Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Mahdi_theguideforall

Weird Beard

Rate this topic

My dear brothers in Islam, Salam alaykum.

SInce I am trying my level best to avoid sin, I have the following question regarding having a beard.

The hair on my face is still thin and grows unevenly. It is not yet thick and manly, but im pretty sure after some time it will become thick and I'll be able to grow a nice clean beard.

I am very well aware that we are not allowed to shave using a razor blade. I do not use a razor blade, but I use a trimmer.The problem is, since my hair is thin when I use a trimmer to trim my beard, all the hair comes out ! :mellow:  :mellow:  I remain with nothing at all on my face, and it looks as if I have clean shaven using a razor blade. 

Now since I try to be a good Muslim who maintains his hijab I try my level best to grow my beard as much as possible, so on average you can say I probably trim it like once a month or something. My hair growth isn't fast, its average but if you compare it with some of my friends you can say its more on the slower side.

Now the problem is, since I trim it only once a month, when my beard has grown it looks reaaalllyyy nastty. I look extremely terrible, as my beard is patchy and uneven, and the hair is thin. I try my level best to abstain from trimming it as loonngg as possible. This affects my confidence and self esteem greatly.

Now im confused.

I am trying my level best to stay away from sin  :angel: , so am I allowed to trim my beard? What am I supposed to do in such a situation? 

Just as a side note, I do taqleed of Aga Seestani. Any help would greatly be appreciateedd!!!!!!!

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Large empty space removed.

As far as a I know, it all depends on the definition of the 'beard', and the 'beard' is defined by 'urf, which is sort of like the community/societal decree.

If what you have is considered a 'beard', then you are not allowed to shave, if it isn't then you're not shaving a 'beard'. So if all you have is some random hairs growing on your face here and there, then maybe you don't have a 'beard'.

Trimming, however, is not shaving, but I'm not so sure about the ruling for that.

Go all the way. Who cares if it looks patchy? It'll fill in eventually you're right, but in the mean time, how can you stroke your 'beard' if you don't have one?

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

As far as a I know, it all depends on the definition of the 'beard', and the 'beard' is defined by 'urf, which is sort of like the community/societal decree.

If what you have is considered a 'beard', then you are not allowed to shave, if it isn't then you're not shaving a 'beard'. So if all you have is some random hairs growing on your face here and there, then maybe you don't have a 'beard'.

Trimming, however, is not shaving, but I'm not so sure about the ruling for that.

Go all the way. Who cares if it looks patchy? It'll fill in eventually you're right, but in the mean time, how can you stroke your 'beard' if you don't have one?

Thanks for the response. Well I guess we can call it a 'half beard'. You know how when a baby is born in order for him to walk first he needs to crawl. I guess what I have on my face is at the 'crawling' stage, and hopefully its on its way to the walking stage. (proper thick even beard)

Anywaz, yeah I feel you when u say I should just let it grow without trimming. But everyone says it looks so untidy, and if I dnt trim for long (I think I had gone like two months once) I also get itchy on my face. Just terrible. So I guess thats the last option that is if someone can tell me trimming in my case is haraam.

On 2/27/2014 at 4:59 PM, qwefs said:

Where you get that from?

(salam)

Here you go brother, this might help. These are rulings from Sayed Al-Sistani where he clearly prohibits the shaving of the beard for men.

http://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/search/3244/

Ladies must have beard to? Lol

Women do not grow beards brother. 

(wasalam)

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

Women do grow beards lol.....

Maybe not in the same amount but they do.

Btw so if im not aloud to shave then im going to have thinny beard all them time. Thinny and sticky.

Idk man, i know alot of muslims both very good and religious and other decent, but i have never heard of it being a must. But heard that its good (Sunnah)

On 3/1/2014 at 7:54 PM, qwefs said:

Women do grow beards lol.....

Maybe not in the same amount but they do.

Btw so if im not aloud to shave then im going to have thinny beard all them time. Thinny and sticky.

I don't know man, I know alot of Muslims both very good and religious and other decent, but I have never heard of it being a must. But heard that its good (Sunnah)

Yes I agree with you brother, women do grow beard and it is good that married women to remove it. And yes, LOL.

For the rest of what you said, what you call "thinny and sticky" is what our Prophet used to have while he was the neatest man on Earth! So there is nothing messy or dirty about that.

And for Muslims it's a must to refrain from shaving the beard, unless they don't grow it in the first place!

So if you see Muslims shaving their beard there is porblem with them, and it doesn't change the prohibition.

Many Muslims (unfortunately) commit backbiting too. Is backbiting halal then? And many other examples.

And here is another Marja's idea on the same issue:

Ayatollah Khamenei's fatwa:

Q1403: Is shaving the beard considered as sin?

A: According to obligatory caution, shaving the beard is ḥarām. Therefore, rulings and consequences of a sinful act are applied to it as a matter of caution.

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

On 3/3/2014 at 5:28 PM, qwefs said:

If I don’t shave my beard I will look like goat

Oh, I hope there is nothing wrong with your beard, and Inshaallah your beard will better soon (Sarcasm alert!)

Nobody told you to let your beard get so long that you look like a goat.

You can use something like this to trim your beard:

1066510_100506001217_MOSER.jpg

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

Bro,I have the same problem.

The only difference is that i have only ever shaved my "beard" once with a trimmer. You have to understand that we grow a beard as a form of humility so that women do not look lustfully at us. If a patchy and waht you call nasty looking beard stops women to look lustfully at you then it is doing a good job of being a beard.

I would stop trimming if i was you. I would grow it out probably until you could cut it down to an equal level.

Edited by shiamehdi14

No! that is a wrong notion. You have to make your beard look neat and tidy. Sunni wahabbis have dirty beards, where all of them look repulsive. You should look nice and clean with your beard. 

If you don't want it long, then just trim it to the minimum length that is allowed. 

Edited by SlaveOfAllah14

I read somewhere that Ali had a deficient beard because of a physical problem.  If the first Imam and infallible had a deficient beard, why should you worry?  It's the principle that counts.  I doubt very much that on the day of judgement, God will take a measuring stick out and measure your beard.  :mellow:  Just cut it very close.  According to Al-Sistani, a "number one" is sufficient.  Everybody will think you're a hispter.  :)

I read somewhere that Ali had a deficient beard because of a physical problem.  If the first Imam and infallible had a deficient beard, why should you worry?  It's the principle that counts.  I doubt very much that on the day of judgement, God will take a measuring stick out and measure your beard.  :mellow:  Just cut it very close.  According to Al-Sistani, a "number one" is sufficient.  Everybody will think you're a hispter.  :)

Can u provide the reference for the Sayyid's quote please.

Genetics and racial genes have a great effect on beard growth, so I cannot grow a fuller beard. Neither my father nor uncle has a huge beard. I have had my beard for over a year, they are not heavy, but at least they are no longer patchy beard. If you want to have at least a complete beard, buy a premium beard growth oil.

On 2/13/2014 at 6:03 AM, Mahdi_theguideforall said:

Now since I try to be a good Muslim who maintains his hijab I try my level best to grow my beard as much as possible

Salam. I have the exact same issue. I have a patchy beard so I just shave it all off.

Beard is not a hijab.

And people with full beards will get upset at the suggestion that it is, because you're indirectly suggesting that having a beard is a lady deterrent