Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Lordofgemini

Salam In Salat

Rate this topic

We give salam to the prophet (s) in our salat And salam is a wajib part of namaz.

But then I am confused did the prophet do the same(I.e. give himself salam) . Or maybe he gave salam to someone else -maybe the two nobel angels on the shoulders.

Any help will be appreciated.

Salam,

The prophet (as) lead the salat in jama'a prayer so surely ,I believe,he would give salam so that the believers knew how to perform salat properly. I can imagine that if he did say something else we would have a bunch of ahadeeth saying "X narates from Y that Z heard the prophet say -- during salam in prayer" and people would have different opinions as to what they should say and many'll been misguided.

Some might argue that maybe the prophet (as) changed his salam when he prayed alone but I don't think he would do that. This is my personal argument I have no ahadeeth to support this.

Edited by Yasmeena

The Prophet [saaw] also said: "Ihdena ala sirat ala siratal musataqem" (Lead us to the right path). Does that mean that the Prophet was not on the right path? No! It is a quranic aya from Allah, likewise the salam in prayer is established by Allah, so the Prophet did was Allah made wajib.

The Prophet [saaw] also said: "Ihdena ala sirat ala siratal musataqem" (Lead us to the right path). Does that mean that the Prophet was not on the right path? No! It is a quranic aya from Allah, likewise the salam in prayer is established by Allah, so the Prophet did was Allah made wajib.

Good point.

I think the answer is quite clear. The prophet would send salaams to himself, which really isnt weird or wrong in anyway. What is salaam other than addressing peace to one another? Plus, as others said, it is so we can consistently know the true way.

Let me give you another example:

This was the case with the ‘salawat’ at that time as well. After the verse “ان الله و ملائکته یصلون علی النبی یا ایها الذین آمنوا صلوا علیه و سلموا تسلیما”[1] was revealed, the Muslims went to the prophet (pbuh) and asked him how they were supposed to send salawat upon the prophet (pbuh), and as has been narrated in numerous hadiths by both Shia and Sunni sources (mutawatir), the prophet (pbuh) answered: “Say: “اللهم صل علی محمد و آل محمد کما صلیت علی ابراهیم و...”[2]; this is how the Muslims learned to send salawats upon the prophet (pbuh).[3]

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

We give salam to the prophet (s) in our salat And salam is a wajib part of namaz.

Unanimously, 1st salam "Assalamu 'alayka ayyuhan Nabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh" is not a wajib part .

(Islamic law by Ayatullah Sistani)
Issue 1114: While a person sits after reciting tashahhud in the last Rak'at, and his body is tranquil, it is Mustahab to say: Assalamu 'alayka ayyuhan Nabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Then he should say: Assalamu Alaykum and as a recommended precaution add to it Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh. Alternatively, he can say: Assalamu Alayna Wa Ala Ibadi llahis Salihin. But if he recites this Salam, then as per obligatory precaution, he must follow it up with saying: Assalamu Alaykum.

So is there any evidence that Prophet (pbuh)  was saying that in his prayers ?

والسلام علیکم 

(bismillah)

Unanimously, 1st salam "Assalamu 'alayka ayyuhan Nabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh" is not a wajib part .

Issue 1114: While a person sits after reciting tashahhud in the last Rak'at, and his body is tranquil, it is Mustahab to say: Assalamu 'alayka ayyuhan Nabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Then he should say: Assalamu Alaykum and as a recommended precaution add to it Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh. Alternatively, he can say: Assalamu Alayna Wa Ala Ibadi llahis Salihin. But if he recites this Salam, then as per obligatory precaution, he must follow it up with saying: Assalamu Alaykum.

So is there any evidence that Prophet (pbuh)  was saying that in his prayers ?

والسلام علیکم 

Great point.

But which part is then obligatory to recite in salam?

Great point.

But which part is then obligatory to recite in salam?

There was the answer in my last post.

Here it is:

Issue 1114: While a person sits after reciting tashahhud in the last Rak'at, and his body is tranquil, ....  he should say: Assalamu Alaykum and as a recommended precaution add to it Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh. Alternatively, he can say: Assalamu Alayna Wa Ala Ibadi llahis Salihin. But if he recites this Salam, then as per obligatory precaution, he must follow it up with saying: Assalamu Alaykum.

Yes, therefore I asked :)

I can't see where it says that it is wajib to recite so and so.

The phrase "he should" means, it is wajib , just for you to be, sure this is the fatwa of Ayatullah Sistani from the book "Minhaj Al-Saliheen"و هو واجب في كل صلاة و آخر أجزائها، و به يخرج عنها و تحل له منافياتها، و له صيغتان، الأولى: السلام علينا و على عباد الله الصالحين و الثانية: السلام عليكم بإضافة و رحمة الله و بركاته على الأحوط الأولى، و الأحوط لزوما عدم ترك الصيغة الثانية و إن أتى بالأولى، و يستحب الجمع بينهما و لكن إذا قدم الثانية اقتصر عليها، و أما قوله السلام عليك أيها النبي و رحمة الله و بركاته فليس من صيغ السلام، و لا يخرج به عن الصلاة، بل هو مست

الفصل الثامن في التسليم‌

و هو واجب في كل صلاة و آخر أجزائها، و به يخرج عنها و تحل له منافياتها، و له صيغتان، الأولى: السلام علينا و على عباد الله الصالحين و الثانية: السلام عليكم بإضافة و رحمة الله و بركاته على الأحوط الأولى، و الأحوط لزوما عدم ترك الصيغة الثانية و إن أتى بالأولى، و يستحب الجمع بينهما و لكن إذا قدم الثانية اقتصر عليها، و أما قوله السلام عليك أيها النبي و رحمة الله و بركاته فليس من صيغ السلام، و لا يخرج به عن الصلاة، بل هو  مستحب.

(Concise translation) Salaam is wajib in every prayer and there is two phrases for that " As-salaam alayna wa ala 'ibadillah as-saleheen" and " As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh" one must not leave the second phrase even if he said the first one, based on precaution . and it is mustahab to say both of them. And "As-salaam alayka ayyuha an-nabi wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh" is not one of the (obligatory) phrases of salaam, and it is mustahab. 

والسلام علیکم

Edited by Malik.Ashtar