Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Atheism Is The New Creationism

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

First, define "creationism". Do you mean that Allah created all creatures as they are today, or are you also introducing the 6,000 year component, which is a patently and demonstrably false belief? It's not totally clear from this post. 

Human beings are usually content with their beliefs and only seek evidence to bolster those beliefs. If you are Muslim, Islam is demonstrably true. Christians don't think you can reach Heaven without accepting Jesus into your heart and when pushed, claim to feel God in their hearts which is sufficient evidence for them. Hindus consider their religion a point of cultural pride since it is an Indian religion. Atheists embrace Science as their God. It's not a Christian or Muslim or atheist phenomena. It takes special people to examine evidence critically, and most people can't be bothered because their religion or lack thereof is enough for them. 

So sure, atheism is leaving the hands of the philosophers and the "elite class" and moving down into the commoners. It's obvious that just as the masses did not question their religions, the new religion of Science will become equally unquestioned. 

• Veteran Member

They complain that religious folk follow blindly, yet the exact same thing is happening to their own creed.

Atheism is becoming a fashion statement now. 

Lack of belief is not a creed or a fashion.

Atheism is about not believing that there are such things as gods. 
Atheism is not a stance that is intended to lead to something else. Atheism is a conclusion.

Many theists cannot understand this simple point.

ws.
  • Moderators

Until atheists can propose a plausible alternative theory as to how we and everything else got here and how it is maintained in perfect order, 

It will be a belief, and a very shaky one at that. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Veteran Member

In the English language, atheism is a belief   -   the belief that there is no God (or gods).

My dictionary describes an atheist  as someone who believes that God does not exist.

Another dictionary defines an atheist as a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of  a supreme being or beings.

The word atheism is defined as the doctrine or belief that there is no God

Edited by baqar
  • Advanced Member

In the English language, atheism is a belief   -   the belief that there is no God (or gods).

My dictionary describes an atheist  as someone who believes that God does not exist.

Another dictionary defines an atheist as a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of  a supreme being or beings.

The word atheism is defined as the doctrine or belief that there is no God

I find this explanation insightful.

If I owned a jar of jelly beans, there is either an odd number of jelly beans or an even number of jelly beans inside the jar. 

If I showed you the jar and told you "There is an even number of jelly beans in this jar.", would you be confident about my claim? I might be right, and I might be wrong. There might be an odd number of jelly beans in the jar. 

So, if you said to me "I don't believe that there is an even number of jelly beans in the jar", does that mean you are confident that there is an odd number? Remember, I have not let you touch the jar or count the jelly beans for yourself.

So, if I were to make the claim "There is an even number of jelly beans in this jar" a theistic claim, a positive claim about Allah's existence, would the atheist(a-jellybean-ist) be confident that there really isn't an even number of jelly beans (God doesn't exist)? No, this person is unsure. They have doubts there is an even number(God exists). They would prefer to be unsure than make a decision about whether or not there is an even number (God exists) or there is an odd number (God does not exist).

So really atheism is the hope that someone will find out the jelly beans are odd.  

• Advanced Member

Thank you for your kind explanation.

But I find it much easier to understand atheism from the definition in the dictionary.

Sure. Definitions in the dictionary reflect common usage. It's possible that word meanings can evolve and a short definition cannot capture all facets of an ideology like atheism. 

• Advanced Member

They have doubts there is an even number(God exists). They would prefer to be unsure than make a decision about whether or not there is an even number (God exists) or there is an odd number (God does not exist).

Those who are unsure are agnostics.

Those who have doubts are agnostics. 

Those who are sure (or rather as sure as can be) are called atheists.

• Advanced Member

Those who are unsure are agnostics.

Those who have doubts are agnostics. 

Those who are sure (or rather as sure as can be) are called atheists.

However, there are people called agnostic atheists.

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge claims.

Theism has to do with belief claims.

I would surmise that the vast majority of Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc will say "I know God exists." Therefore, they are gnostic theists. Rarely, you will hear someone come out and say "I don't know if God exists, but I believe in God." If they did, they would be agnostic theists. 

Most atheists don't say "I know God doesn't exist". If they did, they would be gnostic. But rather, they say "There is a lack of evidence so I don't believe in God." There are thousands of these statements around the internet. So many atheists use the agnostic label and tie it to their atheism.

It's not possible to disprove God's existence, so I think many atheists would be in an extremely untenable position if they went around saying they know God doesn't exist because they have proof or something.

Edited by EthidiumIodide

Most atheists don't say "I know God doesn't exist". If they did, they would be gnostic. But rather, they say "There is a lack of evidence so I don't believe in God." There are thousands of these statements around the internet. So many atheists use the agnostic label and tie it to their atheism.

Yet you will find often the same people will make denial claims like calling God an imaginary friend in the minds of believers. If they truly were true their agnosticism, they would not act so certain that others don't know God spiritually and would not act like that there are no ways of knowing God exists.

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight
  • Advanced Member

Yet you will find often the same people will make denial claims like calling God an imaginary friend in the minds of believers. If they truly were true their agnosticism, they would not act so certain that others don't know God spiritually and would not act like that there are no ways of knowing God exists.

Hmm, you can have varying degrees of doubt. In any case, what these atheists are doing are using ad hominems to assault the theist's position as so silly as to not even warrant a proper response. It's just ostentatious drum-beating. 

And yeah, some agnostics think that God can never be known, or God may be known in the future via proper scientific evidence. It depends on the person. 

• Advanced Member

Lack of belief is not a creed or a fashion.

Atheism is not a stance that is intended to lead to something else. Atheism is a conclusion.

Many theists cannot understand this simple point.

ws.

It isn't about not understanding it, it's about not agreeing with it.

It depends on how you define 'belief'. I agree with atheists to a certain extent that not all negatives have to be proven. But context is important. In some context a negative needs to be proven.

To hold anything as either true or false is to believe something. We both hold the belief that pink elephants don't circulate our universe.

First, define "creationism". Do you mean that Allah created all creatures as they are today, or are you also introducing the 6,000 year component, which is a patently and demonstrably false belief? It's not totally clear from this post.

Misleading title. Should have said 'Atheists have become the new Creationists'.

• Advanced Member

Just as you see the Christian who cannot understand reason and will not accept any argument may try to show that creationism is not true, I see the very same traits in most 'atheists'. There are intelligent atheists who have strong arguments for their beliefs - but these are few. Most people I know are atheists.

Atheists are celebrating that their numbers are growing, but do they really know what is happening? They complain that religious folk follow blindly, yet the exact same thing is happening to their own creed. The worst part is that they, and all other intelligent atheists seem to be completely oblivious to this.

Atheism is becoming a fashion statement now. The 'modern' life. More and more people are taking to atheism because of the way religion has been portrayed in the media. Christianity has become a symbol of pedophilia and Islam has become a symbol of terrorism. As the days go on, we will have more ignorant atheists who are as out of touch with the truth as the Christian who believes the world is 6000 years old.

I feel like its easier to be non religious than to be religious.To be non religious, you simply have to be born and live, while to be religious, its almost as if you have to be taught a religion.

For that, I cant blame most non religious people. Then later on in life, it seems to be harder to change peoples world views, at least when those world views may not relate to anything that is specifically, "observable".  For example, I wouldnt expect someone who has grown up a christian or non believer, at the age of 20 to just..."assume" that praying 5 times a day was something wanted by God, because unless people are accustomed to scripture, there do not appear to be other lines of evidence indicating this.

Though there is a difference between the religious, and people who simply believe in God.  I think fueding religions around the world give belief in God a bad rap in many cases, steer people away.  And in my personal opinion, i dont think its all the medias fault.  The media is almost like that generic stereotype.  Of course it doesnt always depict truth, but it isnt completely made up either. In my personal experiences, i think ive found things that would make media depictions look liberal.

Nice post!