Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Little_Socrates

Muslims Heading Towards Two Opposing Extremes

Rate this topic

Bismillah

Salaamalikum

I have been noticing more and more that Muslims are heading down a path of two extremes. One being overly conservative to the point where we start killing or disliking people and having no life other than prayers and Dua all day 24/7.

The other being overly liberal throwing away our Hijabs and abandoning all our principles to blend in to the western society which some of us live in. This has resulted in People being pro homosexuality while at the same time calling themselves Muslims and shaking hands with non mahrams while saying they are Muslims.

In what way can we balance these two extremes out so tht we neither go astray from our core beliefs nor do we isolate ourselves but remain practicing and at the same time blend in with society in a halal manner? Why do I feel this is been hard to achieve for most of us?

(bismillah)

(salam)

"And the heaven He raised and imposed the balance" (55:7).

"That you not transgress within the balance" (55:8).

"Therefore, maintain just measure and do not transgress against the Balance" (55:9).

Moderation. The solution to the world's problems.

Not extreme greed (capitalism), not communism, but in between.

Not extreme freedom (nudity etc), not extreme conservatism (removal of women from society), but in between.

Not extreme self-deprivation, not extreme self-indulgence, but in between.

Not extreme miserliness, not extreme lavishness, but in between.

Not extreme pacifism, not extreme violence, but in between (self-defence fighting allowed only).

Not extreme amounts of time spent in worship, not extreme amounts of time spent in earning a living, but in between.

Islam = Moderation.

20:35

(wasalam)

Edited by Grief

Bismillah

Salaamalikum

I have been noticing more and more that Muslims are heading down a path of two extremes. One being overly conservative to the point where we start killing or disliking people and having no life other than prayers and Dua all day 24/7.

The other being overly liberal throwing away our Hijabs and abandoning all our principles to blend in to the western society which some of us live in. This has resulted in People being pro homosexuality while at the same time calling themselves Muslims and shaking hands with non mahrams while saying they are Muslims.

In what way can we balance these two extremes out so tht we neither go astray from our core beliefs nor do we isolate ourselves but remain practicing and at the same time blend in with society in a halal manner? Why do I feel this is been hard to achieve for most of us?

Shaking hands doesn't make you a kafir.

What's bad about worshipping 24/7? It's a good thing.

Your absolutly right but i think he meant dry worship.

(salam)

Of course worship is a good thing. What I meant was doing too much of it to the point where one wastes their whole life in worship that they have not done or achieved anything else. It is like a child who is always studying for school, day in and day out, and spends every complete day of their life studying and doing nothing else. They do not know of anything other than books etc.

(wasalam)  

How do you guys manage to find the time to look so deeply at the problems of other people unless you are yourself free of errors and don't need the scrutiny and corrections yourself? I say this because guidance and misguidance is from Allah who is just, and when I look at another believer I always, always find my own self inferior and lacking and therefore deserving of my attention.

(salam)

Of course worship is a good thing. What I meant was doing too much of it to the point where one wastes their whole life in worship that they have not done or achieved anything else. It is like a child who is always studying for school, day in and day out, and spends every complete day of their life studying and doing nothing else. They do not know of anything other than books etc.

(wasalam)

Oh ok.

(bismillah)

(Salam)

Show me an authentic narration?

"One of the companions of the Holy Prophet, Uthman ibn Maza’un, devoted himself to Allah's worship to such an extent that he kept fast practically everyday, as well as regular nightly vigils in prayers. His wife brought the matter to the attention of the Prophet, who reacted with visible annoyance and proceeded at once to where his companion was and said:

"O Uthman! Know that Allah has not deputed me to encourage any monastic life. My Shariah laws are meant for enhancing and facilitating human accomplishment of their natural lives. Personally, I offer my prayers, keep fast and maintain my conjugal relations. Accordingly, to follow me in Islam means conforming to the traditions laid down by me, which include the requirement that men and women should marry and live together harmoniously""

- Al-Islam

(wasalam)

Edited by Grief

I think mainly because most Muslims are presented with only two extreme versions of Islam. Either you behave like a Prophet and live exactly like him or if you fail then you are an evil person like Firaun (Pharaoh).

If you haven't realized yet, most people cannot really model themselves after either of the men.

That's why I sometimes think that you need to create a moderate path for you based on good people you know in the world (society) rather than trying to live up to the idea of true of perfection. 

Edited by Gypsy

Well to balance your life you need to follow this rule :"Look at your marja's risalah. Then do what you find Wajib and refrain from what you find Haram."

Mustahabbat are needed but recommended. It's just good to do them as long as they don't violate the rule above.

For example if a man perform too many Salats that he can't find a time to get a job and make money for his family, he actually left a Wajib alone in favor of a Mustahab and will not be rewarded!

And if a woman, prays too much that she can't spare some time every day to spend with her husband, she too has left a Wajib in favor of a Mustahab and will not be rewarded either.

Other examples of these contradiction could be found in our everyday life, with the help of a risalah!