Sign in to follow this  
IbnSohan

In The Lions Den

Rate this topic

daniel-in-lions-den-3.jpg

It is narrated in the history books that a woman in Khurasan at the time of Imam Ridha claimed that she is from the line of Ali and Fatimah, she used that linage as a reason to annoy/harm the people of her area. When Imam Ridha heard her story, he called her and asked her about her linage which he did not recognize, so he told her that her linage is improper and she dose not belong to Ali and Fatimah. The woman went angry and insulted the Imam.

Imam took the woman to the local governor who had a pond full of lions. Imam Ridha declared that those who belong to Ali and Fatimah, the lions will not eat their flesh. So he asked the woman to come down to lions, she refused. The governor then asked Imam Ridha to come down to lions, Imam Ridha did and to their surprise, the lions instead of jumping on Imam, they all placed their heads down. Then the governor forced the woman to go down to lions and lions tore her apart. Her story was known as Zainab the liar.

It is narrated that Al-mutawakkil one day brought three lions to his palace, he then invited Imam Hadi and entered him to the palace and closed the door behind him, leaving him with the lions, Imam Hadi was seen with lions around him while he touched them on head with his palm. Almutawakkil to his surprise and fear, opened the door and let Imam Hadi go.

it is also narrated that those around almutawakkil asked him to do like his "cousin" lol, he told that that they only wanted to see him dead.

I heard it was Imam al-Hadi (A.S).

You are correct! 

I've read it first in a book about imam Ridha ages ago, so when i googled it for this thread i used the key words imam ridha + lions den. Many websites and books attribute this story to Imam Ridha. I tried to find an original text of the story to verify which Imam this story happened with. It happened with Imam Hadi, the confusion came due to the usage of "ibn alridha" as description of Imam Alhadi. Probably the tow stories above are but one story

http://www.mezan.net/mawsouat/hadi/12.html

daniel-in-lions-den-3.jpg

It is narrated in the history books that a woman in Khurasan at the time of Imam Ridha claimed that she is from the line of Ali and Fatimah, she used that linage as a reason to annoy/harm the people of her area. When Imam Ridha heard her story, he called her and asked her about her linage which he did not recognize, so he told her that her linage is improper and she dose not belong to Ali and Fatimah. The woman went angry and insulted the Imam.

Imam took the woman to the local governor who had a pond full of lions. Imam Ridha declared that those who belong to Ali and Fatimah, the lions will not eat their flesh. So he asked the woman to come down to lions, she refused. The governor then asked Imam Ridha to come down to lions, Imam Ridha did and to their surprise, the lions instead of jumping on Imam, they all placed their heads down. Then the governor forced the woman to go down to lions and lions tore her apart. Her story was known as Zainab the liar.

Salam. 

I don't believe that the Imam(a.s) would have allowed the women to be put in the Lions den or consented to that.

Lying about lineage is not a capital crime in Islam. The main responsibility of the Imam(a.s) is to see that Haqq is done. 

That would not be Haqq. 

Salam. 

I don't believe that the Imam(a.s) would have allowed the women to be put in the Lions den or consented to that.

Lying about lineage is not a capital crime in Islam. The main responsibility of the Imam(a.s) is to see that Haqq is done. 

That would not be Haqq. 

Thats correct. It is different accounts  of the same story. According to the book of Khara'ij, it was the Mutawakil who ordered that Zainab be thrown to lions, in the same book it is mentioned that Mutawakil's mother asked him to gift her Zainab's life.

I recall that after the Imam went in the den and came out without harm, Mutawakkil told the woman that now it is her turn to go inside.
She cried that "no, I lied. I am not from Ahlul Bayt(Hd. Zainab)." Mutawakkil said, "now it is too late" and his guards threw her inside the den.

A side note: It is indeed a capital crime to claim to be from Ahlul Bayt and thus betraying people. Like all the fake Mahdis do.

Edited by Shiabro

I recall that after the Imam went in the den and came out without harm, Mutawakkil told the woman that now it is her turn to go inside.
She cried that "no, I lied. I am not from Ahlul Bayt(Hd. Zainab)." Mutawakkil said, "now it is too late" and his guards threw her inside the den.

A side note: It is indeed a capital crime to claim to be from Ahlul Bayt and thus betraying people. Like all the fake Mahdis do.

True, that what happened according to one account of the story.

The story i first posted was based on what is mentioned in the book of Matalib Al-So'ol, by some Shafi'i scholar, he narrated that the story happened to Imam Alridha. It is on Almilani website:

http://www.al-milani.com/library/lib-pg.php?booid=21&mid=278&pgid=2793

Then there is another story about Imam Hadi with Mutawakkil, in this story there is no mention of Zainab the liar. The mutawakil just decided to throw Imam Hadi to lions.It is in Yanabi'e Almawadah and the Hanafi author claim that Mas'oudi narrated the story.

True, that what happened according to one account of the story.

The story i first posted was based on what is mentioned in the book of Matalib Al-So'ol, by some Shafi'i scholar, he narrated that the story happened to Imam Alridha. It is on Almilani website:

http://www.al-milani.com/library/lib-pg.php?booid=21&mid=278&pgid=2793

Then there is another story about Imam Hadi with Mutawakkil, in this story there is no mention of Zainab the liar. The mutawakil just decided to throw Imam Hadi to lions.It is in Yanabi'e Almawadah and the Hanafi author claim that Mas'oudi narrated the story.

Oh bro I heard the Zainab the Liar story was with Imam al-Hadi...

2 more similar stories occurred to Imam Musa Alkadhim/Alridha and Imam Al'askari peace be upon them all.

The first was mentioned by Ibn Tawoos that Alrashid once woke up , he called upon his guard and ordered him to take out Ali Alridha from prison then throw him in lions den, the guard did as he was told. The next day they went to check on the Imam, they found him praying while lions sat around him.

Ibn Tawoos commented "This most likely happened to Imam Musa but I am re documenting it as i found it where Imam Ridha is the one.

The other story is about Imam Askari. It is narrated that Imam Al'askari was held as prisoner to a man called Nehrir who was the trainer of lions of Khalifah. Once the Imam was imprisoned in his house, the wife of Nehrir noticed his prayers and worship so she talked to her husband about her concerns " be careful and don't harm the man in our house, I fear that something bad could happen to us if we did " Her husband went angry from her warning so he decided to throw the Imam to lions, he sought permission from khalifah and he was granted it.

After few hours, they checked on Imam Askari excepting to find  remains of dead corps but instead they found him praying while lions surrounded him.

The theme of lions with Imams is recurrent. Imam Ali has many encounters with them if the stories are correct. Imam Husain body was not touched by hungry wild animals the day after Ashura. Imam Sadiq mentioned in hadiths that Imams flesh is forbidden on carivora. I wonder if there is something attached to this theme more than it is telling us that those men are the inheritors of prophets?

mashallah :) are there anymore narrations like this about our imams  (as)

There are some stories about Imam Ali, I am not sure about their authenticity which is why i did not bring them here, also the theme was different . I brought the common story of an Imam entrapped with lions.