Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Namaz In Space?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)Salam Alaikum brothers and sisters.  

What about offering salah in space, to be more accurate, in a space station. Lets take the ISS ( International Space Station ), it obits earth for about 90 minutes, so about 16 orbits around the earth for 24hrs. 
They see the sunrise and sunset about 16 times per 24hrs, you turn to Kaba, but in the next seconds you change directions, you may start towars Kaba and end with Kaba at your back. Can we talk about this?

Salam alaikum

What about offering salah in space, to be more accurate, in a space station. Lets take the ISS ( International Space Station ), it obits earth for about 90 minutes, so about 16 orbits around the earth for 24hrs. 

They see the sunrise and sunset about 16 times per 24hrs, you turn to Kaba, but in the next seconds you change directions, you may start towars Kaba and end with Kaba at your back. Can we talk about this?

Salam alaikum

i think this is one of the proofs that humanity will never go from planet earth to other planets, because Ka'bah is what grounds us , we cannot be in Islam without it , hence we wont be able to leave earth without leaving it 

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was only able to find this ruling by Ayatollah Sistani (ha).

(75) A person travelled aboard an aeroplane [craft], whose speed is equal to that of the earth, heading towards the West from the East. The craft went into orbit around the earth for some time. In such a case, the five prayers should be performed in every twenty-four hour period with the niyyah of alqurbal mutlaqah (The intention for prayer done with a view to seeking nearness to Allah, i.e. without designating whether it is adaa’ or qadhaa’). As for fasting, it should later be performed qadhaa’.
If the speed of the [space craft] was double that of the earth, the cycle is, naturally, completed in periods of twelve hours. Is it obligatory on the traveller to perform Subh prayer at every dawn, Dhuhr and Asr prayers at every noon time, and Maghrib and Isha at every sunset?
As a matter of ihtiyat luzumi, [one should perform prayers in the manner suggested by the question, i.e. five prayers every twelve hours].
If, for example, the space craft orbited the earth at three-hour intervals or less, evidently it is not obligatory to perform prayers at every dawn, noon, and sunset. As a matter of ihtiyat, one should perform prayers at twenty-four hour cycles with the niyyah of alqurbal mutlaqah. To do so, one should take into consideration the occurrence of Subh prayer between two dawns, Dhuhr and Asr between a noon and a sunset that follows it, and Maghrib and Isha between a sunset and a midnight that follows it.
To sum up, if the movement of the craft was from the West to East and its speed was equivalent to that of the earth, evidently prayers should be performed at their prescribed times. Similarly, if its speed was less than that of the earth, or it was much more than that of the earth, such as the cycle is completed every three hours, the rules that should be applied are as discussed in the preceding paragraph.

• Advanced Member

For such people,namaz is also five times a day ,a day as per God made and not man made by using mechanical,electrical and other forces to move satellite in such manner that they have a different sized day.As namaz is the command of Allah,so the day about which hisab will be taken as also the day made by Him the Allmighty.

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum.

As you know, Salah must be done in any situation, as much as possible. For standing towards Qiblah in space, it is enough to stand towards earth and if he can not realize the side of earth, he has to do prayer in four directions.

NOTE: I strongly advise everyone to refer to his Marja‘’s views.

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum.

As you know, Salah must be done in any situation, as much as possible. For standing towards Qiblah in space, it is enough to stand towards earth and if he can not realize the side of earth, he has to do prayer in four directions.

NOTE: I strongly advise everyone to refer to his Marja‘’s views.

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Advanced Member

, you turn to Kaba, but in the next seconds you change directions, you may start towars Kaba and end with Kaba at your back. Can we talk about this?

Just pray with yr back towards the kaaba so by the time you spin youll face it.

• Moderators

(salam)

I was only able to find this ruling by Ayatollah Sistani (ha).

(75) A person travelled aboard an aeroplane [craft], whose speed is equal to that of the earth, heading towards the West from the East. The craft went into orbit around the earth for some time. In such a case, the five prayers should be performed in every twenty-four hour period with the niyyah of alqurbal mutlaqah (The intention for prayer done with a view to seeking nearness to Allah, i.e. without designating whether it is adaa’ or qadhaa’). As for fasting, it should later be performed qadhaa’.

If the speed of the [space craft] was double that of the earth, the cycle is, naturally, completed in periods of twelve hours. Is it obligatory on the traveller to perform Subh prayer at every dawn, Dhuhr and Asr prayers at every noon time, and Maghrib and Isha at every sunset?

As a matter of ihtiyat luzumi, [one should perform prayers in the manner suggested by the question, i.e. five prayers every twelve hours].

If, for example, the space craft orbited the earth at three-hour intervals or less, evidently it is not obligatory to perform prayers at every dawn, noon, and sunset. As a matter of ihtiyat, one should perform prayers at twenty-four hour cycles with the niyyah of alqurbal mutlaqah. To do so, one should take into consideration the occurrence of Subh prayer between two dawns, Dhuhr and Asr between a noon and a sunset that follows it, and Maghrib and Isha between a sunset and a midnight that follows it.

To sum up, if the movement of the craft was from the West to East and its speed was equivalent to that of the earth, evidently prayers should be performed at their prescribed times. Similarly, if its speed was less than that of the earth, or it was much more than that of the earth, such as the cycle is completed every three hours, the rules that should be applied are as discussed in the preceding paragraph.

So what this fatwa is saying is that you should perform the 5 prayers within a 24 hour period and that you should perform subh between one of the cycles of sunset and noon, dhuhr and asr between one of the cycles of noon to sunset, and maghrib and isha between one of the cycles of sunset to sunrise. So you have a choice which cycle to perform the salat as long as you perform 5 in one 24 hour period. 

Makes sense to me. It may be difficult at first to track which prayers you did, but like anything new, once you get used to it it becomes routine. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Advanced Member

I don't think you could actually do the physical prayer i.e. sujood for instance. You will not be able to touch your head on the floor as you will have a space suit on which has a massive helmet. Take it off and you are dead. 

I personally think going to the moon does not have much point. What do we get from it?

• Moderators

They are only in a helmet when they are outside the space station. When they are inside the station (which is 99% of the time) they don't have anything on except their regular cloths, so sujjud is very possible.

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Veteran Member

They are only in a helmet when they are outside the space station. When they are inside the station (which is 99% of the time) they don't have anything on except their regular cloths, so sujjud is very possible.

Some might raise questions because of the lack of gravity but, really, these questions don't really serve any purpose. The spirit of the prayer is servitude to God and, though there is a specific method to them, that is still the main point. We don't need to hypothesise about Muslims in space when we already have rulings about performing your duties to the best of your ability. I don't need to hypothesise about astronauts and helmets when the Imams have clearly instructed us that if one is sick or otherwise unable to perform prayer in the regular manner, or can't get up, or unable to prostrate or perform any other action in the normal way, you do it as best you can, whether it be by bowing only your head to signify ruku' or by simply moving your eyes to indicate Sajdah. So, if someone is dressed up in a space suit and floating around in space, he can still pray through only the movement of his eyes.

• Veteran Member

i think this is one of the proofs that humanity will never go from planet earth to other planets, because Ka'bah is what grounds us , we cannot be in Islam without it , hence we wont be able to leave earth without leaving it 

That is rather ridiculous and a 1000 years ago, akin to saying that we can never leave Hijaz because that is where the Ka'bah is and we cannot be in Islam without it. My, the Prophet didn't know any better to leave being right next to the Ka'ba and migrating to a city where he could not see it and only point in its direction from hundreds of miles away, for was the migration not the same as leaving it behind (according to your definition)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

You are not required to perform salat because you are on a journey

That is not right, man! Salat is obligatory in any circumstances, even for the drowning person who is going to die in a few seconds!

According to my marja, Salah in space isn't mandatory

I really want to know who your marja' is?

• Veteran Member

(salam),

You are not required to perform salat because you are on a journey

Uhh, what? First, you are required to perform Salaah at all times, even during war. Second, you are only allowed to shorten certain prayers while on a journey. The obligation to perform Salaah is never completely lifted. 

Also because proper wudu is probably impossible

In which case, you will perform Tayammum. The International Space Station even has two toilets in it. 

• Advanced Member

All of this sounds crazy to me.

On the day of judgement Allah is gonna punish somebody because he didn't perform salat while he/she was in space ?

Really ?

Knock it off.

I mean this is  not what Islam is all about. Do you really think the Creator of the Universe is so concerned with salat that He would punish someone for not performing obligations that are nigh impossible to perform ? On top of all the other things an astronaut has to worry about whilst in space just to survive that type of environment such as gravity,cosmic rays, meteors the fact that he/she must be moving at incredible speeds around the globe and the fact that it must be , at the least, incredibly disorienting.........

Just give praise man for crying out loud.

Wudu in space

salat in space

This is along the lines of something I was just thinking about which is that reason dictates that there are some things that due to the fact that they are so far outside of the normal human experience they don't fit into the normal categories of fiqh. One simply cannot compare, for instance , the situation of a farmer going about his daily business to the situation of a person in space. Yes both are required to praise Allah but they can't possibly do so in the same manner. They may have the same principles in common but they cannot practice the same ritual. The farmer may be able to stop tilling his fields wash up and perform salat but the man in space will clearly have to do something different even though they are both worshiping Allah. This is just basic common sense.

The Muslim in space should simply do the best he can and leave the rest in the hands of Allah. Trying to sort out the technicalities is just senseless........

• Advanced Member

All of this sounds crazy to me.

On the day of judgement Allah is gonna punish somebody because he didn't perform salat while he/she was in space ?

Really ?

Knock it off.

I mean this is  not what Islam is all about. Do you really think the Creator of the Universe is so concerned with salat that He would punish someone for not performing obligations that are nigh impossible to perform ? On top of all the other things an astronaut has to worry about whilst in space just to survive that type of environment such as gravity,cosmic rays, meteors the fact that he/she must be moving at incredible speeds around the globe and the fact that it must be , at the least, incredibly disorienting.........

Just give praise man for crying out loud.

Wudu in space

salat in space

This is along the lines of something I was just thinking about which is that reason dictates that there are some things that due to the fact that they are so far outside of the normal human experience they don't fit into the normal categories of fiqh. One simply cannot compare, for instance , the situation of a farmer going about his daily business to the situation of a person in space. Yes both are required to praise Allah but they can't possibly do so in the same manner. They may have the same principles in common but they cannot practice the same ritual. The farmer may be able to stop tilling his fields wash up and perform salat but the man in space will clearly have to do something different even though they are both worshiping Allah. This is just basic common sense.

The Muslim in space should simply do the best he can and leave the rest in the hands of Allah. Trying to sort out the technicalities is just senseless........

Calm down, brother. 

We aren't here to fight, we are here to find the truth. I listen to you and you listen to me, then we choose the better statement.

I believe that Salat isn't a reward that we have to pay to Allah, nor it is a mission that we have to accomplish day in day out.

Salat is our only way to survive our journey from the material world, to the spiritual salvation and eternal happiness. If we don't do it, we will lose our main source of spirituality.

A correct and acceptable Salat cleans the soul, and revives it.

So we need it, no matter what we do. But, the merciful Allah didn't give an inflexible ritual as our way to survival, He made it flexible, so that we can perform it in any circumstance.

Imam Hussein A.S. performed his Salat, while he was being attacked by the cruel arrows of evil enemies. He could have just skipped the Salat, but who knows what would happened to his perfect and pure soul.

We all know how difficult it is to go to space, maybe not exactly, but we too have seen "Gravity!" Do you believe that the situation in space is more difficult than that of Imam Hussein's?

If a Muslim goes to space, but skips his Salat, then what is his goal in life? To find the eternal happiness in Akhirah, or to make an advancement for his mortal flesh and skin that will rot in some years?

For us, human beings, Salat is the oxygen of our souls. Can an astronaut forget to fill their oxygen tank, before taking a spacewalk? Can they stop eating, just because they have to survive the "gravity,cosmic rays and meteors ..." or stop drinking water because they have to focus on their studies and researches?

Of course, they have a special type of Salat, and before it, they have to see if they can make wudu or tayammum.

And to know what they have to do, there are mujtahids, who have the responsibility of supporting them in their spiritual journey, just how the technical team helps them through their material journey.

FYI, Imam Hussein's Salat in the day of Ashura wasn't a normal Salat either, it was a special type of Salat for the time of war, called Salat Khawf, or the Salat of Fear, maybe!

• Advanced Member

I know Grand Ayatollah Khomenini when returning to Iran from exile to France he prayed in the Plane which would be a bit more complicated since it moves much faster. So I'm sure there would be a similar principle.

Actually I guess our problem is more severe than that case. The angle at which he should have prayed would have only rotated for almost 30 degrees throughout the flight, which was more than 2-3 hours. So during his 10-minute prayer it would have only changed 1 or 2 degrees.

On the other hand the International space station would go around the earth in 90 minutes, so in 5 minutes of prayer, an astronaut would move one eighteenth of the earth, which is a long way!

• Advanced Member

They dont pray on earth how the hell do you expect them to pray in space... Anyhow because of your distant from earth, as long as you face earth you can continue, the universes run on magnetic fields, something like this could be used to keep alignment?