Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam Alayakom dear brothers and sisters!

I just want to know why we can't ONLY follow the Quran? Why do we follow hadeeths aswell? And how can we be so so sure about the hadeeths when it's written by man?

I am having a discussion with a sunni who says that he only follows the Quran. 

I just want to know why we can't ONLY follow the Quran? Why do we follow hadeeths aswell? And how can we be so so sure about the hadeeths when it's written by man?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Because Allah(swt) commanded us to follow the prophet(pbuh), and that Islam is incomplete if you follow only the Noble Quran by itself.

"O ye who believe! obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: that is best, and most suitable for final determination. (4: 59)."

I want you to show your friend this noble verse and let him ponder over it. Allah(swt) is stating here, that whenever the Muslims differ with them selves on any issue that they face, then they should always refer back to the prophet(pbuh) for answers. If you're friend is facing an issue, how will he refer back to the prophet(pbuh) when he is not physically present in our age and time? It is also very silly to believe that this Aya, was only addressed to only the Muslim generation that lived with the prophet(pbuh), when the Noble Quran itself is entirely revealed for humanity to follow and act upon. 

Moreover, the only way to day to refer back to the prophet(pbuh) today, when he is not physically present in our age, is by referring to the authentic Ahadith because that is the only source available to us today to reach the prophet(pbuh).

Ahadith were written by man, yes, but was Islam also not established by a man? If you are going to reject a book of Ahadith simply because it is written by a man, then what drives you to accept the Noble Quran as being authentic if it was brought down to us a man as well? I could play the devil's advocate and argue of why God himself would not bring down the Noble Quran himself instead of trusting men to send it to humanity on his behalf. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, no matter what angle you look at Islam, the truth still holds true with the Quran and Sunnah of the prophet(pbuh) and his Ahlulbayt(as).

Moreover, with all due respect to your friend, but he is foolish to simply reject Ahadith out of ignorance, especially when the science itself is very deep and complex. 

I advice your friend to give Hadith a chance if he is sincere enough and try to look at it's sciences from a non-Quranist viewpoint. 

May Allah(swt) guide him.

(wasalam)

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh

We as Muslims - submitters- were given no permission to pick and choose after a law been down

It is not fitting for a believing man or a believing woman to have an option in their affairs when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Rasool; and whoever disobeys Allah and His Rasool has indeed strayed into a clearly wrong path.
33:36

So the question should be, is there a proof that what prophet said and did should be followed? the answer is yes, and the answer is in the Quran itself
Hashr:7, Anfal:34,  Nisa:65, Al Imran:31, Nahl:44.
It is Allah's order that we should follow what prophet said, more than that, Allah's in Quran stated that His messenger words are not opinions but divine revelation 
and neither does he speak out of his own desire:
that [which he conveys to you] is but [a divine] inspiration with which he is being inspired -
Najm3-4

Prophet was not oblivious to what will happen after him, that many people will lie and fabricate hadith, he stated that clearly to people in Madinah" There will be many liars after me who claim that I said what I did not,whoever tell lies about me, he is reserving his seat in hell"

So prophet was aware of this dilemma that many Muslims are in today, he knew that a day will come where it will be hard to tell which are prophet's words and which are not. But Quran said something about the character of our prophet 
There has certainly come to you a Messenger from among yourselves. Grievous to him is what you suffer; [he is] concerned over you and to the believers is kind and merciful.

9:128

If he knew and he cared, then he should have done something? After all he is the last prophet and people would not have another chance to consult a connection between them and Allah, their creator.

Prophet actually was merciful and taught us that Quran alone is not the way, he also told us about the pure source to reach his sunnah, he said "Verily, I am leaving behind two precious things (thaqalayn) among you: the Book of God and my kindred (`itrah), my household (Ahl al-Bayt), for indeed, the two will never separate until they come back to me by the Pond (of al-­Kawthar on the Day of Judgment)."

​Prophet said (and his words are wahi as per Quran words, his words must be followed as per Quran commands) that to save yourself hold on 2 things, he did not say hold on one of them or either of them but hold on the tow of them "Book of Allah and his household"

I hope that I was beneficial.

Bismillah Ta'aala

We have two kinds of ahadith, some hadiths fall into the category of what is called qat'i and another is called dhanni. The former refers to the kinds of ahadith in which the preponderant evidence results in historical certainty. In other words, it gives us certainty that the Prophet (s) and the Imams (as) said what they said (like the contents of Sahifat as-Sajjadiyah). The second category are probabilistic and by following those that give us relative confidence even if probabilistic, we are free from Allah's punishment on Yawm al-Qiyama if we happen to have gotten it wrong. What this means is that we have exhausted every effort in trying to get as close as we can to the hukm of Allah instead of our own opinions and desires; and it is this niyya and effort that is rewarded to us by Allah (s w t)  as it encompasses and expresses true devotion in wanting to submit to Allah (s w t). 

So for example, we know the basis of our 12ver Shi'i madhhab is derived from the qat'iyaat which among other things includes many of our core doctrines on tawheed, nubuwwa, imamah, akhlaq and shari'ah (e.g. not killing the old, sick, children and women during war; the tahreem on the triple talaq at once etc.). In fact, many of the miracles of the Prophet (s) can be placed in this category, like the splitting of the moon which gives us more historical certainty than the existence of the Roman emperor Caesar.

Beware of this Qur'an-only approach. It is the trick of the Shayateen to get people away from obedience to our one and only true Rabb (Lord) and to taking false idols as our lords instead (e.g. our desires and whims; the khulafa, White/Western mythologies like liberalism, neo-liberalism, secularism, human rights, modern individualism, gender equality etc. etc.)

Edited by Hannibal

If you look at the sun directley, you can go blind! So the Quran is the sun [Edited], Now looking at the moon the light is softer like, it gives no blindness and adds sweetness to fruite and fragrance in flowers. Now the Quran is like the sun, and Ali "a.s" is like the moon, so he worked for the jew ( horticulture ).

Edited by inshaAllah
Inappropriate/fasle quote

If you look at the sun directley, you can go blind! So the Quran is the sun (kill a jew where ever you see him), Now looking at the moon the light is softer like, it gives no blindness and adds sweetness to fruite and fragrance in flowers. Now the Quran is like the sun, and Ali "a.s" is like the moon, so he worked for the jew ( horticulture ).

that is a terrible explanation

The Qur'an is an ambiguous book. It doesn't even tell you how to pray.

Salamun Alaykum. Just ask him why he says his fajr prayer in 2 cycles (rak'as) not 4? Where in the Quran he can find how to perform ghusl? how to clean his impure clothe? how to perform tawaf and sa'y? how to ...?

BTW, I disagree with Robin Hood in asserting that "The Qur'an is an ambiguous book". Quran is a book of guidance and may not be called as an ambiguous book. However, it does not mean that Quran includes all the details for which we have to refer to narrations. Of course, the benefits of narrations are far beyond such details and religous rulings.

As for your 2nd question it should be mentioned that only those hadeeths narrated by reliable narrators are relied on. If such narratiins may not be reliable then how your Sunni firend regards the text of Quran as reliable? I am not comparing Quran and narrations. What I mean is that if no text is to be relied on even those narrated by trustworthy narrators then no text can be reliable. Add to this the fact that there is a special field of knowledge known as 'ilm al-rijal which has a critical study of the transmitters of narrations.

The Qur'an is an ambiguous book. It doesn't even tell you how to pray.

Salam, I'm picking up on this for discussions sake. I see people use this argument a lot and it always baffles me somewhat. Its based on the supposition that there needs to be 1 specific way to pray, which is a hadith based notion. The Quran doesnt make this claim, so for a Quranist it isnt a problem, just like it isnt for Christians. Before i came to Islam it hadnt occurred to me that there should be 1 strict way for everyone to pray and its not at all obvious why that would need ot be the case. If you want to pray communally and in unison its helpful to have an agreed upon way in which you will do it, but thats a different notion than saying there should be only 1 way to do it that is acceptable.

Salam, I'm picking up on this for discussions sake. I see people use this argument a lot and it always baffles me somewhat. Its based on the supposition that there needs to be 1 specific way to pray, which is a hadith based notion. The Quran doesnt make this claim, so for a Quranist it isnt a problem, just like it isnt for Christians. Before i came to Islam it hadnt occurred to me that there should be 1 strict way for everyone to pray and its not at all obvious why that would need ot be the case. If you want to pray communally and in unison its helpful to have an agreed upon way in which you will do it, but thats a different notion than saying there should be only 1 way to do it that is acceptable.

First off, I also dont agree with the notion that the quran is ambiguous.The quran's claims over and over again: Obey Allah and the Prophet. The quran also claims that only certain people have the truth to the meaning of this quran (tafsir). The quran also claims there are decisive and allegorical verses which implies there is more to the quran then it seems. Allah also mentions the prophet has a right over the believers than the believers have on them selves which clearly denotes the notion of Sunnah. By mere logic there must be tradition since Islam is a way of life (quran), and clearly since the quran does not go deep into every single matter, for a quranist it means there are clear contradictions. We also must take note, where did this quran come from? Out of the mouth of the prophet himself. He taught mankind this religion. It is also clear there must have been issues people wanted to resolve with the prophet and these were not answers included within the quran and by the quran we must take the prophets word as God's law, thus it becomes tradition naturally. Therefore, for those who do say only quran, they are only fooling themselves and truth is clear from error. Their sense of morality, ethics, etiquette, jurisprudence will be transparent and relative because they will never have a concise answer. Thus from this you must conclude Allah is not all guiding since he has left man with ambiguity in regards to the quran only concept. Islam becomes a moot belief system by this, and clearly atheism would logically demolish this belief concept.