Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ksot91

Mutah An Mahr

Rate this topic

Salam,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am still trying to learn more about Islam and the brother I was in Mutah with is the person that introduced me to Islam. He paid the mahr and now is asking me to return the money because the relationship has ended. Can he ask for the mahr in return?

If he was planning on giving me the money for another reason. Say he was gonna help me pay some expenses. But at the time we met in order to get the money he gave it to me as the mahr. And the marriage was consummated. Does it still count as the mahr or not?

It doesn't matter what you used the money for - mehr is yours to do with as you please. Mehr is not a loan. And if consummated, you owe him nothing.

He is not doing a good job of introducing you to Islam - either he is clueless or he is an opportunist. Neither are great qualities.

Is this the same man?  http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235018115-advice-to-a-new-convert-on-marriage-and-children/?p=2640465?

Edited by Maryaam

Yes actually. The mahr was initially meant for some expenses he had no intention of giving me money for mahr but when we did Mutah he gave me the money as the mahr instead. Now he is asking me to return the money he gave me. I figured the easier thing to do to get rid of him was give him the money although I don't feel like I owe him anything because it was given to me it wasn't taken as a loan. Now this sister he is with is asking me to return his money even though she has no claim to it and when he decided to use the money as mahr I thought it meant he had no claim to it either since the marriage was consummated.

Sweets,

You are not bound to return the Mahr according to Sharia as the marriage was consummated. He has no claim on it nor does anyone else. He was the one who fixed the money paid for expenses as Mahr.

Edited by Sapphire

Salam,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I am still trying to learn more about Islam and the brother I was in Mutah with is the person that introduced me to Islam. He paid the mahr and now is asking me to return the money because the relationship has ended. Can he ask for the mahr in return?

Salamun alaykum

It is really great that you are still learning more about Islam and I admire that. Whether you have that relation or not, learning will benefit you and I hope you’ll get reward for that.

What you asked has different situations due to the ambiguity in your question and what “Sapphire” said is only one part of your answer although it is correct. I try to convey the complete answer as I know so sorry for using the exact terms in advance.

First situation: the husband gives his wife the period of marriage as a gift i.e. he grants her the rest of the time which is left till the expiration date of that temporary marriage. In this case if there was intercourse he should give her all the things he agreed to give but if there was not intercourse so he would give her half the amount of Mahr.

Second situation: the specified time of temporary marriage came to its end and is over. In this case he should give all Mahr to her whether there was intercourse or not.

Third situation: there is conflict and contest between them and they separate each other while they are in marriage and the time has not ended. This case has a different edict and they should divide the Mahr in a spatial rule regarding the time they were together and the time they refused to be with each other and leaved.

Edited by followers