Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
dff

Why Shia Turns Up As Athiest?

Rate this topic

Why are you guys getting so defensive? It's not rare to become disillusioned with one's faith. There are agnostic members on this forum who I assume at one time were Shia, so it's not impossible.

In any case, I disagree with any assertion that Shias leave Islam more than Sunnis. But even for the sake of argument, I will do some simple analysis.

1. Unfounded premise: Shias leave Islam TWICE as often as Sunnis. 

2. Fair assertion: 20% of Muslims are Shia.

3. Therefore, if you produce 10 murtad, FOUR will be Shia and SIX will be Sunni.

So even if you were to make some bold assertion that Shias leave Islam TWICE as often as Sunnis (no evidence obviously), still, Sunni murtad would be more common.

Bismillah,

In last few years all most all in fact all murtad (one who leaves Islam) I met were shia and specially from Iran, why do shia turns up athiest?

any particular reason?

Most the time there are no rational reasons and when there are, they are usually childish.

For the most part, it has to do with emotional and societal reasons. Among Muslims as a whole, there is a large inferiority complex when interacting with the West and its ideas no matter how ludicrous they are, might makes right. So this brings about a Pandora's box of problems which among other things contributes to cultural dislocation, loss of identity, cognitive confusion, self-hatred, iconoclasm, cultural mimicry etc. etc. You can observe this among many of the youth in the Middle East, particularly among Arabs in the Persian Gulf, Turks in Turkey  and so on.

With this in mind, you can understand that for many secularized (and even some so called religious) Iranians, being Muslim and/or religious (in the Islamic sense) is considered low class so by becoming an atheist, Christian, etc. one is given a deluded (and counterproductive) solution to a psychological disease and ontological crisis. 

Edited by Hannibal

Those Iranians that do become atheist are the same ones that usually supported the shah and liberal lifestyles.

I meet more Sunni that are non religious munafiq than I meet shia munafiq.

One sunni I know will always say S.A.W after the prophets name and than tells me he doesn't believe usury is wrong and the Quran shouldn't say that.

The character of more Sunnis is very astray in compassion to Shia. Shia become athieist at a less percentage of shia I'm sure of it

More Sunni become shia than shia become sunni

You're on to something here. My experience with iranians in Europe is that many of them feel a great enmity against islam because of the revolution. Some of them supported the Shah and believe it to be an american conspiracy to depose him and establish theocracy while other are die hard marxists. Remember that the psychological warfare that has been going on thru' Hollywood, media and academia since the iranian revolution is very negative towards the iranian government and by extension shia islam. I believe these people ave been more susceptible to these ideas than other muslims since their iranians. This has probably only gotten worse since the salafists have stepped up their atrocities in the name of islam who many westerner actually believe represent islam. That might be a reason people with a lack of faith chooses to distance themselves. But some of them are also favouring sufism

I too have met many Iranian atheists and agnostics - many of my professors and colleagues in academia were secular Iranians. Iran makes the claim that it is the Islamic state, and that the Supreme Leader is effectively the leader of the Muslim Umma. So, when Iranians dislike their governments, they equally dislike Islam. Iranian atheists, Baha'is, and agnostics find it difficult to distinguish Islam from their experiences with the Iranian government and its clerics. There are many Iranians who therefore disassociate from Islam and develop strong feelings against it.

I think there is plausible reason to think that a Shi'a might be more susceptible to becoming atheist/secular than a Sunni, partly because Shi'a muslims have a greater tendency towards rational/philosophical thought than Sunnism. What else could explain why have Shi'a generally dominated Philosophy and Metaphysics. This also means those who cling to faith and engage in philosophy are more likely to be certain about God and Islam, like Mulla Sadra than the traditionalist.On the other hand, Sunnis are more prone to become terrorists or takfiris or engage in anthropomorphism than  Shi'as, partly because Sunnis are generally more literal minded.

By the way, from my experience, most former Muslim terrorist who found Jesus before they could kill 'filthy' Jews happen to be Palestinians. Now, does that say anything?

Maybe there is a lot of money to be made I guess.

Salam,

I dont think we need to worry because no true shia are becoming athiest. People are ignorant by choice and you never hear about the guy who asked Allah for the truth and didnt get it.

This reminds of two people both born shia:

-A relative who found the evolution theory plausible and thought "Well scientists cant be wrong now can they..." ( He has never heard of Charles Darwin or Richard Dawkins and his only explanation is: we come from apes and therefore no god).Sadly he is a very kind person.

-A friend whos an agnostic because according to him "if there was a god why would there be poverty". He is also a very nice person.

Of course if they wanted answers numerous books have been written to answer their questions. But they think they are trapped and that theyll be liberated sadly they are the ones who are trapped and we are the ones who are free.

I met few on yahoo chatrooms, few on my business forum and just today I met iranian lady who is now athiest, she is in US now.

all are former shia.

I too have met many Iranian atheists and agnostics - many of my professors and colleagues in academia were secular Iranians.

such reliable and academic ways for conducting survey and giving out statistics! go ahead and make up other claims

it is interesting how people have taken this as a fact and took the time to answer or analyse these claims!

many of my professors and colleagues in academia were secular Iranians.

maybe that's because Iranian atheists go to the universities in the west and become successful but other nationality atheists go to dance clubs!

... my professors and colleagues in academia ... Iranian atheists, Baha'is, and agnostics find it difficult to distinguish Islam from their experiences with the Iranian government ...

a professor of university can not distinguish Islam teachings from political trends?

you can distinguish between takfiri terrorists and Jihad in Islam, can't you?  if you cant you have to leave islam because of takfiri terrorists ...

these are just excuses, to justify the abandonment  of Islam.

whoever told you: I have left Islam because of this guy and that guy, tell him: there's no need to give reasons, Allah knows best!

Edited by mesbah

it is interesting how people have taken this as a fact and took the time to answer or analyse these claims!

care bro! you also one them with your multiquote and answers!! loool

oh ! now I think I also got stuck in what you said!! again Loool

care bro! you also one them with your multiquote and answers!! loool

oh ! now I think I also got stuck in what you said!! again Loool

No I didn't ... oh I'm stuck again loool

Joking apart, the perspective was different

(philosophical, ain't it?)

Bismillah,

In last few years all most all in fact all murtad (one who leaves Islam) I met were shia and specially from Iran, why do shia turns up athiest?

any particular reason?

once, I had a poll on facebook in ex-muslims group and found that only 15% ex-muslims had been shia before leaving Islam including converts from sunni islam to shia one.

Salam,

I dont think we need to worry because no true shia are becoming athiest. People are ignorant by choice and you never hear about the guy who asked Allah for the truth and didnt get it.

This reminds of two people both born shia:

-A relative who found the evolution theory plausible and thought "Well scientists cant be wrong now can they..." ( He has never heard of Charles Darwin or Richard Dawkins and his only explanation is: we come from apes and therefore no god).Sadly he is a very kind person.

-A friend whos an agnostic because according to him "if there was a god why would there be poverty". He is also a very nice person.

Of course if they wanted answers numerous books have been written to answer their questions. But they think they are trapped and that theyll be liberated sadly they are the ones who are trapped and we are the ones who are free.

oh.........so according to you what is the definition of "true shia"?........... one who can never be an ex-shia is true shia?