Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
-Fatima-

Mixed Gym For The Brothers

Rate this topic

Salam,

I feel like this is an issue that should be clarified.

Is mixed gym ok for men to attend, and if so, being halal, should they attend such a place?

Please bring forward fatwas and quotations.

To add to your question, when someone says mixed Gymn do they mean women register there? Or do you mean woman are present?

What if you go to the gymn early hours when literally no-one is present? Or go when there are no women? Or use a room where there are no women?

Walikum us salaam. It is prohibited. You must avoid going there. Here is the fatwa

Question: Is it haram for me to go to to a gym ( a training center for body builders) where women and men both can sign up for training there? It is nearly impoossible to find a gym that is only restricted for men, here in Scandinavia (Denmark). How should I act?

Answer: It is not allowed.

To add to your question, when someone says mixed Gymn do they mean women register there? Or do you mean woman are present?

What if you go to the gymn early hours when literally no-one is present? Or go when there are no women? Or use a room where there are no women?

It does not matter whether a person goes during early hours or not. Going early hours when no one is present, what is the guarantee a women wont show up one day and not to forget the chances of having bad company. So its better to avoid it.

Edited by race

Note that sayyid Sistani also prohibits going to mixed schools.

I can understand this gym ruling for women - women have a more encompassing hijab, and a gym requires you to be more exposed for certain workouts. Women also get approached a lot at gyms. But if men simply lower their gaze, which we are supposed to do everywhere we go, they'd never run into trouble. I don't talk to anyone when I'm working out, and women are certainly not the ones approaching men 99 percent of the time.

The "there are women there" point also applies to workplaces, restaurants, theatres, offices, pretty much everywhere. We should always lower our interaction with the opposite gender and avoid befriending them. Interaction with women should be clean and professional. But I don't think keeping men away from gyms is going to do much for us in this life or the next.

Yes but why go to a place where women are more exposed. Its is highly unlikely that a man intends to go to a gym thinking no women will have her skin showing. A place where interaction is possible due to use of machines and the harm of sinning by ones eyes. Once you start going there, you will most likely go to other places and there is a lot of haram interaction. If a girl or a boy start kissing in a classroom, they will be kicked out. Same with restaurants, and other places you mentioned. Inappropriate behaviour is not allowed in restaurants, offices and especially classrooms. The environment is classrooms, restaurants and offices is more likely to be appropriate and I am sure there are other reasons which we are unable to see and understand. One can work out more effectively at home or a park. You don't have to buy a lot of equipment. That's what I do. Working at home can also save you time.

Gym, beaches, swimming pools are known for improper dress and behaviour. Look at this fatwa of Sistani:

Question: What is the Islamic opinion to swimming in unisex environments such as the beach, swimming pools, and other areas?

Answer: It is not permissible.

The fatwa about co-education, is this the one you are talking about?

Question: What is the fatwa about co-education? Is co-education permissible?

Answer: If there is an evil in co-education, it is not allowed and Islam does not permit it. Normally, there is sin in co-education environments.
Edited by race

Yes but why go to a place where women are more exposed. Its is highly unlikely that a man intends to go to a gym thinking no women will have her skin showing. A place where interaction is possible due to use of machines and the harm of sinning by ones eyes. Once you start going there, you will most likely go to other places and there is a lot of haram interaction. If a girl or a boy start kissing in a classroom, they will be kicked out. Same with restaurants, and other places you mentioned. Inappropriate behaviour is not allowed in restaurants, offices and especially classrooms. The environment is classrooms, restaurants and offices is more likely to be appropriate and I am sure there are other reasons which we are unable to see and understand. One can work out more effectively at home or a park. You don't have to buy a lot of equipment. That's what I do. Working at home can also save you time.

Gym, beaches, swimming pools are known for improper dress and behaviour. Look at this fatwa of Sistani:

Question: What is the Islamic opinion to swimming in unisex environments such as the beach, swimming pools, and other areas?

Answer: It is not permissible.

The fatwa about co-education, is this the one you are talking about?

Question: What is the fatwa about co-education? Is co-education permissible?

Answer: If there is an evil in co-education, it is not allowed and Islam does not permit it. Normally, there is sin in co-education environments.

To be honest, people are just as likely to gaze at the gym as they are anywhere else, especially in non-Muslim countries. The gym isn't a beach or a swimming pool. The wandering eye is a bigger problem in a mall than it is at a gym. Some gym women are covered, some are less covered - it's the same at the park, at the university, at the grocery store, etc. In our fiqh, seeing the hair and arms of the Kitabiyya is permissible. The average gym-girl is not in a Bikini; at the very most she'll be wearing shorts. But shorts are not limited to the gym, shorts and skirts are just about everywhere you go in the West.

And let's face it: many of the existing male-only gyms are cesspools for gays. So if my options are 1) Lowering my gaze and focusing on my workout, or 2) Being hit on by men, the choice is pretty obvious.

When I go to the gym, I rarely open my mouth - I focus on my workout and zone out everyone around me. I think most people do the same. It's more likely for male-female interaction to occur just about anywhere else, including most Islamic events, than it is at a gym.

As for schools, here is the q&a:

Question: Is it permissible for those who reside in the West to send their muhajjaba daughters to co-ed schools (irrespective of whether or not education is compulsory) while there exist non co-ed schools which obviously are expensive, located faraway or of a low academic standard?

Answer: It is not permissible, [even] if it [just] corrupts their character, let alone if it harms their beliefs and commitment to the faith which is what normally happens!

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2057/

There are many many alternatives. E.g. jogging in the park, buy equipment for the home (it will be cheaper than joining the gym), join a football team etc.

Perhaps the weather doesn't go to -40 in the UK, but over here, it's winter for most of the year. Jogging and icy winds don't go too well together. As for buying equipment, most university students have access to their school's gym, and can't afford to build a home gym.

What I would like to understand from the brothers is you walk into the gym, your eye doesn't fall on a woman who is badly dressed? Doesn't such an environment have a bad effect on one's nafs? Music is playing- therefore the shaytan is present which sets the right mood for sin (not to mention that most music these days is sexualised)- women are running on treadmills or doing certain stretches all around you and not to mention that even IF they do wear long clothing, it's most likely second skin clothing. This environment isn't perfectly set up for sin? I find it very hard to believe so.
Yes such women are dressed badly in shopping centers and the likes, but these women are on the move. They're bending over, running, squatting, whatever it is that they do. On the street or the shopping center they simply pass by. End of scene.

As for buying your own equipment being expensive, here in AUS, lets say a cheap fee of $50 a month is paid (not including the sign up/contract fee) will equate to say $600 a year. With $600 dollars, say $700 or $800 including sign up fees, you can buy yourself at least 2 pieces of large workout equipment, not including cheap things like dumbbells and other weights. 

Edited by -Fatima-

-Fatima- makes a point. I went to a gym a long time ago. There would be 20-25 men and this one girl. You can accurately guess she was a hooker.

Then I went to pick-up someone at a gym about 5-6 years ago. It was mixed. In there at the back was this guy I knew years ago. I knew him well enough to know he was there as the local 'barracuda' --just as he was 20 years earlier.

Perhaps the weather doesn't go to -40 in the UK, but over here, it's winter for most of the year. Jogging and icy winds don't go too well together. As for buying equipment, most university students have access to their school's gym, and can't afford to build a home gym.

Not -40 but certainly below zero in the winter. Do people not play outdoor sports in your country, under those conditions? Do you not have basketball courts or ice hockey fields? When I said buying equipment, I meant weights for those who want to do weightlifting. That doesn't cost a lot. I didn't mean the expensive equipment. However I do think that effective exercise can be done without equipment, and even without being outside.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Seems kind of hypocritical that men make elaborate excuses as to why it is OK for men to attend a mixed gym that is a focus for many things we are supposed to avoid. Loud aggressive music; self absorbed, looking-for-action gay men, half dressed women (and men) bending and stretching in odd provocative positions ….etc.  Yet, women get judged by these same men about the quality of their physical hijab - which wouldn't even come close in comparison to what we are describing here.

Seems kind of hypoweirdly. that men make elaborate excuses as to why it is OK for men to attend a mixed gym that is a focus for many things we are supposed to avoid. Loud aggressive music; self absorbed, looking-for-action gay men, half dressed women (and men) bending and stretching in odd provocative positions ….etc.  Yet, women get judged by these same men about the quality of their physical hijab - which wouldn't even come close in comparison to what we are describing here.

Exactly, unlike men we can't go outside without being gawked at or looked at weirdly.

(Bismillah)

Exactly, unlike men we can't go outside without being gawked at or looked at weirdly.

(Salam)

Exactly, because females are fundamentally different than males. I don't understand why that's so hard to understand for some people.

Why are there so many female supremacists on SC?

Maryaam:

Females have vastly more exterior beauty than men in this respect and have been given 9/10ths of shame while men have been given 1/10. This is why they have to cover up.

So no, it's not hypocritical. It's just females trying to be men again. Feminism and 'equality' shining through because of societal conditioning.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted what you said though. I do not wish to unnecessarily offend, but some truths which many refuse to accept (due to societal pressures and brainwashing) must be pointed out.

(Wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Exactly, because females are fundamentally different than males. I don't understand why that's so hard to understand for some people.

Why are there so many female supremacists on SC?

Maryaam:

Females have vastly more exterior beauty than men in this respect and have been given 9/10ths of shame while men have been given 1/10. This is why they have to cover up.

So no, it's not hypocritical. It's just females trying to be men again. Feminism and 'equality' shining through because of societal conditioning.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted what you said though. I do not wish to unnecessarily offend, but some truths which many refuse to accept (due to societal pressures and brainwashing) must be pointed out.

(wasalam)

wasalam

That is not what I am saying at all.  I am saying that men need to manage their own hijab better - but they deflect their own responsibility by judging their sisters instead - and here is a good example in some of the posts in this thread. They find excuses to maintain an easier path while at the same time criticizing women who have a more stringent and difficult to follow hijab for longer hours and in every setting other than home.

And you just did the same.  Instead of addressing men making excuses as to why they have to go to mixed gyms and all the associated haram behaviour there - you judge and name call women who are following hijab.  

Your difficulty is that I pointed out the hypocrisy in it.  

(Bismillah)

wasalam

That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that men need to manage their own hijab better - but they deflect their own responsibility by judging their sisters instead - and here is a good example in some of the posts in this thread. They find excuses to maintain an easier path while at the same time criticizing women who have a more stringent and difficult to follow hijab for longer hours and in every setting other than home.

I see what you mean. You're absolutely right that this is a big issue in the communities... I've seen (literally no joke) Salafis here that walk around in shorts and a T-shirt with their wife in Niqab... That is hypocritical. And criticizing the sisters' hijab while openly and shamelessly neglecting one's own is also hypocritical yes. But trying to nudge sisters in the right direction with their hijab seems to always be taken as arrogant behaviour that must be stopped. That's all I don't agree with. We should be allowed to try and improve our communities without being attacked (whether it be the issue of women's hijab or men's), but you're absolutely right in that we must improve ourselves (speaking for men) before we start talking about others because that would only provoke upset because of the hypocritical nature of the criticism.

And you just did the same. Instead of addressing men making excuses as to why they have to go to mixed gyms and all the associated haram behaviour there - you judge and name call women who are following hijab.

Your difficulty is that I pointed out the hypocrisy in it.

No difficulty sister. I now understand where you're coming from. I agree that it is hypocritical to try and find 'loopholes' or 'easy ways out' for men while women suffer a much worse time trying to even do what is easy for males (tahleel and tahrim-wise).

I'm sorry if I offended you. I don't like criticizing sisters' hijab because they already do a lot more then all the men do currently on the whole and I feel that it would deter them from wearing hijab at all and what a loss that would be. So Masha'Allah for your sacrifices and may Allah reward you well for your patience in the next life Insha'Allah.

But at the same time sometimes I see issues with the mentality of some sisters and I can't help but speak my mind on the issue. I misunderstood your meaning though and this was not one of those cases, so please forgive me.

(Wasalam)

Edited by Hazyn

(bismillah)

(salam)

One short remark for the brothers:

The "fact" that women posses "vastly more exterior beauty" is a man's point of view. 

For me as a woman, a man can be just as attractive as a woman, as I am not a lesbian. Only I do not go around calling men bad names, but take care of my eyes and my behavior, as in the West, where I live, the men are walking half-exposed in summer (and in gyms), just as women do.

So I see no excuse for brothers to go around dressed lightly, and at same time call all women who do not wear hijab, and even some of those who do, "hookers".

The issue is rather that it is in a man's nature to be more sexually aggressive and it is more difficult for them to control or suppress their physical needs, so rather than looking at their own behavior and avoiding mixing with inappropriately dressed women, they blame women in general for simply being a woman (that God has created).

So avoid places with lightly dressed women as much as you can, lover your gaze when you cannot avoid them and take care of your own thoughts, and all the hookers of the world won't bother you!

With kindest regards, ;)

Amina 

(bismillah)

But trying to nudge sisters in the right direction with their hijab seems to always be taken as arrogant behaviour that must be stopped. 

(wasalam)

(salam)

Here is a positive idea. Why not praise the efforts made by your sisters in faith?  That goes a long way to support the ummah.  What supports women, supports families and children and community.  It is not easy for women in a lot of settings, but they do their best. Constantly being critical and judgmental (nudging?) does not help – it just hurts. Acknowledging someone’s efforts is the biggest reinforcement to them advancing even more… and it becomes an intrinsic effort.

One way to support them is to first make sure that you are supporting your brothers to make the best choices. Lead by example, not by reproach and condemnation.

And – the assumption is that women are drooling idiots. – how insulting is that?  Do you think women don’t know what hijab is?? They are taught it and practice it years before boys even know it exists.  And you need to” nudge” them?  Can you not see how that is arrogant?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Sister Amina:

The "fact" that women posses "vastly more exterior beauty" is a man's point of view.

It's not a man's point of view honestly. It's Islam's point of view. Which is one of the reasons they must cover more than men must. If you like I can bring ahadith to substantiate this, but it's kind of obvious.

For me as a woman, a man can be just as attractive as a woman

If this were true, then we should be wearing hijab as well, no?

the men are walking half-exposed in summer (and in gyms), just as women do.

I don't support this and it's not the attitude of religious men.

So I see no excuse for brothers to go around dressed lightly, and at same time call all women who do not wear hijab, and even some of those who do, "hookers".

Agreed.

The issue is rather that it is in a man's nature to be more sexually aggressive and it is more difficult for them to control or suppress their physical needs, so rather than looking at their own behavior and avoiding mixing with inappropriately dressed women, they blame women in general for simply being a woman (that God has created).

True. It is the burden of both sexes to promote modesty in a society. The burden does not fall solely on the female nor does it fall solely on the male.

So avoid places with lightly dressed women as much as you can, lover your gaze when you cannot avoid them and take care of your own thoughts, and all the hookers of the world won't bother you!

Good advice :).

Sister Maryaam:

Here is a positive idea. Why not praise the efforts made by your sisters in faith?  That goes a long way to support the ummah.  What supports women, supports families and children and community.

Of course :). Who said not to praise the efforts? It makes me feel warm inside when I see a woman practicing proper hijab and I want to go up to them and tell them how much I respect them for performing this great Jihaad, but of course I cannot do that lol.

It is not easy for women in a lot of settings, but they do their best. Constantly being critical and judgmental (nudging?) does not help – it just hurts. Acknowledging someone’s efforts is the biggest reinforcement to them advancing even more… and it becomes an intrinsic effort.

This is the thing though. Not all of them do their best. Some of the do need 'nudging' or 'guidance' or 'advice', just as males need exactly the same. If I see a brother whose gaze wanders constantly, I'm going to try and advise him am I not? Should the same not be true for sisters? Or are they exempt?

See the thing is, I'm advocating the middle-ground on this issue. Not too biased towards one sex or the other. Each gender has issues that, if present, should be corrected. The view you are giving off currently (this is how it seems to me) is one of a retaliatory stance towards the over-criticizing of women's hijab that is currently taking place in our communities and under-criticizing of men's hijab. I understand why this attitude arises, but I hope you understand what I mean when I say: You are absolutely correct that the attentions of our communities are misplaced, but that doesn't mean that we go from the extreme that they are currently resting upon and flip it completely. We need to strive to find a balance. You're advocating no criticism of women and no blame on them while trying to put all of the blame on men, no? I believe the blame and problem is shared and it must be fixed while realizing that even burdens fall on the shoulders of both genders.

And – the assumption is that women are drooling idiots. – how insulting is that?  Do you think women don’t know what hijab is?? They are taught it and practice it years before boys even know it exists.  And you need to” nudge” them?  Can you not see how that is arrogant?

I'm not talking about the ones that practice it properly sister. If a woman wears perfect hijab, what is there to improve upon? Those people that wear perfect hijab I respect immensely beacuse I can only imagine the great Jihaad it is. Same with the brothers that maintain perfect social hijab. It is very hard so I respect them immensely and may Allah make us all of those who practice perfect hijab.

I'm talking about the girls who are taught hijab but then neglect it in some way or another (and there are many of these women). Example is the women who wear extremely tight clothes or have half their hair showing. Have they been taught the proper hijab? Probably, yes. Are they drooling idiots? No of course not, just in need of a little guidance and a 'nudge' as I said. What's wrong with helping them sister? Just as helping males lower their gaze by advising them and telling them that what they are doing is wrong is perfectly fine, why isn't admonishing these females perfectly fine as well? Hypocrisy?

One way to support them is to first make sure that you are supporting your brothers to make the best choices. Lead by example, not by reproach and condemnation.

Condemnation is not right... But are you not condemining the men for lacking in their hijab then as well? Doing the very thing that you say is not correct?

At the end of the day, the fact is this:

I am not perfect with my hijab, but I try and may Allah accept my little efforts.

That being said, the following is the action I would take in certain scenarios:

1. If a brother has gaze-wandering problems then I will approach him and talk to him and give him brotherly advice.

2. If a sister has her hijab on but wears very tight clothes for example, obviously I can't approach her directly, but I will make people aware that this is a problem within our communities (while still not forgetting the problem with the males as well) and try to promote reform.

Why should the latter attitude be condemned if it is balanced with the former attitude?

You are encouraging support for women's hijab and absolutely no admonition because we must 'support your brothers to make the best choices', but then again you are okay with us admonishing brothers for not lowering their gaze? Is this not double standards?

All I'm saying is that we should not make one single gender's hijab our focus to the complete exclusion of the other one. I understand that in society today an unfair amount of emphasis is placed on females' hijab while neglect is shown towards males' hijab, but turning the tables and reversing this entirely by placing an unfair amount of emphasis on the hijab of the males and not putting much at all on the females'... Would that do any more good than the current situation?

What (it seems) you are feeling currently is that absolutely all criticism of the hijab of women in socity is fundamentally rooted in arrogance and self-righteousness when it comes from a male. This is not true and that's what I'm hopefully trying to get across to you. This is the main reason you are reacting this way to the notion of brothers speaking of reform with the hijab of women (of course not to the exclusion of their own hijab)... Please correct me if I'm wrong at any point. These are the impressions I am getting.

If criticism and admonition is well-intentioned and contributes towards the improvement of the hijab of women (meaning not to put down women or anything, as you feel seems to be the case 100% of the time) and also does not neglect the need for improvement of men's hijab, why should it be condemned?

Balance.

(wasalam)

Edited by Hazyn

(bismillah)

(salam) brothers, 

first of all, NOBODY CAN REFUTE US!!  :D We are the daughters of Al Zahra (as) and Zaynab  (as), so don't even start a polemic with us...

After some quick reading here and there, I actually found out that some maraja' recommend the proper covering for men, too - long trousers, long sleeves and no shorts and sleeveless T-Shirts and such...

(I intend to do some more research when I have enough time, just for myself, to see who says what exactly.)

So as far as men are concerned, they do not have to wear scarves but there definitely is a proper code for dress for them too, so piety, modesty and Islamic look is intended for BOTH genders (yes, even in the West, and yes, even when it's 45°C outside).

And, brother Hazyn, thank you for agreeing with us on most of the points - it just proves that you really are READING those posts, instead just searching for opposite arguments. I enjoy a good exchange of different points of view and I respect the "opponent".

Kindest regards,

Amina

Condemnation is not right... But are you not condemining the men for lacking in their hijab then as well? Doing the very thing that you say is not correct?

I pointed out the hypocrisy and yet you give another lecture. LOL

You seem to have a slot answer here. MY POINT was - that you seemed to have gotten but then lost as you slipped into lecture mode….  the same men who come up with lame excuses as to why they should be allowed to be in a stated haram environment,with the same issues (lack of clothing for men and women, loud music, mirrors that reflect everything in the room, equipment that is centimetres from a woman doing her thing in exercise wear, meeting place for gay men) that they would speak against in any other setting due to adherence to hijab, do not hesitate to find ongoing fault in women. Finding fault in women is a hobby for some - hundreds of threads on here would point to that. I guess it is easier to direct sisters with a smug sense of piety, than to address their own issues.

I understand that men like to go to the gym and can convince themselves that they can handle the haram environment - I fully understand the excuses they give as to why - even though it is not permitted.. they  feel they are going for the exercise and have no other intentions.  I get it.  However, there are many environments (many many more for women) that women would like to participate in, as well, but they have to avoid due to hijab and those same kinds of excuses would not be tolerated (usually by the same men) and the woman would be denigrated. I was pointing out the hypocrisy. Understand? 

(bismillah)

(salam) sister Maryaam,

I have a strong feeling that, were some of us sisters insisting on going to the mixed gym - WITH HIJAB - and assuring everyone that she can handle the haram environment very good, then this discussion would have taken a completely different direction... Then it would have been an absolute haram in any circumstances.

Ah, but I forgot - WE are only women, and we have to be modest, but our brethren in faith can handle all those half naked women stretching, squatting and bowing indecently all around them with perfect ease and absolute control of their eyes and mind. After all, what is a man without muscles?  :mellow:

"Haram" seems to be a very FLEXIBLE definition nowadays...

Kindest regards,

Amina

(bismillah)

(bismillah)

(salam) brothers,

first of all, NOBODY CAN REFUTE US!! :D We are the daughters of Al Zahra (as) and Zaynab (as), so don't even start a polemic with us...

After some quick reading here and there, I actually found out that some maraja' recommend the proper covering for men, too - long trousers, long sleeves and no shorts and sleeveless T-Shirts and such...
(I intend to do some more research when I have enough time, just for myself, to see who says what exactly.)

So as far as men are concerned, they do not have to wear scarves but there definitely is a proper code for dress for them too, so piety, modesty and Islamic look is intended for BOTH genders (yes, even in the West, and yes, even when it's 45°C outside).

And, brother Hazyn, thank you for agreeing with us on most of the points - it just proves that you really are READING those posts, instead just searching for opposite arguments. I enjoy a good exchange of different points of view and I respect the "opponent".

Kindest regards,

Amina

You are not my opponents and I'm not looking to refute anyone. We are all Shia and we should not argue for the sake of proving the other one wrong because that comes out of arrogance.

(wasalam)

Edited by Hazyn

(bismillah)

You are not my opponents and I'm not looking to refute anyone. We are all Shia and we should not argue for the sake of proving the other one wrong because that comes out of arrogance.

(wasalam)

IA  but …. Why did you not address post #26 then with the same response?

(bismillah)

(salam) brothers, 

first of all, NOBODY CAN REFUTE US!!  :D We are the daughters of Al Zahra (as) and Zaynab  (as), so don't even start a polemic with us..

Okay... We are the sons of the Prophets(a.s.a), Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w), the Imaams of Ahlulbayt (a.s.a) and the True Sahaabah(r.a) and Successors(r.a) of the Holy Prophets and Imaams.

Beat that :p

(bismillah)

IA  but …. Why did you not address post #26 then with the same response?

I didn't write that post so I thought it was unnecessary to mention that I did not endorse that view. You're right though, I should have addressed it.

I pointed out the hypocrisy and yet you give another lecture. LOL

You seem to have a slot answer here. MY POINT was - that you seemed to have gotten but then lost as you slipped into lecture mode…. the same men who come up with lame excuses as to why they should be allowed to be in a stated haram environment,with the same issues (lack of clothing for men and women, loud music, mirrors that reflect everything in the room, equipment that is centimetres from a woman doing her thing in exercise wear, meeting place for gay men) that they would speak against in any other setting due to adherence to hijab, do not hesitate to find ongoing fault in women. Finding fault in women is a hobby for some - hundreds of threads on here would point to that. I guess it is easier to direct sisters with a smug sense of piety, than to address their own issues.

I understand that men like to go to the gym and can convince themselves that they can handle the haram environment - I fully understand the excuses they give as to why - even though it is not permitted.. they feel they are going for the exercise and have no other intentions. I get it. However, there are many environments (many many more for women) that women would like to participate in, as well, but they have to avoid due to hijab and those same kinds of excuses would not be tolerated (usually by the same men) and the woman would be denigrated. I was pointing out the hypocrisy. Understand?

dyRmqYo.png

:)

(wasalam)

Edited by Hazyn

There's a very simple reason why it is haram.

Let's say one day at this mixed gym, a Muslim dude goes there and on this day somehow there is only women. There is a women working as a gym attendant, and only women are working out. The possibility of this happening is low, but sill possible. It wouldn't e permissible for the man to be there with these women who are not related to him, or who have any marriage with him

(bismillah)

I didn't write that post so I thought it was unnecessary to mention that I did not endorse that view. You're right though, I should have addressed it.

dyRmqYo.png

:)

(wasalam)

You don't like being lectured - and guess what - neither do we! Glad to see you got it. :)