Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
CLynn

Love -

Rate this topic

Love -
This may seem like a stupid question, but, I want to ask,
Does Islam teach love?
Now before I get jumped on for asking it, please to accept my explanation.  The reason I ask is because when talking to Muslims I have found many to get irritated at the mention of the word and the concept.  (note:  unless they are talking about their beloved Imams) 

So I am wondering if Islam teaches about love, and if so, what does it teach.
Shukran and salaam.

(wasalam)

There are many kinds of love... I'm assuming you are talking about love for your fellow man/woman or rather love for mankind in general.

One particular incident in the Quran mentions Imam Ali (as) and Lady Fatima's (as) boundless love and devotion for Allah's creation

http://www.al-islam.org/islamic-stories/nazr-vow-Allah-be-fulfilled

In short, when both their sons, Hassan (as) and Hussain (as) got very ill, Ali (as) and Fatima (as) made a vow (nazr) to fast for three days after they would get better. And most certainly, they got better. During each evening when the family would gather to break the fast, a needy person would knock at their door, and instantly the whole family gave away their entire food to that person. For three consecutive nights, they slept without any food whatsoever.

It was in appreciation of these sacrifices, that Almighty Allah revealed the whole 'Surah al-Dahr', which contains, among other things, the following Ayat:

“They (Ahlul Bait) fulfill vow and fear a day the evil of which shall be spreading far and wide” (Surah Al-Dahr, 76: Verse7)

This is just one among a plethora of recorded traditions and incidents which shows tremendous sacrifice in order to please Allah. Ask for more and we will be happy to quote more.

Love -

Does Islam teach love?

Now before I get jumped on for asking it, please to accept my explanation.  The reason I ask is because when talking to Muslims I have found many to get irritated at the mention of the word and the concept.  (note:  unless they are talking about their beloved Imams) 

Shukran and salaam.

I can't handle this. I need an Edward Said to deconstruct this.

It should be an easy question to answer.

Yes, you are right.

No, Islam doesn't teach love. It teaches violence and hatred of non-Muslims. Its followers act in accordance to the dictates of the Quran. You know, 'kill the unbelievers wherever you find them".

However, as a parenthetical aside, there are some exceptions when a Muslim might make use of this emotion called love. I repeat, read the following only as a postscript side-note.

The recipients of Muslim love have to special and very special. Hence only the Prophet and Imams deserve to be loved. Also, those who respect and side with Muslims may also be tolerated, like the anti-Zionist orthodox Jews and leftists like Chomsky and Finkelstein et al. A Muslim may hug them but he cannot marry them.

Hope you got the answer.

Edited by Marbles

Yes, you are right.

No, Islam doesn't teach love. It teaches violence and hatred of non-Muslims. Its followers act in accordance to the dictates of the Quran. You know, 'kill the unbelievers wherever you find them".

However, as a parenthetical aside, there are some exceptions when a Muslim might make use of this emotion called love. I repeat, read the following only as a postscript side-note.

The recipients of Muslim love have to special and very special. Hence only the Prophet and Imams deserve to be loved. Also, those who respect and side with Muslims may also be tolerated, like the anti-Zionist orthodox Jews and leftists like Chomsky and Finkelstein et al. A Muslim may hug them but he cannot marry them.

Hope you got the answer.

Greetings marbles,

I think you must be being sarcastic?

I do not hold these views, but I would like to know what Muslims say about love.

Shukran and salaam.

(wasalam)

There are many kinds of love... I'm assuming you are talking about love for your fellow man/woman or rather love for mankind in general.

One particular incident in the Quran mentions Imam Ali (as) and Lady Fatima's (as) boundless love and devotion for Allah's creation

http://www.al-islam.org/islamic-stories/nazr-vow-Allah-be-fulfilled

In short, when both their sons, Hassan (as) and Hussain (as) got very ill, Ali (as) and Fatima (as) made a vow (nazr) to fast for three days after they would get better. And most certainly, they got better. During each evening when the family would gather to break the fast, a needy person would knock at their door, and instantly the whole family gave away their entire food to that person. For three consecutive nights, they slept without any food whatsoever.

It was in appreciation of these sacrifices, that Almighty Allah revealed the whole 'Surah al-Dahr', which contains, among other things, the following Ayat:

“They (Ahlul Bait) fulfill vow and fear a day the evil of which shall be spreading far and wide” (Surah Al-Dahr, 76: Verse7)

This is just one among a plethora of recorded traditions and incidents which shows tremendous sacrifice in order to please Allah. Ask for more and we will be happy to quote more.

Greetings Praetorius,

Thank you.  Yes.  Please share more.

Can you give your own personal views and feelings about love, based from what you have learned?

It is very easy for me to talk about, and say what I feel about love.

Thanks.

Edited by CLynn

Yes, you are right.

Hope you got the answer.

Its funny because there actually isn't a verse in the Quran which says "kill the unbelievers wherever you find them". It says kill the mushrikeen (polytheists) wherever you find them in 9:5, but the People of the Book aren't considered 'mushrikeen' in Quranic terminology, both are a separate category. Another time where it says 'wherever you find them' its in 2:191 where the caveat is you have to fight those who fight you in 2:190, and later confirming who is the transgressor by continuing "and drive them out of their homes wherefrom they drove you out"

So that catchphrase 'wherever you find them' cant be used in this discussion :) . What concerns people is how dhimmis are to be treated and how muslims should act in general towards those non-muslims they live with in the realm of kufr.

Greetings,

Since the topic has gone a bit away from what I was actually asking, I want to try to provide a little more clarity.

What I am actually interested in is the concept of love within Islam.

You see, to me, I don't see much of a point to life without love.  It is love that makes life worth living.

I was thinking along these lines when I thought to ask the question, since the Muslims I talk to seem to be opposed to the idea of love.

asalamm.

A further illustration of my confusion which brings the question...

I often wonder if people in war torn parts of the world are so hardened as to not be able to love, or have they never loved, or are they not allowed to love, are they not taught to love, is not love the most natural human emotion?
... like when a mother is happy to see her sons killed as martyrs.  
I was just watching a movie the other night that illustrates the kind of relationship between a mother and son that I am used to... it was a movie(fictional) about the civil war in America and about the Quakers who were devout Christians who did not believe in taking up arms to fight.  The son decides that he can not sit by and allow his neighbors to be devastated when the war comes to their territory.  The mother does not want her son to go to war.  This to me is a natural reaction of a mother as regards her child... they do not want to let them go.... they do not want to lose them... they do not want them to die... This is love to me.

another illustration...

I do not know how the mothers in India bear their lives when their children... namely, when daughters are born, they are killed.  I can not imagine how a mother survives that.  Isn't it the most natural maternal instinct among all species, to protect their young?  I can not imagine how she would allow herself to get pregnant again and again... how painful, how unbearable that would be... What kind of life?

Edited by CLynn

Regarding people living in war zones or extreme poverty you might want to read up on PTSD, and especially it's effects on children.

How is this related to any religion's teachings on love?

Again, if you want to know what Islam teaches, I'd recommend look it up. Start with the Quran.

Regarding people living in war zones or extreme poverty you might want to read up on PTSD, and especially it's effects on children.

Again, if you want to know what Islam teaches, I'd recommend look it up. Start with the Quran.

Greetings notme,

I tried but I didn't have the energy... was hurting too much to spend that much time on computer... so I thought I'd 'talk' to people instead....

It's alot easier to walk away from, and come back to the forum when I am feeling better.  It's alot harder to keep a place of study on a website. :)

Anyway it's how people react about the topic that made me want to ask... and so only people can answer what their feelings they have derived from their teaching, or upbringing, are.

Blessings to you,

CLynn

This is the answer to your question only if you care to see.

http://www.ezsoftech.com/stories/love.in.islam.asp

Thank you Martyrdom.  I will try to read through it.  I have started and am part way.

Edited by CLynn

I can't continue this discussion without understanding what those scenarios of traumatized people in war or poverty have to do with religious teachings on love. Where are you coming from and what are you trying to say with these unrelated ideas? Help me connect them. I am totally at a loss.

I can't continue this discussion without understanding what those scenarios of traumatized people in war or poverty have to do with religious teachings on love. Where are you coming from and what are you trying to say with these unrelated ideas? Help me connect them. I am totally at a loss.

You are at a loss as the preface is a false leader into yet another condemnation of those non Christian barbarians who have committed atrocities in a war zone or within the non Christian backward culture, creating a precept that this is the world and value system of all non Christians - and it is devoid of "Christian" love.  They have not been taught love and their idea of love is violence.  And how can you live with yourself as you are not pure in thought and deed, like me…ummm... like….like Quakers…. :angel:  

I know you are at a loss, but I, on my lunch break :) …. I have related the ideas for you …. What I have learned from this poorly disguised attack, is that if “Christians” are love then “Christian” countries must feel and be spreading this love when supporting the bombing 100’s of 1000’s civilians – including the elderly, women, children – usually who are destitute to begin with, and callously call it collateral damage.  >>>>Oh well…

Or do you call it love when “Christian” soldiers rape and pillage and terrorize with impunity.  >>>>>>Sick … but lets not think about it and it will soon not be so …. :rolleyes:

Or do you call it love when a “Christian” government interferes with the existing political structure in a country to the point where there is mayhem, unrest, unemployment, poverty, starvation and disease – and then sanctions the people, of those countries, who have to claw out survival, against receiving repair goods, medicines, etc, so that they can then sweep in, like greedy bullies White Knights, and rob them of their natural resources and sense of autonomy… because they can… might is right (aka love)..  God bless 'em!

I think that must be what the message is here; that is genuine true love.  :!!!:  <--- specially inserted for you as you like it :)

Edited by Maryaam

Still waiting for answer. . . .

I see CLynn posting in other topics. Is the question so hard to answer? :angel:

Still waiting for answer. . . .

I see CLynn posting in other topics. Is the question so hard to answer? :angel:

Greetings notme,

Yes.  I spent time re-reading my earlier posts in this thread and I didn't know how to be any more clear.  I suppose I should have replied that to you.  I was giving it more time and thought I would come back to this later.  Sometimes God will speak an answer to me if I just wait. I usually only reply on His guidance.  Please accept my apologies for not replying earlier.

Salaam and blessings,

Clynn

That emoticon is mighty cute! :!!!:

I couldn't quite get past this post, because it had me smiling. :)

Edited by CLynn

How hard could it possibly be to explain to us how you managed to connect traumatic situations with religious teachings on love? You said yourself that you don't know how to be more clear, which communicates to me that the connection is perfectly clear to you. Please enlighten us because to all the others who have subsequently posted, these things seem completely unrelated.

If you can, that is. I have my doubts.

Is this what philosophers call a red herring? Or is a red herring something else and there is another name for asserting something based on unrelated matters then claiming the nonexistent relation is perfectly clear

Edited by notme

Sometimes God will speak an answer to me if I just wait. I usually only reply on His guidance.

I have doubts that God would guide you to a fallacy. Maybe you should pray about the origin of your guidance.

How hard could it possibly be to explain to us how you managed to connect traumatic situations with religious teachings on love?

Greetings notme,

As I said, I felt that I was as clear as I could be in my earlier posts.  It might help to re-read them, as I did.....

Can you give your own personal views and feelings about love, based from what you have learned?

It should be an easy question to answer.

It is very easy for me to talk about, and say what I feel about love.

You see, to me, I don't see much of a point to life without love.  It is love that makes life worth living.

I often wonder if people in war torn parts of the world are so hardened as to not be able to love, or have they never loved, or are they not allowed to love, are they not taught to love, is not love the most natural human emotion?

Isn't it the most natural maternal instinct among all species, to protect their young?

The mother does not want her son to go to war.  This to me is a natural reaction of a mother as regards her child... they do not want to let them go.... they do not want to lose them... they do not want them to die... This is love to me.

Anyway it's how people react about the topic that made me want to ask... and so only people can answer what their feelings they have derived from their teaching, or upbringing, are.

... end quotes from earlier posts...

asalaam,

CLynn

Edited by CLynn

"Religion is nothing but Love." Please read this Mr. CLynn. Perspectives on the Concept of Love in Islam.pdf

And "Hell yeah! Muslims can't be loving people! See how the western countries lovingly invade their lands, kill and displace them! But how the Muslims do not turn the other cheek! They say, they are peaceful, loving people. But they don't love hegemony and imperialism. They should love to be subserviant to devillish powers just like we are. Infidel Muslims!"

the thing is, Mr. CLynn, the Love Islam describes is not hypocrite. Supposing you are searching for the truth with no bias, but you never are, you can study it here:

http://www.al-islam.org/polarization-around-character-ali-ibn-abi-talib-ayatullah-murtadha-mutahhari/part-1-power-attraction (Part I of the book, Polarization Around the Character of Ali)

"Salaam and bessings"  :angel:

Edited by HamzaTR

Since Islam is a rational, logical religion, it does acknowledge love. It is, like you say, a basic human emotion and a very necessary one at that! I think what you're asking is, how do love and Islam intersect? My personal take on this would be how we've read about our Imams (as) who loved and hated for the SAKE of Allah, or Islam. Like Imam Ali (as), who said about his wife Hazrat Zahra (as) that he found her to be his best partner in Allah's worship. As a perfect human being, he loved her FOR the sake of Allah. Or even if you take other related emotions that are directed towards humans - like friendship, or anger - we are taught to employ those for the sake of Allah, too. 

What I understand from this is that if you truly accept and believe in Islam and its ideologies, then your criteria of love and hatred and friendship will be based on what Islam wants, because at the end of the day Islam is a way of life, and following Islam is the best possible way to live your life.

So you like someone because they are beloved to Allah. The ultimate goal is that your love for your God, prophets and religion should supersede every other emotion to the extent that it doesn't feel like 'sacrificing' anymore when you have to choose a pious, not-so-romantic guy over an irreligious, charming guy who you are very drawn towards. Note that I said ultimate goal - this is extremely hard to do, and this level has probably only been reached by the Infallibles and a few others. But we can strive towards that goal, and until then, we accept that sometimes we have to sacrifice something small to get something big. Heaven is a huge reward, after all - and something of that level would require sacrifices equally monumental.

Hope that helps!

... like when a mother is happy to see her sons killed as martyrs.  
I was just watching a movie the other night that illustrates the kind of relationship between a mother and son that I am used to... it was a movie(fictional) about the civil war in America and about the Quakers who were devout Christians who did not believe in taking up arms to fight.  The son decides that he can not sit by and allow his neighbors to be devastated when the war comes to their territory.  The mother does not want her son to go to war.  This to me is a natural reaction of a mother as regards her child... they do not want to let them go.... they do not want to lose them... they do not want them to die... This is love to me.

another illustration...

I do not know how the mothers in India bear their lives when their children... namely, when daughters are born, they are killed.  I can not imagine how a mother survives that.  Isn't it the most natural maternal instinct among all species, to protect their young?  I can not imagine how she would allow herself to get pregnant again and again... how painful, how unbearable that would be... What kind of life?

In your first example, the mother being happy to see her son killed as a martyr - this is what I think happens: when her son dies, it is not that she is not sad. She will miss him just like anyone would miss a loved one. But her 'happiness' is more accurately described as 'strength', or 'rationality'. You see, this world is a short span as compared to the hereafter this mother believes in. This world is full of trials and problems, it is the 'test' to which the result is the hereafter. You reap there what you sow here. So her son is out of a bad place and on to a better one. Is this not reason to be happy, for him? She's is not just putting what God wants before her own needs, she is putting her son's best interests before her own grief. The reason we think this unnatural is simply because people are not normally this strong, but we all know that is majority is not the criteria for something to be right, or better.

As for the second example, I assume you are referring to the ignorant practice of killing girls due to gender discrimination? As far as I know these mothers are torn with grief over this happening. As for why they get pregnant again, it might be the fear of their lives that wins over their grief and love; a society that can kill innocent children can definitely kill a woman for not providing them with that opportunity. In the rare case that the mother is participating in this act, it could be what has been ingrained in her mind since childhood - that girls are abominable. That's horrific, but we'e all heard of normal people joining cults and doing worse things.

Since Islam is a rational, logical religion, it does acknowledge love. It is, like you say, a basic human emotion and a very necessary one at that! I think what you're asking is, how do love and Islam intersect? My personal take on this would be how we've read about our Imams (as) who loved and hated for the SAKE of Allah, or Islam. Like Imam Ali (as), who said about his wife Hazrat Zahra (as) that he found her to be his best partner in Allah's worship. As a perfect human being, he loved her FOR the sake of Allah. Or even if you take other related emotions that are directed towards humans - like friendship, or anger - we are taught to employ those for the sake of Allah, too. 

What I understand from this is that if you truly accept and believe in Islam and its ideologies, then your criteria of love and hatred and friendship will be based on what Islam wants, because at the end of the day Islam is a way of life, and following Islam is the best possible way to live your life.

So you like someone because they are beloved to Allah. The ultimate goal is that your love for your God, prophets and religion should supersede every other emotion to the extent that it doesn't feel like 'sacrificing' anymore when you have to choose a pious, not-so-romantic guy over an irreligious, charming guy who you are very drawn towards. Note that I said ultimate goal - this is extremely hard to do, and this level has probably only been reached by the Infallibles and a few others. But we can strive towards that goal, and until then, we accept that sometimes we have to sacrifice something small to get something big. Heaven is a huge reward, after all - and something of that level would require sacrifices equally monumental.

Hope that helps!

Greetings RSA,

Thank you.  That is helpful.

asalaam,

CLynn

In your first example, the mother being happy to see her son killed as a martyr - this is what I think happens: when her son dies, it is not that she is not sad. She will miss him just like anyone would miss a loved one. But her 'happiness' is more accurately described as 'strength', or 'rationality'. You see, this world is a short span as compared to the hereafter this mother believes in. This world is full of trials and problems, it is the 'test' to which the result is the hereafter. You reap there what you sow here. So her son is out of a bad place and on to a better one. Is this not reason to be happy, for him? She's is not just putting what God wants before her own needs, she is putting her son's best interests before her own grief. The reason we think this unnatural is simply because people are not normally this strong, but we all know that is majority is not the criteria for something to be right, or better.

I understand this concept but I have to ask myself... is this what God wants, or is this the devil's doing... to make us at constant war with one another on this planet... in this gift of fleshly life that the Creator has given us?  Is this a deception of the devil?  For, as long as we do not value this life as a gift from God, we will continue to destroy it, will we not?  If we only value the afterlife then the killing and destruction in this life will have no end.

Yshwe(known as Jesus) taught Love as a way to peace.  For, if you love your brother in mankind, you will make peace with all mankind.

asalaam.

As for the second example, I assume you are referring to the ignorant practice of killing girls due to gender discrimination? As far as I know these mothers are torn with grief over this happening. As for why they get pregnant again, it might be the fear of their lives that wins over their grief and love; a society that can kill innocent children can definitely kill a woman for not providing them with that opportunity. In the rare case that the mother is participating in this act, it could be what has been ingrained in her mind since childhood - that girls are abominable. That's horrific, but we'e all heard of normal people joining cults and doing worse things.

My question here is... where is the love in the men?

Without girls, there are no women.  Without women, there is no further life.

My distress is... why are the men so devoid of love?

"Religion is nothing but Love." Please read this Mr. CLynn. Perspectives on the Concept of Love in Islam.pdf

And "Hell yeah! Muslims can't be loving people! See how the western countries lovingly invade their lands, kill and displace them! But how the Muslims do not turn the other cheek! They say, they are peaceful, loving people. But they don't love hegemony and imperialism. They should love to be subserviant to devillish powers just like we are. Infidel Muslims!"

the thing is, Mr. CLynn, the Love Islam describes is not hypocrite. Supposing you are searching for the truth with no bias, but you never are, you can study it here:

http://www.al-islam.org/polarization-around-character-ali-ibn-abi-talib-ayatullah-murtadha-mutahhari/part-1-power-attraction (Part I of the book, Polarization Around the Character of Ali)

"Salaam and bessings"  :angel:

Greetings Hamza,

Thank you for the reading.  I will do my best.  Extended time on the computer is difficult for me.

Salaam and blessings.

Edited by CLynn

My question here is... where is the love in the men?

Without girls, there are no women.  Without women, there is no further life.

My distress is... why are the men so devoid of love?

Bit pointless to ask muslims, you should visit a hindu forum and ask the Indians themselves why female infanticide is ripe in India.

Bit pointless to ask muslims, you should visit a hindu forum and ask the Indians themselves why female infanticide is ripe in India.

Greetings Jahangiram,

True.  I was just using it to illustrate my question about love.

Salaam.

Love -

Does Islam teach love?

Shukran and salaam.

بِسْــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِالرَّحْمَنِ اارَّحِيم

I recommend you read the following: http://main.altafsir.com/LoveInQuranIntroEn.asp#.Uy6Py3nRp0t

'Love in the Qur'an' is a translation of the PhD written by the Prince of Jordan. I think you will find it enlightening. 

Ws. 

This thread is too circular and confusing. If this is an indirect or subtle attempt at proselytizing us Muslims into submitting to the "love for Jesus Christ" then I think I've had enough.

*unfollowed*

Greetings Praetorius,

It isn't.  It's a question about how muslm's feel about love... about how the concept of love fits into their lives... in what ways?

asalaam,

CLynn