Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
saberrider

Why Do Shias Perform Matam, Or Self-Flagellation ?

Rate this topic

In the name of Allah. Salam. Welcome to the forum again. :)

There are many reasons shiite muslims commemorate the day of Ashura.

And you can study the concept of the Days of God, especially Ashura with this video here;

Though the Hujjatul-Islam in the video adresses your question also, I just want to add that the way people and nations celebrate and mourn might differ. And self-flagellation was a custom that sadly continued to exist in some nations. However, most shia muslim scholars do not approve it and you can study their fatwas (rulings) against it here; http://tatbir.org/?page_id=98 And, it is a minority among shia muslims that sadly perform it, despite though its irrationality and the fatwas of shia jurisprudents against it.

Again, with not focusing on the differences of nations in the ways of matam and azadari (mourning), you can study the wisdom in matam with the video I shared. I am sure you'll like it. ma salam

Edited by HamzaTR

In the name of Allah. Salam. Welcome to the forum again. :)

There are many reasons shiite muslims commemorate the day of Ashura.

And you can study the concept of the Days of God, especially Ashura with this video here;

Though the Hujjatul-Islam in the video adresses your question also, I just want to add that the way people and nations celebrate and mourn might differ. And self-flagellation was a custom that sadly continued to exist in some nations. However, most shia muslim scholars do not approve it and you can study their fatwas (rulings) against it here; http://tatbir.org/?page_id=98 And, it is a minority among shia muslims that sadly perform it, despite though its irrationality and the fatwas of shia jurisprudents against it.

Again, with not focusing on the differences of nations in the ways of matam and azadari (mourning), you can study the wisdom in matam with the video I shared. I am sure you'll like it. ma salam

Thank you for the answer. Can you please post the actual youtube link ? I will watch it on proxy then. youtube is banned in Pakistan :)

And by the way, where do you personally stand on self-flagellation, HamzaTR ?

JazakAllah.

here's the link. And my stance is the same as the fatwas of the shia maraji (jurisprudents) as quoted on the page I shared.

I hope you check the video when you have time. It is an interview with a shia islamic scholar on a sunni tv channel in Turkey. ma salam