Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
El-shia

Child Marraige Law In Iraq.

Rate this topic

I have been browsing around and the past month  articles about ''Iraqs new child marraige law'' constantly pop up , claiming causing conteversy and alike in Iraq.

Yet it sounds exteremely fake ....from what I know about Iraq, its politics and situation, also mind that I only found these articles from western news agencies so far, and from the Iraqi side I dont hear or see a thing about this.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/20/iraq-child-marriage-bill-human-rights

Anyhow what does everyone here think about this?

Edited by El-shia

It's utter rubbish. In a nutshell, people in Iraq are trying to establish a Ja'fari court system for personal matters, that people can opt to go to instead of the existing court systems. Anti-Islamic parties jumped on this, and started all of this child marriage malarky to stir up controversy. 

It's utter rubbish. In a nutshell, people in Iraq are trying to establish a Ja'fari court system for personal matters, that people can opt to go to instead of the existing court systems. Anti-Islamic parties jumped on this, and started all of this child marriage malarky to stir up controversy. 

How can you say such thing about your own government? 

I see , that is an essential fact that is often omitted it changes the whole news message. 

@Ali-F It is important to stay critical of your goverment, espechially in a Country like Iraq that was opressed for years , its a freedom that people rarely ever had.

To add to Wizdom's post, the issue is essentially a conflict between the secular and Islamic parties but the media is misrepresenting the issue and going so far as to assume that child marriages will be allowed. I haven't heard a single case of a child being married in Iraq.

Cool story.... I doudt any woman that's in the parliment will agree to that law... Mind you 27% of the iraq parliment is woman,yes it might seem like a bit but it sure is higher then uks one (if I remmber correctly)...

Anyways, I dont think the goverment has time for such laws....

Cool story.... I doudt any woman that's in the parliment will agree to that law... Mind you 27% of the iraq parliment is woman,yes it might seem like a bit but it sure is higher then uks one (if I remmber correctly)...

Anyways, I dont think the goverment has time for such laws....

Plenty of female members of parliament agree with and support the law. If you're a Muslim, you support God's laws, and want to live your life in accordance to them - it's that simple.

Plenty of female members of parliament agree with and support the law. If you're a Muslim, you support God's laws, and want to live your life in accordance to them - it's that simple.

What are you talking about? Did you read the articule? How can they agree with a law that legalises material rape too? My comment was about the articule, I dont know what your on about...

You think by writtig this ,"if your muslim", it will make me agree with the law blindely? That doesnt help,nor does questionning a persones faith....

M3salam

What are you talking about? Did you read the articule? How can they agree with a law that legalises material rape too? My comment was about the articule, I dont know what your on about...

You think by writtig this ,"if your muslim", it will make me agree with the law blindely? That doesnt help,nor does questionning a persones faith....

M3salam

No I didn't bother reading it, because I know exactly what the law proposes, and I don't need to read a non-Muslim Westerner's perspective on it. 

No I didn't bother reading it, because I know exactly what the law proposes, and I don't need to read a non-Muslim Westerner's perspective on it.

Salam,

So what does the law propose? Does it really legalize rape & allow for marriage of nine year olds? Is this permitted in jaafari law?

Salam,

So what does the law propose? Does it really legalize rape & allow for marriage of nine year olds? Is this permitted in jaafari law?

Rape and marriage of a 9 year old are two separate things. If the girl does not consent then she does not marry. Nothing is forced. Just because it is different from your own culture does not make it wrong. Only reason child marriage is looked down upon nowadays is because people of that age act like children. whereas awhile back, a person of the same age was not a child but an adult. 

Rape and marriage of a 9 year old are two separate things. If the girl does not consent then she does not marry. Nothing is forced. Just because it is different from your own culture does not make it wrong. Only reason child marriage is looked down upon nowadays is because people of that age act like children. whereas awhile back, a person of the same age was not a child but an adult. 

Well shouldnt that be reason enough? Because the law affects 9 year olds today who know little to nothing about marriage and not the 9 year olds of 900 years ago. no?

I personally cannot allow my 11 year old sister to get married or will be able to tolerate my daughter to marry when she becomes 9.

Because for a 9 year old to get married, she'd need a husband to be able to provide for her. And I dont know too many boys around the same age to be able to provide for they too are still a child. This leaves the field wide open for men 18-80 years old. And anyone in that age range that want to marry a 9 year old are not right in the head for they can find plenty their own age. Religion or God has nothing to do with this case but common sense.

It's worth mentioning that the Marji' who is the primary advocate for these laws is of the opinion that the minimum marital age should be twelve, and not nine.

With regards to marital rape, this is a rather complex subject. It is, of course, Haraam to force your wife with physical force, harming her. However, it is Haraam for her to withhold sex from her husband too.

Salaam,

Even in western nations a couple hundreds of years ago it was very common to marry away ones daughter at young age, but I never heard of the actual marriage ceremony taking place until much later - around 14 - 16 years old at that time was more common.

This kind of marriage law, does it actually permit for a 9 year old girl to become a wife at 9? Or is it legal to commit for a later marriage from 9 on?