Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

What Do You Think About Wearing Shorts?

Rate this topic

Asalamu alaykum wb..

What is your thougts about wearing shorts as a muslim? Because, I used to wear shorts (when I was little), but know I feel it is like "ayeeb" (embarrasing) for myself, because I am muslim.. So, I don't know if I should wear them or not... I would like to your hear thougts, may Allah bless you all..

:)

Doesn't bother me if the shorts are knee length.. and I think thats the ruling for men right? "cover from the navel to the knee"?

All the men in my family wearing long trousers unless we are hiking or going to the beach.. so I suppose choosing shorts over trousers involves setting too. 

This is in Sunni (Malaki, Hanafi, Shafa'ee, Hanbali) Fiqh. 

I found this in another thread you were commenting on: 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235020301-hijab-for-men/

"796. While offering prayers, a man should cover his private parts even if no one is looking at him, and preference is that he should also cover his body from the navel up to the knee."

So it seems some shia marja' make reference to "navel to knee" in respect to modest dress code.... Im yet to find a definitive quranic/hadith referance..   :dry: 

Edited by Django

Well i can say that there are different shorts.

There are really uglyyyy short that many guys in my country wears that is very short n ugly. They only wear it cuze its the short of the month or what you call it.

It dont like those at all, makes me disgustinh,

they look like females.

From a girl's PoV, I really don't see any problem with it, as long as it is within limits of Shari'a. (see your marja's ruling)

Besides, in the Middle East summer it's a must-have, trust me. There's also the matter of social conventions that you have to see acc. to where you live, and while wearing shorts outside of gyms/stadiums in some places is considered taboo, in most countries it is very commonplace.

tumblr_m6ou97nZtU1qzmh66o1_500.jpg

I see guys like the one above ag the gym all the time - all ways has me shaking my head (but good for a laugh lol)

Hey!! Some of us have bad leg genetics and cant grow them to elephant legs. I work my legs as much as I work my upper body. At least mine is as defined as I could possibly make them. Its funny cause I think my thighs are growing faster than my legs in size.   :P

I so want to wear shorts in summers. I wore them during last summers but decided not to wear them again. However, shorts are seriously immodest and a piece of clothing that has no hayaa or much protection to offer in that regard, even if knees long (thats not the problem). That bulge is the problem. Shorts can't hide it and are usually made of a material that further defeats the purpose. And when asleep it is liable to become a big problem. I stopped wearing pants for the same reason and switched to shalwar kameez. I don't know how and why other men aren't bothered by such shameless western clothing.

I don't think jurisprudentially there's any problem with wearing shorts so long as they are knee-length but that piece of clothing is rather disgusting and gives out an immature, careless and libertine feel to those who wear it, like overgrown babies..

I never wore shorts, ever, even though I live in an extremely hot clime, as hot as you could imagine out there. I prefer the loose baggy trousers called shalwars when I want to relax and for when I'm not travelling or not going out in official capacity.

Even in gym, a full-length light trouser does the job; we don't need shorts to that end. If you play tennis or football, well you are pretty good with full-length trousers trust me, if you can manage to fight off the stigma. It has just become a routine to wear too short shorts when playing those sports, utterly unneeded and totally unnecessary.

I found this in another thread you were commenting on: 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235020301-hijab-for-men/

"796. While offering prayers, a man should cover his private parts even if no one is looking at him, and preference is that he should also cover his body from the navel up to the knee."

So it seems some shia marja' make reference to "navel to knee" in respect to modest dress code.... Im yet to find a definitive quranic/hadith referance..   :dry: 

I think that the word "preference" does not make it haram? It does not say that it is wajib, you see?

I don't think jurisprudentially there's any problem with wearing shorts so long as they are knee-length but that piece of clothing is rather disgusting and gives out an immature, careless and libertine feel to those who wear it, like overgrown babies..

I never wore shorts, ever, even though I live in an extremely hot clime, as hot as you could imagine out there. I prefer the loose baggy trousers called shalwars when I want to relax and for when I'm not travelling or not going out in official capacity.

Even in gym, a full-length light trouser does the job; we don't need shorts to that end. If you play tennis or football, well you are pretty good with full-length trousers trust me, if you can manage to fight off the stigma. It has just become a routine to wear too short shorts when playing those sports, utterly unneeded and totally unnecessary.

It's all about habit.

In the US it has become habit to wear shorts. People might SAY that wearing shorts is a response to hot weather, but nope. It's worn for the sake of being worn.

I used to live in upstate New York. It's ridiculously cold there. The winters start in October and end in April or even May; I distinctly remember a day when everything -- cars, pavements, trees -- was covered in a 1cm layer of ice. Not snow; ice. It was mid-April. But every now and then, there would be a mysterious warm day at some point during this long winter. If the warm day came in March or April, people would break out the shorts, but because they love the shorts so much, they would continue wearing it even after it became cold again (using their shorts to will the warm weather to victory). Why would anyone do that???

People have been dealing with warm weather for eons. And they haven't been doing it by mutilating their clothes but rather by wearing the appropriate fabrics. Modern dressing habits are farthest removed from weather conditions, and yet people use weather conditions as a way of justifying them. For example, if you go to Yazd, one of the hottest cities in Iran, you will be hard-pressed to find a woman not wearing a chador. But what Westerners don't realize is that the clothing they wear underneath the chador is from very thin, loose, comfortable fabric that is designed to allow airflow. (Pro tip for Westerners: if people have been living in the desert for thousands of years, trust them when they say they know how to dress to deal with the heat.) I wish I could say the same about men's dressing habits; tucked buttoned shirts and trousers are terrible for the Yazd summer but that's the norm nowadays.

I really respect Arabs and Pakis for doing a better job of upholding their traditional clothings. Shalvar kameez and dishdashas all over the place. In Iran, traditional clothing has been relegated to the background. Among Iranians, it is the Kurds, Lors, Baluchis and Arabs who have done the best job of preserving their clothes. I wish there was more.

Edited by baradar_jackson

Hey!! Some of us have bad leg genetics and cant grow them to elephant legs. I work my legs as much as I work my upper body. At least mine is as defined as I could possibly make them. Its funny cause I think my thighs are growing faster than my legs in size.   :P

Mines the opposite, the legs are huge and capable of lifting a lot of weight but my arms are like chicken wings compared to legs. I feel like one of those dinosaurs who have 2 massive legs and 2 pointlessly small arms.

When i was young i used to wear all types of shorts. And i wore them often. The only places i didnt wear them was at the mosque. However there was one ocassion when i was in summer school and i wore shorts. It was friday but i totally forgot that we were going to go to friday prayer when my dad picked me up. So we went to the mosque and i was super embarrassed. I didn't even stay in the main prayer hall, I was praying in one of the rooms next to it and when prayer finished i left as soon as possible. That was about six years ago. Now i only have two pairs of shorts. One for exercise and the other for wearing at home on hot days.

I wear to below the knee. I dont have chicken legs, infact my legs are very well built, BUT i do not feel comfortable wearing something that exposes more than i should be showing.That being said, around the house if I am home doing house duties, I do wear regular shorts. But all the shorts I wear to gym or when I go hang out from time to time, they are long shorts (length that goes to below the knee). I actually dislike the current trend of men wearing tight fitting short shorts. Not only are they uncomfortable to wear, but they are also hard to fit over my quads and ride up at the back, which makes me feel feminine if I wear them.

No excuses, bro :)

For swimming:

probe-insulator-long-pants-unisex-7712m.

For football:Arsenal-with-team-Logo-skinny-tapered-so

For gym: gym-pants-black.jpg

The swimming pants arent very modest. Infact they show off figure and enhance areas which should be covered more so.

Also do you wear a shirt while swimming? Cause if you dont then whats the point in those swim pants?? I wear a shirt to swim. It is more cultural though than religious to do that.

I wear to below the knee. I dont have chicken legs, infact my legs are very well built, BUT i do not feel comfortable wearing something that exposes more than i should be showing.That being said, around the house if I am home doing house duties, I do wear regular shorts. But all the shorts I wear to gym or when I go hang out from time to time, they are long shorts (length that goes to below the knee). I actually dislike the current trend of men wearing tight fitting short shorts. Not only are they uncomfortable to wear, but they are also hard to fit over my quads and ride up at the back, which makes me feel feminine if I wear them.

The swimming pants arent very modest. Infact they show off figure and enhance areas which should be covered more so.

Also do you wear a shirt while swimming? Cause if you dont then whats the point in those swim pants?? I wear a shirt to swim. It is more cultural though than religious to do that.

Man, I haven't swimmed for some time (in fact years). 

Oh man I am in love with wearing shorts, I even wear them when I visit Iran in the summer. I will tell you my whole perspective to wearing shorts on Iranian streets undercover. :shifty:

If you wear shorts in Iran than be ready to have some hezbollahi give you the looks. In 2013 I was in Isfahan and out of the blue I decided to go hiking. I decided not to listen and wore shorts. Tbh nobody cared, except this hezbollahi couple who kept giving me these nasty looks and suddenly out of nowhere they were slowly approaching a uniformed basiji to report me. I got really pissed off and extremely nervous so I ran as fast as I could out of that park in Esfahan just in time back to my relative’s home not far away. If I had got caught who knows what could have happened to me.

Now this was in Isfahan, a conservative city. But in Shiraz nobody gave a c.rap. Generally people in Tehran, Shiraz are liberal while in places like Isfahan, Yazd, Qom, Mashhad are generally traditional and conservative etc... I've been to Isfahan, Tehran and Shiraz and I've felt the most free in Shiraz. It might be because I'm Shirazi myself, but I've always found Shirazis much more liberal than Isfahanis and generally people in Shiraz just don't give a c.rap about a lot of things and are pretty much cool with everything loll.

Tehran has more police presence than other cities in Iran. Tehranis might be more liberal than Isfahanis, but the basijis walking the streets are the same in every city and if there are more of them, as there are in Tehran, then things are actually worse in that city. In Isfahan you'll just see more chadori women and religious basiji sort men get more stares if you're wearing shorts like I was on my hiking trip, that's it.

Edited by Zendegi

(salam)

If I had got caught who knows what could have happened to me.

I wish you did. Would have made your long point-less story a bit more interesting. No one asked for your analysis on how Iranians look at people in public, who wear shorts, while trying to put-down the "Hezbullahi Couple" as if they were the ones acting against what society generally considers appropriate or inappropriate there. You were the one who was acting out of society's norms in public.

Wassalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

Dude... go take a hike with your constant one-dimensional anti-IRI rhetoric. Do you even have anything to say that's anything unrelated to Iran? Only you could hijack a thread (and bump a dead topic) talking about wearing shorts (a thread about shorts for Jesus's sake!) and turn it into something anti-IRI. Sounds like IRI is doing something something right if people like you are going berserk over them and wasting 20 hours of daylight trying to portray them as all-evil.