the plainiff. What ever judgement youre making, list the evidence that contradicts that proposition. If a hadith says 'women are this or that' its not going to resonate much anyway unless you see it in the world around you. Look for the evidence everywhere.

What views are those?

I Don't see where I am going wrong, when I reflect on myself I sometimes get the feeling that I may be a hypocrite. I am young so I could be a little immature about women but I can't see it, I have been accused of viewing women as objects, or second to men, but I know this isn't my view, so what am I doing wrong that makes people think of me as sexist or old fashioned.

• Advanced Member

Everyone pretty much mentioned it all, but here's another one: 

Surah An-Nisa, Ayah 19: "...And live with them in kindness..."

The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The most perfect of believers in belief is the best of them in character. The best of you are those who are the best to their women." This means that a husband's treatment of his wife reflects good character, which in turn is a reflection of his faith.

And another: 

Anas narrated: “The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) was once traveling (in a caravan and women were riding the camels) and a boy named Anjashah was chanting for the camels. The Messenger of Allah said: “O Anjashah, drive the camels slowly as they are carrying “Qawareer” (Crystals).

Here, the Prophet (PBUH) describes women as crystals, meaning that they should not be dealt with harshly and should be treated the way someone handles someone precious.