Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Amina

Praying For Dead Infidel Parents?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Does someone know if there is any ruling that explicitly forbids or allows praying for your parents who died as Infidels (or any other deceased person who died as a non-believer)? 

Can I perform a prayer or tasbeeh or give sadaqa and dedicate the thawab for them?

(wasalam)

Amina

thats a question which often goes through my mind. born muslims cannot understand how glad they could be, when their beloved die they can do all that acts gifting to their death and so they have a kind of relationship to the people they miss but for the reverts they often feel sad for their family members and dont know what to do.

Of Course. Pray for them all the time, maybe through your prayer Allah grants them Jannah. Allah the the most merciful and inshAllah they are forgiven. Also, just because they died disbelievers doesnt exactly mean they will go to hell: http://www.al-islam.org/faith-and-reason-ayatullah-mahdi-hadavi-tehrani/question-13-non-muslims-and-hell

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

Allah takes everything into account, including ignorance.

There is a group of people called the mustadh'afeen. These people are unaware and they will be judged accordingly. Allah is the most just. Don't feel that your prayers cannot help them because they certainly can. They can also go to Jannah Insha'Allah.

(wasalam)

Edited by Hazyn

(bismillah)

(salam)

Well, as for being ignorant, they were indeed ignorant of any faith, as they were born and raised, and in my father's case, died during Communism, where they were thought Marxism, dialectical materialism and such atheist rubbish from the primary school on. Going into church or mosque was forbidden, and the few churches that escaped demolition were visited only by very old people. Any religious festivities or practice was sanctioned and would have been dangerous and punishable by law. Religious literature was non-existent, so people had no idea what it was all about.  Any religion was considered "opium for the masses", (to cite Lenin) and those circumstances led to whole generations of people being misled and dying as atheists. 

I  pray for them daily, but I am not sure if any specific 'amal (other than a du'a for forgiveness) can be performed and thawab given as a gift to them, as they were not Muslims. 

Someone once told me that a woman came to the Apostle of God (pbuh) and described her deceased father to him, and the Prophet (pbuh) answered her that, had he been a Muslim, he would have read the Fatiha for him. That indicated to me that after dying as a non-Muslim, a person is not entitled to Islamic prayers or other good deeds in their name.

But if someone can prove me wrong, I would be delighted! 

Kindest regards,

Amina

Edited by Amina

Salaam

It is permissible to pray for non Muslim parents

It is compulsory to be kind to them

This isn't my opinion but taken from multiple places on net and Quran.

Blood relations don't end with change of faith.

In fact it's all the more necessary for their guidance and you never know if Allah guides them too. Inshaallah.

I'm sorry I overlooked the deceased part.

There are varying opinions about following verse

Allah says, “It is not fitting for the Prophet and the believers to pray for the forgiveness of the polytheists, even though they may be near kin (to them) after it has become clear them that they are the people of Hell.” (At-Tawbah: 113)

Some say it's specific and others say it's applicable to all times.

They could not reject what they didn't know. The people of hell are those who knew what is right and denied it from stubbornness or arrogance or greed or other selfish motivations.

If it helps you to pray for them and do dua', then you should. 

The only people we are not allowed to do dua' for are those who are open enemies of Allah(s.w.a), like Yazid(la), Muawiya(la), Abu Lahab(la), etc. 

Allah(s.w.a) may accept your dua' and it may help them, who knows. Only Allah(s.w.a) knows their true situation including their intention and what is in their heart and soul, and what Ayat (signs) and knowledge they were given. Noone else except Allah(s.w.a) and themselves knows that and it will be made clear to you in the next life, but until then, why not. It won't hurt you or them, at least, and they may get something out of it. 

Thikr(remembrance) of Allah(s.w.a) is good for you in any time and situation, regardless of the effects it may or may not have on them. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

(Salam)

“The dead person in his grave is like the drowning person who calls for help, hoping for a supplication to reach him from his father or mother or brother or friend, and when it reaches him it will be dearer to him than this world and everything in it. Allah will cause to reach the inhabitants of the graves gifts like mountains as a result of the supplication of the inhabitant of houses (i.e., the living). And the gift of the living to the dead is prayers for forgiveness.” –the prophet (pbuh)

“There is no household of whom one person dies and they give charity on his behalf after his death, but Jibreel (peace be upon him) will present it to him on a platter of light. He will stand at the edge of the grave and say: ‘O occupant of the deep grave, this is a gift given to you by your family, so accept it.’ Then he will enter upon him, and he will rejoice thereat and be of good cheer, and his neighbours who were not given anything will be sad.” -the prophet (pbuh)

I have a book where these two hadeeths are joined in one but I found these translations on the internet so they may be from sunni sources. There are other hadeeths by imam sadiq about fasting and praying for the deceased but I cannot find their english translation online.

Praying for the deceased regardless of whether theyll end up in jahanam or not will definitely lift off some of their punishments and ease their way in barsakh. Your duas will help them with the lonliness they encounter in barzakh. Inshallah Allah blesses us all with sons and daughters who'll remember us in dua once we've passed away.

Sister,

I'm not sure of Arabic translation but the verse that prohibits praying uses the word polytheist. Or those who believe in many gods or add partners to Allah. It does not include those who deny or not recognize any God atheist.

Secondly part says "after it is proven that they are inmates of hell"

There are only two ways someone is proven as inmate of hell

1 declaration by prophets or imams by will of Allah

2 person doing something which Quran describes as "inmates of hell"

Hope you get guidance on this matter.

(wasalam)

حضرت آیت الله بهجت در پاسخ به این سوال که:« آیا می توانیم برای کافران هم دعا کنیم؟ آیا این کار صحیح است؟» اینگونه پاسخ دادند:

دعا برای کفار آن ها را از مخلّد بودن در نار جهنم نجات می دهد

Ayatollah Bahjat when he was asked whether we could pray for the unbelievers and if this would be okay, he (may he rest in peace) replied:

Prayer (Du'a = دعا) for the unbelievers will save them from remaining in the eternal fire of Hell forever.

http://jamnews.ir/detail/news/227780

(wasalam)

حضرت آیت الله بهجت در پاسخ به این سوال که:« آیا می توانیم برای کافران هم دعا کنیم؟ آیا این کار صحیح است؟» اینگونه پاسخ دادند:

دعا برای کفار آن ها را از مخلّد بودن در نار جهنم نجات می دهد

Ayatollah Bahjat when he was asked whether we could pray for the unbelievers and if this would be okay, he (may he rest in peace) replied:

Prayer (Du'a = دعا) for the unbelievers will save them from remaining in the eternal fire of Hell forever.

http://jamnews.ir/detail/news/227780

...And then enter al-Jahnah?

What about those who were ignorant?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you all very, very much for sharing those ahadeeth, ayat and sayings with us, it really convinced me that I can and should pray for the deceased loved ones who died outside of grace of Islam.

As someone said, it cannot hurt them and it may as well ease their stay in barzakh and in the grave.

The hadeeth about them being presented with our prayers as gifts to them in the grave made me cry - when I think of my parents being alone and full of pain and fear in the squeezing grave, it truly  breaks my heart. They were misled in this life, and have lost the hope of the eternal bliss, but the least I can do is to pray for them, and the thought of them knowing about it and being glad about it is a very comforting one.

Kindest regards,

Amina

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you all very, very much for sharing those ahadeeth, ayat and sayings with us, it really convinced me that I can and should pray for the deceased loved ones who died outside of grace of Islam.

As someone said, it cannot hurt them and it may as well ease their stay in barzakh and in the grave.

The hadeeth about them being presented with our prayers as gifts to them in the grave made me cry - when I think of my parents being alone and full of pain and fear in the squeezing grave, it truly  breaks my heart. They were misled in this life, and have lost the hope of the eternal bliss, but the least I can do is to pray for them, and the thought of them knowing about it and being glad about it is a very comforting one.

Kindest regards,

Amina

Actually, sister, you parents may be in a condition of being "dead" in the grave. I advise you to read this:

In his book Awael al-Maqalat, Shaykh Mufid sorts out human individuals based on their beliefs and deeds into four groups:

1. Pious believers;

2. Disbelieving, stubborn and grudging sinners;

3. Believers who have committed major sins and not done Tawbah. They are people who have not committed sins out of grudge and stubbornness; rather they have committed sins on account of their being under the influence of their whims and carnal desires.

4. Those who lack the luminous inner vision and precise religious understanding (Mustaz'afin) irrespective of whether they are apparent believers or unbelievers.

Given that Shaykh Mufid (r.a) had access to religious sources and references, he had reached a decisive conclusion as to the first, second and fourth group. Therefore, he held that the first and second groups have a barzakh life (between death on Earth and resurrection) – albeit one in divine bounty and the other in punishment.

The fourth group of people also does not have a barzakh life according to him but he has not reached a clear and decisive conclusion in regards to the third group. That is why he has given some probabilities and has, with uncertainty, described the third group as 'doubtful'.

You can read an detailed answer here: http://islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa6146

Edited by Ali-F

(bismillah)

(salam)

And I was just so happy to be able to ease their suffering and bring them a little peace and light...

Well, alive or not, mustadhafin or not, I intend to pray for them as much as I can, and keep hoping that that will help them in some way, as we should never lose hope in Allah's te'ala mercy...

(wasalam)

Amina 

Edited by Amina

Does someone know if there is any ruling that explicitly forbids or allows praying for your parents who died as Infidels (or any other deceased person who died as a non-believer)? 

What do you mean by the term "infidels"?

Monotheists are not infidels, whether they are Jews or Christians or whatever else.

Anyone who believes in one God is not an infidel.

Infidels are those who reject the one God.

Can I perform a prayer or tasbeeh or give sadaqa and dedicate the thawab for them?

Of course you can.

Hazrat Ibrahim promised his nonbelieving father that he would pray for him.

thats a question which often goes through my mind. 

People who are not born in a believing family will be judged according to their circumstances.

If you born a non-Muslim, it is not your fault.

No one can be punished for being born a non-Muslim.

Likewise, unless they live up to the faith, Muslims will not get a credit for being born Muslims.

Born muslims cannot understand how glad they could be, when their beloved die they can do all that acts gifting to their death 

Don't worry. God is just.  He loves all His creation. He will never let a sincere person down.

but for the reverts they often feel sad for their family members and dont know what to do.

Everyone can pray for their relatives.  God looks after all of us.

They could not reject what they didn't know.

Indeed

Edited by baqar

A wr wb

Praying for maghfirat is usually and logically done for a sinner.But parents if they sin should not be called infidels.Infidel means never recited kalma e shahadat even once.But if they read and wrre not that religious,they shouldd n't be called kafir.

A wr wb

Praying for maghfirat is usually and logically done for a sinner.But parents if they sin should not be called infidels.Infidel means never recited kalma e shahadat even once.But if they read and wrre not that religious,they shouldd n't be called kafir.

(bismillah)

(salam) brothers,

I called my parents infidels, because they were just that - communists who rejected the very existence of God.

My father died as such, and my mother changed towards the end of her life and started visiting Christian monasteries, because we are originally Orthodox Christians.

I cannot say how sincere her faith was, I know her as a huge skeptic for all my life, because in my old country, after the fall of communism in the eastern Europe, faith suddenly became mixed with extreme nationalism, the way you define yourself against those of different faith and different nationality. It is, however, not for me to judge about her faith, I just wanted to know if I am allowed to pray for them.

And no, none of them ever said the Shahada, they didn't know what it was, they were originally orthodox Christians, and even if they did know it, they would rather die than to say it, there is a widespread Islamophobia there and people hate Islam passionately and blame it for all the troubles in the world.

My old country was under Ottoman empire for 500 years, it was unimaginable brutal and savage, and the legacy of that are the wars and conflicts that we now have on Balkan peninsula, and the very aggressive and intense hatred for Islam and Muslims...

Kindest regards,

Amina

Edited by Amina

Amina i think you should talk to someone more knowledge, when it comes to this situation.

I only know one verse which is 9:113

which kinda is what you asking for, i think.

But as i said , talk to someonewith much knowledge, so u doesnt sin.if it would be a sin.