Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Use Of Taweez By Ahlebayt

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)

we have some ahadith that confirm the usage of taweez but specially those ones that include verses of Quran and parts of ahahdith, avoiding people to do some thing wrong out of themselves that may lead to some wrong beliefs like believing in magic etc.

also some Surat of Quran like Surat Al- Nas& Al- Falagh are named as Moawazatayn (المعوذتین) which is derived from the same rout Taweez is from.

there are some famous taweez among  Shia like Herz Imam Javad A.S etc

Edited by mahdi servant.01

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Dear sister, 

I understand that in some Muslim countries (like Pakistan), the word "taweez" means black magic, but in original Arabic the same word actually means an amulet or talisman (for the lack of better word in English, as in Arabic what is meant is a religious amulet). The other Arabic word of the same meaning is "harz". 

So if by taweez you mean a religious item (mostly a written Ayat or prayer) for protection, then yes, it is allowed.

There are many Ayat, Surahs and prayers that can be worn or kept at home for protection or increase of sustenance, as for example the famous one of our Lady Zahra (as).

You can find it, and others, in Mafatih al Jinan.

(wasalam)

Amina 

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum Jamī’an wa Rahmatullah.

The mention of certain religious formula from the Qur’anic verses or Duas (Dhikr) to avoid evils and bad events like calamities, accidents, pains and illnesses is called ’Isti‘ādhah or Taweez or Tamīmah and etc. as well. It’s been emphasized upon by Ahlul-Bayt to use the mentioned Taweezs. The most famous one is this verse:

وَ إِنْ يَكادُ الَّذينَ كَفَرُوا لَيُزْلِقُونَكَ بِأَبْصارِهِمْ لَمَّا سَمِعُوا الذِّكْرَ وَ يَقُولُونَ إِنَّهُ لَمَجْنُون

The lightening almost takes a way their sight Whenever it shines on them, they walk in it, and when it becomes dark to them, they stand still And if Allah had pleased He would certainly have taken away their hearing and their sight Surely Allah has power over all things (2:20)

And there are bunches of narrations which I mention some of them:

عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ بَعْضِ أَصْحَابِهِ عَنِ الْقَدَّاحِ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ قَالَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع‏ رَقَى النَّبِيُّ ص حَسَناً وَ حُسَيْناً فَقَالَ أُعِيذُكُمَا بِكَلِمَاتِ‏ اللَّهِ التَّامَّاتِ وَ أَسْمَائِهِ الْحُسْنَى كُلِّهَا عَامَّةً مِنْ شَرِّ السَّامَّةِ وَ الْهَامَّةِ وَ مِنْ شَرِّ كُلِّ عَيْنٍ لَامَّةٍ وَ مِنْ شَرِّ حاسِدٍ إِذا حَسَدَ ثُمَّ الْتَفَتَ النَّبِيُّ ص إِلَيْنَا فَقَالَ هَكَذَا كَانَ يُعَوِّذُ إِبْرَاهِيمُ- إِسْمَاعِيلَ وَ إِسْحَاقَ ع

“The Prophet (p) said to Imam Hassan and Imam Husain (p): … (Through some certain Duas), by the Perfect Names of Allah and the most beautiful Names of Allah, I guard you from the evil of death, mischievous animals, harmful eyes and from the evil of the envious when he envies. And the Prophet (p), then, said: this is how (Prophet) Abraham did Taweez for Ismael and Isaac.

(Al-Kāfī, vol.2, p.569, H.3)

Even there are some recommendations for writing and having this Duas with oneself:

الْمَكَارِمُ، عَنْ مُعَمَّرِ بْنِ خَلَّادٍ قَالَ: كُنْتُ مَعَ الرِّضَا ع بِخُرَاسَانَ‏ عَلَى نَفَقَاتِهِ فَأَمَرَنِي أَنْ أَتَّخِذَ لَهُ غَالِيَةً فَلَمَّا اتَّخَذْتُهَا فَأُعْجِبَ بِهَا فَنَظَرَ إِلَيْهَا فَقَالَ لِي يَا مُعَمَّرُ إِنَّ الْعَيْنَ حَقٌّ فَاكْتُبْ فِي رُقْعَةٍ الْحَمْدَ وَ قُلْ هُوَ اللَّهُ أَحَدٌ وَ الْمُعَوِّذَتَيْنِ وَ آيَةَ الْكُرْسِيِّ وَ اجْعَلْهَا فِي غِلَافِ الْقَارُورَة

Imam Reza (p) said to Mu‘ammar Ibn Khallād: verily (the evil of) eyes is real; so, write down in a swath (Ruq‘ah) (the verses of) al-Hamd and Qul Hua Allahu Ahad (Tawheed) and Mu‘awwaḍatain (al-Naas and al-Falaq) and Ayatul-Kursi and keep it in the cover of bottle (Qārūrah).

(Bīhār al-Anwār, Beirut, vol.60, p.26-27, H.22)

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Lol, do a little more research into it sister

Dear brother, 

No, I did not invent it myself, and yes, what I've written is really so, sorry!  :wacko:

See the thread "Is it possible to know the originator of black magic/taweez?" in General discussions forum, or "Taweez aka Black Magic" thread, also in General discussions forum.

(But I was also surprised to find that the word "taweez" could mean both in some countries.)

Kindest regards  (wasalam)

Amina

• Advanced Member

Well I agree with most of what you say(not all), but I don't fancy anyone highlighting "Pakistan"(my beloved country) into negative areas only.

The people and specifically this concept is usually linked with their old Indo-Pak traditional [Edited Out]. 

Apart from this, the thread you just referred is also clearly stating that Tawez to be of Lebanese origin.

And what you did here is how stereotypes are created. Please refrain yourself from this.

10% of the country does'nt represent us, follow the 90% if you want to learn something

(salam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam) Dear brother,

I had no intention of stereotyping anything or anyone, but some Moslems of the subcontinent obviously refer to taweez as something else than what it originally means in Arabic, and since someone asked if it was halal or haram, I wanted to clarify the matter and understand correctly what he/she was referring to. I strongly doubt that because of one word anyone of us is going to get the wrong opinion of the whole country -  that is very unlikely indeed. 

It is obvious though that for you it is a sensitive issue, and I can understand that you are afraid that new misconceptions could be created by merely mentioning this, but as I said previously, I think most of us are too intelligent to form an opinion on the entire nation based on one question.

As far as "refraining" from discussing certain topics, I believe that the Islamic approach is that when someone asks a question, especially one concerning what is lawful and what is not, we are obliged to share our knowledge and answer, even if it may be something that we personally dislike.

(wasalam)

Amina 

• Advanced Member

since someone asked if it was halal or haram, I wanted to clarify the matter and understand correctly what he/she was referring to.

As salam alaykom. can anyone tell me whether taweez are allowed in Islam? And whether the ahlebayt used them?

jzk.

I dont see anyone asking for halal/haram and I certainly dont see him/her asking to whether which country allows and which doesnt.

I think most of us are too intelligent to form an opinion on the entire nation based on one question.

I'm not afraid of the majority of intelligent people around, on the contrary riots are created by the stupid/un-intelligent minority

As far as "refraining" from discussing certain topics, I believe that the Islamic approach is that when someone asks a question, especially one concerning what is lawful and what is not, we are obliged to share our knowledge and answer, even if it may be something that we personally dislike.

I never asked you to hold yourself back from sharing your precious knowledge with the world. In fact I simply asked you not to mention the name of my country again.

(I suggest you walk a mile in our shoes before labelling anywhere)

(salam) 

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

How come one simple sentence with good intention can cause so much trouble and spite?  

As I have no intention of quarreling with you and no desire to get involved in so much hatred, I consider this "dialogue" as closed.

(wasalam)

Amina

• Advanced Member

How come one simple sentence with good intention can cause so much trouble and spite?  

One simple sentence with good intention? I doubt that

Anyway, I never wanted to argue with you in the first place. Your continuous and void arguments forced me to do so.

No harm done sister, my apologies for any inconvenience 

(salam)

• Advanced Member

What's the religious basis of wearing an amulet or what you called Taweez? I'm seeing some arbitrary hadiths being quoted here but I don't see these stating anything about draping yourself with Quranic verses or Holy names in a wearable objects.