Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Night_Inshallah

Muslimahs Got Scammed!

Rate this topic

1. http://www.imfw2014.com/#!imfw/c2414

The so called International Muslimah Fashion Week that was supposed to be held in Hershey, Pennsylvania turn out to be a scam.
    I can't post the link here from facebook but there is video. People who had checked in early were made to leave the hotel. They stopped letting people check in. Designers had flew in from London and was trying to set up their booth and the hotel didn't know what they were talking about. One sister even flew in from Indonesia. 

All this just happened last night. Drama and speculation has been popping off on Facebook & Instagram.
    http://www.imfw2014.com/#!imfw/c2414

I KNEW something was fishy from the beginning.
    1. Who in their right mind would have an event for Muslims in Hershey, Pennsylvania? All the Muslims are in Philly?!
    If anything this event would have drawn a larger crowd had it been in a major metro area (Detroit, NY, DC, ATL, Miami).

2. The ticket prices were OUTRAGEOUS! We talking $300 and that didn't even include the hotel room!

3. A couple of months before, 3 large headliners (YaztheSpaz, Babylalialov, Author Zara J) all pulled out but could not comment as to why. Being that all 3 had some coins, if they said anything negative (and caused people to run, lol) they could have gotten sued for defamation. 

In the end, there will be no recompense. One of the organizers turned out to be a low level thief from Atlanta, GA (her mugshot was posted last night). So if anything the poor people can call the credit card company and file a claim for their even ticket. But some people spend thousands to come to this po'dunk town in Pennsylvania.

this is tragic! those poor people who actually paid so much for a ticket, and shame on that fraud woman for lying her way into getting people's hard-earned money...she must have no shame...and that poor sister who flew in from Indonesia.... :no:​ ...and you're right it did sound suspect from the beginning like them hosting it at Pennsylvania...i never heard many Muslims or even Arabs lived there , who ever planned it was sure did not think right. if it was hosted at Florida, NJ, CA or Dearborn or other places with large middle eastern comminity it would have more beliefe to it.

hey OP, u didn't pay for a ticket did u??

Edited by Mlle. Advice

this is tragic! those poor people who actually paid so much for a ticket, and shame on that fraud woman for lying her way into getting people's hard-earned money...she must have no shame...and that poor sister who flew in from Indonesia.... :no:​ ...and you're right it did sound suspect from the beginning like them hosting it at Pennsylvania...i never heard many Muslims or even Arabs lived there , who ever planned it was sure did not think right. if it was hosted at Florida, NJ, CA or Dearborn or other places with large middle eastern comminity it would have more beliefe to it.

hey OP, u didn't pay for a ticket did u??

Lol, there are TONS of Muslims in Philly....just not many Shi'a or Arabs.  Why would it need to have a large Arab population when most Muslims in the USA are either black or South Asian...

Edited by Fatima Hussain

(bismillah) 

(salam)

What ever happend to being modest and humble? I too think of Hijab as a means to help elevate and liberate women. To not make them out to be tools or objects for others desires? To portray an Image that Musilmahs are actually worth something and way more valuable to society than a face whos goal is to draw the attention of men? I do not think it is wrong to wear makeup for a Muslim sister but what would have been the purpose of such a fashion contest in the first place even if it was not a scam? Would it have been a competition of which girl looked better than the other? If so then shame on the Muslims who joined and paid and shame on the scammers as well.   

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

What ever happend to being modest and humble? I too think of Hijab as a means to help elevate and liberate women. To not make them out to be tools or objects for others desires? To portray an Image that Musilmahs are actually worth something and way more valuable to society than a face whos goal is to draw the attention of men? I do not think it is wrong to wear makeup for a Muslim sister but what would have been the purpose of such a fashion contest in the first place even if it was not a scam? Would it have been a competition of which girl looked better than the other? If so then shame on the Muslims who joined and paid and shame on the scammers as well.   

(wasalam)

Hold your horses, dude. Have you ever had a chance to peek into a woman's brain to see what value they attach to their clothing, skin tone and hairdos? Muslimahs are women too, you know. And wouldn't they want to look anything more than a mass of shapeless black in public while still being modest, humble, covered? Of course, they would, and that's where good sartorial sense comes in. Put the fatwa back in the bag!

Hold your horses, dude. Have you ever had a chance to peek into a woman's brain to see what value they attach to their clothing, skin tone and hairdos? Muslimahs are women too, you know. And wouldn't they want to look anything more than a mass of shapeless black in public while still being modest, humble, covered? Of course, they would, and that's where good sartorial sense comes in. Put the fatwa back in the bag!

You're a guy.  Have you peeked into a woman's brain?  When were you given the title of spokesperson for the female gender?

Don't understand some of the judgemental comments on here - like people are looking for reasons to jump on sisters.  Fashion is a word with a broad connotation… and Muslim fashion can be quite distinct from mainstream due to preferences and modesty. Women are not always in public hijab.  They have reason to look their best for their home, for special occasions with family and especially for their husband. 

Edited by Maryaam

Don't understand some of the judgemental comments on here - like people are looking for reasons to jump on sisters.  Fashion is a word with a broad connotation… and Muslim fashion can be quite distinct from mainstream due to preferences and modesty. Women are not always in public hijab.  They have reason to look their best for their home, for special occasions with family and especially for their husband.

I will agree with this and add my own opinion:

I think western fashion is dominated by men, all i see in western fashion shows is women naked ,because men (other than their husband) told them to dress like that. I am 100% against western fashion!! Women should only be reserved to one man , not 100

But muslim fashion is dominated by woman. Its woman telling other woman to be modest and cover up with long dress. of course i am against the abused make up and tight clothing,but thats another thing.

Inayah collection is an example of muslim fashion. They sell long classic abayah, not too tight

Lol, there are TONS of Muslims in Philly....just not many Shi'a or Arabs. Why would it need to have a large Arab population when most Muslims in the USA are either black or South

Asian...

Lol ur right thanks 4 correcting me. I should have said Muslim communities in general & not specific to Arabs.

Good question.

The answer is: by listening to women and by understanding their perspective.

Just in case any Bros are tempted by the "I want to feel your pain" school of intra-gender communication - we've had complaints in the past by Sis about bros who've tried too hard with this angle.

Just in case any Bros are tempted by the "I want to feel your pain" school of intra-gender communication - we've had complaints in the past by Sis about bros who've tried too hard with this angle.

Well, brothers are advised to not go literal with 'feeling the pain'; only a bit of listening should be enough.

I think western fashion is dominated by men, all i see in western fashion shows is women naked ,because men (other than their husband) told them to dress like that. I am 100% against western fashion!! Women should only be reserved to one man , not 100

But muslim fashion is dominated by woman. Its woman telling other woman to be modest and cover up with long dress.

Actually alot of their ideas are inspired by westners too. They follow westners but they add more fabric to make it modest. Alot have played with the abaya, they have turned it into a dress or even a jumpsuit...

Alot of designers design styles for money and because the market is niche in this sector, not because they want woman to cover but also to catch up with style, yes am talking about muslim woman designers. It's usually westine designer that sit up the bars and everyone else follows,even muslim designer...