Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Kashmiri Students In India Expelled For Cricket

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

This is so ridiculous, so farcical that the topic title can't hold it in few words.

This shows the paranoia of the Indian state (and its institution) with regards Kashmiris. With right-wing fascist Hinduism politically on the rise in India, I hope Gujarat II is avoided if they come to power (and they will come to power) in May this year.

Lest some Indian on here doubts the story, it is reported in Hindustan Times.

A university in Uttar Pradesh has packed off 67 students from Kashmir to their homes for celebrating Pakistan's victory over India in a cricket match on Sunday...

The trouble began on Sunday night when a group of local and Kashmiri students were watching India-Pakistan cricket match in the hall of the varsity's Madan Dhingra Hostel.

A few Kashmiri students clapped every time an Indian player's wicket fell, and later celebrated the Pakistan win.

"Some students complained that a few students reportedly shouted Pakistan zindabad on way to their rooms," said Ahmad.

He said the authorities initially decided to suspend only those students who had shouted slogans.

"But a three-tier inquiry finally recommended all 67 Kashmiri students residing in Madan Dhingra Hostel be suspended indefinitely..."

The VC said, "We were expecting the students to apologise. But when that did not happen, we had to suspend them all of them."

"These students were dropped at Ghaziabad and Delhi railway stations under police security cover," said senior superintendent of police Omkar Singh.

However, the parents of the students have told the media in the valley that a few students had been attacked by their local counterparts. Weblink

No Indian will cheer for Pakistan in a cricket game but some Kashmiris may and Indians need to accept that fact.

Edited by Marbles
  • Basic Members

As an Indian I find the student's behavior totally unacceptable. While I am not condoning the measures taken by the university but I think it is quite understandable. You don't cheer for your 'enemy's' team, at least out of respect for your fellow citizens. Imagine Americans cheering for the soviet hockey team during the cold war. It's just not something you should do. It's Muslims like these that make it hard for the rest of us patriotic Indian Muslims. We constantly need to exhibit our loyalties since fear of negative reprisals from Hindu nationalists. Yes, the punishment is extreme, but so is the nationalistic tendencies in our society, unfortunately.

Imagine if Hindu Pakistanis cheered for India's team, do you think Pakistanis would be happy? They might just blow them up!

On a totally different note, I have noticed that Shi'as (like me) are very patriotic compared to Sunnis. I guess they know that they won't fair well in Pakistan.

• Veteran Member

muslims in both india and pakistan have to act smarter than they have in the past. otherwise hindutva is going to make things real hard for them.

i was in india for few days last week and man o man. wahshat is the only word to describe the core of my feelings while there. and we had some clown here claiming that it would be some sort of super power. 

Imagine if Hindu Pakistanis cheered for India's team, do you think Pakistanis would be happy? They might just blow them up!

depending on timing and location they would be lucky to not get their heads severed. 

• Veteran Member

As an Indian I find the student's behavior totally unacceptable. While I am not condoning the measures taken by the university but I think it is quite understandable. You don't cheer for your 'enemy's' team, at least out of respect for your fellow citizens. Imagine Americans cheering for the soviet hockey team during the cold war. It's just not something you should do. It's Muslims like these that make it hard for the rest of us patriotic Indian Muslims. We constantly need to exhibit our loyalties since fear of negative reprisals from Hindu nationalists. Yes, the punishment is extreme, but so is the nationalistic tendencies in our society, unfortunately.

On a totally different note, I have noticed that Shi'as (like me) are very patriotic compared to Sunnis. I guess they know that they won't fair well in Pakistan.

I think you are missing an important point here. They are Kashmiri students who clearly didn't see themselves as bona fide Indian nationals let alone patriots. So I don't think the hypothetical scenario of Americans cheering for Soviet team applies.

This is sports for God's sake. Even if there are some (non-Kashmiri) Indian Muslims who cheer for Pakistan team, this may be bad taste and personally I also don't think they should openly cheer in a way that may cause conflict with their countrymen, but to take any sort of action by a semi-state institution against such people is a travesty of common sense and justice.

I see this incident as yet another attempt to silence Kashmir voice and deny them the right to self-identity.

I had a friend in Europe. When I met him for the first time I asked him where he was from. He said from Kashmir. I asked from which side of the border. And he said, "I am from Kashmir plain and simple. And if you are Indian, you can go to hell and if you are a Pakistani, you may still go to hell". (He was from Indian side of Kashmir I found later). We became friends. Later during cricket matches for some reason he always supported Pakistan against India, Bangladesh against Pakistan, Bangladesh against India, and only supported India against the rest of cricket playing nations. So what judgement do you have for him?

My initial reacting after reading the OP's statement was anger and disgust, but after reading the comments I realize both the parties are at fault, albeit the punishment was harsh but I guess it would be even worse in Pakistan

Descendents of Indian migrants of 1947 who in retrospect don't like their parents' decision to migrate to Pakistan always cheer for India during crickt matches. There are countless of them and to date nothing has happened to a single one of them.

Difference is, Hindu extremism is very nationalist and Pakistani extremism is very religious. So if you're a Hindu in Karachi who cheered for the demolition of Babri Mosque, you are sure to be killed. See?

i was in india for few days last week and man o man. wahshat is the only word to describe the core of my feelings while there. and we had some clown here claiming that it would be some sort of super power. 

Wahdat feeling wahshat lol?

India is a fast growing economy and already a regional power competing with China. Regular problems apart, what's was so bad that you felt that way?

• Advanced Member

Oh okay I get it, but im quite sure those wahabi nutcases will find any rEason to cause havoc (cheering for India would prolly be a suitable one for em)..since they are so brainwashed. What you said does make sense though..I have never been to India or Pakistan, so I get my knowledge about the situation from brothers like you.

• Advanced Member

It's a stupid decision by the university. At the end of the day, it was just a match and just a sport. You like a team and you cheer for it. I'm not a fan of cricket at all but when I do watch a few matches during World Cup, I pick a team that is, in my limited cricket knowledge, geniunely worthy to win the game. So, I find myself similar to Marbles' friend who switches sides, albeit for a different reason.

The incident happened in Uttar Pradesh, a place where people are immersed in politics. Idiotic zealots having no control of their nationalistic uncompromising tendencies are expected to come up with such ridiculous actions. Shame on them for ruining the careers of those Kashmiri kids. What kind of times are we living in that sports that are supposed to bring people together on a platform for sharing some fun and action, is the dividing wedge between them?

• Veteran Member

Wahdat feeling wahshat lol?

India is a fast growing economy and already a regional power competing with China. Regular problems apart, what's was so bad that you felt that way?

I am a firm believer that a nation's economic size could not totally vouch for its overall state of affairs or its future like a jog's muscle size cannot vouch for every other aspect of their life or future. Just like its the economy size today, it were the missile size back in the Cold War. And we all saw the Russian or American super giant missiles were not the deciding factor in the outcome of the cold war. IMO, in today's world it wont be the economy that'd completely decide the future of a nation but the work ethic and work environment in that nation. It is here that India fails in a colorful way. People are not honest. They are lazy. They cheat and lie to get by. And this is not to say that the few I had the misfortune of dealing with but its ingrained in the very culture of India like it is most likely the case in Pakistan and absolutely the case in Afghanistan or other ME countries with the exception of Iran. 

America and the West in general were built upon the admirable protestant work ethics... everything else were secondary and came on its back. 

• Advanced Member

lol, So trivial. Whether right or wrong, they were instigating by shouting. 

Heck, people get in fights over sports all the time all over the world because certain individuals/groups instigate, it's common, the university decided based on that.

Read the rest of the article.

"There was a heated argument between some students but most students are innocent, so we think university authorities did a good thing by sending them to valley in order to avoid any clashes,"

Edited by Ugly Jinn
  • Veteran Member

Imagine some student in america cheering osama for 9/11

what will happen to him?

God, which wonder-box you're pulling these retarded analogies from?

lol, So trivial. Whether right or wrong, they were instigating by shouting. 

Heck, people get in fights over sports all the time all over the world because certain individuals/groups instigate, it's common, the university decided based on that.

Read the rest of the article.

"There was a heated argument between some students but most students are innocent, so we think university authorities did a good thing by sending them to valley in order to avoid any clashes,"

It would have been just another incident of sports-related violence (non-existent in Cricket btw) if it was only about a fight between students over a match. But the students were expelled from the university and sedition charges brought against them by the government (charges were dropped later). This doesn't sound sports-related to me but very political in nature.

It's the most innovative way to 'avoid clashes' I reckon.

• Veteran Member

^Instigating can have consequences. You may think it's extreme, which is subjective, but given the reality that Indians/Pakistanis are obsessed with this sport changes the context.

And the article states suspension, not expulsion. 

They did not instigate anything to have the university and the state act like this. Cheering for a sports team your country is not at good terms with is not instigating. On the contrary, they were attacked by Hindu students for taking the wrong side in the match lol.

Indefinite suspension is expulsion for all practical purposes. But I think Indian people have realised it was nonsensical. There is pressure on the university to let them back.

And it wasn't about cricket but politics. It would have been the same if it was a football match, a game nobody in India and Pakistan cares about.

• Advanced Member

Indefinite suspension does not mean expulsion, it just means their length of suspension is unknown at the moment. 

I don't know if you are familiar with sports or not, but it's common sense not to instigate the opposing fans in certain atmospheres - it's common sense. Fights are common when one side instigates/cheers to tick off the other party, whether you are watching it at the stadium or in a bar. 

You should goto a sports bar in England, goto a hometown team's sports bar, and continuously cheer (shout, slogans, etc.) for the opposing team, and see what happens, there is a high chance you'll see some consequences.  

Anyways, this is such a trivial issue, suspensions happen all the time in school, sometimes for the littlest reasons. 

Edited by Ugly Jinn
  • Veteran Member
Indefinite suspension does not mean expulsion, it just means their length of suspension is unknown at the moment.

Semantics, thank you.

I don't know if you are familiar with sports or not, but it's common sense not to instigate the opposing fans in certain atmospheres - it's common sense. Fights are common when one side instigates/cheers to tick off the other party, whether you are watching it at the stadium or in a bar. 

You should goto a sports bar in England, goto a hometown team's sports bar, and continuously cheer (shout, slogans, etc.) for the opposing team, and see what happens, there is a high chance you'll see some consequences.  

Anyways, this is such a trivial issue, suspensions happen all the time in school, sometimes for the littlest reasons.

It is a political issue through and through; nothing to do with Cricket or sports.

• Advanced Member

God, which wonder-box you're pulling these retarded analogies from?

He's the same banned member Quranist / Yamola.. / xyz. He's getting all that from the wonderbox gifted to banned members. I wonder why an exception is made to have him back when there are other more deserving banned members who've contributed well to this forum. 

If Marbles goes to a sportsbar and starts cheering for the opposing team, chances are he might get into a scuffle but I don't see the government intervening to ask him head back to his country. That's the problem.

• Advanced Member

If Marbles goes to a sportsbar and starts cheering for the opposing team, chances are he might get into a scuffle but I don't see the government intervening to ask him head back to his country. That's the problem.

Scuffles at bars have consequences, usually arrests, and can lead to prison time or even deportation, hence the government does get involved. Trust me, my friend works for homeland security, you should hear the littlest things people get deported for.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2013/04/beaverton_bar_fight_sends_man.html

Same scenario in universities get suspension. Instigation/Sedition can lead to suspensions, it's common, even in Western countries. 

The only reason certain people are making a big deal about this is cause it's an India/Pakistani related story, both sides have their political agenda. 

It is a political issue through and through; nothing to do with Cricket or sports.

Obviously that's what you'll try to propagate.

Edited by Ugly Jinn
  • Veteran Member

Scuffles at bars have consequences, usually arrests, and can lead to prison time or even deportation, hence the government does get involved. Trust me, my friend works for homeland security, you should hear the littlest things people get deported for.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2013/04/beaverton_bar_fight_sends_man.html

Same scenario in universities get suspension. Instigation/Sedition can lead to suspensions, it's common, even in Western countries. 

The only reason certain people are making a big deal about this is cause it's an India/Pakistani related story, both sides have their political agenda. 

So let's see what was so seditious about those students actions that the government of India had to bring the charges against them.

You are trying to defend the indefensible, the knee-jerk, paranoid reaction of a state that wants to hide its Achilles Heel (Kashmir) but can't.

Obviously that's what you'll try to propagate.

Because it is.

Edited by Marbles
  • Veteran Member

So we had another India-Pakistan cricket encounter in a short space of time. This time, India won the match. Many congratulations to Indian fans.

Below is not a picture of Indians celebrating their win but Pakistanis in Karachi attired in Indian colours and cheering for the Indian team.

They were not lynched and attacked, and the last I checked there is no news of their expulsion..oops..indedfinite suspension from their colleges. Nor Pakistan government has brought sedition charges against them :D

pakindia_zps7edd8cde.jpg

LINK