Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad Taha

Witnessing Allah In Everything

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

The Mystic is the one who witnesses Allah in everything. Imam Husayn (A.S) says:

O my Allah! Through the variety of Your signs (in the world of being) and the changes in states and conditions, I realized that the purpose is to make Yourself known to me in everything, so that I would not ignore You in anything. (The prayer of 'Arafah' in Mafatih al-Jinan)

Imam Ali (A.S) says: I saw nothing except that I saw Allah before it, with it and after it. (Al-Asfar vol. 1, p.117, vol. 4, p.479)

(bismillah)

The Mystic is the one who witnesses Allah in everything. Imam Husayn (A.S) says:

O my Allah! Through the variety of Your signs (in the world of being) and the changes in states and conditions, I realized that the purpose is to make Yourself known to me in everything, so that I would not ignore You in anything. (The prayer of 'Arafah' in Mafatih al-Jinan)

Imam Ali (A.S) says: I saw nothing except that I saw Allah before it, with it and after it. (Al-Asfar vol. 1, p.117, vol. 4, p.479)

What I understand from these quotes is not witnessing of Allah rather it is Allah existing in every thing and seeing Allah (not his glory or signs or power or ...) in every thing

So what does it mean " Allah in every thing" ? Isn't this kind of shirk (polytheism)?

Thank you in advance!

What I understand from these quotes is not witnessing of Allah rather it is Allah existing in every thing and seeing Allah (not his glory or signs or power or ...) in every thing

So what does it mean " Allah in every thing" ? Isn't this kind of shirk (polytheism)?

Thank you in advance!

It isn't the literal meaning of "seeing Allah in everything". It is much more complicated but the way I have been exposed to it is that any form of knowledge you gain, any event you see, any object you see will make you ponder upon the greatness of Allah. It is basically a continuous meditative state. I would explain it but that would require me to have a slightly lengthier time on my hands. Forgive me for my negligence.

والله اعلم

في امان الله

(bismillah)

(salam)

Dear friend,

Thank you for your questions.

My answers to some part of your questions would be as follows:

What I understand from these quotes is not witnessing of Allah

2) Verb with Object

If you witness something, you see it happen.

At least fifteen people witnessed the attack...(Narcis Dictionary Ver 6)

I understand that the understanding of this concept is not understandable for me and for you (easily), because it needs very high level of  purity and spirituality. But I think the following statements can be helpful:

*One person can see everything as the sign of Allah and as a manifestation of His power and grace. The true servants of Allah remaining totally mindful of Allah and they remember Him continuously. Islamic spirituality is perfectly Allah-centered. It is obvious that the vision in question,for Allah, the Almighty, is infinitely exalted beyond the range of the physical eye. The Shi'a unanimously believe that Allah cannot be seen by the physical eye, either in this world or in the hereafter.

*In some Islamic supplications an statements of A'immah (A.S) you can see somethings like these:

وَ أنِر أبصارَ قُلُوبِنا بضياء نَظرها إِِلَيك

وارزقني النظر الي وجهك الكريم

لا تحرمني النظر الي وجهك

هل رأيت ربّك؟ قال (علي عليه السلام): ما كنت اعبد ربّاً لم اره، قال: كيف رأيته؟ فقال (عليه السلام) ولكن رأت القلوب بحقائق الايمان، لم يره العيون بمشاهدة الابصار

Thank you again for your questions.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I understand that the understanding of this concept is not understandable for me and for you (easily), because it needs very high level of  purity and spirituality. But I think the following statements can be helpful:

(wasalam)

I think the ahadith which you have quoted in your posts, are similar to these : داخل فی الاشیا لا بالممازجه and this داخل‏ في‏ الأشياء لا كشي‏ء داخل في شي‏ء و خارج من الأشياء لا كشي‏ء خارج من شي‏ء- سبحان من هو هكذا و لا هكذا غيره‏

(as scholars of this field said so)

And according to the books which I read and scholars to whom I listened, these ahadith are referring to very deep, precise and accurate concept which I think a public website like SC is not an appropriate place for discussing or studying it. 

I heard that so many "pure and spiritual" scholars have severe argues on this concept and even excommunicate (accuse them of kufr) the other side of discussion, due to believing in this concept.

That's why I say: the translation of the ahadith that you quoted are not as simple as you did.      

(Narcis Dictionary Ver 6)

I don't know about your Dictionary but mine is different : 

v. tr.

To be present at or have personal knowledge of. To take note of.

To provide or serve as evidence of. See Synonyms at indicate.

To testify to; bear witness.

v. intr.

To furnish or serve as evidence; testify.

To testify to one's religious beliefs.

(American Heritage Dictionary 4th Edition)

So the meaning of "witness" is not completely equal to "see"  

Fee Amani Allah 

Edited by Malik.Ashtar

There isn't one correct way to interpret these sayings.  rather each individual will interpret them (the sayings in question) according to his or her own capacity.  The people who have a higher understanding of these sayings may even even sound wrong to those who have a limited understanding.  There are also people who think they have a higher understanding of these sayings but in fact do not have the level of understanding they think they have (they just wish they did).  

So we just have to ask God to increase our knowledge all the time just as the Prophet (S) asked!

indeed.

Allahu alim

Edited by eThErEaL

Thank you in advance!

Allah, in essence, can not be in everything.This plane of existence is merely real for our senses in our body. For our body, real things are, food, shelter, water, clothing. Allah isn't in these things as His Glorious Self. The main reason why Allah isn't in things or that things aren't Allah is given by the Quran in two verses;

''All that is on earth will perish''

''But will abide (for ever) the Face of thy Lord,- full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour.''

Now this is a fine line where you'll meet a lot of falsehood and truths. Because everything that has been said in this thread, in other threads, in books, in the history of islam, the history of the world about Allah is exactly this verse. Meaning, his face. What's his face? Is it like our face? Is it like an animal's face? What's a face really? Allah doesn't place words in his believers mouth for no apparent reason. He knows we think like this, angels know we think like this, the jinn know we think like this. Every sentient being in this universe knows that us humans can't NOT think about stuff that is said in a way that makes us think of other stuff. Hence why I brought it up.

Now ofcourse there are multiple ahadeeth that talk about this very issue. Some of them say Amir al Mumineen (as) is the apparent meaning of his ''face''. Some say the bounties of our worship are his ''face''. Some say his face just means ''glory''. But even if these things are true, what's glory? What are the bounties? What and who IS amir al mumineen (as) exactly?

Which is exactly what face is supposed to make you feel or think. Because it all comes down to one word; recognition.

Simple test. I say a name. Any name. John. Can you picture john? Know a john? Know somebody that knows a john? How about Husayn? Or Ahmad, I bet you know Ahmad. What's the first thing you see in your head as you're reading this sentence? These names? Exactly. A face. Many faces. Now think of a table. A shoe. Your favourite shoe. A meal perhaps? What does your mind see? The ''image/self/mindframe'' of the word I'm typing. The ''face'' of the word. The webster dictionairy literally says about the word face ''the way something appears when it is first seen or thought about''.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/face

Look at all the words surrounding the word. Countenance, presence, sight, means of identification. Similarly, the arabic word Wajh also has lots and lots of words and thoughts surrounding it.

Now back to Quran. What is it really saying? Look at the verse before that one ''Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?''

Can you count the favours if you are truly thankful of his bounties? Too many to count right? From water falling down a mountain..  to taste buds on your tongue. ''Everything'' is a blessing/favour from Allah. And ''everything'' will perish. Except for...

And this is exactly what the Imams (as) mean when they say

Imam Ali (A.S) says: I saw nothing except that I saw Allah before it, with it and after it.

It's recognition beyond a shroud of doubt. It's yaqeen, pure raw yaqeen. It's taqwa. It is faith and Islam in it's purest essence. It's the recognition of Allah's bounties and blessings and his names in everything created. It's the feeling you have when you know nothing else exists except Allah.

Just be aware that the usage of words and language may seem odd to those who haven't had the possibility to connect the dots yet.

Salaam Alaykum.

Edited by P. Ease

Salam

Everything is manifestation of consciousness.  Outer beauty is a manifestation of inner beauty as well as the artistic mind. Allah is the perfect mind behind the universe. All glory and greatness manifests an indivisible glory and intelligence in the universe. Allah is also light. His light is his intelligence as well. His beauty as well.  His light which his knowledge/wisdom manifests in the heavens and earth. There is also the fact that Allah is Perfection, and everything is partially towards perfection and partially towards non-existence.  In that sense, Allah is the light of the universe, but the universe is not the light of Allah, because Allah's light is beyond the universe.