Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Lordofgemini

Brothers Or Sisters First?

Rate this topic

Is there any rule that sisters are supposed to be married first in Islam. Because my dad says first your sisters then you, giving an Islamic reference???

2-4 years age gap.

I want a detailed response please ^_^

And are there any hadith related to this.

Is there any rule that sisters are supposed to be married first in Islam. Because my dad says first your sisters then you, giving an Islamic reference???

2-4 years age gap.

I want a detailed response please ^_^

And are there any hadith related to this.

I haven't heard any thing in Islam about what your father said.

Actually if he claimed something and attributed that to Islam he must give references for that !!

(FYI attributing something to Islam, considered bid'ah (innovation) which is unanimously haram)

والسلام علیکم 

Yes, he claimed that Agha in Jummah khutbah said so. If anything I haven't heard him say anything wrong. I highly respect the agha.

So are there any Tradition that back this up.

Other wise asking the agha directly will be a good idea.

(salam)

I have not heard of such a thing in Islam either, but it is a general custom in many parts of Arabic world (and I believe in Islamic world as well) that first the oldest child should be married, than the second one, and so on... It is also a widespread belief in some areas that girls should be married as soon as possible, i.e. immediately after they enter puberty, and I have even been told once (by a mother of the girl) that every day that a girl who has had her first menstruation stays at home, each that day is counted as a sin for her father... 

Though the majority of Muslims do not have that kind of exaggerated notions, in many regions it is a custom to marry the daughters as soon as they come of age, and before the sons, as it is considered to be beneficial for the girls somehow... I think those beliefs go back to pre-islamic times, and are also part of ethnic customs, that got mixed up with the religion over the centuries.

I am not sure I have helped you with this, but I thought it might be rather something like this - a custom rather than a religion.

(wasalam)  

(salam)

Shia Islam does not dictate that sisters need to be married before brothers, logically how would that even make sense with large age gaps between siblings. What Islam recommends is that believers (male and female) should marry when they are young if they can, to prevent sin.

As girls become become baligh sooner (and arguably mature faster) they may be ready for marriage before their male counterparts. However the idea that girls should be married before their brothers or before a certain age is not Islamic but traditional mostly stemming from the Arab and subcontinent regions. Unfortunately this is rooted from the notion that girls are a depreciating asset and as they increase in age, their chances of securing a suitable husband materially decreases. This is due to various factors like a decrease in beauty, an increase in independence and dowry issues which can all make an older female less desirable in the 'marriage market'. 

Of course a lot of people don't have those views per say but have simply grown accustomed to the idea that girls should be married off as soon as possible because that is the cultural and regional norm and hence they misconceive it as a religious ruling when it is not. 

(wasalam)

Edited by *Sayyeda*

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum.

Anyhow, there is a general rule applicable to every Muslim boy and girl; the person who is in fear that will commit sin, except s/he gets married, to get married is obligatory (Wājīb) on him/her; regardless whether s/he has elder brothers or sisters or not and regardless of anything.

With Duas.

Narsis.

I never heard any islamic hadithes or anything but its a tradition which your country have build up... Or he wants you to find a job and earn money to proof him that you are ready to get married . While your sister which is pretty common in your country that they will live in a house and become house wife. so what i can think of was that .