Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

Sistani: Going To Gym Where Women Are Not Allowed

Rate this topic

The fatwa says it all

Question: Is it haram for me to go to to a gym ( a training center for body builders) where women and men both can sign up for training there? It is nearly impoossible to find a gym that is only restricted for men, here in Scandinavia (Denmark). How should I act?

Answer: It is not allowed.

The top priority for a real Muslim is to observe the Islamic rulings wherever he/ she might be, no matter how difficult it could be. And if a Muslim is situated in a place where he/ she can't fulfil his/ her duties the Qur'an recommends emigrating to another place.

إن الذین توفاهم الملائکة ظالمی أنفسهم قالوا فیم کنتم قالوا کنا مستضعفین فی الأرض قالوا ألم تکن أرض الله واسعة فتهاجروا فیها>

(al-nisaa': 97)

<Indeed, those whom angels take [in death] while being sinful against their souls, [the angels] will say: "In what condition were you?"  They will say: "We were weak and oppressed in the land." The angels will say: "Was not the earth of Allah spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?">

lol, so funny when a bunch of die hard Usooli taqleed lovers get a ruling they dont like...

Then all of a sudden its, "Oh if I just tweak this or that I can bypass the ruling" logic

HAHAHAHAHA

Always entertaining...

Curves is an only woman but have men staff... Not allowed.

Someone should make a gym for both genders that is totally separate with dif entrances but same building. That would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure if you opened a men only gym in the US you would be sued for discrimination. But for some reason women only gyms are fine.

I think some universities and YMCA facilities have men only and women only rooms.

I'm pretty sure if you opened a men only gym in the US you would be sued for discrimination. But for some reason women only gyms are fine.

I think some universities and YMCA facilities have men only and women only rooms.

Hmm, I think half the reason kaffir men go to gyms is to show off to women anyway.

What a funny thread..when you think of ALLL the things women are prohibited from doing due to hijab, and are condemned from whining about it, this is just not so heartbreaking :P Men have it good in a lot of ways in terms of physical comfort and open access to activities that women could only dream of..

I am sure a lot of Muslim men go to gyms even though they are co-ed as they feel (incorrectly) that hijab is solely the responsibility of the women.  If non-Muslim women come to the same gym they find excuse for still attending and give some weird reasoning or that they close their eyes or something. :D

I am glad that you got this ruling and as notme said – it does not reflect the all too common double standard. Yay!

The current problem with men only gyms in the west is that they are then seen as a gathering place for gays. The women’s only gym, Curves, is pathetic – it is not worthy of the name of gym.  It is a small circle of inadequate strange and very small machinery that women go on and then change to the next one as the gym-meister calls “Change!”  I tried it once and felt like a trained monkey – and I cant think of any good it does for you – your heart rate doesn’t even go up.  TBH, I never saw any male “instructors”.

The university had women only gym time and the YWCA has a women only gym and I have found women only pool hours that women have fought for.  Men should fight for the same based on the same reasoning…so it comes out of the gay zone of thinking.

Anyway – yes we need the Pakistan style separate gyms, pools etc. So men, do something about it!!

Well the fatwa is pretty straight forward. To all the brothers trying to justify going to a unisex gym, there is no justification for it. If you do the taqleed of Aga Seestani, I guess you are probably Sinnning.

My advice: buy some weights and workout at home. For cardio go jogging every morning, or get a treadmill if possible!

I just went to my gym ( previous gym) and cancelled my membership.

Employee who is a black American asked me why. I told him religious reasons and explained that in such places there are many opportunities for arousement and lust

He said " just look down "

I told him that a righteoustness requires a person should not go to such place where such things could arise.

He asked if I read the Quran and then I asked him if he did as well. He said he's a religious Christian and that he knows Muslims believe Hazrat Isa peace be upon him is a Prophet but we do not believe he's God.

He said Salam to me to which I replied " As Salamu Alaikum...peace be upon you "

I'm still thinking about what steps to take to get a full workout now because I don't have dumbbells at this moment that are heavier tha 8 pounds lol

Employee who is a black American asked me why. I told him religious reasons and explained that in such places there are many opportunities for arousement and lust

I told him that a righteoustness requires a person should not go to such place where such things could arise.

He asked if I read the Quran and then I asked him if he did as well. He said he's a religious Christian and that he knows Muslims believe Hazrat Isa peace be upon him is a Prophet but we do not believe he's God.

He said Salam to me to which I replied " As Salamu Alaikum...peace be upon you "

I'm still thinking about what steps to take to get a full workout now because I don't have dumbbells at this moment that are heavier tha 8 pounds lol

Brother, I'm not sure that you can say 'salam' to a non-muslim.

Have you heard of Shick Asad Qasser? He comes on Al Kawthar TV. It's in Arabic. Anyway, I emailed him about the issue few months ago about mixed gyms and he said it's allowed. In my case I was asking about a woman going to a gym with guys in it, and he said as long as I wear something loose and respected and not really touch any guy or be super close. It's ok. 

Tbh, I think is fine if you go to a mixed gym if you keep your distance from the opposite sex and just concentrate on yourself. Plus, there are gyms that are mostly guys.. u know the very intensive body building ones.. you get the odd girls.. but not often. Also, you could time yourself to go when the gym isn't crowded with girls like at nights. 

I think it's a personal choice. Have fun

Curves is an only woman but have men staff... Not allowed.
Someone should make a gym for both genders that is totally separate with dif entrances but same building. That would be awesome.

Lol that separate gym u r talking about is in Saudi and it's very expensive! :p

What a funny thread..when you think of ALLL the things women are prohibited from doing due to hijab, and are condemned from whining about it, this is just not so heartbreaking :P Men have it good in a lot of ways in terms of physical comfort and open access to activities that women could only dream of..

I am sure a lot of Muslim men go to gyms even though they are co-ed as they feel (incorrectly) that hijab is solely the responsibility of the women.  If non-Muslim women come to the same gym they find excuse for still attending and give some weird reasoning or that they close their eyes or something. :D

I am glad that you got this ruling and as notme said – it does not reflect the all too common double standard. Yay!

The current problem with men only gyms in the west is that they are then seen as a gathering place for gays. The women’s only gym, Curves, is pathetic – it is not worthy of the name of gym.  It is a small circle of inadequate strange and very small machinery that women go on and then change to the next one as the gym-meister calls “Change!”  I tried it once and felt like a trained monkey – and I cant think of any good it does for you – your heart rate doesn’t even go up.  TBH, I never saw any male “instructors”.

The university had women only gym time and the YWCA has a women only gym and I have found women only pool hours that women have fought for.  Men should fight for the same based on the same reasoning…so it comes out of the gay zone of thinking.

Anyway – yes we need the Pakistan style separate gyms, pools etc. So men, do something about it!!

Curves is really pathetic, and they don't even have a pool. The pool is the only reason I even consider going to the gym. You can totally go to mix gyms and use the pool during work hours. I usually had the place all for myself in the morning. I think there are ways around it. 

you could do workout challenge videos 

This is from one of Sayed Sistani's offices:

Can a man go to a gym where women can also go?

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

It is not permissible if that involve haram act

Wassalamu