Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Talaghani

Khamenei Controls Massive Financial Empire

Rate this topic

What do you guys think about this ?

Even if he controls 1billion dollars, is this right ?

Part 1: A Reuters investigation details a key to the supreme leader’s power: a little-known organization created to help the poor that morphed into a business juggernaut worth tens of billions of dollars.

The 82-year-old Iranian woman keeps the documents that upended her life in an old suitcase near her bed. She removes them carefully and peers at the tiny Persian script.

There's the court order authorizing the takeover of her children's three Tehran apartments in a multi-story building the family had owned for years. There's the letter announcing the sale of one of the units. And there's the notice demanding she pay rent on her own apartment on the top floor.

Pari Vahdat-e-Hagh ultimately lost her property. It was taken by an organization that is controlled by the most powerful man in Iran: Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. She now lives alone in a cramped, three-room apartment in Europe, thousands of miles from Tehran.

The Persian name of the organization that hounded her for years is "Setad Ejraiye Farmane Hazrate Emam" – Headquarters for Executing the Order of the Imam. The name refers to an edict signed by the Islamic Republic's first leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, shortly before his death in 1989. His order spawned a new entity to manage and sell properties abandoned in the chaotic years after the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Setad has become one of the most powerful organizations in Iran, though many Iranians, and the wider world, know very little about it. In the past six years, it has morphed into a business juggernaut that now holds stakes in nearly every sector of Iranian industry, including finance, oil, telecommunications, the production of birth-control pills and even ostrich farming.

The organization's total worth is difficult to pinpoint because of the secrecy of its accounts. But Setad's holdings of real estate, corporate stakes and other assets total about $95 billion, Reuters has calculated. That estimate is based on an analysis of statements by Setad officials, data from the Tehran Stock Exchange and company websites, and information from the U.S. Treasury Department.

Just one person controls that economic empire – Khamenei. As Iran's top cleric, he has the final say on all governmental matters. His purview includes his nation's controversial nuclear program, which was the subject of intense negotiations between Iranian and international diplomats in Geneva that ended Sunday without an agreement. It is Khamenei who will set Iran's course in the nuclear talks and other recent efforts by the new president, Hassan Rouhani, to improve relations with Washington.

The supreme leader's acolytes praise his spartan lifestyle, and point to his modest wardrobe and a threadbare carpet in his Tehran home. Reuters found no evidence that Khamenei is tapping Setad to enrich himself.

But Setad has empowered him. Through Setad, Khamenei has at his disposal financial resources whose value rivals the holdings of the shah, the Western-backed monarch who was overthrown in 1979.

How Setad came into those assets also mirrors how the deposed monarchy obtained much of its fortune - by confiscating real estate. A six-month Reuters investigation has found that Setad built its empire on the systematic seizure of thousands of properties belonging to ordinary Iranians: members of religious minorities like Vahdat-e-Hagh, who is Baha'i, as well as Shi'ite Muslims, business people and Iranians living abroad.

Setad has amassed a giant portfolio of real estate by claiming in Iranian courts, sometimes falsely, that the properties are abandoned. The organization now holds a court-ordered monopoly on taking property in the name of the supreme leader, and regularly sells the seized properties at auction or seeks to extract payments from the original owners.

The supreme leader also oversaw the creation of a body of legal rulings and executive orders that enabled and safeguarded Setad's asset acquisitions. "No supervisory organization can question its property," said Naghi Mahmoudi, an Iranian lawyer who left Iran in 2010 and now lives in Germany.

Khamenei's grip on Iran's politics and its military forces has been apparent for years. The investigation into Setad shows that there is a third dimension to his power: economic might. The revenue stream generated by Setad helps explain why Khamenei has not only held on for 24 years but also in some ways has more control than even his revered predecessor. Setad gives him the financial means to operate independently of parliament and the national budget, insulating him from Iran's messy factional infighting.

setad_org.png

Washington has acknowledged Setad's importance. In June, the Treasury Department imposed sanctions on Setad and some of its corporate holdings, calling the organization "a massive network of front companies hiding assets on behalf of … Iran's leadership." The companies generate billions of dollars in revenue a year, the department stated, but it did not offer a detailed accounting.

The Iranian president's office and the foreign ministry didn't respond to requests for comment. Iran's embassy in the United Arab Emirates issued a statement calling Reuters' findings "scattered and disparate" and said that "none has any basis." It didn't elaborate.

Setad's director general of public relations, Hamid Vaezi, said by email in response to a detailed description of this series that the information presented is "far from realities and is not correct." He didn't go into specifics.

In a subsequent message, he said Setad disputes the Treasury's allegations and is "in the process of retaining U.S. counsel to address this matter." He added: "This communication puts you on notice that any action by your organization could prejudice our dispute in the United States and harm our position for which we hold you responsible."

When Khomeini, the first supreme leader, set in motion the creation of Setad, it was only supposed to manage and sell properties "without owners" and direct much of the proceeds to charity. Setad was to use the funds to assist war veterans, war widows "and the downtrodden." According to one of its co-founders, Setad was to operate for no more than two years.

Setad has built schools, roads and health clinics, and provided electricity and water in rural and impoverished areas. It has assisted entrepreneurs in development projects. But philanthropy is just a small part of Setad's overall operations.

Under Khamenei's control, Setad began acquiring property for itself, and kept much of the funds rather than simply redistributing them. With those revenues, the organization also helps to fund the ultimate seat of power in Iran, the Beite Rahbar, or Leader's House, according to a former Setad employee and other people familiar with the matter. The first supreme leader, Khomeini, had a small staff. To run the country today, Khamenei employs about 500 people in his administrative offices, many recruited from the military and security services.

A complete picture of Setad's spending and income isn't possible. Its books are off limits even to Iran's legislative branch. In 2008, the Iranian Parliament voted to prohibit itself from monitoring organizations that the supreme leader controls, except with his permission.

But Reuters has put together the fullest account yet of the organization's holdings. They include:

Might be worth reminding ourselves that the people publishing this are Reuters, founded by Julius Reuter, he of the infamous Reuter concession:

In 1872, Nasir al-Din Shah negotiated a concession with Baron Julius de Reuter, a British citizen, granting him control over Persian roads, telegraphs, mills, factories, extraction of resources, and other public works in exchange for a stipulated sum for 5 years and 60% of all the net revenue for 20 years.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Protest 

Might be worth reminding ourselves that the people publishing this are Reuters, founded by Julius Reuter, he of the infamous Reuter concession:

Does what the founding Reuter did in 1872 in Iran still matter in the political landscape of 2014?

Does what the founding Reuter did in 1872 in Iran still matter in the political landscape of 2014?

The point I believe Haji was trying to make is that this smells of sour grapes

Foreign capitalists owned Iran before the revolution, so of course it suits them well to talk about some secret, shadowy state organization within Iran that owns everything.

Ultimately, it's a joke. If there is even a slither of truth to any of this, it is irrelevant for almost every Iranian. Whereas the American populace being completely at the mercy of bankers is an evident reality and affects the lives of most Americans.

The point I believe Haji was trying to make is that this smells of sour grapes

Foreign capitalists owned Iran before the revolution, so of course it suits them well to talk about some secret, shadowy state organization within Iran that owns everything.

Ultimately, it's a joke. If there is even a slither of truth to any of this, it is irrelevant for almost every Iranian. Whereas the American populace being completely at the mercy of bankers is an evident reality and affects the lives of most Americans.

The reports of a Khamenei-ian secret empire has been around for long but something they can't prove. So they gossip about it and all things Iranian as they have been doing since '79. So far so good but I'm only wondering if a news agency today has the same motives and interests as the imperialists and their enablers had in the mid-to-late nineteenth century and if it's a reasonable counterargument to make.

Yes because it could be reasonably argued that the difference between Iran today and the Arab states of the Persian Gulf, is that while Iranians have complete say as to what happens to their oil wealth, the Arabs don't.

And that is what irks Reuters.

The following academic paper is quite informative in terms of the economic history of Iran during the years of colonial exploitation, certainly it is possible to see modern parallels:

http://www.thebhc.org/publications/BEHprint/v016/p0069-p0082.pdf

I'm only wondering if a news agency today has the same motives and interests as the imperialists and their enablers had in the mid-to-late nineteenth century and if it's a reasonable counterargument to make.

Good observation.

I think the point worth remembering is that Reuters reflects the interests of its advertisers, subscribers and investors and yes those people do have a financial interest in Iranian regime change. 

It's the same principle that explains why Vogue and Cosmopolitan etc. will take a very particular line when it comes to social issues and that is because ultimately they need to project the interests of the consumer goods firms without whose advertising revenues they'd be bust.

Hello,

I am sure the Assembly of Experts have investigated this thoroughly.  And, if they had found any wrongdoing they would have replaced Ayatollah Khamenei.  :rolleyes:

Repenter, everywhere I go you are posting pictures of Khamenei's shoes.  This really does not support your view.  Have you ever seen how Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and many other rich and powerful people dress?

Brother Jackson, your deny and divert tactics are oh so transparent.  You need to work on that Brother.  We might all start thinking you work for PressTV or a similar agency. 

And, I am an American.  I would really like to know how I am at the mercy of bankers.  Bankers have helped me purchase three homes.  I made money on the sale of two and I live in the other.  Also, bankers loaned the money that allowed me to start a profitable business.  The business is now debt free.  I could have done none of these things without access to money with reasonable terms.  This was supplied by bankers.  You are correct, banking does effect the lives of most Americans.  But, not in the way your propaganda depicts. 

All the Best,

David

Edited by David66

Hello,

I am sure the Assembly of Experts have investigated this thoroughly.  And, if they had found any wrongdoing they would have replaced Ayatollah Khamenei.  :rolleyes:

Repenter, everywhere I go you are posting pictures of Khamenei's shoes.  This really does not support your view.  Have you ever seen how Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and many other rich and powerful people dress?

Brother Jackson, your deny and divert tactics are oh so transparent.  You need to work on that Brother.  We might all start thinking you work for PressTV or a similar agency. 

And, I am an American.  I would really like to know how I am at the mercy of bankers.  Bankers have helped me purchase three homes.  I made money on the sale of two and I live in the other.  Also, bankers loaned the money that allowed me to start a profitable business.  The business is now debt free.  I could have done none of these things without access to money with reasonable terms.  This was supplied by bankers.  You are correct, banking does effect the lives of most Americans.  But, not in the way your propaganda depicts. 

All the Best,

David

No thank you! I prefer to stay in cold Canada than moving to the US, where health and education costs tons of money.

Emir of Qatar also wears sandals on official trips.

And, I am an American.  I would really like to know how I am at the mercy of bankers.  

The amount money that you make, the bills that you pay including your mortgage, car payments etc, the value of your house, and everything that involves money is determined and set by Feds and people in Feds that you have not elected. You do not know them. Its done through interest rates set by Feds. And they are not really known for their charity. Its a sort of control that even Stalin could not dream of. You might have been one of the lucky few that benefited from banks and their rabbit in the hat tricks. But there is a sizeable majority who have lost their entire livelihoods to banks- take the 2008 crisis as a very evident example. The value of money is less than it was 10 years ago and 10 years ago was less than 20 years ago and etc. Where do you think it all went? The money that is printed, is it being done so with Congressional oversight or prescription? Who is accountable for this massive deflation of value? Your congressman? your senator? your president? If not then why waste time and elect a toothless govt? Why not elect Feds chairman instead and hold them accountable? Isnt democracy about accountability? 

Hello,

All the Best,

David

Hello ,

The corporation known as the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is a registered private entity and so is the FEDERAL RESERVE BANK.

When you borrowed from the bank to purchase your home , the bank created money from thin air , by creating digits into your account.

than they charge you interest and fees for this fake transaction.

after paying back the allege principal and interest on the fake loans , you are sitting happy thinking the house is yours.

in reality my dear friend , you only own the piece of paper call the certificate of title.

if you check all your documents , you will see that the alleged owner 's name is written like this 

DAVID SMITH , SMITH David , David SMITH or Mr David Smith .

unfortunately  none of these entities relate to you as the living human being , they are entities created by the STATE in which your live birth was registered .

So who owns these names , which in turn owns the house .

The central bankers own your name , which makes them the owners of your house , your business and everything else you think you own .

Because the USA sold you out at birth , because you were the only collateral the central banks accepted in order to lend them money.

From a speech in Congress in The Bankruptcy of The United States United States Congressional Record, March 17, 1993 Vol. 33, page H-1303. Speaker-Rep. James Traficant, Jr. (Ohio) addressing the House:

"Prior to 1913, most Americans owned clear, allodial title to property, free and clear of any liens or mortgages until the Federal Reserve Act (1913) "Hypothecated" all property within the federal United States to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve - in which the Trustees (stockholders) held legal title. The U.S. citizen (tenant, franchisee) was registered as a "beneficiary" of the trust via his/her birth certificate. In 1933, the federal United States hypothecated all of the present and future properties, assets and labor of their "subjects," the 14th Amendment U.S. citizen, to the Federal Reserve System.

All the best 

:Sami II

Edited by :Sami II

Hello,

All the Best,

David

I linked you the picture once, how is that everywhere you go?

And yes i've met bill gates.

Question is, what supports your case that Ayatollah Khamenei is rich? Picture of his car? His fancy Armani suits? His private jet we see him fly in? Maybe he wears some really expensive jewelry? This claim is so absurd that western politicians and media have given up trying to make a case out of it, and here we have you trying to convince us that he is. You are out of your league. 

I linked you the picture once, how is that everywhere you go?

And yes i've met bill gates.

Question is, what supports your case that Ayatollah Khamenei is rich? Picture of his car? His fancy Armani suits? His private jet we see him fly in? Maybe he wears some really expensive jewelry? This claim is so absurd that western politicians and media have given up trying to make a case out of it, and here we have you trying to convince us that he is. You are out of your league.

Well obviously I don't believe in any report from the U.S Government and Reuters and the rest of the propaganda machines....

However, let us assume he does have secret money and a secret society empire etc... why would he give away himself by buying cars and private jets? Wouldn't that give away the "secret plan"?

This logic I didn't like brother.

Edited by DaBeast313

^ What's the point of having billions of dollars in secret money when he lives in an ordinary house, wears very simple clothes, and even bars his children from having cars???

It's counter-intuitive.

Read my comment again.

Hello,

All the Best,

David

Bill Gates lives in a 10 million dollar house on a private Island in Washington State

He owns many cars, some of which are high end. 

etc, etc

Warren Buffet has his own private jet, amoung many other expensive posessions and 

property that he owns. 

Everyone who becomes rich buys some high end 'toys'. There is no exception to this

that I have ever heard of. OK, so they don't spend much money on cloths, but so what, 

compared to the millions they spend on other personal items. 

So if you have any evidence that Sayid Khameni(ha) has any of these things, big fancy house, 

luxury cars, jets, jewelry, etc. then please bring the evidence. If not, and the only source is Reuters

and U.S Treasury, both famous for fabricating stories when it suits their interest (like the brother mentioned

the female ninja assasins story fabricated recently by Reuters) then we can conclude that there is no basis

for this accusation against Sayid Khameni(ha), If you don't want someone to fabricate a story and accuse you

without evidence, then you shouldn't support it when others fabricate stories. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

I havent read the article, but I have no problems in Ayatollah Khamenei controlling 'a massive financial empire' provided that the wealth isnt being spent on himself / family - and it clearly isn't

^ Another important point

Thanks you brother for bringing it up

Guys... you understand that all of our maraja are technically millionaires, right? The khums money which is entrusted to them, is in their name. This doesn't make them millionaire playboys. This is a public trust, but the allocation of this trust is in their hands.

Hello,

Lets say you are sitting on a park bench enjoying the best tasting ice cream you have ever tasted.  And, people keep coming by and telling you how bad that ice cream taste even though they admit to never trying it.  Would you think, "they must be right" and get up and throw the remainder in the trash?  Or, would you just smile and keep eating the best ice cream you ever tasted?

Wahdat, Sami II :)

And, I could care less what Ayatollah Khamenei's net worth is or what he spends his money on.  I have met rich people both good and bad, and poor people both good and bad.  As with all people whether their bank account is large or small, I hope their monetary gains were obtained in ethical ways. If not, I hope there are consequences.  

All the Best,

David

Hello,

Lets say you are sitting on a park bench enjoying the best tasting ice cream you have ever tasted.  And, people keep coming by and telling you how bad that ice cream taste even though they admit to never trying it.  Would you think, "they must be right" and get up and throw the remainder in the trash?  Or, would you just smile and keep eating the best ice cream you ever tasted?

Wahdat, Sami II :)

And, I could care less what Ayatollah Khamenei's net worth is or what he spends his money on.  I have met rich people both good and bad, and poor people both good and bad.  As with all people whether their bank account is large or small, I hope their monetary gains were obtained in ethical ways. If not, I hope there are consequences.  

All the Best,

David

Hello ,

What flavour is the ice cream ?

Is it organic , non diary , non soy , non GMO , vegan and locally made ?

My favourite is strawberry ice cream from New Zealand .

All the best 

Sami II

Did the 2008 banking crisis not happen where you are?

The fractional reserve banking system can be a source of macroeconomic instability. 

You could even argue that it is profoundly undemocratic, since it gives relatively few decision makers in the private sector the potential to impact the wider economy in a very profound way indeed.

Guys... you understand that all of our maraja are technically millionaires, right? The khums money which is entrusted to them, is in their name. This doesn't make them millionaire playboys. This is a public trust, but the allocation of this trust is in their hands.

and this fact and this fact alone has kept the shia clergy independent and free from foreign influence unlike their sunni counterpart dollar-scholars.

Came across this book today: Britain and Reza Shah: the plunder of Iran 1921-194, Mohammad Gholi, University Press of Florida.

And found this in it, basically shows how the American government was using diplomatic pouches to help the Shah smuggle money out of Iran.

post-6473-0-15436400-1400005002_thumb.jp

Honestly when will we ever learn, these guys lied to us about the WMD's or were equally culpable of being cheer leaders and hence lying.

To even quote their name with a report is to discredit the report before one even begins to read it.