Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Ali A.s/ Any Imam Recite 3Rd Shahada In Adhan?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

The issue of the third shahada being mentioned in the athan and iqama is not a black and white one, as some accept it while others reject it.There are a few Ahadith from the imams where the third shahada is mentioned by them, however, most of them, if not all are Dhaif.

Edited by Al-Najashi

The issue of the third shahada being mentioned in the athan and iqama is not a black and white one, as some accept it while others reject it.There are a few Ahadith from the imams where the third shahada is mentioned by them, however, most of them, if not all are Dhaif.

So to confirm, there isn't a single authentic hadith where our Imams advocated or recited the third Shahadah in Adhan?

• Advanced Member

So to confirm, there isn't a single authentic hadith where our Imams advocated or recited the third Shahadah in Adhan?

No there isn't one and I believe that it's best to avoid saying it in the first place, especially when taking into account that our early scholars harshly condemned it.

Nader discusses it here: http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/3rd-testimony-in-adhaan-and-iqaamah.html

No there isn't one and I believe that it's best to avoid saying it in the first place, especially when taking into account that our early scholars harshly condemned it.

Nader discusses it here: http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/3rd-testimony-in-adhaan-and-iqaamah.html

If reports are indeed true, for my whole life since learning the Adhan at my mosque classes, i have been doing something the Imams a.s never taught or preached, and something some of our most revered classical scholars condemened.

Why are our marajah not doing anything about this?

I was going to say our brothers are reciting pure Adhan but i remembered they have also (though they may not admitt) added and removed parts to the Adhan since the time of the second Caliph.

Edited by Logical Islamic

Ayatullah Fadlullah - if i am correct- in the PDF in my signature doesn't say it's harram to add it, but does not seem to say it is a recommendation to be added into Adhan.

The most slated marajah in shia-chat is the one who probably was closest in what he preached to what the ahlulbayt a.s taught.

The Irony. But Allah watches and see's all. A few handful of haters are not even dust.

I have read it is unlawful to consider it part of the adhan but it is permissible and can be said with the niyat of qurbat or to express ones beliefs. According to ayatollah sistani.

It is basically recited in every single Shia mosque in every single Adhan almost 99.9% of the time though. Why are we adding extra parts to the Adhan?

• Veteran Member

(salam)

It isn't obligatory, anyone who claims it is is in the wrong. But it is permissible. Is it Mustahab? I do not know, let someone answer that. Is it Makrooh? I never heard it was. There is no harm in adding it, nor is there any harm in not reciting it. Why are you so mad about it? No one said it is obligatory, it is just a symbol that we are Muwaleen of Amir Al Mo'imineen (a.s). 

(salam)

It isn't obligatory, anyone who claims it is is in the wrong. But it is permissible. Is it Mustahab? I do not know, let someone answer that. Is it Makrooh? I never heard it was. There is no harm in adding it, nor is there any harm in not reciting it. Why are you so mad about it? No one said it is obligatory, it is just a symbol that we are Muwaleen of Amir Al Mo'imineen (a.s). 

It isn't obligatory but it is recited in almost every single shia mosque at almost every single prayer.

The harm is that the Imams a.s never taught us to add it, nor is there any evidence they recited it themselves.

Therefore the purest Adhan is that which the Imams a.s recited and instructed us to follow, and not our additions.

Why not , before the Adhan say, I BELIEVE ALI IS THE SUCCESOR OF MUHAMMED PBUH AND ALIYUN WALIYULLAH.

And then proceed to not add extra things our Imams a.s never taught or recommended in the actual adhan?

I learned the Adhan over a decade as a child and not once was i told if you believe that Aliyun Waiyullah is a wajib part of the Adhan your Adhan is batil and it is a Bidah. I and many probably recite it thinking it is an integral and neccesarry part of Adhan.

In every book used to teach, it needs to be in bold red that our Imams a.s never recited nor taught it - according to evidence, and reciting it with a wajib intention makes your Adhan Batil.

• Advanced Member

<<Why not , before the Adhan say, I BELIEVE ALI IS THE SUCCESOR OF MUHAMMED PBUH AND ALIYUN WALIYULLAH.>>

Fine u do it like that doesn't make a difference. Why are u making it such a big of an issue, don't say it at all won't make a difference. We are proud followers of the imams(as) and we like to proclaim it.

<<Why not , before the Adhan say, I BELIEVE ALI IS THE SUCCESOR OF MUHAMMED PBUH AND ALIYUN WALIYULLAH.>>

Fine u do it like that doesn't make a difference. Why are u making it such a big of an issue, don't say it at all won't make a difference. We are proud followers of the imams(as) and we like to proclaim it.

Yes ofcourse as am i. But the issue is, we should not be adding to the Adhan or removing from it. Even our classical scholars, our greatest classical scholars were even more proud shia's, but never added it to their Adhan. Our Imams never told us to add it.

We can proclaim our love of Ali a.s in ways that do not mean we add things the Imams never told us to add.

If we do keep this third shahadah in the Adhan, then it is only fair in every book teaching children to recite it, this needs to be added:

In every book used to teach, it needs to be in bold red that our Imams a.s never recited nor taught it - according to evidence, and reciting it with a wajib intention makes your Adhan Batil.

• Advanced Member

Yep. All ayatollahs have said that. At least the ones I know. That considering it wajib is not bidah. When we follow someone we read their ruling and find it out.

My point is if we call our azan like Sunnis it won't be very convenient for us then. We have only one shia azaan and to tell it apart from other azaan is this bit.

Yep. All ayatollahs have said that. At least the ones I know. That considering it wajib is not bidah. When we follow someone we read their ruling and find it out.

My point is if we call our azan like Sunnis it won't be very convenient for us then. We have only one shia azaan and to tell it apart from other azaan is this bit.

The Imams a.s and our classical greatest scholars were fine with reciting the Adhn as the prophet pbuh did though, right?

Yes they were, excluding the fact they were living in life threatening situation.

The Imams a.s not only didn't recite the third Shahadah in Adhan, they never stated it should be in adhan or should be a mustahab part of it - there are no authentic hadiths.

We could really justify and insert any belief we have and simply say, we don't have a word of this but we'll do it because we'll assume our Imams a.s did Taqqiyah, do you see where i'm coming from brother?

• Advanced Member

i don't give third testimony is adhan and aqamah,because my Marja said it is not a part of adhan,where as Imam khomenei also said that the third testimony is not a part of it but with the intention of qurb,one can read it