In the Name of God بسم الله

Arabic Words - Query

• Veteran Member

(salam)

I'm a bit confused with this sentence:

فرد تلك الأخبار الكثيرة أو تخصيصها بهذا الخبر مشكل

I can't understand the first word, is it fa-radda tilka al-akhbar or fard tilka al-akhbar?

Either way, shouldn't it be in a feminine form as it is related to a non-human plural?

(salam)

I'm a bit confused with this sentence:

فرد تلك الأخبار الكثيرة أو تخصيصها بهذا الخبر مشكل

I can't understand the first word, is it fa-radda tilka al-akhbar or fard tilka al-akhbar?

Either way, shouldn't it be in a feminine form as it is related to a non-human plural?

Bismillah

(wasalam)

I think it's a noun: 'so rejecting those large number of reports...'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Veteran Member

(salam)

What does this sentence mean?

او يفقد مالا او يُبطَل  بانواع الابطال من الامراض و غيرها

Thanks

(salam)

What does this sentence mean?

او يفقد مالا او يُبطَل  بانواع الابطال من الامراض و غيرها

Thanks

The word is indefinite and can mean anything. The only way to define it is through a proper contexr

• Veteran Member

The word is indefinite and can mean anything. The only way to define it is through a proper contexr

If you start from around the 2:45 mark, he goes on to it.

ولكن عندما  يتذكر المولى سبحانه و تعالى و يذكر الله و يذكر ان الدنيا فانية و الاخرة باقية حينئذ تهون عليه تلك المصيبة و له الدرجة الكبيرة خصوصا اذا كانت المصيبة كبيرة باي شكل من الاشكال يفقد عزيزا لا سمح الله او يفقد مالا او يُبطَل  بانواع الابطال من الامراض و غيرها فعندما يذكر المولى يكون له ثواب عظيم و يصبر

Sorry, there was another word that it didn't quite get, there is a sentence that starts at 2:20, there is a word kalak ? - it isn't that, that isn't a word (?)

I think this is the sentence:

عندما يبتدئ الانسان بمصيبة يسير في حالة كلك و افتراض عدم ارتياح

thanks

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Veteran Member

I just couldn't hear that, I listened to it several times, but thanks.

You actually did good job writing those sentences just by hearing them with proper spelling. If the speaker was Lebanese or North African I would execuse your inability to distinguish letters properly but he isn't .

ط

Is very heavy and an Arab will pronounce it as heavy as possible

ق

Should not be missed

ك

Is very biscuit like, cracking , crispy

ق

Isn't that crispy , it sounds like ..... ق

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

• Veteran Member

You actually did good job writing those sentences just by hearing them with proper spelling. If the speaker was Lebanese or North African I would execuse your inability to distinguish letters properly but he isn't .

ط

Is very heavy and an Arab will pronounce it as heavy as possible

ق

Should not be missed

ك

Is very biscuit like, cracking , crispy

ق

I remember when I first took lessons, the teacher showed us that exact clip (Abu al-Hool)

يبتلى بأنواع الابتلاء

قلق

He is an Arab, you should trust his pronunciation .

aahhhh, ok, so in the hole clip, he isn't using يبطل

shukran, shukran, I spent ages reading over every translation for بطل and trying to understand in what context he was using it, I thought that it didn't make sense.

Thanks a lot, it is clear now

بارك الله فيك

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member

ق

Should not be missed

ق

Lebanese people don't pronounce the ق the way it should be all the time. Like Nakshawani would be pronounce Na'shawani in Lebanese dialect. Qalamoun would be pronounced alamoun. 6areeqa would be pronounced 6aree'a.

Yemenis pronounce the ق like the letter 'G' all the time. (I think.) Forgive me for any mistakes in this comment, I've probably had too much narjileh argileh (نارجيلة‎) after iftar tonight.

• Veteran Member

السلام عليكم

What is the Prophet (s) saying here?

محمد بن علي، عن أبيه، عن عبد الله بن جعفر الحميري، عن محمد بن عيسى ابن عبيد، والحسن بن ظريف، وعلي بن إسماعيل بن عيسى كلهم، عن حماد بن عيسى، عن حريز بن عبد الله، عن زرارة، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام أن النبي صلى الله عليه وآله لما انصرف من عرفات وسار إلى منى دخل المسجد فاجتمع إليه الناس يسألونه عن ليلة القدر، فقام خطيبا فقال بعد الثناء على الله عز وجل: أما بعد فإنكم سألتموني عن ليلة القدر ولم أطوها عنكم لأني لم أكن بها عالما، اعلموا أيها الناس أنه من ورد عليه شهر رمضان وهو صحيح سوي فصام نهاره وقام وردا من ليله ، وواظب على صلاته وهجر إلى جمعته وغدا إلى عيده فقد أدرك ليلة القدر وفاز بجائزة الرب عز وجل

This is how I understood it, but it doesn't sound right:

Muhammad bin 'Ali, from his father, from 'Abd Allah bin Ja'far al-Humayri, from Muhammad bin 'Isa Ibn 'Abid and al-Hasan bin Zharif and 'Ali bin Isma'il bin 'Isa, all of them, from Hamad bin 'Isa, from 'Harir bin 'Abd Allah, from Zurara, from Abi Ja'far ('a), that the Prophet (s) when he departed from 'Arafat and moved towards Mina, he entered the mosque and the people gathered around him and asked him about the Night of Destiny (Layat al-Qadr), so he rose to address them, and after praising Allah (aj) said: To proceed, so you have indeed asked me about the Night of Destiny, I can't make it easy for you (?) because I'm not knowledgeable about it. And know, O people, that he who comes to the month of Ramadhan, and he is truly correct (?) and fasts in the day and stands in solitary worship at night, and is persistent in his prayer, and migrates to his Jumu'a and tomorrow to his Eid, so he has grasped the Night of Destiny and attained the reward of his Lord (awj)

Thanks

What root is أطو from ?

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Veteran Member

اطوها من الطي و هو جمع الشيء إلى بعضه

In simple Arabic Tai means folding or rolling. Used commonly to describe the act of rolling the carpet

Folding knowledge is hiding it or making it intertwined, sophisticated .

So prophet here is not directly declaring the time of that night. Although he knows it's time. But he told them that if you worked through out the month nights, you will succeed in getting it's benefits.

• Veteran Member

اطوها من الطي و هو جمع الشيء إلى بعضه

In simple Arabic Tai means folding or rolling. Used commonly to describe the act of rolling the carpet

Folding knowledge is hiding it or making it intertwined, sophisticated .

So prophet here is not directly declaring the time of that night. Although he knows it's time. But he told them that if you worked through out the month nights, you will succeed in getting it's benefits.

Thanks, what root should I look for in the dictionary?

Lebanese people don't pronounce the ق the way it should be all the time. Like Nakshawani would be pronounce Na'shawani in Lebanese dialect. Qalamoun would be pronounced alamoun. 6areeqa would be pronounced 6aree'a.

Yemenis pronounce the ق like the letter 'G' all the time. (I think.) Forgive me for any mistakes in this comment, I've probably had too much narjileh argileh (نارجيلة‎) after iftar tonight.

When Lebanese people are speaking among each other or on the street then we don't say "qaf" we replace it with a Hamza. Arabs consider it weird and funny to speak fos7a in the street or in a regular gathering, people will laugh. However when Lebanese people are on TV or teaching classes, or are in a professional setting they will speak in fos7a and pronounce the qaf. Those who cannot speak fos7a or read fos7a are seen as uneducated, so fos7a is a very very important tool and it is an honorable thing to learn.

If you for example look at a class full of young iraqi or lebanese men(any arab for that matter), you'll often see the teacher correcting them in their fos7a and asking them questions regarding certain words, for example here is a master of Arabic from hawza teaching. So it isn't as if Arabs just come out of their mother's womb speaking fos7a and this should be a motivation to non-arabs, it takes hard work and it's a huge achievement. Arabic is an ocean that you can get lost in.

Here is a full hawza course on the arabic primer used in hawza قطر الندى وبل الصدى  He's very good even Sunnis say he is the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

making his words good  طيب

كلام طيب good kind talk

اطابة الكلام making the talk good 

ie, when blaming someone, or talking to someone who is wrong or someone whom you are disagreeing with or elder or child or woman, it is recommended to talk kind words despite that you may feel the need to talk harshly, it is called اطابة 

sometimes تطييب 

• Veteran Member

making his words good  طيب

كلام طيب good kind talk

اطابة الكلام making the talk good 

ie, when blaming someone, or talking to someone who is wrong or someone whom you are disagreeing with or elder or child or woman, it is recommended to talk kind words despite that you may feel the need to talk harshly, it is called اطابة 

sometimes تطييب 

Thanks, I thought it was something like that, it is just a bit awkward in English, so I thought that perhaps it might be something else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Sorry kind of off topic, but I didn't want to open a new thread for it.

Where is the harf al-laam in A'yan al-Shi'a?

Here is the Fihrist:

https://ia802303.us.archive.org/34/items/aayan-alshia/11.pdf

p. 178: harf al-kaaf, then page p.180 harf al-meem

On page 204 it goes on the harf al-noon.

Where is the laam?

Thanks