Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ethics

Do Shias Believe Ali Created Adam?

Rate this topic

Question: There is a hadith that holds that Imam Ali (as) said that he created Prophet Adam (pbuh) with his own hands. Everyone believes in this, but I recently learned that the hadith isn't authentic. If that is the case then why do people believe in such a thing? Please tell me who has narrated this hadith? Is the narrator a reliable one?

Brief Answer:

If some people believe that Imam Ali (as) independently created Prophet Adam (pbuh), it will be against the Quran and considered shirk. Not to mention that the creation of Adam by the physical body (hands) of Imam Ali (as) doesn’t comply with existing realities, because his body was created after Prophet Adam’s and in a totally different time, making him one of Prophet Adam’s children and descendants.

Of course taking into consideration the fact that sometimes creation is done through the mediation of others, and there are hadiths that maintain that the light of the infallibles existed before the creation of Adam (pbuh), believing that his creation took place through the mediation of their light won't be shirk and in conflict with Islamic fundamentals, although such a belief itself isn't considered one of the fundamentals of the Shia school of thought, thus more research can be done on it.

Detailed Answer

What is for sure is that according to what one of the verses of the Quran clearly states, Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì created Adam (pbuh) with his own ‘hands’.[1] This verse and its content are accepted by all Shia scholars and interpreters, leaving no room for any doubt.

On the one hand, after doing a general search in our hadiths, a hadith identical to what you mentioned in your question wasn’t found, but in the future if we stumble upon such a hadith, we will discuss its authenticity and chain of narrators. Also, if you have the Arabic of the hadith, please send it to us so that we can give a more precise answer to your inquiry.

Anyhow, considering other hadiths and Quranic verses, we must say: keeping in mind the following premises, the creation of Prophet Adam’s (pbuh) earthly body through the light of the imams (as), of course with another explanation other than what might be common amongst people, is something possible and will not clash with the verse we mentioned either.

We would like to draw your attention to these premises:

1- According to the Shia and many of the Sunnis, Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì bears no material body allowing us to say He is made of different parts and consider Him similar to other beings and creatures. That’s why we can't take some Quranic verses that attribute physical parts such as a face[2], hand[3], foot[4], eye[5], ear[6], etc. to Him for their literal meaning and are actually figures of speech that have an inner meaning and must be interpreted as Allah’s ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì knowledge, power, existence, etc. This is why for instance when it is said that Adam (pbuh) was created by the hand of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, what is meant is that he was created by the power of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

2- In many cases, Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì attributes what others apparently have done themselves and with their own hands to Himself, for example, He says that He is the one who provides the people with ships[7], although we all know that it is man who builds the ship, not Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì!

Of course, since man’s power is in continuation and a part of Allah’s ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, explaining such a verse and understanding its true meaning isn't difficult, and in a sense, man and everything he has made are in reality, a creation of Allah's ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.[8]

3- According to some ahadith, the creation of the light of the imams (as) has taken place before the creation of Adam (pbuh). The prophet of Islam (pbuh) says: “When Prophet Adam (pbuh) was still amongst water and clay [hadn’t been created yet], I was a prophet.”[9] Similar to this hadith is another one that speaks of the chronological precedence of Imam Ali’s (as) imamate in relation to the creation of Adam (pbuh).[10] There are countless other hadiths that disclose the same meaning with different phrasings.

4- Imam Ali (as) was without a doubt one of the signs of Allah's ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì might and power and because of this, he is called “The Hand of Allah” (ید الله). He himself in a hadith says: “أَنَا عَیْنُ اللَّهِ وَ أَنَا یَدُ اللَّهِ وَ أَنَا جَنْبُ اللَّهِ وَ أَنَا بَابُ اللَّهِ” (I am the eye of Allah, the hand of Allah, the side of Allah, and the path to Allah).[11]

Keeping all of the above in mind, if anyone believes that Prophet Adam (pbuh) was created by the hands of Imam Ali (as), it will mean that Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì created him through one of the manifestations of His power, meaning the light of Imam Ali (as) that was created from before, not that the physical body of Imam Ali (as) independently did such a thing.

On this basis, although the scale of belief in the matter you mentioned isn't as you put it, nevertheless, if anyone believes in it, it won't be in conflict with the accepted fundamentals of Islam, thus not causing those who might say so to be kafirs and mushriks.

At the same time, it can't be said that believing in Imam Ali (as) creating Prophet Adam (pbuh) with his own hands is something that can't be denied in the Shia school of thought, on the contrary, it can be questioned and researched about.

In the end, we would be grateful if you could send us the Arabic text of this hadith.

[1] Sad:75 “قالَ یا إِبْلیسُ ما مَنَعَکَ أَنْ تَسْجُدَ لِما خَلَقْتُ بِیَدَیَّ أَسْتَکْبَرْتَ أَمْ کُنْتَ مِنَ الْعالین”.

[2] Qisas:88 “کُلُّ شَیْ‏ءٍ هالِکٌ إِلاَّ وَجْهَه”.

[3] Ma’idah:64 بَلْ یَداهُ مَبْسُوطَتان ; Fath:10 “یَدُ اللَّهِ فَوْقَ أَیْدیهِم”

[4] Qalam:42 “یَوْمَ یُکْشَفُ عَنْ ساق”.

[5] Taha:39 “وَ لِتُصْنَعَ عَلى‏ عَیْنی”

[6] Ale-Imran:181 “لَقَدْ سَمِعَ اللَّهُ قَوْلَ الَّذین”; Mujadalah:1.

[7] Ibrahim:32 “وَ سَخَّرَ لَکُمُ الْفُلْکَ”.

[8] Saffat:96 “وَ اللَّهُ خَلَقَکُمْ وَ ما تَعْمَلُون”

[9] Ahsa’i, Ibn Abi Jumhur, Awalil-La’ali, vol. 4, pg.121, hadith 200.

[10] Ibid, pg. 124, hadith 208 “کنت وصیا و آدم بین الماء و الطین”.

[11] Kuleini, Muhammad ibn Yaqub, Kafi, vol. 1, pg. 145, hadith 8.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa8168

Edited by PureEthics

(Salam)

I don't beleive in such things or in the hadith which says that the Panjtan were there before adam (as) as lights. It goes completely against the many verses of the Quran, where the Propher says multiple times that I am a human being just like you. Ie. Just like us he was born into existence like every other human being. That he had a father and a mother and was born through the womb of his mother just like all human beings.

Secondly, i can't seem to find any verse in the Quran where it indicates that the Panjtan where existing before adam (as). Seriously, when the Quran telss u that Allah (SWT) said to the angles that he, Allah (SWT) will create adam (as), why then go on hadithes which simply contradicts the holy verse?

Edited by SlaveOfAllah14

Note: I think some people do not understand the point of this article. It is saying that ALI DID NOT AND CANNOT CREATE ADAM. However, what it does imply is the possibility that Allah created man, in regards to the manifestations (significance) of the 14 infallibles.

(wasalam)

Its remarkable that this nonsense even needs to be responded too. 

Some people might fall into believing this rubbish. Its good to eradicate this behavior by having precise answers so we dont end up with likes of Jahil (ignorance) people believing Allah has human body parts astagfiurllah We have religions believing gods to be made from clay or wooden statues :/

Edited by PureEthics

Salam,

I dont think anyone with akql will believe in this,good thing you gave a brif and detailed answer as to why we dont believe imam ali (as) created adam, that will keep the sunnies quite and hopefull educated the people that did believe in that hadith.

The thing is, they could not find such hadith in our books. Which is mentioned in the answer.

The thing is, they could not find such hadith in our books. Which is mentioned in the answer.

That's great for us, where in the safe zone. You gave along answer,lol, I couldnt remmber everything..

Even if they dont find ahdaith that make us mushrkeen, they will make up stuff to call us mushrikeen, thats why I said that will keep them quite for a bit.

That's great for us, where in the safe zone. You gave along answer,lol, I couldnt remmber everything..

Even if they dont find ahdaith that make us mushrkeen, they will make up stuff to call us mushrikeen, thats why I said that will keep them quite for a bit.

Credit goes to the scholars in Qum, alhamduillah. They answer any question. Link for the article is given at the bottom =)

Some Sunnis of a so-called fundamentalist brand don't understand the concept of esoteric language and so have a field day with Shi'ite concepts, not realizing they expose their own lack of intelligence. They hear about such a concept as Ali (pbuh) creating Adam (pbuh) and consider this idea to be irrational, when it really isn't even if we're just going by the Qu'ran without any appeal to either Sunni or Shi'ite hadith. They either conflate together too much the historical and physical Ali ibn Abi Talib of Arabia with his Alian spirit, unable to comprehend the notion of a spiritual pre-existence of Ali (pbuh) before his peak manifestation on earth in the 6th-7th century CE. Or what they misunderstand is that in the Qu'ran, Allah (swt) attributes to himself the actions of others since these actions occurred by his command and his blessing. Take for example, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God attributes this destruction to himself, yet the Qu'ran mentions the act itself being performed by an angel. So which is it? The answer is simple. God caused the event to occur THROUGH his angels, who follow his every command without question.

It's also funny how some of the Sunnis object to idea of Ali's role in the creation of Adam (pbuh) when their own hadith mention the creation of Adam occurring at the actual hands of Allah's angels after he orders them to gather those things necessary to create him. So why is it not a problem to believe Gabriel (pbuh) Michael (pbuh) or Azrael (pbuh) took some kind of active role in the creation of mankind but a problem to believe Ali and the Imams played a special role as well? Is it just a matter of religious identity or do these questionnaires find the similar traditions in their own books just as scandalous? The selective nature of Salafis and Salafi apologists confounds me.

On 2/28/2014 at 11:32 PM, Dhulfikar said:

Who is everyone? I have never heared this before.

lol XD it was probably a sunni whom asked this question. The question was said in a way where the questioner sounded like there was a hadith that exists when infact no hadith exists...

lol XD it was probably a sunni whom asked this question. The question was said in a way where the questioner sounded like there was a hadith that exists when infact no hadith exists...

Wow i did not notice the word Question. These people tend to overstate things.

there are hadiths that maintain that the light of the infallibles existed before the creation of Adam (pbuh), believing that his creation took place through the mediation of their light

I am finding it difficult to understand the phrase 'through the mediation of their light'. What does this even mean?

I am finding it difficult to understand the phrase 'through the mediation of their light'. What does this even mean?

I believe that to be an autocorrect error. The correct term would be manifestation, and you can see the meaning of this phrase by reading the whole article.

(Wasalam)

We will be destroyed.

Ya Ali Madad, InshAli, Ali is Mushkil Kusha, Ali decides who goes to heaven.hell

Now Ali created Adam?

I'm just disgusted.

We humans just love shirk. We're just so arrogant, we want to make ourselves and our fellow humans as God like as we can.

The fact we even need to address this question is remarkable. 

Allah swt is the one who created Adam a.s. Now, whether he commanded a spirit form of Ali a.s to do it is totally irrelevant, but it emminates the odour of ghuluw and it sickens me.

How can this be responded to without bringing the hadith?  I can't say one way or another but whoever posted the question should ask for the hadith and bring it here so we could discuss.  I'm just amazed at how everyone jumps up by calling it nonsense, and shirk without even seeing what it is and comparing it with other hadiths and verses or even asking the ulema.  If a hadith comes to you from the Ahl Al-Bayt and your heart understands it then accept it.  If you have difficulty understanding it then send it back to the Imams and say "they know better about what they've said" but do not reject it outright.  The Imams warned us against this.  Of course this advise is for those who love and follow the Ahl Al-Bayt (as) and not for our adversaries.

26 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

Two years later, and this still gives me a very bad feeling in my stomach.

:salam:

You probably got it wrong brother, this whole thread is about opposing an idea - which is not even popular amongst any community as far as I know.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:47 PM, realizm said:

:salam:

You probably got it wrong brother, this whole thread is about opposing an idea - which is not even popular amongst any community as far as I know.

I understand, but the fact this was even up for discussion was the worrying thing.

Here is a 'popular' sheikh in bahrain apparently, saying that Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s is the father Hazrat Adam a.s