Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Game That Takes You Way Back

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salaams

I'm not talking about anything in the Mario series or the Sonic series. Even if those have nostalgic value, you never forgot they existed. They are famous characters, and they continue to have games made for them today.

I am talking about a video game that you played during your childhood, then forgot it existed, and then was given a reminder and it BLEW YOUR MIND. For me, that game was Ecco the Dolphin. I just remembered its existence a couple weeks ago, after years of neglect. So I decided to download a game rom of it and play it on an emulator. And man this game is amazing. First of all, it has a really cool and weird story, which I never noticed as a kid. You can read about that on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecco_the_Dolphin

Secondly, I never noticed how great the soundtrack was. It's so ominous. Very appropriate for the plot.

The graphics are perfect. Among the best of the 16-bit era. There used to be a lot of different types of graphical styles; unlike nowadays where outside of the major Nintendo franchises (Mario, DK, Metroid etc.) all the games just try to make things look real. The style of Super Mario World was different from Sonic 3, which was different from Donkey Kong Country, etc... But in all of those cases, the games are purposely cartoonish. They looked great but only in the context of the overall stylistic direction which they chose.

But Ecco is different. Ecco actually looks realistic. The environments and characters all look amazing. It's one of those games where initially when  you start playing, you're just admiring the great visuals.

Also, the game is insanely hard. It's one of the most notoriously difficult games of its generation. Khadim az Zahra should try it, considering he thinks old games were all cakewalks. Here is the link for anyone who wants to try it out: http://www.ssega.com/game.php?id=580 (although the proper way to play it is with a Genesis and controller)

• Veteran Member

I have too many XD Ill just put down a few, in no particular order.

Super Mario Bro's / Donkey Kong / Yoshi's island - Super Nintendo

Aladdin/Lion King/Super Man/Batman - SEGA

Mario Kart Racing - N64

Lotus Turbo Challenge - SEGA

Earth Worm Jim - Sega

Crash Bandicoot - Playstation

Call of Duty 2 - Xbox360

I can go on forever. Ill stop here ^_^

Edited by PureEthics
  • Advanced Member

For me its 'Super Mario Bros' and the 'Duck Hunt'. 

My childhood life right there ^thumbs_up_icon_by_slamiticon-d5zerm9.png

After Nintendo(1998-2001), I got a PlayStation 2(2001). My very first games were Grand Turismo 3 and stuntman 

• Advanced Member

One game I played in my childhood but forgot for many years was a game called Jersey Devil on the PS1, creepiest thing as a kid... I didn't even finish it but I wouldn't mind beating it now (have to face your fears sometime ya know.)

Another one would be Oddworld, also on the PS1, didn't realize the mass amount of symbolism it had at the time since it just came off as really weird and freaky... So I never finished that either. I intend to beat it sometime soon though.

Also there was one castlevania game on the Snes (Don't remember which one exactly) but I thought that was pretty amazing.

Yeah unfortunately it seems I just forget about games that were scary when I was younger, ah wells.

• Veteran Member

Jetpack, best game ever!

attachicon.gifjetpack.jpg

This looks awfully similar to Dangerous Dave (or "Dave" as we would call it in Iran).

Would this happen to be a DOS game?

Bomberman :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hell to the yes

Which one was your favorite?

I mean they were all the same game but which one was best in its aesthetic appeal? I had the PS1 version (Bomberman World) but I later became acquainted with the Saturn version which allows for 16 players!!! I want to be a part of that action for sure.

• Advanced Member

Hell to the yes

Which one was your favorite?

I mean they were all the same game but which one was best in its aesthetic appeal? I had the PS1 version (Bomberman World) but I later became acquainted with the Saturn version which allows for 16 players!!! I want to be a part of that action for sure.

I liked Bomberman. It was awesome, placing tiny bombs to break walls and kill enemies. :D

Also I played Mario all the time. I remember my dad used to tell me to find the princess. He loved it when I played Mario.  

OMG!!! Who remembers this game?

post-89173-0-36450500-1398764247_thumb.g

Edited by Sapphire
  • Veteran Member

I liked Bomberman.

No lol I mean which Bomberman. There was like a million different versions. I'm guessing you had one of the Super Nintendo versions?

PS1 is mother of all epic games. Tekken, FF7, Tomb Rider, Resident Evil , Metal Gear Solid , GT, FIFA etc 

Unlike today's stick the screen in your face games, Tekken was a game that strengthened  the bond between family members. WE sat in circle with popcorn and the joystick was handled from the loser to the next player. 

I had a PS1 when I was a kid. And back then I thought it was awesome. But in retrospect, I think the N64 and Sega Saturn are better. A lot of their games have aged better than the PS1 games.

bradar did you love the meeting of big whale at the end of game :wub:

King of fighters 97

OMG bro did you finish Ecco? I never came CLOSE. I got through maybe half of it. And I lost my motivation when I learned that the final boss was impossible.

If you finished Ecco, you're my hero.

Also, I love the King of Fighters, as well. Capcom vs. SNK on the Dreamcast is probably my favorite fighting game, and it features most of the big names from the KOF series.

• Veteran Member

I had a PS1 when I was a kid. And back then I thought it was awesome. But in retrospect, I think the N64 and Sega Saturn are better. A lot of their games have aged better than the PS1 games.

Nay. We had Sega and Nintendo and we have Wii now. The Wii allows you to use some body movement in the play but you really don't need to move much. The controller is a stick that looks like a tv remote control .

BUT when we get the PS out and hold the PS controller…we know that we are in charge of the game and only then we feel we are in the game.

playstation-controller.jpeg

Although body movements cannot be transmitted via controller, it was not uncommon to see players leaning to side, moving their hands up in hope to make the character jump higher, hold the controller backward to stop something, press harder as if it will make the hit harder….Only PS games made that happen.

When there was a difficult monster or puzzle and the prof players gave up, then the girl comes and they give her the controller easily cause she is never gonna make it, they lay on their back playing with football or trying to make difficult body moves….then suddenly the girl makes it through lol suddenly they crawl back and try to get the controller , everyone wants to press the final hit or open the new door..HIT SEQUER, HIT TRIANGLE , PRESS L2 , PRESS START lol

When the roads and doors all seem locked and game is sorta cold and frozen, the players all get bored and move to kitchen to find where mom hide  the snacks, then a shout from the living room comes from the solitary gamer who was left behind "I MADE IT, I FOUD NEW DOOR" all players running back to living room leaving behind the quest to find the snacks another  call from the bathroom comes "PUASE TILL I FINSIHI WANNA SEE" lol 

Only PS games made that happen.

They may not last long, unless they are made with cleverness of FF7 with plenty of mini games like the ocean monster and secret chocobos and that gem that turn HP to 99999 and MP to 99999.The plot of the story of the game keeps you hooked in, you'd watch the movies related to it and the fan fiction, you might even buy cloths similar to characters cloths …i think these games lived longer in different ways.

Most of us who liked these games will like the MMORPGs as well.

• Veteran Member

Nay. We had Sega and Nintendo and we have Wii now. The Wii allows you to use some body movement in the play but you really don't need to move much. The controller is a stick that looks like a tv remote control .

BUT when we get the PS out and hold the PS controller…we know that we are in charge of the game and only then we feel we are in the game.

Although body movements cannot be transmitted via controller, it was not uncommon to see players leaning to side, moving their hands up in hope to make the character jump higher, hold the controller backward to stop something, press harder as if it will make the hit harder….Only PS games made that happen.

When there was a difficult monster or puzzle and the prof players gave up, then the girl comes and they give her the controller easily cause she is never gonna make it, they lay on their back playing with football or trying to make difficult body moves….then suddenly the girl makes it through lol suddenly they crawl back and try to get the controller , everyone wants to press the final hit or open the new door..HIT SEQUER, HIT TRIANGLE , PRESS L2 , PRESS START lol

When the roads and doors all seem locked and game is sorta cold and frozen, the players all get bored and move to kitchen to find where mom hide  the snacks, then a shout from the living room comes from the solitary gamer who was left behind "I MADE IT, I FOUD NEW DOOR" all players running back to living room leaving behind the quest to find the snacks another  call from the bathroom comes "PUASE TILL I FINSIHI WANNA SEE" lol 

Only PS games made that happen.

They may not last long, unless they are made with cleverness of FF7 with plenty of mini games like the ocean monster and secret chocobos and that gem that turn HP to 99999 and MP to 99999.The plot of the story of the game keeps you hooked in, you'd watch the movies related to it and the fan fiction, you might even buy cloths similar to characters cloths …i think these games lived longer in different ways.

Much of what you are saying is highly subjective and entirely nostalgia-driven.

Nostalgia is great, of course. But you can't say that all of your experiences are entirely unique and entirely predicated upon the PS.

Moving your controller in different directions? That's just a natural reaction. Has nothing to do with the PS controller. And I like the PS controller but it is very similar to the SNES controller. And if I had to say a favorite controller I would say the Saturn. But all of this is based on opinion, and moreover, a controller is just one aspect of playing.

Also, it's not like every console uses a motion-sensor controller like the Wii. The Gamecube didn't use one, and the Wii U doesn't use one. The X-Box and its descendants didn't use one. And even the Wii itself had other controllers; the motion-sensor one was just to draw in more casual fans to get the console. So your logic is very flawed, even if we consider the controller as the only important factor.

The reason why I say PS1 games have not aged as well, is this:

We all know the PS1/N64/Saturn generation was weak on 3D graphics. We didn't notice at the time because we were so captivated by it, but it's true. The ambitions of the game designers had far outpaced the capabilities of the hardware of the time. But if you look at the Nintendo 64, its most popular games (understandably so) were from proprietary franchises like Mario and Donkey Kong. Because of the cartoonish graphical style of such games, and the absence of real-world physics to try to emulate, such games remain timeless classics. In their gameplay as well as their aesthetic appeal. For example, between Golden Eye 007 and Mario Kart 64, which has aged better? Both were amazing at the time, but one of them has stood the test of time far better.

On the PS, which game looks and plays better today? Tomb Raider, or Crash Bandicoot? The latter.

And because Nintendo's flagship franchises were all that style of game, the N64 had a bigger library of games that could stand up to the test of time.

But the truly oppressed one here is the Saturn. Sega at the time felt that the day's hardware was not yet ready for 3D capabilities and thus, the vast majority of Saturn games were 2D. Fighters, shooters, and RPGs (a lot of them Japan-exclusives) were its strong suit. At the time, we were all about the 3D revolution, so we ignored the Saturn. But looking back almost 20 years in the future, we see that 2D Saturn games have held up very well in their aesthetic appeal and gameplay.

That's why I say the PS1 didn't age as well as the N64 or Saturn. Because of the respective game libraries.

• Advanced Member

Uber FFVII...Best. Game. Ever!

media_cloud_big.jpg

playstation-controller.jpeg

You must agree though, the N64 controller was ingenious.

nintendo_n64_controller.jpg

• Veteran Member

Much of what you are saying is highly subjective and entirely nostalgia-driven.

Nostalgia is great, of course. But you can't say that all of your experiences are entirely unique and entirely predicated upon the PS.

Moving your controller in different directions? That's just a natural reaction. Has nothing to do with the PS controller. And I like the PS controller but it is very similar to the SNES controller. And if I had to say a favorite controller I would say the Saturn. But all of this is based on opinion, and moreover, a controller is just one aspect of playing.

Also, it's not like every console uses a motion-sensor controller like the Wii. The Gamecube didn't use one, and the Wii U doesn't use one. The X-Box and its descendants didn't use one. And even the Wii itself had other controllers; the motion-sensor one was just to draw in more casual fans to get the console. So your logic is very flawed, even if we consider the controller as the only important factor.

The reason why I say PS1 games have not aged as well, is this:

We all know the PS1/N64/Saturn generation was weak on 3D graphics. We didn't notice at the time because we were so captivated by it, but it's true. The ambitions of the game designers had far outpaced the capabilities of the hardware of the time. But if you look at the Nintendo 64, its most popular games (understandably so) were from proprietary franchises like Mario and Donkey Kong. Because of the cartoonish graphical style of such games, and the absence of real-world physics to try to emulate, such games remain timeless classics. In their gameplay as well as their aesthetic appeal. For example, between Golden Eye 007 and Mario Kart 64, which has aged better? Both were amazing at the time, but one of them has stood the test of time far better.

On the PS, which game looks and plays better today? Tomb Raider, or Crash Bandicoot? The latter.

And because Nintendo's flagship franchises were all that style of game, the N64 had a bigger library of games that could stand up to the test of time.

But the truly oppressed one here is the Saturn. Sega at the time felt that the day's hardware was not yet ready for 3D capabilities and thus, the vast majority of Saturn games were 2D. Fighters, shooters, and RPGs (a lot of them Japan-exclusives) were its strong suit. At the time, we were all about the 3D revolution, so we ignored the Saturn. But looking back almost 20 years in the future, we see that 2D Saturn games have held up very well in their aesthetic appeal and gameplay.

That's why I say the PS1 didn't age as well as the N64 or Saturn. Because of the respective game libraries.

True  :lol: I am not going to argue over a game. But truth is i did not like Mario or Crash or Hong donk gong whatever , i enjoyed sonic more than these games even when they were available on PS. I liked PS games and they left an ever lasting effect on my expectation from a game.

I forgot to mention the vibration in the controller, there was a game where you move a captive girl in abandoned house with a freak in it, she basically should stay calm else when she is scared her heart beat is loud that we can hear it and feel it with the vibration …..lol it was scary and at times we turned off the PS because we didn't want to see what will happen.