Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
pakistanyar

An Assertive And Beleaguered Minority

Rate this topic

XsmQVsh.png?1

New English Research Coming out specifically on Pakistani Shia History - No way i can buy it though, something to look out for.

Here is one article specifically about Pakistani Shia. I made personal copies of this through my library so you will not find PDF anywhere. Andreas Rieck gives very good of early TNFJ history.

Iv'e only come across two such articles specifically on Pakistani Shias. Very little English material.

The Struggle for Equal Rights As A Minority Shia Communal Orginization in Pakistan 1948-1968 Andreas Rieck

I read the book description a few months ago and found it to be spot on. I am sure this book is going to fill the big gap in the market with respect to full-length works dedicated to the history and struggles of Shias in Pakistan.

What I don't understand is the price at which the book will be sold. About USD 70? Why, is there no demand in the market for detailed info about the Shias and especially that of Pakistan given how much negative spotlight that country gets in the Western press?

I really want to read the book but I will really have to sacrifice a good chunk of my book-buying budget towards acquiring just this one. Since no library here in this country will stock it, I don't even have the option of borrowing it from someplace, unless a pirated version appears on the web sometimes in the future, which would be such a shame as it's akin to washing down the labours of the researchers who put so much time and effort into compiling this book.

I hope the prices will come down by the time of second edition. Hmmm..

Thanks for the Rieck paper. It's unique and insightful since the early struggles of Shias in the new Pakistan are often overlooked, so much so that most books will start talking abotu the Shias only after the Zia coup of 1977. Peple really don't know that Shias had been under pressure ab initio. See, for instance, the Thehri massacre that took place 1963. LOOK UP

Despite India's massive problems, including those of caste and creed, it appears the 30-40 million Shias in India are 100 times better off than 70-80 million Shias of Pakistan. 

Over the centuries, Hindu poets (and at least one Sikh) have even extended  their homage to our Holy Prophet and Imams in their beautiful poetry.

Even though Urdu has been relegated to the back seat, Hindu poets continue to pour out their love for Imam Husain. 

All over the country, some Hindus - perhaps not many, but certainly a few anyway - take out their tazias every year.

In the city of Jaunpur (U.P.), there is even a Hindu anjuman and you can see Hindu youth reciting nohas and doing matam.

But I am not sure what the Salafis of India have up their sleeves. 

Despite India's massive problems, including those of caste and creed, it appears the 30-40 million Shias in India are 100 times better off than 70-80 million Shias of Pakistan. 

Over the centuries, Hindu poets (and at least one Sikh) have even extended  their homage to our Holy Prophet and Imams in their beautiful poetry.

Even though Urdu has been relegated to the back seat, Hindu poets continue to pour out their love for Imam Husain. 

All over the country, some Hindus - perhaps not many, but certainly a few anyway - take out their tazias every year.

In the city of Jaunpur (U.P.), there is even a Hindu anjuman and you can see Hindu youth reciting nohas and doing matam.

But I am not sure what the Salafis of India have up their sleeves. 

There is no gainsaying that India is far safer for Shias compared to Pakistan. The latter by the nature of its birth was at risk of becoming a hardline Sunni country right from the beginning, and with time it went down that road with the result that now not only non-Muslim minorities are in danger but non-Sunni minorities also live in perpetual fear of the fanatics.

It is the same with every majority Sunni country; the post-colonial Sunni Islam has lost its sanity and I don't see a point of return for them. Wherever they are in majority you'll see them targeting and persecuting minorities, non-Sunni Muslims and non-Muslims alike

There is a Hindu group in my hometown that takes out taazia on Ashura. These Hindus and their forefathers have been doing this since many decades before the partition of India.

There are more Hindus in Sindh who are under the influence of Shia rituals and practices and who also take out processions and pay homage to the Ahl-e-bait with speeches, nauhas and matamdari. If you know Urdu, take a look at this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/multimedia/2009/12/091226_hindu_azaadar.shtml?s

Edited by Marbles

Yeah, over here in Pak we've got all sorts of poetic tributes coming out of our ears, so to speak.

More importantly, what we all lack, we the Shia living outside Iran, is a unifying platform and a guiding council that can change our absolute or ineffective inaction and so to turn it into the much needed constructive and helpful quantum of work for the benefit of the Shia and allied society.

What I don't understand is the price at which the book will be sold. About USD 70? Why, is there no demand in the market for detailed info about the Shias and especially that of Pakistan given how much negative spotlight that country gets in the Western press?

I'm guessing this is this is his thesis publishing company/organization putting this out. Maybe if a private Shia owned publishing company tries to get in touch with this guy and establish some sort of incentive for each sold, we could potentially have an affordable price.

I tried searching for this guy online, didn't come across much.

I'll try to see If we can get something done here.

Edited by pakistanyar