Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How Long Imam Mahdi Will Live?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Hello, brothers and sisters.

What says hadiths about his life span? 

How he will die? And are these hadiths reliable? If yes, can you give me details who wrote them? 

Sorry for not perfect english (if i did mistakes). Just curious about this stuff. :>

• Veteran Member

He'd live long, like prophet Noah or more or like Khidr or Satan?

Or like Prophet Esa who is raised up or prophet Edris who is in the fourth sky?

Or like people of cave who slept way too long ?

Imams said the last one will be a trial, will be awaited, will be hidden, will be certainly alive and present on earth and surely a descendant from Imam Husain.

They are written in Shia Hadith books like Alkafi among others, Alkafi is called Usoul Alkafi, it is a collection of 400 asl. Asl is a less than a book, a compilation of hadiths by students of Imam Sadiq. A student who directly saw and heard Imam Sadiq wrote the hadiths down on paper, later on a man called Kulaini collected these asls of the students to create the Alkafi.

• Basic Members

He(As) hasn't yet re-appeared and people are worried about how long will he(AS) live !!!! Ya Allah.... :(

Take it easy on maxim, if you don't have anything nice to say or beneficial to maxim then keep it to yourself, everyone has questions and no matter how not important they may be to others it is.

• Basic Members

Take it easy on maxim, if you don't have anything nice to say or beneficial to maxim then keep it to yourself, everyone has questions and no matter how not important they may be to others it is.

Wise words. Thank you. :)

• Basic Members

After reappearance, narrations say he will not live long. He will be killed or poisoned.

Who wrote these hadiths? I mean, they reliable? (Strong, weak.) I don't know how exactly express... do this idea... mhm... facts or hadiths support not only sunni muslims but and also shia? 

Thank you for your help/information. :)

• Veteran Member

After reappearance, narrations say he will not live long. He will be killed or poisoned.

I heard somewhere that He(A.S.) will rule the world for 7 years and each year will be equal to 10 years of our present time. So He (A.S.) will rule for 70 years.  :donno:

• Veteran Member

Who wrote these hadiths? I mean, they reliable? (Strong, weak.) I don't know how exactly express... do this idea... mhm... facts or hadiths support not only sunni muslims but and also shia? 

Thank you for your help/information.  :)

Oh let me try to clarify something that i hope will help you. Hadith means speech. Hadith of prophet is his speech. Hadith then was turned to Islamic term to refer to prophet speech, practice being described by his companions and his approval or disapproval of their practices. This is the basic definition of Hadith.

Back then, there was no copy rights nor a way to verify that what's written is actually what was said except the oral or verbal testimony of the transmitter of the Hadith. If prophet made a speech before Ramadan and Zaid attended the event, heard the whole speech and memorized it then wrote it down on paper, later wen Zaid wishes to spread the hadith he should do so through dictating the hadith on others. For example, he can sit in mosque and tell all the attendants that he was present when prophet made the speech then he should recite what he memorized.

One of the attendants might wish to spread that prophetic speech that Zaid just told them about, the attendant can write down that speech that he attended the mosque where Zaid told them about what prophet said before Ramadan.

This is what you are going to read before any hadith, it is called chain of narrators or chain of transmission. For example, Imam Ridha once said :I heard a prophetic speech from my father from his father from his father from his father from his father  from my grandfather Imam Ali from our grandfather the prophet from Jebril that Allah said "La Illaha Illa Allah is my fort, whoever entered my fort then he will be safe from  my punishment"

This is called a golden chain because all of the men in the chain of transmission are trustworthy.

The hadith in principle is as binding as Quran. Whatever was said by prophet must be act upon just like how we act upon the verses of Quran.Due to many factors though we are to reach a level of certainty that a hadith had been said by prophet (or imam) for us to act upon it. One way to ascertain that the speech came from an infallible is by examining the trust worthiness of the men in the chain of transmission.

When we become sure that the hadith is Muhkam ( 100% certainty) then we do not ask who wrote it, we ask who transmitted it. The difference between the 2 verbs is very important islamically. If we asked who wrote it it will look like as if we are saying that hadiths are products of fallible men. Transmission though should always remind us that the hadith ultimately is from Allah, He is who told his prophet to spread these teachings. Prophet did not made these hadiths out of his own judgment neither did the Imams.

So I am assuming that you are asking about the men in the chain of transmission of these hadiths regarding Imam Mahdi life after reappearance? Or are you asking about the men who compiled these oral traditions in paper books?

To understand the oral tradition magnitude in early Islamic Arabia, we must imagine how many people could hear, comprehend and memorize a prophetic speech in comparison with how many can buy a paper then read the speech written down on it without guarantee  that what is written is what was said; lets see how many attended the Ghadir event،   It is estimated that they were around 100 thousand muslim. The hadith of ghadir has been transmitted through 110 different companion, who appeared in many chains of transmissions that Sunni scholars authored books dedicated to the chains of this hadith alone. The people who transmit hadith are called narrators or Rawi, the last person who heard the hadith ( the first name we read in the chain of transmission) who is usually the author of the book we are reading is called Muhaddith or hadith compiler. The hadith compilation books are called Musnad sometimes. Hadith alghadir appeared in 50 different major hadith compilation books (sunni books).

This sort of Hadith is called Motawatir, or often transmitted and narrated that it leaves no place for a doubt about its authenticity. So hadith ghadir is 100% certainly came from the prophet.

The hadith of prophet is as binding as the Quran because Quran told us to follow the prophet. Hadith from Ahlulbayt is as binding as hadith from prophet because prophet told us to follow Ahlulbayt. Ibn Uqdah Alzaidi counted in one of his books 4 thousand trust worthy narrator who heard hadith from Imam Ja'afar Alsadiq. Imam Sadiq students used to write for themselves then they used to hire people to copy the hadiths, scribes. The hadith i brought from Imam RIdha had been written by over 20 thousand scribe.

By the end of the Minor occultation if Imam Mahdi, the time of oral transmission staredt to end and the time of major shia hadith compilation began. They were written by men who had heard the hadith from the last narrator.

Their books then were copied, preserved and their books start to have its own chain of transmission as well. 

So, who wrote the hadiths? dozens of individuals.

Are they authentic? It depends on each hadith, each hadith should be studied individually to asses the structure of words, chain of transmission, he meaning it is being transmitted, if there are supported hadith or verses etc..

Usually when we write :Hadith sahih or hasan or weak etc, we are referring to the chain of trust worthy men, we are not commenting on the content of hadith.

I heard somewhere that He(A.S.) will rule the world for 7 years and each year will be equal to 10 years of our present time. So He (A.S.) will rule for 70 years.   :donno:

true, but there are others as well. Some say 7 some say 300 Allah knows best. Either way it is short period if we compared it to how long he had been in occultation .

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Where did you get this information brother?

(wasalam)

Salam, brother.

As said, 'rajah' is a well known concept in Islam. However, if you deny it, it is not haram for you. Rajah is not one of the "firoo'al'deen". Sayed al-Khoei said that there is no reason to reject it, because it is firmly established.

Sheikh Muhammad al-Hilli speaks about it here:  Part 1:

Part 2:

• Advanced Member

Salam

Forgive me for my ignorance but why will this rajah occur I mean the Imams have had a time of rule even thought it was not according to their rights, is it because they will be given a chance to rule over the Ummah and be giver the respect they deserve which they could not do so before due to the oppressive leaders of the time?

• Veteran Member

Salam

Forgive me for my ignorance but why will this rajah occur I mean the Imams have had a time of rule even thought it was not according to their rights, is it because they will be given a chance to rule over the Ummah and be giver the respect they deserve which they could not do so before due to the oppressive leaders of the time?

Good question, it needs a deep answer. Try "islamquest.net" there you can ask such questions :).

• Advanced Member

We should bother about the length of our life and hasten to do good.Since the life span of previous Imams was not predicted ,it will remain same for last Imam.Nobody except Allah knows the life of a person since He is the one who gives and He is the one who takes back.

We only know that he has a long life.May Allah bless him.