Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

I recently heard from an 'Aalim that Sayyeda Fatimah (as) had not 2, but three daughters. He (may Allah bless him) said that there was not only Zaynab al-Kubra and Zaynab as-Sughra, but there was also a Zaynab al-Wusta. This has left me in a confused position.

It is well known that Zaynab al-Kubra is the famous lady Zaynab of Karbala. She is buried in Syria.

I knew there was a Zaynab as-Sughra, who is also known as Umm Kulthoom. She is buried in Egypt.

I did not know of Zaynab al-Wusta, but according to the Shaykh, she died during the life of Imam Husayn (as) and is buried in Jannatul Baqee'.

Now I am confused, was there really a Zaynab al-Wusta? And if there was, is Zaynab al-Wusta really Sayyeda Umm Kulthoom, and Zaynab as-Sughra another Zaynab?

You see, before I heard this, I though Zaynab as-Sughra was Sayyeda Umm Kulthoom. But according to the Shaykh, Zaynab al-Wusta is Sayyeda Umm Kulthoom, and Zaynab as-Sughra is the third Zaynab who is buried in Jannatul Baqee'.

Which one is it?

And for those of you who do not know, Zaynab al Kubra means the greater/older Zaynab. Zaynab al-Wusta is the middle Zaynab. And Zaynab as-Sughra is the lesser/younger Zaynab.

I know much about Zaynab al-Kubra from Karbala, as do many of us. But I know very little about Zaynab al-Wusta (Umm Kulthoom) and practically nothing about Zaynab as-Sughra. Can someone please clear this up for me?

(wasalam)

Salamun alaykum

I searched in some authoritative reports but I didn’t fine the point you mentioned.

Actually as I find, it is somehow unanimous that she didn’t have more than two daughters but the historians disagree whether she had one daughter, Zainab al Kubra, or two.

The group who say that she had one daughter claim that Umm Kulthoom is another surname for Lady Zainab.

I would be glad if you could bring some references. 

(wasalam)

Brother, I myself am confused. I thought she had two daughters. I was also aware that there was a theory that she had one daughter, and Umm Kulthoom was another name for Sayyeda Zaynab (as) . However, I was not aware there was any 3 daughter theory. I heard it from an 'Aalim, and he is now gone from my city. Because he did not mention any reference, I do not know of any.