Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
saberrider

To Shia - How Does One Choose His Marja' ?

Rate this topic

What details go into it ?

Salamun alaykum.

Taqlid in religious laws means acting according to the verdict of a Mujtahid. According to prevalent view among Shia scholars, it is necessary for the Mujtahid who is followed, to be male, Shi'ah Ithna Ash'ari, adult, sane, of legitimate birth, living and just ('Adil). A person is said to be just when he performs all those acts which are obligatory upon him, and refrains from all those things which are forbidden to him. Also  the Mujtahid who is followed should be A'lam (the most learned), who is more capable of understanding the divine laws than any of the contemporary Mujtahids.

As for choosing a Marja', there are three ways of identifying a Mujtahid, and the A'alam:

• when a person is certain that a particular person is a Mujtahid, or the most learned one. For this, he should be a learned person himself, and should possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'alam;

• when two persons, who are learned and just and possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or the A'alam, confirm that a person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that two other learned and just persons do not contradict them.

• when a number of learned persons who possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'lam, certify that a particular person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that one is satisfied by their statement.

Following link is of more help Insha Allah:

http://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-al-uzma-sayyid-ali-al-husaini-seestani/taqlid-following-mujtahid

this is a question asked from Ayatollah Khamenei concerning this topic:

Q: Concerning the taqlīd issue, whom should we follow?
A:  It is obligatory to follow a mujtahid who meets all requirements needed for issuing a fatwā and functioning as a marji‘. And according to caution, he should be the most learned as well.

but how to choose one among all of these Mujtahids :

Q: What are the methods for selecting a marji‘?
A: Ijtihād of a marji‘ and that he is the most learned one is verified through examining him and becoming certain, even if due to publicity which makes one certain or confident, or the testimony of two just experts. (Ayatollah Khamenei, Q&As)

I began to follow Sayed Khamenei. However, I found out that Taqlid is not even wajib. Proof: 

Don't go on telling me ''this is Zolfigar, so he's lying''. What he's saying is true. Plus, the hadiths state that the end-time scholar will be the worst of God's creatures, and they will be the Imam Mahdi's enemies. I am not directing this to any specific scholar today, but we must not forget what our Imams told us about the Fuqaha and scholars. NOT to be trusted.

Edited by robbenmessi1010

Salamun Alaykum

Issues no.2 and no.3 from Risalah of Sayyid Sistani:

2. Taqlid in religious laws means acting according to the verdict of a Mujtahid. It is necessary for the Mujtahid who is followed, to be male, Shi'ah Ithna Ash'ari, adult, sane, of legitimate birth, living and just ('Adil). A person is said to be just whe n he performs all those acts which are obligatory upon him, and refrains from all those things which are forbidden to him. And the sign of being just is that one is apparently of a good character, so that if enquiries are made about him from the people of his locality, or from his neighbours, or from those persons with whom he lives, they would confirm his good conduct. And if one knows that the verdicts of the Mujtahids differ with regard to the problems which we face in every day life, it is necessary t hat the Mujtahid who is followed be A'lam (the most learned), who is more capable of understanding the divine laws than any of the contemporary Mujtahids.

3. There are three ways of identifying a Mujtahid, and the A'alam:

when a person is certain that a particular person is a Mujtahid, or the most learned one. For this, he should be a learned person himself, and should possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'alam; when two persons, who are learned and just and possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or the A'alam, confirm that a person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that two other learned and just persons do not contradict them. In fact, being a Mujt ahid or an A'lam can also be established by a statement of only one trusted and reliable person; when a number of learned persons who possess the capacity to identify a Mujtahid or an A'lam, certify that a particular person is a Mujtahid or an A'lam, provided that one is satisfied by their statement.

How can shiites appraise the marajaes knowledge? Is there transparency? Is there any publications from the ulama were they justify their point of views  by representing argument?

The literature itself can be used to assess the author, his knowledge, his arguments, how he reasons, how he refutes other ideas or scholars   We have for instance Shaheed Baqir Al-Sadr, shiites can read his work and evaluate this scholar in his publications.

In the scientific world one cannot become a professor without having published works. A student of philosophy(or any other faculty) can read easily access works of different professors and assess the knowledge and other important attributes himself. Without relying himself in a rumor or the most popular. The is one of the beautiful things in science, the transparency. A view is not scientific if it not well-grounded

So, is there any literature,articles, lectures or anything from marajaes that provide assessment? I am most interested in Sayyed Sistani and Sayyed Khameneis works. WS

How can shiites appraise the marajaes knowledge? Is there transparency? Is there any publications from the ulama were they justify their point of views  by representing argument?

The literature itself can be used to assess the author, his knowledge, his arguments, how he reasons, how he refutes other ideas or scholars   We have for instance Shaheed Baqir Al-Sadr, shiites can read his work and evaluate this scholar in his publications.

In the scientific world one cannot become a professor without having published works. A student of philosophy(or any other faculty) can read easily access works of different professors and assess the knowledge and other important attributes himself. Without relying himself in a rumor or the most popular. The is one of the beautiful things in science, the transparency. A view is not scientific if it not well-grounded

So, is there any literature,articles, lectures or anything from marajaes that provide assessment? I am most interested in Sayyed Sistani and Sayyed Khameneis works. WS

Shia scholars are assessed through their highest-level classes. That is where they present the result of their studies and researches.

The scientific value of a session or two of this kind of lessons - called Kharij lessons - equals a doctorate thesis in academia.

So the level is too high for normal viewers to distinguish the differences between the strong and the strongest. As a consequence, the audience of such lessons are limited to only high-level students of Hawzah, and therefore they are barely translated to English.

If you know Arabic, you can refer to this link to find out a series of Kharij lessons of scholars in Qum, Najaf and some other scientific centers of Shia:

http://www.eshia.ir/Ar/

Shia scholars are assessed through their highest-level classes. That is where they present the result of their studies and researches.

The scientific value of a session or two of this kind of lessons - called Kharij lessons - equals a doctorate thesis in academia.

So the level is too high for normal viewers to distinguish the differences between the strong and the strongest. As a consequence, the audience of such lessons are limited to only high-level students of Hawzah, and therefore they are barely translated to English.

If you know Arabic, you can refer to this link to find out a series of Kharij lessons of scholars in Qum, Najaf and some other scientific centers of Shia:

http://www.eshia.ir/Ar/

(1)Thank you for the respons. My arabic is inconveniently bad. I did though listen to some excerpts. This is as you said are duros/lectures. It reminded me of a series of lectures by Sayyed kamal Hayderi regarding tawheed that I listened to a while ago, but I didnt pass the first lecture. I found that I needed to undersand the arabic and islamic terminology first, I decided to return once I improved my arabic dramatically (this haven´t happened yet). I Don´t know if those were classified as Kharij lectures.

I didn´t find any lectures from either sayyed Sistani or Khamenei by the link you provided.

The lectures are a way to assess the scholar, however its not a very good way since the listener or student can not follow the research. Written publications would indeed be a better way in order to assess. I think if we both are honest we could agree upon that the islamic or at least shiite world are lacking in transparency in comparison to the scientific world.

(2)I don´t see why we shouldn´t increase the transparency so it is at least as transparent as the science world if not more! They are numerous positives with increased transparency, for one thing I think it would engage more people in studying the religion and developing islamic knowledge and thinking to new levels, the global world and its technical advantage are presenting us with options our scholars earlier in history could only dream of. I know for instance that the Azhar are presenting online lectures from egypt to all who would like to listen from all around the world. But there is som much more we could do here, to encourage common people to engage in studies, to enlighten people, to increase the ulamas multiply times. We could teach humans all around the world the same knowledge students in Qum/Najaf are learning.