Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can A Woman Be A Marja?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

...The question was about the female mujtahid becoming a marja’. The main argument that those who support the prohibition of a woman becoming a marja’ use is Islamic traditions prohibiting women from becoming judges. Traditions also state that the judge must be a rajul (male). Since judgment is one of the duties of a marja’, a woman is barred from that position....

full article: http://www.14publications.com/question-and-answer/can-a-woman-be-a-marja/

• Moderators

I am just an old guy with S.P.D. :wacko:

What is S.P.D.?

As I understand it, we are to follow the most knowledgeable. If a woman happens to be more knowledgeable than any man, what then?

Leading prayers would be problematic. In any event, a woman can be a marja to other women if not to men.

• Veteran Member

Honestly, I think an important point needs to be mentioned, which is that it is almost statistically impossible for a woman to ever be the a3lem. There is no academic field in which women are the most knowledgeable - from physics to sociology to Islamic studies. Why should fiqh be any different? If you look into the cognitive science behind this, the further you deviate from the mean, the more percentage are occupied by men. Meaning the very extremes on the IQ bellcurve are mostly dominated by men. The smartest and the dumbest people on the planet will always be men, hence a woman will never be the a3lem simply because there will always be a man more intelligent than her who studied Islam. Furthermore the reason why men dominate both extremes of the bellcurve is based on biology (I.e. the differences in brain structures of men and women), it is not something that can be fixed by socialization.

This is not taking into account the fact that men don't have childbearing responsibilities which gives them +10 years worth of study in their prime years. Also not taking into account the fact that men outnumber women in Islamic studies by a massive margin (i don't know the exact ratio, but I would wager it's at least 10:1) which means that, all other things being equal, we would expect the most knowledgeable person to be man.

If you take all of these facts combined together, the chances of a woman ever being the most knowledgeable are negligible such that this shouldn't be an issue, even if we ignored the fiqh of a woman being a judge, etc.

Edited by Ayuoobi
  • Moderators

@ Ayuoobi:

I acknowledge that there are problems with women being marja, but your claim about extremes belonging exclusively to men is without basis. Women are as likely as men to be geniuses or morons. However, geniuses seldom attain as high a level as people with slightly above average intelligence who strive much more than average.

• Veteran Member

There have been female Ayatullahs throughout history. Have we forgotten the women of Allama Hilli's family?

Have you heard of Nosrat Amin ? Zohra Sefati ? Aatieh Hassani ? (She had the title of Lady Ayatullah in fact)

Edited by Akbar673
  • Advanced Member

Salam Ayoobi,

Woman have better grades then men in university and they benefited more from studing. A woman can be a judge and can be marj3a. She doesnt need to lead prayers,it's not like our beloved marj3a (ha) are leading prayers only a daily basis,we heardly see some of them..

You can be pregent and you can still finish your studies. And you can have a child a still read. You do know that the man has to look after the child too. Some woman can control their emotions when their at work and they can distinguish between right and wrong. Woman are overtaking mens job too, that shows we can even beat you at your own fields.

She can be a marj3a for woman and in that way she can lead the salah for us.