Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
IQRA07

Perform Salah Twice ?

Rate this topic

So I have a female Muslim friend who is a white American. She told me that she performs salah TWICE  each time. The first time in Arabic in order to fulfill the requirements of fiqh and the second time in English because Arabic is a second/foreign language to her. She says it is hard to focus on the MEANING of what she is doing when she performs salah in Arabic. Therefore she does it a second time in English so that she knows all that shen is saying. She says it has to do with her niyah. She wants to feel connected to Allah and to the word she is saying. She says it has more meaning for her when she does it the second time .

Does anyone have an opinion on this ? I respect her INTENTIONS but is there any ruling about it ?

Instead of performing each salah twice for the sake of understanding the purpose of the words, why not learn the meanings of the arabic words & recite them slowly & clearly? I guess they are not that difficult to understand. The act of performing Salah in another language is not permissible as per my knowledge.

The only ruling I know is that the arabic is the only one accepted but it's fine if she feels better with the english, I mean the point of prayer is to grow spiritually and praise Allah swt, but she can save herself sometime if she learns to to know at least what she says in Arabic, it took me a couple months I don't remember exactly to truly know and feel what I would say in arabic and it is not difficult at all, I only feel right to pray in Arabic even though its not my language....... so she can try that and with time she should be able, she just has to keep doing it.

Edited by katyushka

As long as she understands that when she is going through the motions of Salat and reciting the words in english the second time she prays that this is not prayer - ie it is not actual salat and it doesnt count as salat, then there is no fiqh/shariah problem with what she is doing.

The only suggestion I have is that if she is very newly converted- that she becareful not to burn her self out doing this all the time, as then she may start to get tired and consider the whole ordeal burdonsome.

As others suggested - it may be better for her to try learn the meaning of the words outside of prayer and try and focus on those words. This is what over a billion muslims do world wide 90% of whom do not understand arabic.

it is hard to focus on the MEANING of what she is doing when she performs salah in Arabic

(salam)

Al-Shaheed Al-Murtada Al-Mutahari once said, “If you’re focusing on the words and the meanings then when do you pray? Giving your full attention to Allah during prayers brings the presence of all the meanings of what you are saying during the prayer.”

(wasalam)

(salam)

Al-Shaheed Al-Murtada Al-Mutahari once said, “If you’re focusing on the words and the meanings then when do you pray? Giving your full attention to Allah during prayers brings the presence of all the meanings of what you are saying during the prayer.”

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)  brother,

I do not wish to open a new topic or get out of line with this one, but I have read the same idea in different threads and I do not fully understand it. 

So can you shortly explain how do you "not focus on what you are saying in prayer but on Allah te'ala Himself", or can you kindly post a link of an article where there is an explanation on how exactly we are to do it?

Thank you in advance  (wasalam)

Amina

Salaat has to be in Arabic

It's recommended to learn along with translation but offer in Arabic.

Second salaat in translation will be void and serves no purpose except learning meaning

But personally to me its like going on journey of trade but not trade, just to understand the journey, everytime you return from one.