Sign in to follow this  
Fatima Hussain

Trying To Gain Weight...

Rate this topic

Salam alaikom :D

I have the same problem

Try to not lose calories . In other words, always eat more calories than you spend . We usually spend calories while walking or running

If you consume a lot of calories and play sports , you will gain muscles instead of fat ..but if you dont consume calories a lot and make more sport, you will lose muscles and fat.

And if you eat calories without sports, you will gain fat

Examples of food that contain fat is peanut butter, cheese, nutella ,chocolate . Dont eat eggs more than 3 times a week because it makes cholosterol and more than 52 grams of chese

There is also a herb that i am going to buy ,its a secret herb ( PM me) :shifty:

Gaining weight is not about eating junk sis..... I wanted to gain weight as well and basically eating healthy did the job for me... well I never liked junk anyway LOL I'm weird maybe? I eat a lot of chicken, meat, rice, rice, rice..... vegetable soups, I'm not a big fan of breads but I try.... protein makes me gain weight..and going for walks! I can't gain a lot but that's just our metabolism, can't do much about that... the important thing is being healthy :)

How about those shakes with vitamins and protein like Ensure Plus? I used to drink some that say "helps to gain weight".

ensure-plus-retail-vanilla.png

Edited by katyushka

Asalaam Alaikum

I can't believe I'm reading this!! I look at a piece of bread and BANG I've gained 5 lbs......

Ok now to answer your question........protein shakes and full fat milk, yogurt, loads of veggies.

Okay...how does a person go about trying to gain weight without eating lots of junk food?? Any tips?  Even when I eat fast food 24/7 once I stop I immediately lose the weight. );

I had the hardest time gaining weight. I would eat all the possible junk food out there (still do) - french fries, potato chips, chocolate bars, jars of Nutella, sugared drinks like Rani and fruit juices, muffins, cakes etc etc.

In one and a half years, I swelled from 54 kgs to about 70 kgs now. I like the weight I put on, except the tummy area. I'm lazy to do any exercise, walk or jog...so now having an equally difficult time to knock my slightly bulging tummy out.

^no you don't. There are a lot of people who have serious issues gaining weight, and they don't look petite, or slender, or even fit. Idk about OP, but a lot of people that I know who have this issue just look plain unhealthy. They've got little to no meat on them and often look weak and sickly. Other health issues often occur as a result of this problem.

I hope I don't sound rude but it's not really "lucky" for anyone to be shoveling food down their throats to the point where their stomachs hurt just so they can gain a few pounds.

To answer your question, sister Fatima, I've heard that lifting weights helps, in that you gain muscle instead of fat. Also, it's better to stay away from junk food, because it can cause other health problems. There's some stuff online that you can read throu, such as this http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/health/diet-fitness/trying-to-gain-weight/index.html

Good luck!

I have found to gain weight when I was in my teens was to eat lots of protein and carbs and exercise hard. Muscle adds weight to your body that will not go away quickly like junk food weight will, and it is healthy.  You also look better and feel better.  The more muscle you build - the more you have to eat. So I guess it does get a bit pricey…  :D  

omg i wish i had this problem.......

It is not a good problem to have.  It takes a lot more effort to gain weight if you are underweight than to lose it if you are overweight.

Basically what Maryaam said.

The idea is to gain muscle mass not gain fat. If you eat junk you may gain a bit quickly but you will be gaining the wrong kind of weight (fat) which looks funny (flabby, soft, stretchy) on an otherwise slim frame. Eat proteins and carbohydrates and eat lots of them (keep cooking oil to the minimum). Exercise enough to let healthy nutrients become part of your body but don't exercise so manically that most calories you consume burn themselves up (that way you won't gain).

If you have had a good exercise regime for extended periods of time its positive effects stay with your body even if you stop exercising later: Your limbs are flexible, your muscle tone is superb, you look gorgeous etc...

Edit: Sorry sorry sorry I didn't realise it was Sisters forum; I thought it was in Health and Fitness :squeez:

Edited by Marbles

I have the same problem. Guys of my age have 20-25+ kg weight than me. :Lol: & Nothing works. I'm always full. Even two pieces of bread are enough for me to spend 6-10 hours without further eating. ^_^ & by looks, I don't seem weak. :Lol:

Edited by Shian e Ali

^no you don't. There are a lot of people who have serious issues gaining weight, and they don't look petite, or slender, or even fit. Idk about OP, but a lot of people that I know who have this issue just look plain unhealthy. They've got little to no meat on them and often look weak and sickly. Other health issues often occur as a result of this problem.

I hope I don't sound rude but it's not really "lucky" for anyone to be shoveling food down their throats to the point where their stomachs hurt just so they can gain a few pounds.

To answer your question, sister Fatima, I've heard that lifting weights helps, in that you gain muscle instead of fat. Also, it's better to stay away from junk food, because it can cause other health problems. There's some stuff online that you can read throu, such as this http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/health/diet-fitness/trying-to-gain-weight/index.html

Good luck!

Ah, don't worry, I do not look unhealthy.  I'm around 110 and 5'0 (it is pretty hard to look REALLY thin at this height anyways)...It is just that I know my husband would prefer if I weighed more (around 10-20 more pounds).

Edited by Fatima Hussain

Ah, don't worry, I do not look unhealthy.  I'm around 110 and 5'0 (it is pretty hard to look REALLY thin at this height anyways)...It is just that I know my husband would prefer if I weighed more (around 10-20 more pounds).

Why do you want to be fat for your husband? Don't you know clogging your arteries is bad for your health. You are at a very good weight for your height. I'm a few inches taller than you and a few pounds heavier. 

Trust me, you shouldn't gain more weight than you are currently at because sometimes your body will not be able to handle. My skinny sister who is exactly at your height also tried to 'gain' weight and she succeed but then eventually her cholesterol level raised to an alarming rate.

A lot of this has to do with genetic. My husband and every members of his family can gain 10 - 20 lbs easily without getting their body messed up but folks in my family cannot because all of us don't have the genes to help us tolerate the weight gain.

Learn to love your body. 

Sister take gypsy's advice!!

An adult who is 110 pounds

and is 5 feet 0 inches tall has

a body mass index of 21.5.

That's great! An adult with a body mass index between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered to have a healthy bmi

(I have BMI of 13/14 , say alhamdulilah youre not unhealthy as me lol)

Edited by -Enlightened

110# and 5'0" is fine.

You could exercise to build muscle, which would add weight but probably wouldn't satisfy your husband if he wants you to look a little chubby. Your husband is short-sighted. Presumably you plan to have a child someday. After that, you will have a motherly soft squishy shape no matter what you eat.

I dont think its right to say she wants to be "fat" for husband. Gainning a few pounds is fine if it makes you look and feel better.

If you move alot and stress ( mentally)you should cut down on that. Eat more calories, so if you eat 1500 calories in your normal deit then eat doudle that to gain weight.

Remmber that even if you eat you may not gain weight because your body is programmed to a certain weight. Good luck.

Salams

Why do you want to be fat for your husband? Don't you know clogging your arteries is bad for your health. You are at a very good weight for your height. I'm a few inches taller than you and a few pounds heavier. 

Trust me, you shouldn't gain more weight than you are currently at because sometimes your body will not be able to handle. My skinny sister who is exactly at your height also tried to 'gain' weight and she succeed but then eventually her cholesterol level raised to an alarming rate.

A lot of this has to do with genetic. My husband and every members of his family can gain 10 - 20 lbs easily without getting their body messed up but folks in my family cannot because all of us don't have the genes to help us tolerate the weight gain.

Learn to love your body. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting to gain a few more pounds to please your husband.  And do you think I want to gain pure fat?  Of course not.  I want to do strength exercises for my legs and eating more will help build muscle and of course I would like to gain some fat, but I don't want to look like jelly.

110# and 5'0" is fine.

You could exercise to build muscle, which would add weight but probably wouldn't satisfy your husband if he wants you to look a little chubby. Your husband is short-sighted. Presumably you plan to have a child someday. After that, you will have a motherly soft squishy shape no matter what you eat.

Nahh, he definitely likes the muscles too, just not big arm muscles or freakish abs.  And I do not plan on ever having children.  My mother did not get a "squishy" look after childbirth though, she just got a bit of a stomach pooch, if you know what I mean.  She is 5'7 and a size 4 or 6 in clothes, but she never overeats and tries to keep fit.  Before she had kids she was 110 (not good for her height).

Edited by Fatima Hussain

Hello sister,

If you are healthy; perhaps it is your constitution. My advice is to have a healthy choice of food and to make a note how alive and well you feel when you eat fresh vegtables and fruits. I wouldn't go near those 'protein drinks'. What is important is to have a healthy system that can support the mind to be bright.  

Edited by Salehe

That is very good for your height although I get why you want to gain more. I'm about the same height but weigh alot less so I guess this thread is applicable to me :P

There is nothing wrong with wanting to gain a few more pounds to please your husband.  And do you think I want to gain pure fat?  Of course not.  I want to do strength exercises for my legs and eating more will help build muscle and of course I would like to gain some fat, but I don't want to look like jelly.

You know how folks always say that a lot of girls/women (especially in the west) are influenced by models in Cosmo/Vogue magazine. The same is also true in our community. Have you never wonder why so many women (after 30+) are overweight and obese? It's the dumb Arabic culture that emphasize fattiness factor (as a sign of beauty) but not health first. Stop being obsessed by men and women who try to tell you that being 10 or 20 extra pounds from your normal natural weight would make you look more pleasing to your husband. This is just a backward village mentality; when starving malnourished skinny kids/women were contrast with well fed folks. I used to live in this stupid Arabian culture where I was constantly asked to gain more fat because that community seems to value women who looked like potatoes with bad posture.

And no, only some rare people can gain healthy 10-20 pounds (mostly men who works out in the gym building muscles). My sister who is exactly 5' and about 100 Lbs is not skinny at all. She gained 10 pounds a year ago but her cholesterol levels went up. And no, she didn't get unhealthy fat. She's the most athletic person I know: goes to gym everyday, runs every 5000K race every Saturday and swim every Sunday.

Islam doesn't really emphasize on overeating or focusing too much on food. Most of the hadiths are dealing with not to feed you too much. Remember what Imam Ali said about 1/3 of your stomach should be water, 1/3 should be air and only 1/3 should be food.

If you are interested in building muscles, then you can workout in the gym and eat very high protein diet. You'll gain weight but it will be all muscles not extra fat on your body. 

At the end of the day, I think if someone loves you, then he will love every part of you even when you are not physically perfect.

Edited by Gypsy