Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Poor Jokes [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

The joke was lost when you made it Russian. Polish names are a mess of consonants. Thats the key behind the joke. Russian names are beautiful and flow very nicely; they generally don't have a bunch of consonants in quick succession.

Dear bro killjoy and others.

I did not invent this joke. I took it from the web. Besides, most people are not experts on Russian/Polish/Czech names. So it works for them.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read a Jewish joke the other day (it went something along the lines of:) A rabbi and a taxi driver arrive at the gates of heaven, an angel comes to greet them and immediately ushers the taxi dr

two sodium atoms walking down a street   atom 1: oh no.... searching his pockets...... i lost an electron atome 2: are you sure? atom 1: i am positive.

Told in the mosque by the imam: A flood came and a man climbed a tree. A truck came by and offered the man a ride and the man said, "no thanks, Allah will help me". The water rose and a boat

Posted Images

• Veteran Member

Nain. It depends on people not being PhDs in East European namonology. The joke's language (English) indicates its target audience.

Most jokes involving nationality and ethnicity are heavily dependent on ignorant stereotypes. But we still laugh at them no?

Edited by Marbles
typo
  • Forum Administrators
12 hours ago, hameedeh said:

Looked Greek to me. :grin:

Why is ε afraid of ζ?
Because ζ η θ.

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Nain. It depends on people not being PhDs in East European namonology. The joke's language (English) indicates its target audience.

Most jokes involving nationality and ethnicity are heavily dependent on ignorant stereotypes. But we still laugh at them no?

You truly don't concede one inch ever, do you?

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, Marbles said:

But stereotypes need to resonate somewhere. if you replace Polish with Russian, why not replace it with Chinese (Chinese people generally have one syllable names)? Is the joke just as valid because English speakers are ignorant about other nationalities' names?

No, it's not. In order for jokes to resonate, there must be some sort of underlying truth that it expresses. I can't just invent a stereotype in my imagination and then use it as a basis for a joke.

• Veteran Member

^ Yes, English speakers are generally ignorant about foreign names. You just said it. The person who invented the joke didn't know better. Just replace Russian with Polish to make it work for you.

In any case its not about validity. No joke that stereotypes people for nationality/ethnicity/race is valid. It's a matter of what works with a given set of people. For instance Japanese and Chinese jokes are treated as one in my culture. We as a people generally don't know the difference. So those jokes work for us. Then there are plenty of funny jokes with logical and factual errors; then there are those people find offensive. You can't please everyone.

• Development Team

5 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

A woman goes ballistic at her daughter's preschool, screaming "You promised that you would be gluten-free!" , the culprit behind her seemingly random rage?  Her daughter found glue in the three.

I guess nobody got my joke. 

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Marbles said:

I just received a message from the Russian man who went to the ophthalmologist.

He says his cousin is Polish.

:thankyou:

• Veteran Member
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 2:00 AM, baradar_jackson said:

So the joke is dependent on people being ignorant?

Almost. Ignorant people are a joke on themselves.

:muslima::

Question: What do you say to your sister after her infant keeps her up all night?

Answer: Have a good day.

• Forum Administrators
19 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Jibby these culture-less communists have killed the joke so bad I just read al fateha for it

No no no. Shared meanings is what culture is all about.  If I talked about 'wearing Nikes to battle' you would laugh wouldn't you?*

The fact that the truncated form of the joke has meaning for us shows that we have a little sub-culture developing here.

* p.s. I'd add that such memes and tropes are an essential element of Shia culture (northern India anyway).

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Veteran Member

In the early seventies, two playwrights collaborated on a satire about Fyodor Dostoyevsky called “The Idiots Karamazov.” In their liberal interpretation of Dostoyevsky, Father Zosima is a gay foot fetishist. Which causes the angelic monk Alyosha to wonder, “How can there be a God if there are feet?” 

• Veteran Member
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2015 at 0:49 AM, Marbles said:

My friend told me he had the body of a Greek god. I had to explain to him that Buddha is not Greek.

Looking back to see if a particular person had posted in this thread, I saw this and was reminded of a high school girl I had in class.

There was this astronomical explosion and resulting dust cloud --like the Horsehead Nebula of the 1930s (I read the date somewhere. accurate?)

So the kids tell me she is running around school telling everyone that it was the face of Jesus. Could I do anything about that. I said that I hadn't seen the picture but if I say anything none of them were to react in any way.

Girl comes into class and says this to me showing the picture. I asked, 'Seriously, Miss, Haven't you ever been to an art museum?" She answered in the affirmative and I asked, "Doesn't this look about exactly as a Buddha?"

She quietly went and sat down. Gotta give the other kids credit. They never made a sound.