Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sunni Girl Who Wants To Marry A Shia Boy

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamualaikum everyone. I couldn't fit my entire issue in the topic title. Honestly, I have more than one issue. I'll start with the first.  As the title says, I am a sunni girl from Pakistan who is of marrying age, and is interested in marrying  a man I have known since I was probably 11 or 12 years old.  He also wants to marry me, but as the title shows, he is Shia. Both of us are invested deeply in our faith, and both of our parents know that we are interested in each other. But because of the Shia Sunni conflict, they don't agree.  And his parents seem to have more of a problem with me than mine do with his. In all honesty, my parents don't have that much of an issue with him, they have an issue with his parents.  So I'm stuck there. 

Next issue: Not because of this, but a long time ago, I started doing research about the Sunni Shia split, why it happened, etc etc.  I had another friend who is Shia teach me a lot as he was more knowledgeable.  A lot of what was said made so much more sense to me than my own sunni history.  The history behind the ahlul-bayt and everything, it just made more sense.  I debated reverting to Shiasm but I know my parents would not approve of it.  I also feel that since I only learned from a Shia side of things, it may be a little biased. Basically I am asking for reasons to stay with sunnism or revert.  As I said, the history makes sense, but I don't know. Maybe it just doesn't feel right.  I am very conflicted.

Just for the record, as stated earlier, I am a very practicing muslim.  I wear a hijab, pray, read quran, etc my faith is very important to me.  I just don't understand what to do. Jazakallah Khair

• Moderators

Assalamualaikum everyone. I couldn't fit my entire issue in the topic title. Honestly, I have more than one issue. I'll start with the first.  As the title says, I am a sunni girl from Pakistan who is of marrying age, and is interested in marrying  a man I have known since I was probably 11 or 12 years old.  He also wants to marry me, but as the title shows, he is Shia. Both of us are invested deeply in our faith, and both of our parents know that we are interested in each other. But because of the Shia Sunni conflict, they don't agree.  And his parents seem to have more of a problem with me than mine do with his. In all honesty, my parents don't have that much of an issue with him, they have an issue with his parents.  So I'm stuck there. 

Next issue: Not because of this, but a long time ago, I started doing research about the Sunni Shia split, why it happened, etc etc.  I had another friend who is Shia teach me a lot as he was more knowledgeable.  A lot of what was said made so much more sense to me than my own sunni history.  The history behind the ahlul-bayt and everything, it just made more sense.  I debated reverting to Shiasm but I know my parents would not approve of it.  I also feel that since I only learned from a Shia side of things, it may be a little biased. Basically I am asking for reasons to stay with sunnism or revert.  As I said, the history makes sense, but I don't know. Maybe it just doesn't feel right.  I am very conflicted.

Just for the record, as stated earlier, I am a very practicing muslim.  I wear a hijab, pray, read quran, etc my faith is very important to me.  I just don't understand what to do. Jazakallah Khair

Salam sister, 

Since you stated that you are already muslim(a), you wouldn't need to 'revert' to become Shia. 

The only change would be to accept the Imamate and Wilayat of Ahl Al Bayt(a.s). 

There are many brothers and sisters on this site who have done this. Maybe they could give you better answers. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Regarding the first issue your marriage is considered Halal according to seyed Sistani and some other's fatwa(of course this is related to the shias who follow shia Maraji ) 

The second issue is just a matter of thinking and findig out about the truth. You have to seek for the right path and as soon as you are done with being convinced with that shia is the only way for felicity do not hesitate to choose however for informing your parents about your revert you ought to take some cautions approaches so do not rush to share it with them unless you observe every aspect and consequence  

• Advanced Member

Assalaam Alaikum sister, people above me have given beneficial replies, as mighdad said those are your 2 current issues to deal with, and to reiterate, according to both Shia and Sunni aqeedah, nothing is wrong with the marriage and is acceptable. 

there is however another issue you should know of, your potential children, what sect are they gonna follow? eventually they have to chose one, and this often leads to a huge conflict between parents of different schools especially if they are both very big devotees of their school. My advice would be to study as much as you can about Shia-ism, for it is the right path (I used to be a staunch Sunni-salafi, but am now Shia AlhumduLilah and can tell you that i do not regret it one bit) but that is something for you to undertake and study on your own. If you decide to stay sunni then you should first have a honest conversation with this man regarding any potential children and what path they will follow, and only when all things have been discussed and addressed then I advise you to make a decision, InshAllah I wish all the best happens for you