Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Imam Zainul Abedin's Extraordinary Forgiveness

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

My brother's killer

Having almost decimated the household of the Prophet and tormented the survivors as much as he could, Yazeed was determined to shore up support for his rule. He tried to instil fear in the minds of the people as his instrument of choice, to scotch all trace of dissent for his bloodbath in Iraq. Armed with immunity from prosecution, his army arrived in Medina and let loose its weapon of terror. They looted, pillaged, plundered, raped and did what they wished. The streets of Medina were flowing with innocent blood. Young girls in the hundreds were raped and killed. Having had its fill in Medina, the unit then turned its attention to Mecca. As the outrage was being repeated, news arrived of Yazeed’s death. It was feared that the license to kill could be reviewed by the new men in power. The army began to feel shaky, the people grew a little bolder and revolted and the commander of Yazeed's forces was killed.

Control passed to the deputy commander Haseen ibn Nameer. His army unit began to dissolve and scatter and soldiers deserted their command. They tried to find refuge wherever they could or to flee the territory. For some days, Haseen had to survive on very little. He decided to escape before things got worse and headed north. As he was leaving Mecca, he saw some people camped just outside town. Haseen was so hungry that he decided to approach them, the risk was probably worth it. He came close to one of the tents and who does he see – the only male survivor of the Iraq massacre. Haseen sensed that the man had not recognized his brother’s killer. His host noticed that he was hungry and provided him with food and then gave him the privacy of a comfortable tent, so he could have some rest.

After a little rest, Haseen thought it best to slip out as quickly as possible. As he was making his way out of the tent, he was surprised and confronted by his host who asked him why he was leaving in a hurry. Haseen suddenly grew bolder and said ‘Perhaps you did not recognize me?’ ‘How can I not recognize you? I know very well who you are – the man whose dagger pierced my brother’s heart’, replied his host. ‘Then why were you so kind to me? Why didn’t you make use of the opportunity and take your revenge?’ ‘That is not how we, members of the Prophet’s family, treat our enemies. You were in need of food and I gave you some. You were exhausted and I found you place to rest. You were my guest and I treat you as one’.

Haseen was completely confounded, shamelessly turned to one side and left. His host was none other than Imam Ali Zainul Abedin, the only surviving son of Imam Husain. He was in Karbala along with his family and had witnessed his family butchered by Yazeed's forces.

Haseen had killed Ali Akbar, brother of Imam Zainul Abedin.