Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
-Enlightened

Doing Tayamum Instead Of Wudhu

Rate this topic

Salam Alaikom

I know this post is long, but if you read till the end, it won't be more than 1 minute of reading =D

A lot of time when I am in school , it is nearly impossible to do wudhu with water. Not only the people look at me in a strange way, but it is also extremely time consuming to remove my socks, and put them back and remove my Hijab (For the water to touch the scalp) and put it back etc.  

Also, water falls around the floor and sink and I often have to stay and clean up with papers because there is no towel, it makes a huge mess . ( although i never spit water, i make wudhu in a clean way -_- , i often clean on behalf of others to keep a proper image of islam  )

In high school, there was a rule that forbade us to perform wudhu in the toilet because the  sisters kept spreading water around the floor without cleaning. We were also forbidden from praying. 

If you have ever been in a girls bathroom, you will notice that girls only enter in crowds, never in solo . For that reason, I often wait  behind the bathroom til everyone goes out so I can have my own Wudhu peace. There was a girl who got suspicious of me waiting till everyone goes out, so she asked ''Are you planing an attack?'' :donno:

The wudhu has caused me to have Anxiety.  I would call it Anxiety Wudhu Phobia disorder. I rather pray qadha at home than doing wudhu at school (and praying in school).  I thought a lot about it and asked, why not doing tayamum?

Doing tayammum would save so much problems. It only takes 15 seconds to do , as i dont need to wipe my feet or my scalp or my arms with water. So i do not need to take my sleeves up or open my hijab and socks etc.

I just wipe half the face and my two hands.  =)  

IS it acceptable to perform tayammum?  The Quran (5:3) says ''if it is not a burden''  but a verse about ramadan also says ''we do not wish you to be burdened'' however, nearly everyone is burdened during ramadan, :huh:

Anyway, I dont know the exact interpretation of the verse, but I would interpret it as yes, i may do tayamum. What do other think? 

Edited by -Enlightened

No, if water is available to you, you have to use it to do your wudhu. Just think of how much reward you are getting inshaAllah by performing wudhu under these circumstances every day to please Allah! :) Trust me it will be worth it, and before you know it, all this will be a memory anyway when you are done with school. 

Thank you everyone, the quran answers after i have researched :

The verse mentions tayamum and specifies the conditions :

-when travelling on a road and there is not enough water

-being ill and cannot use water

-being in contact with women and having no water for janabah. The verse clarified women, not men! So hadith must be looked in depht for that.

To muhammad taha, thanks for your reply but my marja does not matter when asking this universal islamic question ,in fact, its a shame that all shia scholars differ between each other..i can also get my itjihad and formulate my opinion..if the marja answer was truly from the quran and hadith, then no marjaa would differ

Salamun alaykum

Your considerable anxiety over wudhu and generally the religion is admirable.

The verse you mentioned is the 6th of the chapter Al-Maidah:

يأيها الذين ءامنوا إذا قمتم إلى الصلوة فاغسلوا وجوهكم و أيديكم إلى المرافق و امسحوا برءوسكم و أرجلكم إلى الكعبين و إن كنتم جنبا فاطهروا  و إن كنتم مرضى أو على‏ سفر أو جاء أحد منكم من الغائط أو لامستم النساء فلم تجدواْ ماء فتيممواْ صعيدا طيبا فامسحوا بوجوهكم و أيديكم منه  ما يريد الله ليجعل عليكم من حرج و لكن يريد ليطهركم و ليتم نعمته عليكم لعلكم تشكرون

O you who have faith! When you stand up for prayer, wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe a part of your heads and your feet, up to the ankles. If you are junub, purify yourselves. But if you are sick, or on a journey, or any of you has come from the toilet, or you have touched women, and you cannot find water, then make tayammum with clean ground and wipe a part of your faces and your hands with it. Allah does not desire to put you to hardship, but He desires to purify you, and to complete His blessing upon you so that you may give thanks. (5/6)

As I searched the fatwa books, your situation is not mentioned and also there is no general rule and justifications for doing tayammum in such case. Tayammum has some particular situations mostly related to not having water.

Moreover, taqhiya may be a good justification but it seems that your situation is not as difficult as taqhiya to perform tayammum. Being looked in a strange way is not completely compatible with the taqhiya.

On the other hand, time consuming wudhu would not be a reason for tayammum unless you don’t have time. So if you are in a shortage of time and you don’t have enough time to make wudhu, you can do tayammum instead. As a jurisprudential discussion you can postpone your wudhu until you are in shortage of time so then you can do tayammum. In this case your tayammum and your salāt is correct but you’ve committed the sin of postponing wudhu.

You mentioned that making wudhu and performing prayer is forbidden in some schools. If that is your situation and they may dismiss you when notice, so you will have a good reason for tayammum. But I think that is a rare case.

Then keep in mind that you should perform your prayers and you never can ignore it and say I will do qadha. Even if you are not allowed to perform in complete way so as much as possible whether toward qiblah or not, whether in standing or moving, whether with ruku and sujud or by signing or implying with gesture or fingers.

Finally if I were you I would try making wudhu in advance like when I was at home.

To muhammad taha, thanks for your reply but my marja does not matter when asking this universal islamic question ,in fact, its a shame that all shia scholars differ between each other..i can also get my itjihad and formulate my opinion..if the marja answer was truly from the quran and hadith, then no marjaa would differ

Salamun alaykum

Well as you know whether to ask a universal question or a personal, what marja tells us are indeed the answers of Islam deducing from Quran and hadith. But why we see differences between edicts?

Some detailed edicts are not mentioned in the Quran, so we should refer to our tradition and hadith. But when we go throw ahādith we notice some differences even between ahādith. There are some main reason for differences in ahādith which lead to different edicts by marāje. Here I mention some main reasons:

1.     For the Shi'is, the imams had to dissimulate (taqiyya) due to the purported dangers to their lives. This was a major contributory factor that led to the differences in traditions from the imams. In this situation they refused to express the shi‘i fatwa in that regard and instead they were introducing opposite edicts to save the followers life.

Zurara is reported to have noted that Muhammad al-Baqir (as) gave three conflicting answers to the same question posed by him and two other disciples from Kufa. When Zurara questioned the Imam about the different responses, Imam al-Baqir (as) is reported to have said, "O Zurara, this is better for us and [more conducive] to our and your survival. If you [all] agreed on a matter, people would have believed you and [thereby] followed us. That [would have meant] less [chances of] survival for us and you."

2.     The differences reported between the disciples and the imams combined with the differences among the disciples themselves may have contributed to the proliferation of contradictory hadith. According to the Shi'i biographer Kashshi (d. 978), disciples like Abu al-Khattab (d. 755), an alleged extremist, had differed from the imams on ritual issues whereas others like Zurara, Muhammad b. Muslim, and Hisham b. al-Hakam (d. 807) had allegedly held variant theological views. The disciples' personal interpretation of the teachings of the imams led them to maintain distinct legal/theological views.

3.     Various extremist groups are accused of interpolating the traditions of the imams. It is affirmed that some people were paid to interpolate different hadiths and ideas into shia tradition to destroy the shi‘i fundamentals.

4.     There are some other reasons which I ignore them to have a shorter post.

Well however sometimes marāje conclude different edicts due to the situations I explained above and some other time due to their different principles of jurisprudence and etc which needs more explanations.

So now if one wants to deduce a fatwa from ahādith s/he should study a variety of subjects to recognize and rely on a valid authentic hadith. S/he should study Quran and its commentaries, Islamic jurisprudence, Shi'i biographical texts, Islamic history, Arabic literature, and so many other fields which take more than even 20 years to get the basics. That’s why you see marāje like Ayatullah Khamenei or Ayatullah Sistani dedicate their life to Islamic studies and devote a great time to jurisprudence.

It is easy to claim that “I get my ijtihad and formulate my opinion” but actually ijtihad is not just looking at the translation of Quran and check what implies. To have a correct ijtihad man should study all related ahādith comparing them to each other and then deducing a fatwa as Islamic principles.

Finally to clarify the situation, I explain two more points:  

First: generally the differences between fatwas of marāje is less that 20 percent and different marāje don’t equal different doctrines in main jurisprudential rules. What makes them different is some small detailed edicts.

Second: different marāje do not contradict each other i.e. you cannot claim that whoever follows other marja is wrong while no one can acclaim who is the most learned, so the two marjas are at the same level of knowledge.

Salaam,

Im sorry to hear about your situation, but i hope Allah swt makes things easier for you inshallah, becuase you have a good intention of praying for Him, so dont let that go :). My personal opinion about the wudhu is to do it before you leave for school. As for prayer go outside or in a nearby park or just open grass and pray there.

Bismillah.

Salaam sister.

A solution came to my mind which is religiously recommended too; you can make your Wudhu in your home and keep it till the time of prayer. Being with Wudhu in every minute of your life is so recommended in Islam.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Salaam Enlightened,

I can completely relate, with the whole "awkward situation". Girls, can be quite nosy, and they will just stare at you in awe, and what's probably going through their mind: "Woah! you have hair? All this time I thought you were bald". Well, at least that's what someone once insinuated when they saw me making wudhu in the bathroom. 

I learned to just let it be. Of course, I usually prefer to make wudhu without the presence of others, so I go to the 5th floor of the Uni. library, it's known as the "quiet floor". (Most people don't go there.) However, they stilllllll GO TO THAT BATHROOM  :dry: ...

The reason, I feel uncomfortable is not really because they will think what I am doing is strange, but because it's uncomfortable when they are staring at you because "you have hair!  :mellow: " ... And who knows, if they may spread the info to others..

It's just plain creepy.  :mellow:

Either way, I believe the most adequate option is: to keep wudhu from home. OR, sometimes if I see that the situation is too crowded in the bathroom (meaning, all girls are at the sink: fixing their makeup/hair) then, I keep a bottled water with me and I make wudhu with that.

(wasalam) 

Salam Alaikom

I know this post is long, but if you read till the end, it won't be more than 1 minute of reading =D

A lot of time when I am in school , it is nearly impossible to do wudhu with water. Not only the people look at me in a strange way, but it is also extremely time consuming to remove my socks, and put them back and remove my Hijab (For the water to touch the scalp) and put it back etc.  

Also, water falls around the floor and sink and I often have to stay and clean up with papers because there is no towel, it makes a huge mess . ( although i never spit water, i make wudhu in a clean way -_- , i often clean on behalf of others to keep a proper image of islam  )

In high school, there was a rule that forbade us to perform wudhu in the toilet because the  sisters kept spreading water around the floor without cleaning. We were also forbidden from praying. 

If you have ever been in a girls bathroom, you will notice that girls only enter in crowds, never in solo . For that reason, I often wait  behind the bathroom til everyone goes out so I can have my own Wudhu peace. There was a girl who got suspicious of me waiting till everyone goes out, so she asked ''Are you planing an attack?'' :donno:

The wudhu has caused me to have Anxiety.  I would call it Anxiety Wudhu Phobia disorder. I rather pray qadha at home than doing wudhu at school (and praying in school).  I thought a lot about it and asked, why not doing tayamum?

Doing tayammum would save so much problems. It only takes 15 seconds to do , as i dont need to wipe my feet or my scalp or my arms with water. So i do not need to take my sleeves up or open my hijab and socks etc.

I just wipe half the face and my two hands.  =)  

IS it acceptable to perform tayammum?  The Quran (5:3) says ''if it is not a burden''  but a verse about ramadan also says ''we do not wish you to be burdened'' however, nearly everyone is burdened during ramadan, :huh:

Anyway, I dont know the exact interpretation of the verse, but I would interpret it as yes, i may do tayamum. What do other think? 

Salaam,

Is there a private restroom, perhaps in the handicap bathrooms, that you can use? As others have mentioned, I think you have to use water, if enough is available. See, one thing with hardships is that once you do it enough times, it often becomes easier. People will get used to it, and come to think nothing of it, in shaa'llah. Whenever you do wudhu, think of Imam Husayn and how they tortured our A'immah (as). That shall give you more courage.

If I may quote a non-Muslim here:

“The more real you get the more unreal the world gets. ”

-John Lennin

------------

Understand that MANY have called our Prophets and Imams crazy and magicians, etc. The closer you get to haqq, it will look crazy to the general populace.

Personally, when I started learning about the faith, I wasn't too confident. After I started learning more, I cared lesser and lesser what others thought. Reflect on that a bit.

Edited by NaveenHussain