Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Some Mass E-Mobilization Needed

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

السلام علیکم

Dear friends:

First, a bit of a preface. There is an internet website called cracked. It's a humor website with list-based articles, some of them showing materials of a factual content with a humorous spin (although they often take liberties with the "facts").

I've been a reader of their site for a few years, and I liked a lot of their material, especially their overanalysis of pop culture.

But recently, they've started to publish a lot more political articles, and naturally, these articles are disgusting. Russia and Iran have been prime targets. They wrote approximately ten trillion articles related to the Sochi olympics, and all of them boiled down to: "Look! Look at how Putin treats those gays! Aren't you glad we civilized folk here in the States are benevolent to the homos?"

I usually reply to these articles, but my comments are always met with a wave of downvotes. (Even though I am never inflammatory; I simply explain what the article got wrong). Apparently, the readership of cracked is only open-minded inasmuch as the discussion isn't about America's political adversaries.

In any case... their most recent exploit really irked me, because aside from spreading false political propaganda, they defamed hijab and Islam. Notice entry #4 of this article: http://www.cracked.com/article_20887_5-badass-people-who-stood-up-to-infamous-dictators.html

I have already commented and gotten all the downvotes. I would like others among you to also comment. Of course, you must be extremely disciplined and reasoned. And if possible, try not to wear your faith on your sleeve, so as not to make people automatically dismiss you as biased. But these people need to realize that they are wrong about things and they can't go around spreading ignorances.

• Veteran Member

(Even though I am never inflammatory; I simply explain what the article got wrong). 

Hmmm, I have read your responses to Shia Chat members for years.  Your standard format is to begin and end your post with a derogatory phrase or insult.  So, please forgive me if I do not quite buy the above.

All the Best,

David

• Veteran Member

Hmmm, I have read your responses to Shia Chat members for years.  Your standard format is to begin and end your post with a derogatory phrase or insult.  So, please forgive me if I do not quite buy the above.

All the Best,

David

Derogatory? So if a kettle or pot is called black would that be a derogatory insult in your opinion? Are you hurt to read about his view on homos? Pardon me but I don't get what you're trying to start there.

Regards.

• Veteran Member

All the Best,

David

FIrstly, it is false to say that all or most of my posts have derogatory phrases. Most of them do not. On occasion, however, I do use some colorful language. I have passion just like anyone else.

And even if I get angry, it doesn't last long after the post. A poster who I may want to strangle in one thread, I go back to considering him my brother/sister in the next thread.

As for you not buying the idea of me not being an unbearable douche, let me ask you this: Do you act the same way toward your friends as you do toward your grandmother? Do you act the same way toward your grandmother as toward, say, your boss? Or do you wear the same clothes to a friendly gathering as you wear to a wedding, or for being at home with your family? With changing environments, the acceptable way of interaction also changes. I'm not gonna talk the same way on cracked comments section as I do on SC.

you could always try to write for them as such sites thrive on debunking status quo.

http://www.cracked.com/write-for-cracked/

That's the problem. They thrive on it except when it comes to enemy countries.

They had one article a month or so ago "debunking" widespread ideas about life in Iran. That article consisted of rehashing every nonsensical slogan that are spewed over and over again by CNN and the like.

I submitted an article for them once, about Rocky IV, but it didn't meet the technical requirements. (They require the articles submitted by readers to have at least six "facts").

Also, the other limitation is that the article needs to be humorous. How can anyone incorporate humor into something so serious as debunking orientalist reductionist nonsense?

• Veteran Member

Hello,

Don't feel so bad Baradar Jackson.  None of my comments get posted on the PressTV web page.  And, I am sure they have no technical or humor requirements. 

And, as far as the way I behave.  Regardless of audience I strive to remain civil.  Yes, we are all human.  But, lapses in civility should be the very rare exception and not the rule.

You know, my great, great, great, great, great, great, Granddad was Andrew Jackson.  Maybe we are related.

All the Best,

David

• Veteran Member

Also, the other limitation is that the article needs to be humorous. How can anyone incorporate humor into something so serious as debunking orientalist reductionist nonsense?

But you can, and for the website in question, it would seem the only way to be heard, especially if you are running against the current.

• Veteran Member

Don't feel so bad Baradar Jackson.  None of my comments get posted on the PressTV web page.  And, I am sure they have no technical or humor requirements.

Imagine how Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah feels. Facebook considers every photo of him to be a term of use violation.

But you can, and for the website in question, it would seem the only way to be heard, especially if you are running against the current.

Maybe shiachatters can group-write an article and submit it. But we would have to agree on a topic.

• Veteran Member

Here is an idea,

Write a sarcastic article on the current USA govt policies. for example, that the west has been supporting referedums after referendums, but dont want this one.

Whatever happenned to the democratic hogwash? Why is crimea different?

We can write about Bahrain, where the royals share snacks, but start their rhetoric in the media when Iran executes criminals.

There is tons to write. Sarcasm can be used to make humorous articles. It should not be diffcult.

• Veteran Member

For people who "stood up" to Hitler, I would vote for Willy Brandt

And a women I knew (she died in February, 1994) named "Inga", who as a 12 year-old girl escape Czechoslovakia, went to what was Jugoslavia, and join Mihailivik's forces fighting Nazis and Communists(Tito led).