Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
La fata illa Ali

2 Pakistani Tendencies

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have noticed two very common behavioural traits amongst our pakistani brothers and I wanted to know where they stem from...

1) They never say Alhamdulilah...they always say Shukralhamdulillah...where is this coming from? For example if you inquire about their health they say 'Shukralhamdulillah' or when the finish eating they will say 'Shukralhamdulillah'

Is there a hadith for this?

2) They never drink water during or after meals and vehmently suggest this is a bad practise and against the teachings of the imams (as)...

Do we actually have hadith that suggests this act? This one could be true and I am also willing to practise if hadith with references and chain of narrarators is presented.

DISCLAIMER: I am not bashing a race rather I have observed this behaviour from this ethnicity specifically and so I am wondering where this training is rooted.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have noticed two very common behavioural traits amongst our pakistani brothers and I wanted to know where they stem from...

1) They never say Alhamdulilah...they always say Shukralhamdulillah...where is this coming from? For example if you inquire about their health they say 'Shukralhamdulillah' or when the finish eating they will say 'Shukralhamdulillah'

2) They never drink water during or after meals and vehmently suggest this is a bad practise and against the teachings of the imams (as)...

Do we actually have hadith that suggests this act? This one could be true and I am also willing to practise if hadith with references and chain of narrarators is presented.

DISCLAIMER: I am not bashing a race rather I have observed this behaviour from this ethnicity specifically and so I am wondering where this training is rooted.

The word Shukar mean thanks, and alhamdulillah mean all praises be to Allah swt. So i dont see how these two can mix with each other. I think its normal for both being used.

It is unworthy to drink water after eating fatty food. So most muslims drink water before eating.

The word Shukar mean thanks, and alhamdulillah mean all praises be to Allah swt. So i dont see how these two can mix with each other. I think its normal for both being used.

It is unworthy to drink water after eating fatty food. So most muslims drink water before eating.

Again I am looking for hadith references for the above statements.

as for the first one it is well known that the Imam's (as) have said to say Alhamdulilah and not anything else...so it is not correct to make your own statements.

The second one is really just looking for a reference in our hadith for this...

So I am still waiting.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Salamun alaykum.

Religiously, it is makruh (disproved) to drink water (specially cold water) during and immediately after meals.

The second one is really just looking for a reference in our hadith for this...

So I am still waiting.

For example, it has been narrated from Imam Rida (as),the 8th Infallible Imam, who said:

" وَ مَنْ أَرَادَ أَنْ لَا تُؤْذِيَهُ مَعِدَتُهُ فَلَا يَشْرَبْ عَلَى طَعَامِهِ مَاءً حَتَّى يَفْرُغَ وَ مَنْ فَعَلَ ذَلِكَ رَطِبَ بَدَنُهُ وَ ضَعُفَتْ مَعِدَتُهُ وَ لَمْ تَأْخُذِ الْعُرُوقُ قُوَّةَ الطَّعَامِ فَإِنَّهُ يَصِيرُ فِي الْمَعِدَةِ فِجّاً إِذَا صُبَّ الْمَاءُ عَلَى الطَّعَامِ أَوَّلًا فَأَوَّلًا"

"The one who wants not to be bothered by his stomach he should not drink water during the meals ..."

(Tibb al-Rida, p. 35).

For example, it has been narrated from Imam Rida (as),the 8th Infallible Imam, who said:

" وَ مَنْ أَرَادَ أَنْ لَا تُؤْذِيَهُ مَعِدَتُهُ فَلَا يَشْرَبْ عَلَى طَعَامِهِ مَاءً حَتَّى يَفْرُغَ وَ مَنْ فَعَلَ ذَلِكَ رَطِبَ بَدَنُهُ وَ ضَعُفَتْ مَعِدَتُهُ وَ لَمْ تَأْخُذِ الْعُرُوقُ قُوَّةَ الطَّعَامِ فَإِنَّهُ يَصِيرُ فِي الْمَعِدَةِ فِجّاً إِذَا صُبَّ الْمَاءُ عَلَى الطَّعَامِ أَوَّلًا فَأَوَّلًا"

"The one who wants not to be bothered by his stomach he should not drink water during the meals ..."

(Tibb al-Rida, p. 35).

So thats during the meals...not after the meal...way different

(salam)

I used to say "shukralhamdulillah" or "Allah shukr" when i was a kid, idk why we do that, I guess the latter is sort of a translation of "Alhamdulillah" into Urdu (although the words are Arabic anyway :wacko: )

As for the hadith you were asking for, this is all i could find, no actual hadith from the Ahlul Bayt (as) . It doesn't have anything with drinking water after eating anything in general, though. Perhaps that's just a desi superstition or something?

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/29339-hadith-on-table-manners/

2648. It is improper to drink too much water; to drink water after eating fatty food; and to drink water while standing at the night time. It is also improper to drink water with one's left hand; to drink water from the side of the broken part of the pot, or from the side of its handle.

Edited by Gotham

So thats during the meals...not after the meal...way different

Imam Ali (as) narrates that:

"َ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص إِذَا أَكَلَ اللَّحْمَ لَا يَعْجَلُ بِشُرْبِ الْمَاءِ فَقَالَ لَهُ بَعْضُ أَصْحَابِهِ مِنْ أَهْلِ بَيْتِهِ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ مَا أَقَلَّ شُرْبَكَ لِلْمَاءِ عَلَى اللَّحْمِ فَقَالَ لَيْسَ أَحَدٌ يَأْكُلُ هَذَا الْوَدَكَ ثُمَّ يَكُفُّ عَنْ شُرْبِ الْمَاءِ إِلَى آخِرِ طَعَامِهِ إِلَّا اسْتَمْرَأَ الطَّعَامَ"

"When the Prophet (pbuh) had meat in his meal he did not  drink water immediately after the meal..."

Mustadrak Wasa'il al-Shi'a, vol. 17 . p. 7

Imam Ali (as) narrates that:

"َ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص إِذَا أَكَلَ اللَّحْمَ لَا يَعْجَلُ بِشُرْبِ الْمَاءِ فَقَالَ لَهُ بَعْضُ أَصْحَابِهِ مِنْ أَهْلِ بَيْتِهِ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ مَا أَقَلَّ شُرْبَكَ لِلْمَاءِ عَلَى اللَّحْمِ فَقَالَ لَيْسَ أَحَدٌ يَأْكُلُ هَذَا الْوَدَكَ ثُمَّ يَكُفُّ عَنْ شُرْبِ الْمَاءِ إِلَى آخِرِ طَعَامِهِ إِلَّا اسْتَمْرَأَ الطَّعَامَ"

"When the Prophet (pbuh) had meat in his meal he did not  drink water immediately after the meal..."

Mustadrak Wasa'il al-Shi'a, vol. 17 . p. 7

okay now we are talking,

no water if fatty food is eaten and no water after eating meat.

So thats isnt all encompasing every and any meal...only two specific situations...now we know...unless you have more to add.

(bismillah)

(salam)

When you hear a Shukr Alhamdolillah it means Thanks, Praise be to Allah .... 

Q - Do you have Good Health ? 

A - Yes, Shukr Alhamdolillah (Thanks, Praise be to Allah)

Its a sign of good etiquitte i guess :)

Also after meals you will hear a lot of people say Shukr Alhamdolillah when they are getting up from the dinner table. It also means Thanks, Praise be to Allah. 

Edited by xstatik2

(bismillah)

(salam)

1. Yes, it's part of Islamic Akhlaq to say Shukr and say Alhamdolillah, so they are right there.

2. Yes, not one but many Hadith telling to drink water before meals but not during meals and never after meals.

(bismillah)

(salam)

In your first point you stated that Pakistanis never say alhamdulliah, and always say shukar alhamdulillah. I've seen Pakistanis use both, so absolute terms such as never and really can't be applied here.

Also, shukar alhamdulillah is still saying alhamdulillah so nothing is being lost and it is equal with simply saying alhamdulillah.

Regarding the point about Pakistanis "never" drinking during or after meals, I have seen Pakistanis drinking during and after meals and being Pakistani myself I have done both of these actions. So in this case as well, never shouldn't be used here.

I've read that Prophet Muhammad S.A.W did not drink while eating, but before or after I'm not sure about.

Edited by Atomic Silver